Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I would just like to apologise to the Roscommon supporters for some of the more embarrassing comments from some Mayo posters. Roscommon are doing great in the championship this year and made Galway and Mayo look ordinary. Its refreshing to see a young team showing no fear against the big boys.

As for McStay/McHale and Roscommon, they could win the AI this year and you'd still have some posters saying "beat an average Kerry team and a Dublin team that's been struggling and they were lucky against Galway and if only Mayo had the wind in the second half etc etc"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Brian Cody and Mickey Harte are famous for it. So it must be common to all great managers. Davy also.

Do you want a manager with passion? Or someone who couldn't be a*sed and just stands there saying nothing?

ffs i only asked is this his regular thing and fwiw no i dont think managers should be harassing officials, you can be passionate without that. In fact apart from that i thought McStay was very calm on the sideline which i think is a good sign and which i'd much rather see than the histrionics from the likes of Fitzgerald

I would just like to apologise to the Roscommon supporters for some of the more embarrassing comments from some Mayo posters. Roscommon are doing great in the championship this year and made Galway and Mayo look ordinary. Its refreshing to see a young team showing no fear against the big boys.

As for McStay/McHale and Roscommon, they could win the AI this year and you'd still have some posters saying "beat an average Kerry team and a Dublin team that's been struggling and they were lucky against Galway and if only Mayo had the wind in the second half etc etc"

Unfortunately we are ordinary. And hey if Ross did win the AI this year it would go down as one of the greatest achievements n GAA history and the men that delivered it rightly lionised so calm down shurimgreat, some of us are only calling it as we see it, its what happens on internet fora ya know. it makes for debate. Of course the Rossies have made progress only a fool would deny that,but imo they are fair bit fof the top table yet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

This is not meant as a dig but some of the comment from Rossie fans is a bit ott. Shane Curran was on the Marty Squad on radio yesterday evening creaming himself over how Roscommon are now able to battle it out with the big boys and are an example to similar small counties. Ye got relegated, beat an average Galway team and drew with a Mayo team that is nowhere near what we were even last year and are probably not realistic title contenders. Ye need to calm down, beat us in the replay and seriously put it up to Kerry and then maybe ye can say ye have arrived at the top table.

btw Mc Stay's constant harassing of the linesman and 4th official yesterday was an eye opener to me. is that a regular thing?

No disagreements there.

That Mayo team, at least with the current manager are going no where. Mayo need to be put out of their misery this year (I don't wish to be disrespectful of the players, not after the last few years, where they SHOULD have been champions, even two time champs)

It says a lot for Mayo that they are still in it. I am not a believer of being handed muck and try to make it sound like it is world class. Mayo should have been bet out of the gate yesterday by a fresher team who can show that they can play ball. There were far too many mistakes in the forward line and many of them just stood still, not wanting to make a run in order to open up the center of the pitch. We had two defenders in John McManus and Seanie McDermot spend of a lot of time in the front part of the pitch. Instead, we hung on for the draw, relying on a difficult free kick. Mayo must be laughing last night. Unless they are absolutely on their last legs they should try and kill Roscommon in the first 20 minutes next Monday.

Curran made some odd comments, he normally would be quick to complain about settling for second best (and there would be validity in it) Look lads, I know Mayo are a big team, but it is bloody Mayo, we play them a lot. They don't always hammer us. It is not like Dublin v Westmeath . We went to Croker yesterday with serious belief that we could beat Mayo, because they look like they were on their last legs. We were lucky to leave with a draw

The heels were on their throat for much of yesterday, which was great, time to put the boys to sleep until next May.

Was up in the upper Hogan, did not pass any heed on McStay but the radio lads pointed it out. Keegan was giving our lads special treatment in the marking department, as any top class defender would

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Farmer_3650

Well one thing I have to say about you is that you remain honest and unbiased, despite being a Mayo fan. For the most part, the Mayo fans do make fair points. There is a few that underestimate us a lot and there is one in particular that is just an a**hole. I won't say who he is but I'm sure you can guess. It's not you anyway :D. Let the best team win next week and whoever it is I hope they progress and do very well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Manager in shocking behaviour as he stands up for and wants his players protected by the match officials...

the general vibe I'm getting today is that Mayo supporters are annoyed by their opponents standing up to them and Roscommon are just delighted to get another game in croker

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Hopefully the yobs who booed Andy Moran will keep their mouths shut the next day - reflects badly on our counties supporters when there's a small section of ignorant indivduals who have no respect. The boos from the mayo crowd for every single free we took - especially the last one by Donie - was just as distasteful. Has no place in Gaelic games.

