Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If Tipp draw with Down, Roscommon are promoted as then all three can't finish on nine points and Roscommon have the head to head on Cavan and Tipp. If Tipp lose to Down it comes down to final game.

As far as championship goes Roscommon are still quite a bit away from troubling Mayo or Galway this summer. Having been to every league game the same pattern is emerging. Even against Louth where they could easily have been 2-7 to no score up after ten minutes they then sat back for the next 20 minutes allowing Louth back into the game. Another issue that constantly seems to arise is leaving one defender back isolated against the full forward. So far the teams in division 2 haven't had enough quality to punish Roscommon. There were times in the second half yesterday when Cavan had two forwards being marked by Domican. If Comer/Walsh or Moran/O'Connor find themselves two on one in June they won't need a second invitation.

Our marking has been far too loose as well. Don't think our defenders won too many balls in front of their man yesterday. Also the level of intensity in division two doesn't prepare you for championship football. Barely a tackle in the six games so far from any of the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

rossie1977 wrote: »
    If Tipp draw with Down, Roscommon are promoted as then all three can't finish on nine points and Roscommon have the head to head on Cavan and Tipp. If Tipp lose to Down it comes down to final game.

I'm amusing Tipperary win today.
    As far as championship goes Roscommon are still quite a bit away from troubling Mayo or Galway this summer.

Not sure how you can say that when Roscommon are the defending champions.

Roscommon might be defending champions but both mayo and Galway are playing football at a higher level, with Galway arguably playing the best football in the country right now

You also factor in Roscommon haven't won a game in Castlebar for 32 years and lost by 22 points against Mayo last time out and Galway will be out for revenge after last year and have a great record in the Hyde. Either way Roscommon aren't beating either as it stands without a vast improvement over the coming months.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

Roscommon might be defending champions but both mayo and Galway are playing football at a higher level, with Galway arguably playing the best football in the country right now

You also factor in Roscommon haven't won a game in Castlebar for 32 years and lost by 22 points against Mayo last time out and Galway will be out for revenge after last year and have a great record in the Hyde. Either way Roscommon aren't beating either as it stands without a vast improvement over the coming months.

Yes Galway are playing well but It's the League. Roscommon had great D1 league run a couple years ago, beating the likes of Kerry, Tyrone and Donegal but that didn't stop them from going down to Clare in their first qualifier come the championship.

Mayo are undoubtedly in a class above Roscommon. But I don't believe the Galway hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

The mayo of this year so far? Mayo have looked lackluster and very poor so far this year. They did last year too and only improved when championship came around. On current form, it's be a very close game. I wouldn't say they are a class above with what we've seen this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

miocicmma wrote: »
    Yes Galway are playing well but It's the League. Roscommon had great D1 league run a couple years ago, beating the likes of Kerry, Tyrone and Donegal but that didn't stop them from going down to Clare in their first qualifier come the championship.

Mayo are undoubtedly in a class above Roscommon. But I don't believe the Galway hype.

I don't see any Galway hype. All I see is people saying they don't believe the Galway hype without the presence of actual hype!!

Roscommon were going great in Division 1 until the Mayo game in the Hyde and that seemed to sap them of all confidence and Kerry hammered them. Even then they should have beaten Galway first day in Salthill and the Clare game came 6 days after the Connacht final..don't think Roscommon would have beaten Kilkenny footballers that day given the heads were gone. Galway haven't had any sort of set-back so far like Roscommon experienced two years ago.

Mayo will be a different prospect with the likes of Higgins, Barrett, Vaughan back and O'Shea, O'Connor, Parsons and Moran at full fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

good teams are built on defence
    Roscommons is not good enough.
    Losing Collins and Mullooly would be a huge setback for any county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

As far as championship goes Roscommon are still quite a bit away from troubling Mayo or Galway this summer. Having been to every league game the same pattern is emerging. Even against Louth where they could easily have been 2-7 to no score up after ten minutes they then sat back for the next 20 minutes allowing Louth back into the game. Another issue that constantly seems to arise is leaving one defender back isolated against the full forward. So far the teams in division 2 haven't had enough quality to punish Roscommon. There were times in the second half yesterday when Cavan had two forwards being marked by Domican. If Comer/Walsh or Moran/O'Connor find themselves two on one in June they won't need a second invitation.

