Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady Cabs...

• 31-07-2011 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi Everyone ! Im not sure if this topic was discussed before.

I was chatting to a friend this evening who was out in town last night and when it came to going home, she and a friend got a taxi from the main strip.. Her friend was dropped off first and then the taxi driver drove her the longest route home. When she asked , Do you not know where you are going ? he replied that he did. This trip usually cost €10 but this taxi driver ( Not from Waterford ) tried to charge her €14. She argued her point and all he got was €10 but she told me that this was the second time he had dropped her home. On the first occasion he also overcharged her and locked her into the car till she paid up.. ( When she initially got into the cab last night she didnt cop that it was him ).
    I think it is a disgrace that he would intimidate her like this especially when she as on her own and as you can imagine she was quite nervous after her previous experience.
    We were just chatting about this at home and I think it would be a great idea if someone out there would set up a Lady Cab business.
    I used this kind of service in London and it was brilliant. Im sure within time it would be extremely successful and one of a kind to Waterford..
    What do you think ??:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

I think there is zero market for this in Ireland, let alone somewhere like Waterford. Besides, what difference does it make whether it's a male or female taxi driver ripping you off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

But sure then the female drivers would just lock us men in the car until we pay the price on the meter.

What is the world coming to?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lynnyloo

Looks like you have totally missed the point but hey I assume ur a man. I know for a fact that it would be really popular:)

But sure then the female drivers would just lock us men in the car until we pay the price on the meter.

What is the world coming to?

No men allowed full stop..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

lynnyloo wrote: »
    I know for a fact that it would be really popular:)

Do it then

Is that legal??

• Advertisement

Do it then

Is that legal??

Thats a bit of a silly question now isnt it ??
    If I could afford a **** load of Pink Cabs in Waterford I would do it in the morning...:D

something like this would be perfect !!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3011/3025818622_fff504203f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Adyx wrote: »
    I think there is zero market for this in Ireland, let alone somewhere like Waterford. Besides, what difference does it make whether it's a male or female taxi driver ripping you off?

Think your wrong there buddy , reading the thread I think it comes down to intimidation . JMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Ha! There isn't a women alive with a bit of dignity that would get into that car! :D

I can see your point, absolutely. But I wouldn't frequent a womens' only cab company on principle. Women today get away with too much. We expect to be allowed to have things simply because we're "women". The insurance company for women (can't remember the name, but nothing should ever have that much pink associated with it.) does my head in. If there were an insurance company dedicated solely to men, we would be screaming discrimination. That's how we work. If it's of benefit to women, we're all for it. If it's of benefit to men, it's sexist, and discriminatory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

If you'r not happy with the service take the taxi no, and the name which should be displayed and go to the Garda station with you'r complaint,now go and do it,if you'r complaint is legit they will follow it up,don't be cribbing on the internet go and do it youself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Female taxi drivers can be just as intimidating when they want to be. Plenty of female taxi drivers in Dublin. A taxi company I used to use a lot would ask when booking if you would prefer a male or female driver and try to accommodate you when possible, this was offered to male and female customers.

I got a taxi from Dublin City Centre to Hueston Station and the female taxi driver was really aggressive. I was going to get the train (obviously) and i think i had 30 minutes to spare and it was a pretty quiet time of day and the woman got really aggressive saying that she wasn't a helicopter and if we didn't make it it wasn't her problem, that giving out continued for 10 minutes of the 15 minute journey and when we got to the station she said "right we're here, happy now". When i got into the taxi i didn't demand she rush me to the station or anything of the sort. Just an example of how female taxi drivers can also be intimidating.

I don't think waterford is big enough for a female only taxi service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Hi Everyone ! Im not sure if this topic was discussed before.

I was chatting to a friend this evening who was out in town last night and when it came to going home, she and a friend got a taxi from the main strip..

Anyone stupid enough to call John Street 'the strip' or 'the village' deserves to get ripped off in my book.

Also, you might want to look into legislation on discrimination. Actually don't. I want you to open your company. That way I can sue yo ass for discrimination, and use the settlement to get lots of overpriced taxi rides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

What if we had Lad Cabs, where there were tv's in the headrests showing Match of the Day?

dayshah wrote: »
    Anyone stupid enough to call John Street 'the strip' or 'the village' deserves to get ripped off in my book.

Also, you might want to look into legislation on discrimination. Actually don't. I want you to open your company. That way I can sue yo ass for discrimination, and use the settlement to get lots of overpriced taxi rides.

