Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Interesting. Management still experimenting with Ultan at 6. Personally would have him midfield 11 or 14 myself

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

Is this match being broadcast on your local radio station?

Would appreciate the link if the answer is yes.

Thanks people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Parts of the match along with the Leitrim and Longford games will be broadcast on shannonside

http://shannonside.ie/wp-content/plugins/harpoon-radioplayer/shannonside/

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭wackokid

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Parts of the match along with the Leitrim and Longford games will be broadcast on shannonside

http://shannonside.ie/wp-content/plugins/harpoon-radioplayer/shannonside/

Thank you Rossie.............much appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭tanko

wackokid wrote: »
    Thank you Rossie.............much appreciated

Wait til you hear the lad that commentates on the Roscommon matches, he's something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

tanko wrote: »
    Wait til you hear the lad that commentates on the Roscommon matches, he's something else.

An embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

It's on Corks C103 FM also. If you are not in Cork pick it up on Tunein Radio. I usually go to the oppositions station to listen too the match this way. The Tyrone commentary probably one of the best on local radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭Nobbies

yabadabado wrote: »
    An embarrassment.

Ah no! rte haven't aman or woman within their ranks that could even lace willie hegartys boots when it comes to commentary.the man has it all.he probably should be playing with his passion for roscommon.willie all the way.

Nobbies wrote: »
    Ah no! rte haven't aman or woman within their ranks that could even lace willie hegartys boots when it comes to commentary.the man has it all.he probably should be playing with his passion for roscommon.willie all the way.

He hasn't a clue, spends more time talking BS than actually commentating on the match. If I can't make it to a match I'd always try and get it on another station than have to endure him. I do feel sorry for his Co commentators who can barely get a word but want to discuss the game.

Promotion secured but a lot of problems still to be ironed out.
    We made much harder work of that than was needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Great to see Ultan back to his best. Huge addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭JR79

Ultan back is a huge addition, it's one of the most pleasing things about this management team, they look after the players and let them recover, this is why we have D. Murtagh and U. Harney back, 2 key players in the future of this team

Syferus wrote: »
    Great to see Ultan back to his best. Huge addition.

Not near his best yet. He will only improve as he gets games. Pity about the sending off at the end seemed harsh from here I was watching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

hopefully next year the few lads away will be able to commit

Division One football is a huge carrot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Thought Ultan was absolutely class today, pipped DMurtagh for MOTM for me. Thought both the Lennons did well today too.

Still issues to work out, Cork's physicality absolutely killed us at times, we still really struggle with that sort of game. That's not a good Cork side and we made work of it.

Goalie is a major worry. We've been going back and forth between Lavin and Featherston and the kickouts have been a disaster all year. Two hop balls given away today from not kicking it out long enough, absolute junior B stuff that. McStay clearly doesn't fancy either of them.

Forwards are still a bit too static at times and it's infuriating. Thought Cathal Cregg made a big difference when we came on, he's a hell of a creator and we were able to kick on and put the game to bed from there. We're a totally different team from an attacking standpoint with him in the lineup.

All said and done, we got promoted in third gear for a lot of the campaign and with work to do yet. Won a lot of close games as well which is good for the team's development, as will another year of playing in the top flight

Back in division 1, yeoooo

Why is Shane Mannion of Bridget's not in the squad? He was the best underage goalkeeper in the county over the past decade. As it stands now the goalkeeper issue is a massive problem.

I personally thought Kilroy was motm, he has has been a relevation under McStay. Obviously great to see Harney back but we need to keep him and Compton fit for an extended period.

It's great to have strength in depth this year and able to bring players like Enda Smith, Niall Daly and Cathal Cregg off the bench. Those three played a big part getting us over the line today. As spiralism pointed out Roscommon have been playing in second/third gear all throughout the league. Question is now can they raise their game for the championship or will they stay in this comfort zone..time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

spiralism wrote: »
    Thought Ultan was absolutely class today, pipped DMurtagh for MOTM for me. Thought both the Lennons did well today too.

Still issues to work out, Cork's physicality absolutely killed us at times, we still really struggle with that sort of game. That's not a good Cork side and we made work of it.

Goalie is a major worry. We've been going back and forth between Lavin and Featherston and the kickouts have been a disaster all year. Two hop balls given away today from not kicking it out long enough, absolute junior B stuff that. McStay clearly doesn't fancy either of them.

Forwards are still a bit too static at times and it's infuriating. Thought Cathal Cregg made a big difference when we came on, he's a hell of a creator and we were able to kick on and put the game to bed from there. We're a totally different team from an attacking standpoint with him in the lineup.

All said and done, we got promoted in third gear for a lot of the campaign and with work to do yet. Won a lot of close games as well which is good for the team's development, as will another year of playing in the top flight

Back in division 1, yeoooo

On the goalkeeper issue, anybody know why o'keefe walked away? Did he want the keepers to not be rotated? It seems somewhat reasonable to me to rotate them in the league (certainly in the earlier rounds). I know Galway, Dublin, Mayo have all used more than one goalkeeper.

On the goalkeeper issue, anybody know why o'keefe walked away? Did he want the keepers to not be rotated? It seems somewhat reasonable to me to rotate them in the league (certainly in the earlier rounds). I know Galway, Dublin, Mayo have all used more than one goalkeeper.

