Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

We were drawn against the winners of Galway Vs. Mayo in the Championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

yabadabado wrote: »
    We were drawn against the winners of Galway Vs. Mayo in the Championship.

Will be away to whoever wins that game as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

After this year the hype probably won't be there for this game but if our new manager works out it's probably set up far better for a classical Roscommon ambush than this year was. Nothing much to lose and a whole hell of alot to gain, anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Syferus wrote: »
    After this year the hype probably won't be there for this game but if our new manager works out it's probably set up far better for a classical Roscommon ambush than this year was. Nothing much to lose and a whole hell of alot to gain, anyways.

Who was hyping up Roscommon this year?

Who was hyping up Roscommon this year?

:confused:

Have a look at the media coverage pre-Galway.

• Advertisement

:confused:

Have a look at the media coverage pre-Galway.

The Galway game was live on RTE their first live game of the year it's only natural it was talked up. I don't think anything was really expected from either side before the game after the game Galway were indeed hyped up and then flopped badly v Sligo,Antrim.

The Galway game was live on RTE their first live game of the year it's only natural it was talked up. I don't think anything was really expected from either side before the game after the game Galway were indeed hyped up and then flopped badly v Sligo,Antrim.

We were coming off two Connacht finals, one win and one very tight loss to the team that would go on to eliminate the All-Ireland Champions. Galway had just been denied promotion to Division 1 because of an injury time Kildare penalty. Both came in with first-season managers and both were coming into the game with plenty of expectations of making noticeable progress this season.

It was easily the most hyped Roscommon-Galway match since the '98 Connacht finals and the '01 AIOF.

We were coming off two Connacht finals, one win and one very tight loss to the team that would go on to eliminate the All-Ireland Champions. Galway had just been denied promotion to Division 1 because of an injury time Kildare penalty. Both came in with first-season managers and both were coming into the game with plenty of expectations of making noticeable progress this season.

It was easily the most hyped Roscommon-Galway match since the '98 Connacht finals and the '01 AIOF.[/QUOTE]

Both were established Division 1 teams back then. The fact Galway were plying their trade in Div 2 and Roscommon Div 3 meant any hype for the outsider was microscopic at best.

It was easily the most hyped Roscommon-Galway match since the '98 Connacht finals and the '01 AIOF.[/QUOTE]

Both were established Division 1 teams back then. The fact Galway were plying their trade in Div 2 and Roscommon Div 3 meant any hype for the outsider was microscopic at best.

Who is talking about 'outsiders' :confused:

Good draws at underage for next year - Sligo in a semi at minor and Leitrim in a semi at u21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Fergie has taken the minor role on again, great news

The not so good news is that it looks like Gerry Fahey is the leading contender for the Senior job.

Poor appointment if true

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Fergie has taken the minor role on again, great news

The not so good news is that it looks like Gerry Fahey is the leading contender for the Senior job.

Poor appointment if true
    The Fahy rumour has being going around for a while now hopefully no truth in it.

Just as many rumours about Johnno, Walsh and co. the truth is almost no one really knows at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Just as many rumours about Johnno, Walsh and co. the truth is almost no one really wants it at this point.
    FYP:-)

Padd b1975 Why would no one what the Roscommon senior job? the players coming through from the underage set up are as good as any in Connacht it's clear all they need is good management team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

roscommon wrote: »
    mod or hitler

Infraction given.

Any more back chat and it'll be a week ban.

Talk about delayed reaction - keep a better eye on the Ros, Pride! :pac:

Padd b1975 Why would no one what the Roscommon senior job? the players coming through from the underage set up are as good as any in Connacht it's clear all they need is good management team.
    1. Chill! it was a joke.

2. To answer your question lets take a cold hard look at the current state of Roscommon football.

They are right now, probably ranked 4th in the weakest province in the country. Granted there is not much between them and Sligo but Sligo get the nod because of a decent Connaught Final performance. They are well behind a pretty ordinary Galway outfit, Mayo are clearly a class above everyone in the province.

They are facing into Division 3 football and even if they get promoted I feel they would struggle in what is always a very tough Division 2.

Provincial minor winners DO NOT always translate into the required standard for senior. (Check out Laois' senior record since 1998 as a case in point).
    Actually check out Mayos minor and under 21 record since 2000, its pretty good but has not translated into the major prize (yet:))

Roscommon have one minor championship victory since 2000 with no other appearance on the big day, just the one under21 final appearence since 2000, which is a more accurate indication of future senior sucess.