Our marking has been far too loose as well. Don't think our defenders won too many balls in front of their man yesterday. Also the level of intensity in division two doesn't prepare you for championship football. Barely a tackle in the six games so far from any of the teams.

Eh....you beat Galway last year & you were only a hairs breath away from beating Mayo. With a bit more belief & composure down the stretch of the drawn game, you probably would have. No reason at all, you can't do as well, or even better this summer, especially when you factor in the slim odds of Andy Moran having another season for the ages & Cillian O'Connor's lack of form, especially on the frees.

Have you been taking lessons in Yerra-ing from Kerry people? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭sean555

A lot of talk about Roscommon falling apart in the 2016 championship after their great league. Roscommon should have beaten Galway in Pearse Stadium the Connacht final in the first game. Doubt they would have been hammered by Tipp like Galway either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

sean555 wrote: »
    A lot of talk about Roscommon falling apart in the 2016 championship after their great league. Roscommon should have beaten Galway in Pearse Stadium the Connacht final in the first game. Doubt they would have been hammered by Tipp like Galway either.

We went out easily to Clare in the qualifier so I wouldn't be too confident we would have done much v Tipp either.

Saying we should have beaten them in Pearse is neither here nor there we didn't have the bottle to go for it and we were hammered in replay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

sean555 wrote: »

No but they did get hammered by Galway in the replay. That's what happens to young teams and I'd include both Roscommon and Galway in that. Inconsistency. I'm sure Galway probably feel they didn't perform in last year's Connacht final either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Eh....you beat Galway last year & you were only a hairs breath away from beating Mayo. With a bit more belief & composure down the stretch of the drawn game, you probably would have. No reason at all, you can't do as well, or even better this summer, especially when you factor in the slim odds of Andy Moran having another season for the ages & Cillian O'Connor's lack of form, especially on the frees.

Have you been taking lessons in Yerra-ing from Kerry people? ;)

To be far the only sides that will be favourites to beat Kerry in championship football this summer will be Dublin and Mayo while Roscommon are currently 3rd favourites to win Connacht and i believe they haven't retained a Connacht title since 1991.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

yabadabado wrote: »
    We went out easily to Clare in the qualifier so I wouldn't be too confident we would have done much v Tipp either.

Saying we should have beaten them in Pearse is neither here nor there we didn't have the bottle to go for it and we were hammered in replay.

6 day turnaround is very hard to overcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Roscommon have a history of boom and bust
    1998 followed by 1999 (we thought we were 2nd best team in Ireland)
    2001 followed by 2002 (we thought we'd get revenge!)

the year we really missed out was 2011 imho

6 day turnaround is very hard to overcome

That's true and I think the damage was done in the replay, very hard come back from that. My point is there's nothing to say Tipp couldn't have done similar to us in QF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

To be far the only sides that will be favourites to beat Kerry in championship football this summer will be Dublin and Mayo while Roscommon are currently 3rd favourites to win Connacht and i believe they haven't retained a Connacht title since 1991.

I definitely won't be taking any tips from you if you think Mayo would be favourites to beat Kerry this year, especially on current form.

i'd have us 7th or 8th in the run in if we can get a decent draw. be nice to see a semi final this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

RossieMan wrote: »
    I definitely won't be taking any tips from you if you think Mayo would be favourites to beat Kerry this year, especially on current form.

i'd have us 7th or 8th in the run in if we can get a decent draw. be nice to see a semi final this year.

I don't set the odds and current league form rarely comes into it for championship match ups in the height of the summer. If Roscommon are promoted back to Div 1 and reach the super 8 this summer then both objectives will be reached anything else will be a bonus.