Lavin is the better of the two, but not by much. Featherstone is only a young lad of 20.

By all accounts O'Keefe wanted Lavin and McStay wanted Featherstone so he left.

At this stage it doesn't matter as neither are close to being good enough at this level. Featherstone is still extremely young so might get better but he is not ready yet to hold down the spot.

who is doing the goalkeeping coaching now?

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    By all accounts O'Keefe wanted Lavin and McStay wanted Featherstone so he left.

At this stage it doesn't matter as neither are close to being good enough at this level. Featherstone is still extremely young so might get better but he is not ready yet to hold down the spot.

Both are better than Galway's revolving door of keepers and they topped D1, let's not over state the issue or the importance of it.

Lavin's size is a massive advantage when we're playing with an undersized FB line. I remember the days every team would try to bombard our square with high ball, it's interesting you forgot that and are so fast to criticise. To say both aren't anywhere near good enough is serious editorialising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Power and Lavelle are better keepers than the current no 1 and 2 that Roscommon have but as been said on Featherstone he is young and can improve, Lavin on the other hand is in his mid 20s and isn't going to get much better now. Shane Mannion who was a good minor and U21 keeper will eventually be given his chance to prove his worth at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

I actually taught Lavins kickouts were much improved yesterday apart from the one he delayed which resulted in hop ball. Was other end of field for other hop ball but looked like Stack gathered it before it crossed the 21. He wasnt happy about it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Congrats on the promotion to Division 1. 3 Connacht teams there next year is a great sign as to how things are improving in the province in terms of competitiveness.

We've been here before
    In early noughties Ros, Sligo, Mayo and Galway were in Division 1
    2000/2001 Season
    YIu8cmA.jpg

2001/2002
    RhTqmRD.jpg

Not really comparable when it was 1A and 1B.

One change for league final. Lavin out, Featherstone back in goal

DZe0B1RVMAAwaAa.jpg

Edit: subs named. McInerney back for first time since Down game and McManus back after injury

16 Colm Lavin Éire Óg
    17 Cathal Cregg Western Gaels
    18 Enda Smith Boyle
    19 Fintan Cregg Elphin
    20 Ian Kilbride St Brigid’s
    21 John Mc Manus Roscommon Gaels
    22 Niall Daly Padraig Pearses
    23 Niall McInerney St Brigid’s
    24 Ronan Daly Padraig Pearses
    25 Sean Mc Dermott Western Gaels
    26 Shane Killoran Elphin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Well, while I'm happy with the result, I must be the only person in the land that didn't actually enjoy that match.

1. Right throughout the game but especially the first half, the turning over of the ball by Roscommon was just criminal. Time and time again just giving the ball away so carelessly had me wanting to pull the little hair I have out.

2. Then the schoolboy defending had a Cavan man behind me saying early on "I said we'll need 6 goals to win and we just might get them". Nobody contradicted him! With good reason.

3. In the first half Featherstone's kickouts were noticably quicker than previously and he found his man consistently, but once we went 5/6 points up in the second half everything slowed down ridiculously, meaning having to go long and inevitably losing the ball. Even when a Roscommon man got free it seemed to take an age to get the ball to him, meaning he was covered by the time the ball eventually came. I'm still not sure whether this was due to players not bothering to make themselves available or whether the goalie decided to slow things down as we were leading, but it was poor decision-making from somebody.

4. I'm not normally so negative, especially when we've just won in Croke Park, but there are just too many Roscommon players who don't have defensive instincts when the opposition have the ball. They kind of go through the motions, being reasonably close, but not touch-tight. Doing it by the numbers but not actually 'feeling' the danger until it's too late. We have three very good defensive players - guys who actually mark tight and make life very difficult for the opposition and they are Davey Murray, Domnican and McInerney. Despite being very good ball players our half-backs caused all three first half goals today with poor defensive play and carelessness and the players further up the field have a tendency to let their men off after an initial half-hearted effort to stay close.

Ok, that all might seem harsh, but I wasn't the only one getting very frustrated watching Roscommon give a team that just isn't as good as them chance after chance to beat them. And the reason being - Roscommon's attacking play just keeps getting better. They are so imaginative, creative and downright dangerous when going forward. They've obviously worked on a lot of offensive moves in the last two years and they sure aren't afraid to put them into practice, so now they need to balance that out with better defensive work.

It's funny I suppose, having both Spillane and Brolly gushing with praise for Roscommon on TV when I'm always giving out about their negativity and now I'm doing the same, but I just see a lot of potential in this young team, but as McStay said they have a lot of work to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Good post megadodge.

Another area for concern is how we really struggle when a team/player runs directly at us, the first half goals being cases in point. The third goal coming directly from our own kick out was criminal at this level.

Any truth in Niall Mcinerney going travelling for the summer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Good post megadodge.

Another area for concern is how we really struggle when a team/player runs directly at us, the first half goals being cases in point. The third goal coming directly from our own kick out was criminal at this level.

Any truth in Niall Mcinerney going travelling for the summer?

Certainly didn't hear anything on that front. I doubt if he was going travelling they's parachute him in for this game and then adios. I suspect it could be crossed lines with Mullooly.

Advertisement