To sum up, I fail to see exactly where this talent is.
    In the 2012 Minor Championship Mayo came within a disgraceful refereeing decision of reaching the final, it leads me to think that the better quality talent is in Mayo, Galway are never too far away at underage.

padd b1975 wrote: »

In the 2012 Minor Championship Mayo came within a disgraceful refereeing decision of reaching the final, it leads me to think that the better quality talent is in Mayo, Galway are never too far away at underage.
    Roscommon were Connacht champions beating Mayo in the final and were unlucky to lose to Kerry by a point in the QF(missed a penalty).
    Roscommon have been one of the most consistent teams at minor/U21 the last 6/8 years.Hopefully it continues and we can improve at senior level ,it will take time but we are going inthe right direction.

[QUOTE=yabadabado;81284202
    ]Roscommon were Connacht champions beating Mayo in the final and were unlucky to
    lose to Kerry by a point in the QF(missed a penalty).
    This is the same Kerry team that was twice beaten by a highly fancied Tipp. team who in turn were well beaten by Mayo.
    Roscommon have been one of the most consistent teams at minor/U21 the last 6/8 years.Hopefully it continues and we can improve at senior level ,it will take time but we are going inthe right direction.
    [/QUOTE] 6/8 years you say?
    So its fair to say the majority of this "golden generation" are well into their 20s by now but Roscommon are still Division 3 and hammered by average Galway and Tyrone sides.

Yes they are heading in the right direction, only problem is, so are Mayo.

• Advertisement

This is the same Kerry team that was twice beaten by a highly fancied Tipp. team who in turn were well beaten by Mayo.
    Yes,same Mayo team who Roscommon beat earlier in the championship.
    6/8 years you say?
    So its fair to say the majority of this "golden generation" are well into their 20s by now but Roscommon are still Division 3 and hammered by average Galway and Tyrone sides.

Yes they are heading in the right direction, only problem is, so are Mayo.
    Who said Golden Generation?Roscommon have been consistently doing well in underage the last 6/8years and the results speak for themselves.It hasnt transferred to the senior team and it might never happen but I would like to see us produce good underage teams and hope at some sage it works out,cant do any harm having young lads getting used to winning/competing at the highest level.

Ithink everyone wuld agree we badly need to get into D2 and I dont think we are as bad as what we showed against Tyrone or Galway.We were a total shambles last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

They are right now, probably ranked 4th in the weakest province in the country. Granted there is not much between them and Sligo but Sligo get the nod because of a decent Connaught Final performance. They are well behind a pretty ordinary Galway outfit, Mayo are clearly a class above everyone in the province.

So Ros are similar to Sligo but well behind Galway???
    Are you aware of the fact that Sligo comfortably beat Galway in the championship?
    Only one year ago Roscommon blew the Connacht Final against Mayo, losing a game the should have won by two points.
    And yes I'm aware that since then Mayo have improved and Roscommon deteriorated, but that has everything to do with management. Look at Mayo and Donegal's results only a mere two years ago as the perfect cases in point.
    Roscommon have one minor championship victory since 2000 with no other appearance on the big day, just the one under21 final appearence since 2000, which is a more accurate indication of future senior sucess.

One minor championship victory??? I'm assuming that's a misprint.
    Provincial minor winners DO NOT always translate into the required standard for senior. (Check out Laois' senior record since 1998 as a case in point).
    Actually check out Mayos minor and under 21 record since 2000, its pretty good but has not translated into the major prize (yet:))

So you're saying minor success does not always translate into senior success, but then laud Mayo's minor and u21 record and rate Mayo as a class apart in Connacht. Major contradiciton there.
    In the 2012 Minor Championship Mayo came within a disgraceful refereeing decision of reaching the final, it leads me to think that the better quality talent is in Mayo, Galway are never too far away at underage

Mayo and Galway were both beaten by Roscommon in this year's minor league and championship, yet you rate both higher??? Couple that with rating Galway higher than Sligo in senior and it gives a very good gauge of your limited knowledge of Gaelic football.

People who actually follow football closely will have noticed consistent strong underage teams coming out of Roscommon for the last 6-8 years. Roscommon have won 2 out of the last 3 Connacht U21s, reaching the final and putting up an excellent performance against an extremely strong Dublin side this year and completely blowing the semi against the same opposition two years ago (Dublin went on to win the final). That's two very, very high rankings in three years.

Roscomon have won the last two Connacht minor championships, coming within two points of eventual winners Tipperary in last year's semi, and somehow (I still can't believe how) losing to Kerry in this year's quarter when they really should have won by 7-8 points. I truely believe, Roscommon were the second best minor team in the country this year. That's two, very, very high rankings in two years.