On the game itself, we proved we're well able for the task of challenging Mayo but unfortunately our lack of experience showed when we conceded 1-6 after our second goal. Having said that, we clawed it right back early in the second half and had our chances to drive on. I believe the experience of yesterday will work in our favour and fingers crossed we can bring the same intensity and effort to the replay.

blazermel wrote: »
    Hopefully the yobs who booed Andy Moran will keep their mouths shut the next day - reflects badly on our counties supporters when there's a small section of ignorant indivduals who have no respect. The boos from the mayo crowd for every single free we took - especially the last one by Donie - was just as distasteful. Has no place in Gaelic games.

On the game itself, we proved we're well able for the task of challenging Mayo but unfortunately our lack of experience showed when we conceded 1-6 after our second goal. Having said that, we clawed it right back early in the second half and had our chances to drive on. I believe the experience of yesterday will work in our favour and fingers crossed we can bring the same intensity and effort to the replay.

Agreed. I have little respect for him and I didn't feel sorry for him but booing has no place in GAA and I hope there is no booing on both sides. I believe both sides should shut up and enjoy the next game. There will be a few ignorant people on both sides booing but don't be one of them. A lot of people were booing Andy over the kiltoom incident. I think it's time we got over that. What some rossies did was as bad as what he did.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Manager in shocking behaviour as he stands up for and wants his players protected by the match officials...

the general vibe I'm getting today is that Mayo supporters are annoyed by their opponents standing up to them and Roscommon are just delighted to get another game in croker

If thats a dig at me you've completely misunderstood my post, i asked a simple question and nobody answered, thats grand. Im done with this now, it's ****ing pointless, i was simply surprised by his behaviour and i thought it a deliberate ploy as he was very calm and composed on the sideline in all other respects. But if some posters want to take issue? Hey be my guest. The offended bus is well full it seems. Personally the constant haranguing of officials is one of my major gripes about the game at present and ya i think COC is one of the worst offenders in this regard before its brought up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I'd echo your sentiments except I detected virtually no booing of the Roscommon frees except a few ignoramuses for the last free.Donie Smith showed up their ignorance in the best possible fashion.I thought both sets of supporters were very sporting re the freetaking.

• Advertisement

If thats a dig at me you've completely misunderstood my post, i asked a simple question and nobody answered, thats grand. Im done with this now, it's ****ing pointless, i was simply surprised by his behaviour and i thought it a deliberate ploy as he was very calm and composed on the sideline in all other respects. But if some posters want to take issue? Hey be my guest. The offended bus is well full it seems. Personally the constant haranguing of officials is one of my major gripes about the game at present and ya i think COC is one of the worst offenders in this regard before its brought up again.

was sitting behind McStay and for majority of the game he didn't move and was standing still watching most of the game
    he got very animated when DOC started getting involved in a few incidents and COC starting using the elbow
    as any manager would.

I just tried the GAA website for tickets and all I can get in the Cusack is either 702 710 and 711. Should I just book them or do you think the Davin will be opened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,308 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

You can live in hope but nothing will change. And it might not be such a small section from either county. It would be interesting if one of the "yobs" would come on here to discuss their actions. I'm sure there must be some of them reading this.

I wouldn't be so precious about Gaelic games. Every dastardly and nefarious act that can be imagined has been perpetrated on and off the field of play over the years.

The Roscommon Football Legends Facebook page have come up with a good idea for next Monday:

***JUST AN IDEA WE COULD ALL RUN WITH NEXT MONDAY IN CROKE PARK...IT JUST TAKES A MINUTE TO READ...LIKE AND SHARE IF YOU AGREE...

In the 7th minute of next Monday's game, we're asking Roscommon and Mayo supporters to give our players a round of applause - a gesture which will also serve to condemn the booing and the verbal abuse of all players.

