Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Anybody know the story with Brian Stack?

I heard from one person only before the Armagh game and nobody else could confirm, that he was out for the year with some injury. Then I see he's named in the subs for Saturday.

I'm happy to see him back, but why was he not in the panel last week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Stack was injured for the Armagh game but it wasn't serious.

Fergal Lennon is out for the rest of the year through injury so maybe they were getting them mixed up?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

I'm on the hill tomorrow. first time ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

You'll be grand. We might even share our chips with you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

miocicmma wrote: »

Hill is a grand spot for a game ,good atmosphere when its full.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Hill is a grand spot for a game ,good atmosphere when its full.

I'll probably have it to myself for the Roscommon game. For the 2nd game I expect to be joined by a small number of quite, sober, locals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Just slag off Mayo at any available opportunity & you'll be welcomed with open arms.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Just slag off Mayo at any available opportunity & you'll be welcomed with open arms.

When I'm not cheering for Roscommon, I'm usually slagging Mayo, So that shouldn't be a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

miocicmma wrote: »

See u there

I'll ask the question again

Why do Roscommon have to play two games in Croke Park?

• Advertisement

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I'll ask the question again

Why do Roscommon have to play two games in Croke Park?

Not this crap again.

It's been explained several times now .

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Harryclaim

megadodge wrote: »
    Anybody know the story with Brian Stack?

I heard from one person only before the Armagh game and nobody else could confirm, that he was out for the year with some injury. Then I see he's named in the subs for Saturday.

I'm happy to see him back, but why was he not in the panel last week?

Stack was injured in a challenge game vs galway after the connacht final when he received a bruised rib for an off the ball incident... asking for trouble playing galway in a challenge after the connacht final if u ask me

Mcstay out! People getting far too excited and satisfied with reaching the super 8s when in reality we’ve beaten Leitrim and Armagh to get here.. showed today that were a long long way off the pace and it’s not going to get any better... connacht draw hasn’t helped us at all would rather be in qualifiers against the likes of Kildare , tipp etc and see how good we really are instead of getting beat out the gate in all 3 super 8 games

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Lower bowl goes as far back as ww. You can see the whole pitch right at the very back under the over-hang but you can't see the stand opposite side of the field. Lower Hogan has tv every few rows showing the game live right at the back (maybe others stands have too) so it's a great place in a really freezing cold day like the intermediate club final this year.

As far as match goes great to see Ciaran Lennon back on the panel. Hasn't featured in any of the championship games this year after breaking his thumb in training for the first under 20 game. He was tremendous in the league as a target man full forward and gave Roscommon an option they haven't had in that position for a number of years.

Lennon is a great player and one of our betters in the league this year just a pity management didn’t bring him on , brought on 3/4 very questionable subs

Harryclaim wrote: »
    Mcstay out! People getting far too excited and satisfied with reaching the super 8s when in reality we’ve beaten Leitrim and Armagh to get here.. showed today that were a long long way off the pace and it’s not going to get any better... connacht draw hasn’t helped us at all would rather be in qualifiers against the likes of Kildare , tipp etc and see how good we really are instead of getting beat out the gate in all 3 super 8 games

We cannot defend or tackle
    Got caught twice with a simple run around the back and one of our defenders didn't track back
    Penalty due to lads marking space instead of an opponent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Mcstay out!

Calm down dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

And replace him with Who?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

And replace him with Who?

