Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Kindle, story with cost?

Options
  • 31-07-2011 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I want to buy a Kindle
    Thinking of getting the 3G one so I can use it for basic browsing when on holidays etc. (Presume the 3G will work abroad?)
    Went on to amazon.com to order, but want to check that you don't get Free Shipping (15 Euro), and there's also an import charge (32 Euro), bringing the cost up to 184 Euro.
    Is that correct?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

garlad wrote: »
    Hi,
    I want to buy a Kindle
    Thinking of getting the 3G one so I can use it for basic browsing when on holidays etc. (Presume the 3G will work abroad?)
    Went on to amazon.com to order, but want to check that you don't get Free Shipping (15 Euro), and there's also an import charge (32 Euro), bringing the cost up to 184 Euro.
    Is that correct?
    Cheers
    To be honest, the browsing is bloody awful. Save yourself the money and get the non-3G one!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

I have the 3g and would strongly recommend it - I use it for checking emails when I am abroad - its functionality and navigation isn't great so if I see messages I need to deal with I'll go to an internet cafe. But it has a great advantage over other online devices in that the 3g is free!

It also means that if you want to download a book at anytime even e.g. on the beach you can download immediately and be reading it in minutes. for the 50 euro difference in cost it's well worth it.

I bought mine in Currys in Carrickmines - they have them from time to time. Otherwise you will usually get them at the airport I believe.

Don't bother with the wireless version.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Just get the wireless one. I've never felt any need to use a 3G one - I have my phone for browsing and, if I'm on holidays, I always bring loads of books in advance. The browser is just not good enough with the Kindle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

I opted for just the wi-fi one. Personally have no regrets not getting the 3G one.
    If most of the time you think your just going to be mostly reading and are happy to buy your books over the net using a home pc or laptop and are fine pre-loading other books via supplied cable also to your pc/laptop system, go for the cheaper of the two options I would suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭garlad

Thanks for all the replies.
    Went for the 3G one in the end.
    Hopefully money well spent !

• Advertisement

browsing is shyte on the kindle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is there a big difference in cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

There's about a $50 difference.

Although you can get either of them cheaper if you want to settle for an ad-supported version (Kindle with offers) or cheaper again if you go with a refrub model.

Wi-fi refrubs are $99 now and 3G ones are $129 after a recent price reduction, some say it's a sign of a new Kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,281 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I use the browsing on the kindle a fair bit

It a bit on the slow side, but works well, mobile sites and m.boards.ie very usable on it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Mantel wrote: »
    ...some say it's a sign of a new Kindle.
    There is a new Amazon tablet coming out very shortly in opposition to the Ipad.

See here for example:

* http://www.winsupersite.com/article/paul-thurrotts-wininfo/amazon-tablet-rumors-heat-139849
    According to multiple sources ...Amazon has three devices in the pipeline

The first is an e-ink-based replacement for the current Kindle eReader, which is a thin, light, low-cost, black-and-white device that will likely start under $100. This device could actually come in multiple versions, as does the current Kindle; for example, Amazon currently sells large- and small-format Kindle devices, and some are ad-supported.

The second is a new color Kindle that would rival Barnes & Noble's Nook Color. Like the Nook, Amazon's color Kindle will run on the Google Android mobile OS and feature a touch screen. And because it's Android-based, it should be able to run mobile apps.

The third device is perhaps the most intriguing because it will directly compete with Apple's iPad and be similar to that device in size, weight, and capabilities. This full-featured Amazon tablet will cost less than the iPad and run Android apps, and will be backed by Amazon's capacious ecosystem, including support for digital music (Amazon MP3); rented, purchased, and streamed TV shows and movies (Amazon Prime); eBooks (Kindle); audiobooks (Audible); and more.

This last bit is key. While numerous wannabe iPad competitors have finally arrived in 2011—the HP TouchPad, the Research in Motion (RIM) PlayBook, and many, many Android variants—all have suffered in one key area: the lack of ecosystem support. This is where Amazon's years-long experience with cloud-based content will put its own iPad competitor(s) over the top.

