Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Will the Fans from all four counties be kept seperate or will they be mixed

This is the GAA , Sir, we will be all nicely mixed.

All the gang from Ballaghderran or places like Ballyforan : mothers and fathers, husband and wives , split for the day with their county loyalties, but sitting closely together to watch our fine Gaels (not the party) play football

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

And would it be possible to get 4 tickets together now? I was told I wouldn't but it's not like there will be 80000 people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭AG123

And would it be possible to get 4 tickets together now? I was told I wouldn't but it's not like there will be 80000 people there.

I got my four tickets together today in the county board office!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,324 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Tickets are on sale on the GAA website. You'll get 4 together in the Upper levels, Davin or Hill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I just picked up 3 for 728 Upper Hogan. 4 rows back. Decent view from there. Looks like we'll bring a big crowd all right from what I'm seeing and hearing.

I'll finally be able to get you that pint I owe you Kenneth :pac: I'm in row A in 729

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

I'll be coming up on the train from Kilkenny on Sunday but what I usually do when coming from home is drive as far as Leixlip and park the car up at Louisa Bridge Station. Regular trains in from there and drops you right on Drumcondra. Ideal.
    Oldira wrote: »
    Motorway closed between Athlone and Moate on Sunday so expect delays.

I have booked Cloniffe College Car Park as lately on street parking is a major problem with clamping.

Why not leave car at Maynooth and get train to Drumcondra? Will avoid all the traffic on way home.
    BullBauld wrote: »
    How did you pre book Clonliffe car park. Can't see anywhere.

Thanks for the suggestions......decided to risk the traffic a park at Clonliffe college

you book it on crokepark.ie

should be a good crowd there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Oldira wrote: »
    Motorway closed between Athlone and Moate on Sunday so expect delays.

Where did you see it closed on Sunday? AA roadwatch has it open again from 6pm on Friday 28th.
    WESTMEATH/OFFALY: The M6 Galway/Dublin Rd is closed for works eastbound from J8 Athlone East to J7 Moate West and westbound from J5 Tullamore to J6 Moate East until 6pm on Friday (28th). Diversions are in place via the Old Dublin Rd.

https://www.theaa.ie/roadwatch/newsroom/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Bazzo wrote: »
    I'll finally be able to get you that pint I owe you Kenneth :pac: I'm in row A in 729

Haha class, I see we have similar tastes in our sporting event preferences!

Note: I heard earlier that the M6 Eastbound will be open on Sunday for match traffic. Would have been ridiculous to have it closed this Sunday, of all days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I bet there will be season ticket holders from some counties giving away tickets outside croker on sunday, just to get the ticket scanned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Hey there folks. Just a heads up about parking in Maynooth and getting the train into Drumcondra; Parking at Maynooth train station is fairly limited. What some people do is park at Greenfield Shops or at the Glenroyal hotel.

I advise AGAINST this now.

I live close to Greenfield in Maynooth and the last time Mayo were playing in Croker, a lot of cars parked at the Greenfield Shops were clamped. The spaces are for customers only and APCOA went to town on cars parked there for the last Mayo match. I wouldn't want any of my fellow Rossies having to deal with APCOA after the match.

I can't speak for the parking at the Glenroyal hotel, but there is a Spar shop there and it could be a similar story with clamping.

Leixlip Louisa Bridge has a decent sized car park if you get there early. Not sure how much it costs, but it's cheaper than a clamp removal!

Hon the Rossies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I bet there will be season ticket holders from some counties giving away tickets outside croker on sunday, just to get the ticket scanned

Not sure what the value of that would be.

Having your ticket scanned for a game your county is not competing in does not add to your % attendance requirements for All Ireland final tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

oh ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

JPF82 wrote: »

Leixlip Louisa Bridge has a decent sized car park if you get there early. Not sure how much it costs, but it's cheaper than a clamp removal!

Hon the Rossies!

It's €4 or €4.50 for the day. There are roughly 150 spaces at Maynooth, but Louise Bridge carpark is more like 300. If I was driving up, I'd definitely be trying to park there. Train straight to Drumcondra then. No brainer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

They have opened up davin stand upper (canal end) for Sundays match on tickets.ie

That's suggests a very big crowd expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Usually loads of parking in clearys qpark. Short walk to croke from there. Quays have bus lanes open on a Sunday from train station. maby just 10-15 minutes to get along quays. Easy to get in to but the usual delays getting out of.

Can't cut across right from O'Connell Street any more to clearys.. Keep going along quays after O'Connell St and turn left up the R802. Then take a left to clearys on Cathal Brugha St.

€6 for day if you present match ticket. Can book online, I do jic. Axa policy holders 20% discount code AXA20.

