Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

What's the feeling for Sunday lads?

Really looking forward to it myself. So many different permutations and match ups to look at but I have to say the one area I'm really worried about is what could happen if Galway really push up on our kick outs and press hard. Can't see Galway not putting a man on Kilroy dropping deep in those positions.
    Need big games from likes of Enda and Cathal around the middle. If they can give us a platform at midfield we have the men inside who can do damage. Will be interesting to see how Galway system works out, was very impressive in the league.
    Any word on the subs? Too soon for Niall Daly and Ultan Harney??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Any word on the subs? Too soon for Niall Daly and Ultan Harney??

Well the Roscommon GAA Twitter account had it that 33 out of 34 players are available for selection, Ciarán Lennon being the only injury.

I wouldn't be starting anyone who isn't 100% match fit on Sunday either. The first 20 minutes of that will be hell for leather. Roscommon grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck in that period last year and by the time Galway woke up, Ros had enough damage done to keep them at bay.

Galway are rightly favourites and we need a few big performances in the same way that Enda Smith stood out in Salthill. I'd expect it to be a close game. The likes of Harney, Daly, Cathal Cregg coming off the bench late on could do damage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Where were they last year when Comer went missing?

I'd hardly describe 2 points from play desite being crowded out for 35 mins and getting no supply as 'missing'. Shane Walsh was beside him, who was ok. Burke and McHugh will be the two to likely start the next day, didn't play. Everyone else, including subs were diabolical that day

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Where were they last year when Comer went missing?

The whole team got caught cold by Roscommon and were deservedly beaten but we all know that. We could discuss last year but what's the point wondering where those same Roscommon forwards were against mayo last year in the replay? Not much point dwelling too much on last year. Galway won't be caught out the same way this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The whole team got caught cold by Roscommon and were deservedly beaten but we all know that. We could discuss last year but what's the point wondering where those same Roscommon forwards were against mayo last year in the replay? Not much point dwelling too much on last year. Galway won't be caught out the same way this year.
    Maybe.
    Time will tell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Maybe.
    Time will tell

Time will tell indeed. Definitely way more confidence from Roscommon this year compared to last year before the Connacht final. Looking forward to a win down there now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭blowitupref

No way will Galway be "caught cold" and beaten by 9 points this Sunday as Galway have improved especially in defence but i'd still fancy the rossies to win but only by the narrowest of margins this time. Key for Roscommon will be to keep 15 men on the field and to be more potent in attack than Mayo were against Galway on May 13th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭degzs

Which side would be the best option to get to the pitch Athlone side or Ballygar side. I would think traffic would be better on the Athlone side to get home?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

degzs wrote: »
    Which side would be the best option to get to the pitch Athlone side or Ballygar side. I would think traffic would be better on the Athlone side to get home?

If you have a terrace ticket you have to enter via Athlone Rd side.
    Where you travelling home to ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭degzs

Back to Galway city. 
    yabadabado wrote: »

Back to Galway city. Ticket is for uncovered seating have to enter the stadium via the entrance on the Golf Links Road

Want to figure out my best option.

• Advertisement

Back to Galway city. 

Back to Galway city. Ticket is for uncovered seating have to enter the stadium via the entrance on the Golf Links Road

park out near the county home
    take road for curraghboy and then onto monksland and go the motorway back to galway city

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Back to Galway city. 

You probably wouldnt be used to the roads but best way and quickest you be to park around the golf course and enter Hyde that side. On leaving ground you can get back on the Athlone road via the road beside golf course or way i would go is cross country, Rahara,Curraghboy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Pay to park at caseys and wards.
    Payment goes to charity.

You could park around the Abbey business park/Library/Abbey Hotel area and go back to Galway via Ballygar instead of going to Athlone for the M6.

If you are coming from Golf links exit then you will be well ahead of anyone going that route coming from Athlone Rd. Exits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

way i would go is cross country, Rahara,Curraghboy

That's a narrow twisty road but I would go as far as Mote Park and come back onto the N61 from there.

Half an hour segment on OTB. They spend 8 mins talking about Ros.

Pique wrote: »

You'd swear Galway were defending champions and looking to win back to back titles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

You'd swear Galway were defending champions and looking to win back to back titles

Surely even a bit of research could have been done.....we have Cathal Compton to knock over a few frees and can spring Cian Connolly off the bench :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Uh oh, we're in trouble - David Brady predicted a Roscommon win!

He clearly dislikes Galway more than us.
    Which is unusual for a Mayo man

• Advertisement

He clearly dislikes Galway more than us.
    Which is unusual for a Mayo man

It's a pity he is a complete gob****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,365 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Best of luck to Roscommon on Sunday.
    I used to hate seeing ye doing well but now that Galway are (alledgly) on the way up, Roscommon are the better of two evils.

I hope Galway fcuk it up like last year or like ye did v Sligo a few years back.

Full house for Sunday,supposed to have sold out yesterday.
    Could easily have held another 5k .

Full house for Sunday,supposed to have sold out yesterday.
    Could easily have held another 5k .

Could easily have held another 10k. Easily!!

megadodge wrote: »
    Could easily have held another 10k. Easily!!

The Galway bandwagon are waiting for Croker

Jesus I hope we stuff them. Listening to the sport show on 2fm this evening and it was all "I don't see any way Galway can't win with their forwards and last year was an ambush and Div 1 will have helped Galway" etc.

Even if we outplay them and win by 3 or 4 points the narrative will be "ambush" again.

Brady was very fair on OTB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭spurshero

Jesus I hope we stuff them. Listening to the sport show on 2fm this evening and it was all "I don't see any way Galway can't win with their forwards and last year was an ambush and Div 1 will have helped Galway" etc.

Even if we outplay them and win by 3 or 4 points the narrative will be "ambush" again.

Brady was very fair on OTB.
    It’s the pundits that’s doing all the talking . Up n Galway it’s pretty much seen as a 50 50 . Personally I can’t understand how ros are 3 to 1 in bookies

spurshero wrote: »
    It’s the pundits that’s doing all the talking . Up n Galway it’s pretty much seen as a 50 50 . Personally I can’t understand how ros are 3 to 1 in bookies

I agree. Most Galway people I know see it as a tough game and are taking nothing for granted. It's the lazy media, who have a long history of overrating Galway while knowing next to nothing about Roscommon, that are making all the noise about "quality forwards" etc. I'd rate Roscommon's attacking quality as higher than Galway's, but defensively Galway are better. Midfield remains a bit of a mystery in both sides.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

I have one ticket for sale for the match tomorrow. Uncovered sideline seating - €25 .. pm if interested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

megadodge wrote: »
    I agree. Most Galway people I know see it as a tough game and are taking nothing for granted. It's the lazy media, who have a long history of overrating Galway while knowing next to nothing about Roscommon, that are making all the noise about "quality forwards" etc. I'd rate Roscommon's attacking quality as higher than Galway's, but defensively Galway are better. Midfield remains a bit of a mystery in both sides.

The Roscommon defence must be awful if thats the case! Because Galway do not have brilliant defenders. The full back line is particularly suspect. Dont think Galway's midfield is too mysterious either as Conroy & Flynn are very well known players.

The one thing I loved about Galway being in D2 was nobody knew what you were up to as their games received much less coverage. This year, a lot of experts have suddenly emerged about Galway. So I don't know a whole lot about Roscommon this year. While ye won the D2 league final, I felt ye looked very very open at the back in that game and if ye don't tighten up, I think Galway will win. I guess McStay is probably astute enough to tighten things up though. And from what I have seen in the past, the Murtaghs & Smith are quality players. Not sure I'd swap them for Walsh & Comer however.

Advertisement