In this photo, Mayo players Willie Joe Padden and Gabriel Irwin lift Dermot Earley shoulder high after the final whistle in the 1985 Connacht SFC final. Mayo won with a bit to spare but that moment of mutual respect and appreciation doesn't get much better. We want to send out this same message to all supporters when it comes to watching games involving their team and opposing teams.

The legendary Dermot Earley passed away in 2010, seven years ago, and we're suggesting that the collective round of applause for Mayo and Roscommon players should take place in the 7th minute of next Monday's game in Croke Park.

What better way to send out the message far and wide that we all condemn the booing and verbal abuse of our amateur players who fill us with such pride and provide so much excitement for all of us.

Like and share if you are with us.

Great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,308 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That is a noble gesture, and I hope it is a success.

I would also like to see the supporters from all teams refrain from the foul mouthed abuse directed at referees and other officials. Any time a free is awarded to the opposition there is no need to call the referee disgusting names. Or if one of your players falls over, don't go howling at the ref for a free, when you know full well it is not warranted.

Any hope of this happening?

I would also like to see the supporters from all teams refrain from the foul mouthed abuse directed at referees and other officials. Any time a free is awarded to the opposition there is no need to call the referee disgusting names. Or if one of your players falls over, don't go howling at the ref for a free, when you know full well it is not warranted.

Zero sadly amongst a certain cohort of supporters.

The majority realise the thankless task our officials undertake.

LOL I'm afraid I can never see that one happening unfortunately. If only it was like Rugby where the referees are respected and explain decisions to the captains etc. Don't think I could ever see it happen in the GAA as an amateur game though.

I won't be doing it
    I'll clap both teams off afterwards, whoever wins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Roscommon Football Legends Facebook page have come up with a good idea for next Monday:

***JUST AN IDEA WE COULD ALL RUN WITH NEXT MONDAY IN CROKE PARK...IT JUST TAKES A MINUTE TO READ...LIKE AND SHARE IF YOU AGREE...

In the 7th minute of next Monday's game, we're asking Roscommon and Mayo supporters to give our players a round of applause - a gesture which will also serve to condemn the booing and the verbal abuse of all players.

In this photo, Mayo players Willie Joe Padden and Gabriel Irwin lift Dermot Earley shoulder high after the final whistle in the 1985 Connacht SFC final. Mayo won with a bit to spare but that moment of mutual respect and appreciation doesn't get much better. We want to send out this same message to all supporters when it comes to watching games involving their team and opposing teams.

The legendary Dermot Earley passed away in 2010, seven years ago, and we're suggesting that the collective round of applause for Mayo and Roscommon players should take place in the 7th minute of next Monday's game in Croke Park.

What better way to send out the message far and wide that we all condemn the booing and verbal abuse of our amateur players who fill us with such pride and provide so much excitement for all of us.

Like and share if you are with us.

Such a load of bollix I never saw. I unsuscribed from their feed after this. Only fuelling a bull**** non-debate and drawing attention to a nothing event.

If you want to boo, boo. If you want to clap, clap. If you want to clap when you are being told to by gob****es like this lad, clap like a trained seal, but I won't be doing it.

We're not talking about physical abuse here, IT'S a bit of booing, and catcalling, but seriously, what next? Can we not disagree with a referee or cheer when our team scores in case we offend a defender or goalkeeper on the other side. Croke Park is not a chapel or a mosque, it's a sports arena where we are there to celebrate and cry and embrace the wildness of our games, not sit like an audience at a violin recital where we clap politely at appropriate times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Maybe I'm cynical but it just appears to be some attempt to keep everything happy-clappy. Using the anniversary of Dermot Earley's death is pure emotional blackmail on top of that, it has absolutely nothing to do with the booing anyway. I could have gone and organised applause for yesterday's match in the 42nd minute because it's 42 years since the Miami Showband deaths, but it pertains no relevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Maybe I'm cynical but it just appears to be some attempt to keep everything happy-clappy. Using the anniversary of Dermot Earley's death is pure emotional blackmail on top of that, it has absolutely nothing to do with the booing anyway. I could have gone and organised applause for yesterday's match in the 42nd minute because it's 42 years since the Miami Showband deaths, but it pertains no relevance.

yeah agree, i criticized roscommon supporters for the boos yesterday , but if something like this happens its just way over the top , world gone mad

its like something a bunch of liverpool supporters would organise
    embarrassing

Roscommon football teams have spent years talking about what we could have done or should have done. Whether it was at least two All Ireland Club Finals for Clann na nGael, or should have beaten Dublin in the semi's in 1979, or beating Kerry in the finals in 1980 or beaten Meath in 1991 or Mayo in 2011......

