Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Dublin and need advice on accomidation

Options
  • 31-07-2011 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi there,

I am moving to Dublin with my partner and we are lookng for a nice two bedroom apartment to rent in the City Centre. I will be working in Smithfield and she will be working in the D2 area.

We really want to be alongside the Luas red line. Safety and a nice neighbourhood is essential so have you any tips? A possibility are the Herberton Apartments off the Fatima Luas stop. Any advice? We are looking to pay between 8-900 a month.

We are from Munster so we do not know where the rough places are in Dublin etc...

Would really appreciate your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭mvt

Herberton would work out well for both your job locations-right on the red line.Its in Rialto,very much inner city but you are willing to be reasonable and use your head you will be more than happy there.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It wouldnt be considered the best of areas though, a lot of the red line stops aren't in the ideal neighbourhoods based on what you say you are looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Hi there,

I am moving to Dublin with my partner and we are lookng for a nice two bedroom apartment to rent in the City Centre. I will be working in Smithfield and she will be working in the D2 area.

We really want to be alongside the Luas red line. Safety and a nice neighbourhood is essential so have you any tips? A possibility are the Herberton Apartments off the Fatima Luas stop. Any advice? We are looking to pay between 8-900 a month.

We are from Munster so we do not know where the rough places are in Dublin etc...

Would really appreciate your help.

That area is not nice at all. Try look around Harolds Cross, Rathmines or Clanbrassil st /Portobello if you want to be closer to town. You should get something for your budget and be 15/30 mins walk from work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

If safety and a nice neighbourhood are your top two priorities then I wouldn't say around the Fatima Luas stop would be one of the nicer areas tbh.

I'd also be inclined to try around Portobello or Rathmines

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Herberton is a grand spot and there's a decent enough gym too. Right next to the Luas stop, you've a huge Spar just up on Cork St 5 mins away and a Centra the same distance. 10 min Luas journey to town.

I live 10 minutes away from it and used to walk home from work past it the odd night and there wouldn't be a sinner about, also went to the gym for a while just before the summer and you'd get a few kids around in the playground and that but nothing more. Miss Fluff and irishguy are talking to their hoop imo!

• Advertisement

Herberton is a grand spot and there's a decent enough gym too. Right next to the Luas stop, you've a huge Spar just up on Cork St 5 mins away and a Centra the same distance. 10 min Luas journey to town.

I live 10 minutes away from it and used to walk home from work past it the odd night and there wouldn't be a sinner about, also went to the gym for a while just before the summer and you'd get a few kids around in the playground and that but nothing more. Miss Fluff and irishguy are talking to their hoop imo!

Hmm I was just on Cork st on Saturday (by Lidl) and I didnt feel particularly at ease. I certainly wouldn't walk around there at night, that could just be me. If your taking a place I would just have a walk around the area (at different times if possible) and see how you feel. D 2,4,6,6W would be the nicer areas to live in the city centre. Parts of D8/3 are nice wouldnt touch most of D1 with a barge pole. You will know fairly quickly if an area is for you or not so just walk around a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

Herberton is a redevelopment of the notorious Fatima Mansions flat complex, it has improved greatly since those days but it would be untrue to say that the area has no problems. If "safety and a nice neighbourhood is essential" then I would look elsewhere.
    I live 10 minutes away from it and used to walk home from work past it the odd night and there wouldn't be a sinner about, also went to the gym for a while just before the summer
    You mean the gym where they have to have a security guard on duty in the reception in the evenings, that's the kind of area we're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Lerechaun: As a culshie living in Dublin for over 10 years , I wouldn't advise "Herberton". the previous poster is correct that it was renamed when the old "Fatima Mansions" were redeveloped a few years ago.....nobody seems to mention that and I would deem it to be on the "roughside" ;)
    (Sorry Gav!)

I would have a look at Kilmainham and Chapelizod. Chapelizod is only about 10/15 mins from town on the bus and it's a nice place to live, being right beside The Phoenix Park. It would have a nicer vibe being an established village and feels like being a long way outside the city when you are right beside it!

Rathmines would also suit. I lived close to Rathmines years ago and loved it!
    The 83 bus would get you pretty close to Smithfield on bad mornings!

You might find this recent thread useful!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056223108

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Christchurch may be a decent suggestion for you op. Just across the river from Smithfield and about a 10 min walk to Grafton Street. Living in that general area myself and can't say that I've had any hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

irishguy wrote: »
    Hmm I was just on Cork st on Saturday (by Lidl) and I didnt feel particularly at ease. I certainly wouldn't walk around there at night, that could just be me. If your taking a place I would just have a walk around the area (at different times if possible) and see how you feel. D 2,4,6,6W would be the nicer areas to live in the city centre. Parts of D8/3 are nice wouldnt touch most of D1 with a barge pole. You will know fairly quickly if an area is for you or not so just walk around a few.

You should walk around there at night, the most you'll see is a few kids around Cork St/Terasa's Gardens during the summer when they aren't in school, when I say kids I mean 10 and 12 years olds.
    You mean the gym where they have to have a security guard on duty in the reception in the evenings, that's the kind of area we're talking about.

I'd say that's due to having kids messing tbh moreso than anything else! Would you consider Kimmage rough? Lets not forget Martin Foley aka the Viper was shot there !
    pithater1 wrote: »
    Christchurch may be a decent suggestion for you op. Just across the river from Smithfield and about a 10 min walk to Grafton Street. Living in that general area myself and can't say that I've had any hassle.

Christchurch is a grand area, just beware the Metadone Clinic down just at the Quays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭not even wrong

I'd say that's due to having kids messing tbh moreso than anything else!
    ...yes?

Out-of-control kids are well capable of causing serious hassle in an area and making your life a complete misery (in fact they're probably worse than adults as the justice system can't do anything to them).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Smithfield is just a short walk from the city centre so anything that has a transport link to the city will work for you.

the green line luas goes out deep into the suburbs now and most areas along that are lovely.

avoid fatima like the plague. wouldnt be too happy with cork street either

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Christchurch is a grand area, just beware the Metadone Clinic down just at the Quays.

Thats down by Merchants Quay isn't it? Never had any issue with its clients aside from them causing some comedy moments when i look down on them having a smoke out the window.

Probably helps that I'm 4 floors up though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Hey folks,

What are people's thoughts on Ranelagh as a place to live?

Tupamaros wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Its really nice got everything you need. It is more expensive for rent

Hey folks,

depends. Its lovely in most places but avoid swan grove, mountpleasant place like the doddamned plague. just had to move out of there after only a few months due to hassle from scumbags

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

depends. Its lovely in most places but avoid swan grove, mountpleasant place like the doddamned plague. just had to move out of there after only a few months due to hassle from scumbags

Sorry to hear that, it seems like a nice area from what I've seen. What about the main Ranelagh rd.?

Sorry to hear that, it seems like a nice area from what I've seen. What about the main Ranelagh rd.?

yeah that would be fine. its literally just those two roads. everywhere else in ranelagh is lovely and you wouldnt even realise there was a nasty bit in it

Advertisement