Just confirmation to anyone that is unsure about the closures on the M6 that it will be open on Sunday
    http://www.michaelfitzmaurice.ie/good-news-on-traffic-and-trains/

"I know I'm one of the best coaches in the country, probably the best coach in the country"- Liam McHale. Skip to 10:20 if you don't want to hear it all. :)

http://mayogaablog.com/?p=21189

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭casscass4444

Enjoy the day tomorrow folks and best of luck to Roscommon.i hope ye beat the fish heads back as far as claremorris.liam mchale is on a pod cast saying he's the best manager in the country ever.whats he managing.
    Ffs he's like the rest of Mayo.hes won nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Enjoy the day tomorrow folks and best of luck to Roscommon.i hope ye beat the fish heads back as far as claremorris.liam mchale is on a pod cast saying he's the best manager in the country ever.whats he managing.

Lets hope Liam's team continue in that vein tomorrow eh?.

FFS. you clearly haven't a notion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Enjoy the day tomorrow folks and best of luck to Roscommon.i hope ye beat the fish heads back as far as claremorris.

Fish heads that's a new one. May the best team win tomorrow and if Roscommon do pull it off this mayo man will be shouting for ye in the semi.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Fish heads? Who let this lad in? :-/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

blazermel wrote: »
    Fish heads? Who let this lad in? :-/

The pejorative term "fish head" is unique to the Castlebar/Westport rivalry in Mayo.

A person from Castlebar can be referred to as a "fish head" by a person from Westport (a covee)

It has no significance within any other part of the county and certainly not significance across county boundaries.

Be hey, that's not even the biggest error in the kids post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

The pejorative term "fish head" is unique to the Castlebar/Westport rivalry in Mayo.

A person from Castlebar can be referred to as a "fish head" by a person from Westport (a covee)

It has no significance within any other part of the county and certainly not significance across county boundaries.

Be hey, that's not even the biggest error in the kids post.

glad you cleared that up for a minute there i was afraid this fella had a boards.ie account :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,203 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I've never posted in your thread before. As a neutral today, I cheered the Rossies all the way. You could have and should have. A great performance. Keep the head and use the head in the replay. You will do it. Kevin McStay, I salute you! I hope you are all enjoying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Grandeeod wrote: »
    I've never posted in your thread before. As a neutral today, I cheered the Rossies all the way. You could have and should have. A great performance. Keep the head and use the head in the replay. You will do it. Kevin McStay, I salute you! I hope you are all enjoying it!

Roscommon were superb today. Thought they'd be hammered but I loved the hunger and passion they brought to the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Well my heart is still thumping after that! That was probably the most exciting, nerve-wracking match I've ever been at, from both supporters points of view. At the very end virtually everybody in the stadium was on their feet and absolutely roaring their head off.

I think a draw was a fair result and I'm glad there was no extra time as I feel at that stage of the match a lot of the Roscommon players looked tired and with Mayo being one of the very best conditioned sides out there I think they would have to have been favoured.

Having said that, I feel it leaves Roscommon in a great position. The replay will be Mayo's fourth match in a short period of time and the previous three have all been hard, hard matches. They have incredible heart, but so many hard matches will have to take its toll (hopefully).

On the subject of heart, that is what made Roscommon's performance today so satisfying - HEART!!! This team are showing it in bucketloads and they seem to realise that nothing less will do. At the top level it's all about desire to win, irrespective of skill levels. For far too long Roscommon have taken the field without really believing in themselves and laying down once the going got really tough. Well I hope this is the dawning of a new era. These lads want to win! And they're the type of players that we need representing our county.

Finally, having crticised both players on these very boards, I am delighted to say how wrong I was about both Niall Kilroy and Tadhg O'Rourke. Two more honest players you won't see. Niall has found his perfect position as sweeper and I believe Tadhg handles the ball more than any player on the pitch in almost every game he plays. Well done to both and keep it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

glad you cleared that up for a minute there i was afraid this fella had a boards.ie account :pac:

I appreciate you mightn't have been criticising him, but another of the Mayo posters posted some seriously insulting comments on Paddy Joe before and he ought to be ashamed of himself.

The reason? Paddy Joe Burke is one of life's gentlemen. Genuinely one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. What's more, despite his crazy reputation, at matches he is surprisingly mild. He never, ever, ever criticises any players, or refs, or anybody for that matter. He's a positive person who regularly applauds opposition's scores and makes friends everywhere he goes. He truly loves Roscommon and everything associated with Roscommon and I and countless others have got great entertainment from him over the decades. I'd safely say I've never heard anyone who actually knows him say a bad word about him.

Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

megadodge wrote: »
    I appreciate you mightn't have been criticising him, but another of the Mayo posters posted some seriously insulting comments on Paddy Joe before and he ought to be ashamed of himself.

The reason? Paddy Joe Burke is one of life's gentlemen. Genuinely one of the nicest people you'll ever meet. What's more, despite his crazy reputation, at matches he is surprisingly mild. He never, ever, ever criticises any players, or refs, or anybody for that matter. He's a positive person who regularly applauds opposition's scores and makes friends everywhere he goes. He truly loves Roscommon and everything associated with Roscommon and I and countless others have got great entertainment from him over the decades. I'd safely say I've never heard anyone who actually knows him say a bad word about him.

Legend.

fair play , he seems like a great character , i was just adding to the thread this morning i rarely take too much notice of what might have been said before hand ,

either way , at the end of it ,i think its great to see the level of improvement from last year , first of all for roscommon to make progress they sacrificed the league and focused on the championship ,

when we met last year half the roscommon players couldnt move with 15 mins to go in salthill they were on the go since october the year before , they had everything put into that league campaign

this year ye have calculated everything towards this stage of the championship and while ye let it in dublin today , there is no reason wht ye cant go back to the well again next week , the attitude is 100 time better then where it was last july

megadodge wrote: »

Legend.

Have to agree with ya there. An absolute gentleman. Plenty of people going up to him looking for photos at matches in recent years and he will always find a few minutes to talk to you. He really does have time for everyone.As you said, he would never criticise any player, ref or supporter and he has a genuine love for GAA. And he WOULD NOT be one for coming up with excuses if we lost a game or if we performed badly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Have to agree with ya there. An absolute gentleman. Plenty of people going up to him looking for photos at matches in recent years and he will always find a few minutes to talk to you. He really does have time for everyone.As you said, he would never criticise any player, ref or supporter and he has a genuine love for GAA. And he WOULD NOT be one for coming up with excuses if we lost a game or if we performed badly.

I am going to sound negative about today's performance.

I left Croke Park fuming that this was the day that we had Mayo by the balls and we blew it.

However, hindsight, like many, if you said to me that after the embarrassment of the performances against Galway last year when we had a lot of the ball (at least in the first game) and loosing to Clare and the performances (rather than the results) in the league this year, the infighting and public criticism of Kevin McStay , along with loosing some key lads (and that can not be underestimated) , that (a) Roscommon would win the Connacht Championship , in style and (b) Roscommon would be going to Croke Park and looking like a team that had every right to be there in the Quarter Final and had genuine belief that we could have beaten Mayo, I would thought that you were bonkers.

I do believe that Roscommon should have won today. In fact, hammer Mayo (I know, we got lucky in the end) There were some silly mistakes (goal keeper especially) But, we most certainly can not question the hunger and commitment to the jersey. That performance was one of pride. They are playing for the Manager. Murtagh was getting man handled in the full forward and he continued to fight. John McManus and Sean McDermott (both of whom you could pick out a mile away with their red boots) were brilliant and seemed comfortable bringing the ball out from the backs.

Many of the lads looked wrecked,and why wouldn't they be, they absolutely blitzkrieg Mayo for the first twenty minutes and again in the second half.It was sickening to be 2 down at Half time. But that tiredness is slightly worrying considering (a) It's bloody Mayo, they have a jinx on us and (b) Mayo never really panicked despite being understandably flat and terrible today. I am glad the replay is in Croke Park, a nice change of scenery, I would not give Roscommon much of a chance if it was down West, you tend to only get 1 chance of bating Mayo

Anyway, going back to the great Paddy Joe Burke, on the way down into town I decided to put the headphones on to tune into The Marty Squad on RTE1 so that I kept my mouth shut with my mates who were delighted with the performance. I did not want to sound like Eamon Dunphy when Ireland get a great result (Mayo is Mayo, a top team) Low and behold Paddy Joe was on

Whatever ye do, get a hold of the clip. Paddy was brilliant as usual talking about Roscommon and how great the result was, pure positive stuff and he was nothing but complementary about Mayo. Marty was loving it as was the big crowd that were around him. He was talking about the Rossies in other parts of the world who would be listening into RTE Radio. He also pointed out that Roscommon do well in replays

Suffice to say that 10 minutes of listening to that , I was in a much better mood. Had swore to myself that I won't go to the replay coming out of the game (We all do that after the usual running for the train in Castlebar with 10 minutes to go and Mayo hammering Roscommon) but nah, we have to believe now. At least the attitude is better than that embarrassing game two years ago against Sligo (how times flies)

How poor where Kerry today. Galway handed them the game. The Star is some player still.

Advertisement