Suffice to say, the goal is to beat Mayo, something that we often struggle to do, whether it is FBD or League . If we got to a semi final against Kerry this year and at least showed up, that is huge progress, that is success. We wouldn't give a rats ass what people would say regarding how poor Galway or how tired Mayo were this year. And obviously, if there was ever a day that Roscommon was ever to lift the Sam Maguire, you can be sure that no footballing man (or woman, child, sheep or cow) would give a continental feck about what others said about the oppositions or the standard of play.

I have no doubt that Mayo people would share a similar view. Tyrone boys certainly never had quibs over their style

Brian Cody and Mickey Harte are famous for it. So it must be common to all great managers. Davy also.

Do you want a manager with passion? Or someone who couldn't be a*sed and just stands there saying nothing?

I'd prefer a cool , calm and calculated manager who is figuring out what to do next. Someone like Jim Gavin of Dublin

Davy "I don't want to make this about me" Fitzgerald , you got baggage with him. Yep, he is a thoughtful manager and a successful one ,but his antics are nonsense at times. Only so many times you can take the "passionate" antics seriously

Cody was not always like that. No harm intimidating the officials every now and again :D

Ah, sure, Marty Morrissey will he praising us to the high heavens sure

Really, I think it is a nice gesture, but, I can see what theoneeyedman is getting at. Perhaps the Hill is more conductive to the roaring and shouting rather than in the seating area.

No one remember those blasted fog horns when a player was taking a 45 or a free? They want to turn us into rugby , damn it . Could ya imagine a Kerry man about to face the Hill, full of Dubs, in the last few minutes of the game and a vital free kick to be taken. And remember, Dublin have respect for Kerry ......I doubt the Dubs would be staying silent

I was surprised with the booing as I never heard Moran get it before. He was nearly in tears winning Connacht title in 2011. But, to call the booing abuse is a bit much, unless there were some unsavory comments made. More like something that you see in Fr Ted .

We would look like right planks if he get hammered and Andy is the instigator of many of the scores

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Roscommon football teams have spent years talking about what we could have done or should have done. Whether it was at least two All Ireland Club Finals for Clann na nGael, or should have beaten Dublin in the semi's in 1979, or beating Kerry in the finals in 1980 or beaten Meath in 1991 or Mayo in 2011......

Suffice to say, the goal is to beat Mayo, something that we often struggle to do, whether it is FBD or League . If we got to a semi final against Kerry this year and at least showed up, that is huge progress, that is success. We wouldn't give a rats ass what people would say regarding how poor Galway or how tired Mayo were this year. And obviously, if there was ever a day that Roscommon was ever to lift the Sam Maguire, you can be sure that no footballing man (or woman, child, sheep or cow) would give a continental feck about what others said about the oppositions or the standard of play.

I have no doubt that Mayo people would share a similar view. Tyrone boys certainly never had quibs over their style

Agreed and great post by the way, detailing the ups and downs of being a Roscommon supporter. Some posters are quick to question Roscommon's performances but I am not one of them and give them full credit. It looks like McHale/McStay have got this team up and running. They could well be a force for years to come in the championship much like Mayo were, especially if yee hold onto McStay/McHale.

I could count on one hand the number of 'good performances' in the championship since 2001

so to put two together in the one season v Galway and Mayo is huge progress

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I could count on one hand the number of 'good performances' in the championship since 2001

so to put two together in the one season v Galway and Mayo is huge progress

I wouldn't exactly call our performance against Mayo a good performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I wouldn't exactly call our performance against Mayo a good performance.

to put things into perspective, when you add in the 11 minutes of added time, Roscommon scored 7 points in the last ~70 minutes of the game. the brace of goals kept a poor performance covered for majority of the game.

Ros did well for about 12-15 mins after the break, but overall it was a very disjointed performance and i think i am correct in saying 5 of the starting 6 forwards were replaced?

Advertisement