I don't set the odds and current league form rarely comes into it for championship match ups in the height of the summer. If Roscommon are promoted back to Div 1 and reach the super 8 this summer then both objectives will be reached anything else will be a bonus.

If Roscommon make the super 8's, it will be a terrific year for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Nah. That's just matching last year, and if we don't have the Connacht title too it won't be even as good as that.

With the draw we have winning at least one if not two of the round robin games in the AIQF has to be the goal.

One of Galway or Mayo will have to win win upwards of seven games on a near weekly basis to make the AISFs - that would be a terrific if improbable achievement.

• Advertisement

Getting promoted to DIV 1 and making the Super 8s is a must in my opinion.
    3 top quality games at that QF stage would do us the world of good and aim to get a win or two.
    We have to try and push on from last year, winning Connacht and the first QF were great but we need to be getting further into the Championship. Easier said than done though.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

Getting promoted to DIV 1 and making the Super 8s is a must in my opinion.
    3 top quality games at that QF stage would do us the world of good and aim to get a win or two.
    We have to try and push on from last year, winning Connacht and the first QF were great but we need to be getting further into the Championship. Easier said than done though.
    Failure to make the last 8, by front or back door would be a major disappointment and set back.
    If we get there we need to win at least 1 game to show some progress.
    In 2016 and 2017 we were mentally and physically unable for 2 or 3 high level games in successive weeks.
    If we have solved that weakness we could have a right chance of an All Ireland Semi.

What would you consider a good year for Galway championship wise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

So, a win against Cork on Sunday and we go straight back up to Division 1. After the Down game, I would have taken your arm off to be in this position going into round 7. Have to be happy with 3 wins on the trot, no matter who you're playing. Thought Compton was very good again against Cavan. Ciarain Murtagh had a stormer, Niall Daly got through Trojan work on the left, not too many lads played badly but our bench was the difference in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

So, a win against Cork on Sunday and we go straight back up to Division 1. After the Down game, I would have taken your arm off to be in this position going into round 7. Have to be happy with 3 wins on the trot, no matter who you're playing. Thought Compton was very good again against Cavan. Ciarain Murtagh had a stormer, Niall Daly got through Trojan work on the left, not too many lads played badly but our bench was the difference in the end.

Cork seem to play better away from home but can't see them winning on Sunday bar a sending off. Also missing a lot of players to date and not sure if nemo players will he given another week off. Still an outside chance of relegation but glad not going up as nowhere ready for division 1.

Cork seem to play better away from home but can't see them winning on Sunday bar a sending off. Also missing a lot of players to date and not sure if nemo players will he given another week off. Still an outside chance of relegation but glad not going up as nowhere ready for division 1.

I'd be shocked if the teams below Cork got enough to drag Cork down. Especially with some of them playing each other. A win for Down on Sunday will see Cork safe even if they are beaten by Ros.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I'd be shocked if the teams below Cork got enough to drag Cork down. Especially with some of them playing each other. A win for Down on Sunday will see Cork safe even if they are beaten by Ros.

Yes it's unlikely but still possible which says enough about cork football at the moment. Beating Tipp and getting to a Munster final will be an achievement this year but I think a McCarthy will bring them on once a full deck to play with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Beat Mayo

Simple as that

It may seem like a straight forward question but I do not think its a straight forward answer! I'd like to see us be competitive against the top teams. I don't think we can expect too much more than that. Like, I don't think losing to Mayo by a couple of points in a tight match would be a disaster if we were to go on and reach the super 8's and be competitive in them. But if we were to beat Mayo by a point, beat Roscommon in Connacht final, and then get to the super 8's and are blown away by every team, I wouldn't consider that a great year either. Not reaching the super 8's would certainly be a disappointment. I would imagine that most (or all) of division 1 teams would be expecting to get to the super 8's while all of the division 2 teams would be hoping to get there.

• Advertisement

3 changes for the final league vs Cork

Lavin starts in goal, Conor Daly comes in for his brother Ronan and Ultan Harney starts at number 6 instead of Niall Daly

DY7OddRXcAAdYq1.jpg

Advertisement