Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lady Cabs...

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 lynnyloo

michellie wrote: »
    Heard about stuff like this happening. It happened my boyfriends mother(overcharging wise).

Happened me one night coming home from town, the taxi had dropped my friend at her house and then went to take a turn to go a totally different and longer direction to my house. I just said "hey your going the wrong way there, what's the story?" and straight away he said " oh yea, sorry about that" he was chancing his arm! I was on my own and was nervous, luckily I was aware of what was going on around me.

Few people I know now are asking for local drivers when they phone.

When we were heading out last night I rang my local taxi and also requested a local driver and when going home I also choose the car I was getting into even though it was 3rd in the line.. The driver said I had a right to pick whichever car I wanted and basically I should ignore any reaction I get from other drivers..

Either way I cant win with my idea and it was only a suggestion.. But hey.. when I win Euro millions, ill have pink cabs scattered all over the place.. just to annoy every chauvinistic man in the city hehehehe !!!!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

lynnyloo wrote: »
    When we were heading out last night I rang my local taxi and also requested a local driver and when going home I also choose the car I was getting into even though it was 3rd in the line.. The driver said I had a right to pick whichever car I wanted and basically I should ignore any reaction I get from other drivers..

Either way I cant win with my idea and it was only a suggestion.. But hey.. when I win Euro millions, ill have pink cabs scattered all over the place.. just to annoy every chauvinistic man in the city hehehehe !!!!;)

I think youre still missing the point: it's not about chauvinism, what youre suggesting would be illegal, and incredibly sexist! Nobody should be discriminated against because of their gender, "equality" doesnt just apply to women.....

To address the issue youre friend encountered, I would suggest she has a good look at the driver of any taxi she might be getting in future, and if she doesnt want to get in the car with the person behind the wheel, dont. - Get another taxi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭ocli64

I think there is a lot to be said for the OPs idea. I think a lot of men, through no fault of their own, really have no idea how much harder it can be to get home if you are a woman. I would never get a taxi home alone after a night out and wouldn't ever consider walking home. I know that men can be assaulted too but the sad fact is that it is way more likely for a woman to be assaulted or intimidated by a male taxi driver than by a female one.

Providing a taxi service for females run by females, in my view, isn't sexist or discriminatory. The reason being that the situation is totally different for a woman travelling home in a taxi than it is for a man and so there is a need to provide a different service to suit the needs of the customer.

I personally know three different women who experienced varying degrees of assault/intimidation in taxis and, while it would be ideal to take the drivers name and number, in a traumatic situation this is far less likely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭TheHumanOnion

A lot of taxi companies have female drivers (I know for a fact that Hackney and Rapid Cabs both have them), and if you request a female driver they are always happy to send one.

You might be waiting a few minutes longer if the driver is already on a job, but surely having a female driver would overcome the "intimidation" issue.

Unfortunately I'm not sure if Hackney always has one on late every night, but Rapid have always had one on any time any of my mates ring asking for one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

ocli64 wrote: »
    I know that men can be assaulted too but the sad fact is that it is way more likely for a woman to be assaulted or intimidated by a male taxi driver than by a female one.

If its intimidating for female passengers, is it any less intimidating for female drivers? Drunk women are just as likely (probably more likely) to puke all over the car, and can be just as violent. Maybe there is a reason most night time taxi drivers are men.

There have been a few issues raised about problems with a minority of taxi drivers. There is a taxi ombudsman (or ombudswoman) for a reason. If you have complaints you can direct them towards her office.

There is zero reason to start discriminating against people, when we already have all the necessary safeguards in place.

• Advertisement

dayshah wrote: »

There is zero reason to start discriminating against people, when we already have all the necessary safeguards in place.

I would agree with this statement were the necessary safeguards in place. However the fact is that without specific information relating to a taxi driver very little can be done should they behave inappropriately.

When getting a taxi home after a night out it can be near impossible to get a woman taxi driver, not because they dont work nights due to being intimidated, but because there are hardly any to begin with!