I wouldn't be looking at replacing him but I do think he needs to shake up the coaching staff and bring someone in with fresh ideas especially from a defensive point of view.
    Another big game in Croke Park and another wipe out, our weaknesses again ruthlessly exposed. Everyone in here recognises our weaknesses yet they seem to be ignored or glossed over and we repeat the same mistakes over and over.
    I don't for one second doubt the time, effort, commitment, and sacrifice the team and staff have put in during the year and for a few years now but simple mistakes keep being made. Even basic stuff like tackling technique. Looking at the Galway game yesterday the noticeable thing was they way they attacked the ball making tackles. The very first Tyrone point illustrated it perfectly, Sludden just carried the ball through 3 of our lads, at this level there is no way anyone should be allowed to that.
    There were times in the first half where we actually had all but 2 players behind the ball but Tyrone were still able to pick their way through us to take scores. It just appeared to be dropping lads back for the sake of it with no clear plan of what to do in that position.
    Massive task ahead now for what looks like a long few weeks. The optimist in me is hoping that there is a kick in the team for next weekend to respond and give it a good rattle next Saturday.
    Apologies for the negativity but this team have given us some great days and I hated seeing what happened to them last weekend and feel their is definite potential in this team to move up a level and be really competitive in these types of games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

My head is still spinning after that. With this team, when things go wrong, the heads tend to drop. It happened against Mayo in the replay, it happened against Galway in the CF - albeit very late on - and it happened when Tyrone got their second goal. I'm not for one second doubting the commitment of these lads who have given us a lot of great days out recently, but there seems to be a mental thing there. They aren't bad footballers. That Tyrone team isn't exactly fantastic but they knew their game plan, they knew our weaknesses and they went for the jugular.

Hopefully there is a kick in them for Saturday. A good performance would restore a bit of pride and you have to imagine that those Roscommon players will be hurting and want to put things right. McStay has a job of work on this week, but we'll see.

Hope we get a big performance on Saturday
    I don't think there's anything to fear with this Donegal team.
    Put someone on Murphy and stop him getting his head up to pick out passes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Donegal are under a lot of pressure. They wont want their last game to be of no importance.
    Ross should go all out and show the ability. They have done well in the league but need a boost of confidence now as their aim over the next while is to be hitting the last eight at least and kick on from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Team vs Donegal

DiasSGBVQAAV4Rh.jpg

Substitutes
    James Featherstone Roscommon Gaels
    Caoileann Fitzmaurice Michael Glavey’s
    Ciaran Lennon Clann na nGael
    Donie Smith Boyle
    Finbar Cregg Western Gaels
    Ian Kilbride St Brigid’s
    Niall Daly Padraig Pearses
    Padraig Kelly St Brigid’s
    Peter Domican St Brigid’s
    Ross Timothy St Croan’s
    Shane Killoran Elphin

TOR must have serious dirt or scandal on the two lads in management that they keep picking him
    He's been anonymous all summer

TOR must have serious dirt or scandal on the two lads in management that they keep picking him
    He's been anonymous all summer

Not blessed with much better options.

TOR actually did ok today
    Not many others did.
    Including our manager who could be in trouble

The referee must have relations in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

I'm not so sure if it would have made much difference if his relations were from Roscommon from what I saw.
    Fair play to Tyrone. They prob had greater ref issues though. Felt so wrong to find myself cheering for Tyrone like a loon!!!

Will be hard to drive to Dublin for our next game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

I'm not so sure if it would have made much difference if his relations were from Roscommon from what I saw.
    Fair play to Tyrone. They prob had greater ref issues though. Felt so wrong to find myself cheering for Tyrone like a loon!!!

Will be hard to drive to Dublin for our next game.

Roscommon had far bigger issues than the referee.

They had.
    But he gave Donegal at least 3/4 non existent frees and decided Murphy can do anything he wants.
    And denied Ros 2 scoring chances at end of 1st half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

They had.
    But he gave Donegal at least 3/4 non existent frees and decided Murphy can do anything he wants.
    And denied Ros 2 scoring chances at end of 1st half.
    It’s much easier to enjoy a game with both eyes open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

If McStay gets hit with a hefty ban do ye think he might leave after the Dublin game?
    I'd imagine he is going to get 12 weeks at least based on what I read about the rules yesterday. The other option is 48 which would be over the top but would seriously affect his ability to manage Roscommon next season.

Advertisement