* http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303406104576444213058153874.html

* http://techcrunch.com/2011/07/13/amazon-tablet-android/

* http://www.pcworld.com/article/235699/report_amazon_tablet_set_to_battle_ipad_in_fall.html

* http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/five-things-to-expect-from-the-amazon-android-kindle-tablet/9231

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Mantel wrote: »
    There's about a $50 difference.

Although you can get either of them cheaper if you want to settle for an ad-supported version (Kindle with offers) or cheaper again if you go with a refrub model.

Wi-fi refrubs are $99 now and 3G ones are $129 after a recent price reduction, some say it's a sign of a new Kindle.

Can refurbs be shipped outside the US? I'm getting this message on checkout:
    We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 iMayne

garlad wrote: »
    ...Went on to amazon.com to order, but want to check that you don't get Free Shipping (15 Euro), and there's also an import charge (32 Euro), bringing the cost up to 184 Euro.
    Is that correct?
    Cheers
    Importing electronic items outside the EU will attract customs charges. Have you tried amazon.co.uk?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

iMayne wrote: »
    Importing electronic items outside the EU will attract customs charges. Have you tried amazon.co.uk?
    Amazon.co.uk will not sell a kindle to anyone outside of Britain. Utter stupidity, but there you go - you need to go through the US site or a shop.

ixoy wrote: »
    Amazon.co.uk will not sell a kindle to anyone outside of Britain. Utter stupidity, but there you go - you need to go through the US site or a shop.
    That's rubbish! I never knew that. I was thinking of becoming a reseller. I'll look into in. But the ".co.uk" websites should do business with it's fellow EU countries :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

That's rubbish! I never knew that. I was thinking of becoming a reseller. I'll look into in. But the ".co.uk" websites should do business with it's fellow EU countries :mad:

It comes back to publishing laws, which is why they want you to buy books from the US store.

I got refunded by Amazon for the export fees the other day :D

angel01 wrote: »
    It comes back to publishing laws, which is why they want you to buy books from the US store.

True. I've found out that they do not have a reseller program. They want you to purchase directly off their website. :(

True. I've found out that they do not have a reseller program. They want you to purchase directly off their website. :(

I have no issues with that, they shipped quickly to me.

If you are passing through Dublin airport, you can pick one up at Currys. :)

...If you are passing through Dublin airport, you can pick one up at Currys. :)

Well there you have it :)

Nunu wrote: »
    Can refurbs be shipped outside the US? I'm getting this message on checkout:
    We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order.

Crap, looks like it's a US only thing, I was going to get a 3G one at that price but can't be bothered now.
    I have no issues with that, they shipped quickly to me.

If you are passing through Dublin airport, you can pick one up at Currys. :)

PC world (part of the same group as Currys) also stock them and have stores around Ireland, I think they get distributed as part of the PC world UK stock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

PC world in the Jervis centre in Dublin have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭holidaysong

Irishchick wrote: »
    PC world in the Jervis centre in Dublin have them.

Do you know how much the WiFi ones are by any chance?

I don't have a price to hand but from what I remember when I was going to get mine it worked out as nearly the same price as if I ordered directly from amazon.

It looks like they're source for stock for here isn't as reliable as they want.

I'm afraid the only place where we have consistent stock is in our airport stores. We're working on having consistent Kindle availability in all stores but it's a slower process than we would have liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

Why were you refunded?

Sorry I cant quite remember. I think it was over the 200 mark anyway. You could try giving them a ring and asking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭AlkalineAcid

Irishchick wrote: »
    Sorry I cant quite remember. I think it was over the 200 mark anyway. You could try giving them a ring and asking them.

You could get a 3G cheaper online.

Why were you refunded?

They said export fees had been reduced and gave me over 33 Euro back :D

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭batman2000

When you work out the exchange rates, Im sure its cheaper than buying from the UK. Also Amazon include the customs so it doesnt get stopped. Mine was ordered Thursday it arrived Monday.

You can only but the Ad version of the Kindle to a US address as it's pointless offering Ads to those who are outside the US.

You could get a 3G cheaper online.

Sorry I was wrong it was 145 euro in jervis

• Advertisement
Advertisement