First of all I can call the Strip what I like so get a grip..
    Secondly.. Discrimination is a very strong word.. I dont see what the problem is providing a service just for women.. But only for you I will make an allowance.. If you really want a ride in my Pink cab.. just call....Ill have the hair straightners powered up and ready :p

What if we had Lad Cabs, where there were tv's in the headrests showing Match of the Day?

Now you're only copying my ideas;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I also see your point but there isn't enough business out there for normal taxis, never mind one with a smaller market. And, if it was a success, one of the main companies could just replicate the idea and bully a new company out of the market with a superior marketing budget etc.

On the point of the anecdote, I'm assuming that girl took his name, ID number, make, model and registration number of the car and reported the behaviour to the local Garda station? If not, then she's very silly indeed and leave the threat of that happening to some other person with potentially worse consequences.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I also see your point but there isn't enough business out there for normal taxis, never mind one with a smaller market. And, if it was a success, one of the main companies could just replicate the idea and bully a new company out of the market with a superior marketing budget etc.

On the point of the anecdote, I'm assuming that girl took his name, ID number, make, model and registration number of the car and reported the behaviour to the local Garda station? If not, then she's very silly indeed and leave the threat of that happening to some other person with potentially worse consequences.

In fairness I do agree but she was soo nervous she just ran into the house.
    I said it to her earlier but when she got to the sitting room window to look out her was gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Sexism is alive and well

Secondly.. Discrimination is a very strong word.. I dont see what the problem is providing a service just for women.. But only for you I will make an allowance.. If you really want a ride in my Pink cab.. just call....Ill have the hair straightners powered up and ready :p

You can't refuse to hire someone to drive a taxi just because he's a man. You can only do gender based discrimination for some very specific jobs, like acting, modelling, and some home help type jobs.

Your idea is about as well thought out as Bob Tweedy calling John Street 'the strip'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

ring hackney cab set price i only ever ring them always 7 euro from where im going from to get home and i have used other taxi costing more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,691 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I've tried ringing but all I get is 'the journey is metered, we can't tell you how much it will be'.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheHumanOnion

Faq wrote: »
    ring hackney cab set price i only ever ring them always 7 euro from where im going from to get home and i have used other taxi costing more

+1

Easily the cheapest in town. Most I've ever been charged to get anywhere in town is €7 Monday-Saturday (€8 on Sundays), and only €10 out to Grannagh (Usually costs around €14 on the meter)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭SillyMcCarthy

Out of pure idle curiosity, did this fella happen to be a white irish fellow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

Sorry, darlin'...

Check out the Taxi Regulation website here
    Taxi drivers may not unreasonably refuse service for journeys of 30km or less

I'd say being refused service on the basis of having a wang and nadgers would be classed as unreasonable.

Still, it's cute seeing girls try to be all enterprising. Now, back to the kitchen and make me a sammich.

Cheers toots *slap on the arse

:D

Chochese wrote: »
    Sorry, darlin'...

Check out the Taxi Regulation website here

I'd say being refused service on the basis of having a wang and nadgers would be classed as unreasonable.

Still, it's cute seeing girls try to be all enterprising. Now, back to the kitchen and make me a sammich.

Cheers toots *slap on the arse

:D

Never ever underestimate a woman... toots !! Make sure you dont choke on that Sammich... Id hate too see you turn blue :D:D:D:D:D:D

Never ever underestimate a woman... toots !! Make sure you dont choke on that Sammich... Id hate too see you turn blue :D:D:D:D:D:D

No basically you can't refuse to take a customer on the basis they are a man, and you can't refuse to hire someone on the basis they are a man.

And your friend doesn't seem to be able to look in the window to see who is driving, in case its the one man she doesn't like.

Yeah, this business plan can't fail :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

No basically you can't refuse to take a customer on the basis they are a man, and you can't refuse to hire someone on the basis they are a man

Some ideal world you live in .......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I've been in plenty of taxis were the driver didn't have a clue were he was going.

And yes their not Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Heard about stuff like this happening. It happened my boyfriends mother(overcharging wise).

Happened me one night coming home from town, the taxi had dropped my friend at her house and then went to take a turn to go a totally different and longer direction to my house. I just said "hey your going the wrong way there, what's the story?" and straight away he said " oh yea, sorry about that" he was chancing his arm! I was on my own and was nervous, luckily I was aware of what was going on around me.

Few people I know now are asking for local drivers when they phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭mrsmiawallace6

i am know i am going to get shouted down but i dont care. i agree wit lynnyloo that it is a problem for girls feeling intimiated when been brought home on their own.

The driver has control of that situation and ur putting ur trust in a stranger, a lot of the times they dont know were they are going and can be very rude.

I dont think the idea could work though as it would not make enough money. But i know plenty of girls who hate getting a late night taxi home by themselves.

Advertisement