If you phone a taxi company at that hour of the night to request a particular driver most of them will suggest you walking to a less crowded location to avoid drunks hopping in when they've come specifically to collect you. However a woman waiting around far from the crowds also isn't ideal.

I use a particular small taxi company that I trust but with the bigger companies it can be very hard to make a complaint go through.

However the fact is that without specific information relating to a taxi driver very little can be done should they behave inappropriately.

In the case mentioned in the OP all the person needed to do was look in the window.

I'm a man, but I'm not too worried about my girlfriend/sisters/mother taking a taxi. All legitimate taxis have the identification of the driver. I'd be far far more worried about some random person bundling them into the back of a car. You could say the same about allowing a plumber you don't know into your home, or going to a doctor you don't know.

The best thing is for a woman to have a list of numbers of drivers they trust. You said something about them being booked out, but this could happen just as easily to lady cabs (with the exception that lady cabs would of course be totally illegal).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

lynnyloo wrote: »
    just to annoy every chauvinistic man in the city hehehehe !!!!;)
    Are the 'chauvinistic men' the ones here who are objecting to your sexist plan? :confused:

Doublethink is real.

dayshah wrote: »
    In the case mentioned in the OP all the person needed to do was look in the window.

I'm a man, but I'm not too worried about my girlfriend/sisters/mother taking a taxi. All legitimate taxis have the identification of the driver. I'd be far far more worried about some random person bundling them into the back of a car. You could say the same about allowing a plumber you don't know into your home, or going to a doctor you don't know.

The best thing is for a woman to have a list of numbers of drivers they trust. You said something about them being booked out, but this could happen just as easily to lady cabs (with the exception that lady cabs would of course be totally illegal).

I never mentioned the taxi being booked out. What I was referring to was the fact that unless you want to wait around after a night out the only option is to get a taxi from the rank.

Also, until you have gotten into a taxi it can be very difficult to tell if a taxi is legitimate. Primetime exposed the amount of unlicensed taxis driving around so unless it's come to the stage where people ask the driver for identification before getting into the taxi this argument has no bearing on the reality of the situation.

With regards to the legality of the situation, I think a company that is promoted as female friendly without excluding males would be the way to go. Obviously if I were travelling home with a man it would be ridiculous to expect him to get a different taxi and the same goes for if the taxi is waiting on a rank it would be ridiculous to turn away a male customer. However I think a taxi company that takes the needs of women seriously and also complaints by women against drivers seriously, is long overdue. At the moment unless a woman wants to go through legal proceedings very little can be done.

Comparing the confines of a taxi to a doctor's surgery or a person's own house is clutching at straws in my view. While I would certainly be uncomfortable with letting anyone I dont know into my house, most doctor's surgeries would have more than one other person in the building. Also, it is a lot easier to get access to a female doctor than a female taxi driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

I think a company that is promoted as female friendly without excluding males would be the way to go.

So basically you would like the way it is now except it pretends to be for women only, well only advertises for women. Dont get me wrong Im not having a go at ya.
    I suppose Im luky in the fact Im only living in hillview so I never really got into taking taxi's as its only a 15-20 minute walk for me after going out in town.

I totally agree with you that it might be scary for a woman to get in a taxi, so I do think if there was a lady only taxi they probably would take off a bit. wouldnt make crazy money but I can see it being sustainable.

Most of us know taxi drivers anyways and have their personal mobile number to ring anytime we want taxi's. Fair enough I did wreck togo's head once or twice ringing at stupid o clock looking for a lift to a session but sure feck it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 zhaoj23

I don't think waterford is big enough for a female only taxi service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

I think this would be a non-runner anywhere in ireland and especially in waterford as its so small. the market just isn't there for it. Surely the OP realises that this plan will have eliminated exactly half of the passenger market from the outset. Try getting a business loan or investors for that!!!, you'd be laughed out of the bank.

It's not only the male portion of the market lost, you will also lose many women, picture this situation -

scenario 1:a group of guys and girls going for a night out in town call a taxi but taxi says " no I will only carry the girls, boys cant get in, you get a different taxi" Sure they would all just get a regular taxi from the outset, less hassle.