St. Brigid's have won 3 Connacht titles in the last number of years and only for some dodgy goalkeeping could have won the All-Ireland final against no lesser opponents than the great Crossmaglen.

Roscommon CBS won the All-Ireland colleges 'B' title last year.

If you don't see a trend there, it's just because you don't want to.

Chill! it was a joke.

I'm well chilled thanks

Yes that's where the last manager has left them where was Mayo ranked in 2010 when they lost to Longford?

They are facing into Division 3 football and even if they get promoted I feel they would struggle in what is always a very tough Division 2.

Have a look at Div 2 teams next year do you see much difference? i don't.

Laois is one example many other examples including Mayo's proves underage success can improve senior team and sport isn't all about winning the "Major prize"

So winning Minor,U21 Connacht titles beating Mayo along the way isn't accurate indication?

Roscommon also beat Mayo in minor league this year and last year's minor championship and Roscommon won the last three U21 games between the two.

Yes,same Mayo team who Roscommon beat earlier in the championship.

Who said Golden Generation?
    I did.
    Roscommon have been consistently doing well in underage the past couple of years
    and the results speak for themselves.
    So its gone from 6/8 years to a couple of years?
    It hasnt transferred to the senior team and it might never happen but I would
    like to see us produce good underage teams and hope at some sage it works
    out,cant do any harm having young lads getting used to winning/competing at the
    highest level.
    Agreed.
    I dont think we are as bad as what we showed against Tyrone or Galway
    Results suggest otherwise.

@padd b1975

Edited my post.I will stand by what I said roscommon have been consistent the last 6/8 year's.its being pointed out to you by others here but you will most likely ignore the posts that don't suit your argument .

megadodge wrote: »
    So Ros are similar to Sligo but well behind Galway???
    Are you aware of the fact that Sligo comfortably beat Galway in the championship?
    Only one year ago Roscommon blew the Connacht Final against Mayo, losing a game the should have won by two points.
    And yes I'm aware that since then Mayo have improved and Roscommon deteriorated, but that has everything to do with management. Look at Mayo and Donegal's results only a mere two years ago as the perfect cases in point.
    One minor championship victory??? I'm assuming that's a misprint.
    One victory in 2006, no other finals in the modern era.

So you're saying minor success does not always translate into senior success,
    but then laud Mayo's minor and u21 record and rate Mayo as a class apart in
    Connacht. Major contradiciton there.
    No, what I am saying is that despite this quite good record,Mayo have yet to win the All Ireland.

Do you rate Mayo as being currently a class apart?

Mayo and Galway were both beaten by Roscommon in this year's minor league and
    championship, yet you rate both higher??? Couple that with rating Galway higher
    than Sligo in senior and it gives a very good gauge of your limited knowledge of
    Gaelic football.
    Galway came within a kick of the ball of promotion to Division 1, they simply stopped playing against Sligo and there underage structures are superior to Sligo's.

Less of the personal comments if you don't mind.

Roscommon CBS won the All-Ireland colleges 'B' title last year.
    Congrats.

@padd b1975

Edited my post.I will stand by what I said roscommon have been consistent the last 6/8 year's.its being pointed out to you by others here but you will most likely ignore the posts that don't suit your argument .
    Consistent? Yes.

Successful? Depends on what an individual views as success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Another joke?

Yes that's where the last manager has left them where was Mayo ranked in 2010
    when they lost to Longford?
    Beaten Division 1 League Finalists, woeful championship performances.

Have a look at Div 2 teams next year do you see much difference? i don't.
    I disagree, I believe Division 2 to be closer to Division 1, but thats just my opinion.

Laois is one example many other examples including Mayo's proves underage
    success can improve senior team and sport isn't all about winning the "Major
    prize"
    It is in Mayo.

If Roscommon have a good year in 2013 and get to a semi final or final, will you settle for that or will you be roaring them on to the next levell??

So winning Minor,U21 Connacht titles beating Mayo along the way isn't accurate
    indication?
    The current positions of both teams would suggest that its not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Consistent? Yes.

Successful? Depends on what an individual views as success.

Success is success. I know for Mayo it's all about winning ultimate prize and anything less is failure, its a hell of a burden to carry around. Alot of other teams certainly don't have that.

Over the last 6-7 years Roscommon have been been successful,consistent at underage level and it can breed success to senior of course no guarrantee however you must be joking if you can't see the talent coming through.

Advertisement