Scenario 2: couple want a lift to airport/trainstation/whatever, call taxi, driver says "I'll only bring you(girl), your boyfriend cant come, he'll have to find his own way" -yeah right, again they would just call a regualr taxi from then on and avoid the hassle.

To the OP should see that you are not just excuding men, the hassle and inconvenience of it will also exclude a lot of women when they need to travel with a guy. Now you are cutting your market by well over half, probably 60-70%. Plus it would also gain a bad name for this reasons of being awkward and causing hassle for girls with boyfriends.

with such a small market, i guess it would only function on nights out, and to staty afloat would have to charge even higher rates because its a premium service, thus turning away even more punters.

Remeber this is all before you consider legal issues such as disrimination and sexism, a legal minefield methinks.

No-one would invest in this idea, especially in waterford as there is no market. Sure waterford is not dangerous anyway, scumbags are few and far between. I';ve walked home(got lost along the way), pissed drunk and never had any trouble or been attacked. This isn't friggin west belfast or beirut. And how exactly have you deduced that you cannot be ripped of by a woman? a woman is incapable of wrong it seems??? thats crap, i know women who have ripped people off for 40,000. Sure they can be opportunists and robbers just as well.

Another thing is; no doubt the staff and drivers of such a company would be going around in a oestrogen fuelled power trip, and be raging around complaining and bashing all men for being baztards and what not.

thats all we need, more half baked ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Master and commander

Might i add, girls are not the pious angels that the OP seems to be implying. Reme,ber a few years ago the taxis were not bringing girls because lots of them were pissing in the car on purpose or out of sheer laziness and not paying damages.

If a girl is being over charged by the taxi, she should stick up for herself and refuse to pay over the odds instead of whinging about it to everyone else, Equality includes having a spine and manageing yer own problems.

I know a neighbour who was up in court on "rape" charges cos a little so and so didn't bring money to pay her fare and then she starts crying rape when she doesn't get her own way. Thats a disgrace, too many bleeding hearts out there for the poor girls. Many of them are quite happy to cry rape when they don't get their own way and then sue for compo.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

I'm off the beaten track a bit..but where the hell did the name of John Street Village come from?!?!?! Its around a while now..its stoooopid IMO..I'm a blah born n bred, n proud of it. Its John Street full stop! ..phew..rant over hehe :)

deiselack wrote: »
    I'm off the beaten track a bit..but where the hell did the name of John Street Village come from?!?!?! Its around a while now..its stoooopid IMO..I'm a blah born n bred, n proud of it. Its John Street full stop! ..phew..rant over hehe :)

Oh, don't get me started on that!!!

I mean, we have plenty of nice names for the area, like the Apple Market, or John Street. We already have Johnstown.

They thought it would be cool to rip off Greenwich Village in New York, but that actually was a village. The only place that is entitled to be called The Village within the city boundaries is Ballygunner.

Its just naff marketing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭deiselack

HERE HERE!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I know a neighbour who was up in court on "rape" charges cos a little so and so didn't bring money to pay her fare and then she starts crying rape when she doesn't get her own way.

Yikes. Fake rape claims are devastating; to the accused, who will never recover their reputation; to real rape victims, whose suffering is mocked; and future rape victims, who face an additional problem in securing justice in proving that theirs is not 'another one of those fake claims'.

Women who do that are total scum.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭henboy

Might i add, girls are not the pious angels that the OP seems to be implying. Reme,ber a few years ago the taxis were not bringing girls because lots of them were pissing in the car on purpose or out of sheer laziness and not paying damages.

If a girl is being over charged by the taxi, she should stick up for herself and refuse to pay over the odds instead of whinging about it to everyone else, Equality includes having a spine and manageing yer own problems.

I know a neighbour who was up in court on "rape" charges cos a little so and so didn't bring money to pay her fare and then she starts crying rape when she doesn't get her own way. Thats a disgrace, too many bleeding hearts out there for the poor girls. Many of them are quite happy to cry rape when they don't get their own way and then sue for compo.

Equality includes having a spine and manageing yer own problems ...........Your mother must be so proud of you ----feckin dope

Advertisement