Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It’s much easier to enjoy a game with both eyes open
    Thanks for that.
    I'm going to games and coaching long enough to know what is a free and what isn't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    It’s much easier to enjoy a game with both eyes open
    Thanks for that.
    I'm going to games and coaching long enough to know what is a free and what isn't
    And what level do you ref at?

And what level do you ref at?

Used to do adult and college games.
    Don't have the time anymore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

They had.
    But he gave Donegal at least 3/4 non existent frees and decided Murphy can do anything he wants.
    And denied Ros 2 scoring chances at end of 1st half.

He didn't give at least 2 tap over frees for Donegal early on that should have been given. He even gave a free against McHugh for over-carrying for one of them when he was having the jersey nearly pulled off him.

Swings and roundabouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

He was poor overall .The ref didn't lose the game for Ros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Ultimately another very disappointing day at the office. An improvement on the previous week but Donegal comfortably dealt with us in second gear.

The long standing issues of securing possession from our own kick outs and being too easy for the opposition to play through the middle of us were again to the fore.
    The difference in small things was also stark such as support play. The Donegal man in possession always had a man sprinting off his shoulder at a different angle to take a fist pass in order to break through lines and in fairness it is very difficult to stop when done right. In comparison plenty of times Devaney had possession along the wing but his only real option was a pass to a man running parallel to him 10-15 yards in front of him. Ultimately this player was getting bottled up with no option to play the ball back slowing down and stopping the impetus in our attack.
    Some of these things are easily fixed, others obviously not so but it points to me that McStay needs to make hard decisions regarding his coaching staff if we are to progress and push on next year instead of looking at the same deficiencies happening over and over again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

yabadabado wrote: »
    He was poor overall .The ref didn't lose the game for Ros.
    No he didnt. Donegal were the better team but they were helped in a major way by a biased ref. He was pretty pathetic in his hard on for given Donegal everything. Disgrace that its Ulster officials doing the game with a little hardman from Fermanagh on the line. Should be neutral officials

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Ah here. They beat us off the pitch. You're clutching at straws thinking we ever had a chance of beating them with the current mentality. No defensive ideas at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

No he didnt. Donegal were the better team but they were helped in a major way by a biased ref. He was pretty pathetic in his hard on for given Donegal everything. Disgrace that its Ulster officials doing the game with a little hardman from Fermanagh on the line. Should be neutral officials
    Donegal were helped, in a major way, by a team that were poorly coached. They had no kick out strategy, were consistenly exposed defensively by poor structures and were absolutely clueless in attack, failing to move the point of attack, getting no width on the ball and running into their own players on a number of occasions.
    A Roscommon man could have reffed that game and Donegal would still have won comfortably.

Donegal were helped, in a major way, by a team that were poorly coached. They had no kick out strategy, were consistenly exposed defensively by poor structures and were absolutely clueless in attack, failing to move the point of attack, getting no width on the ball and running into their own players on a number of occasions.
    A Roscommon man could have reffed that game and Donegal would still have won comfortably.
    I agree with yeah but that still doenst mean the refs biased performance is acceptable. I doubt we will see much of him for rest of the summer once his performace is reviewed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Harryclaim

Great to see mcstay got the punishment he deserved hopefully he’ll get the door next. Hopefully someone with a defensive mind with a decent s&c coach can take this team to another level

How would you replace McStay with ?

What's wrong with the current S&C coach ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Harryclaim wrote: »
    Great to see mcstay got the punishment he deserved

Why any Roscommon supporter would come out with a quote like this is beyond me. It isn't great to see our Senior Manager get a 12 week suspension for being an eejit, regardless of the circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

McStay had to get 12 weeks - he'll know that himself - I wouldn't be one calling for his head, but it's very clear while we have some grand footballers we aren't near physically strong enough to compete at this level - for me that's where we have to concentrate on improving...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

pjmn wrote: »
    McStay had to get 12 weeks - he'll know that himself - I wouldn't be one calling for his head, but it's very clear while we have some grand footballers we aren't near physically strong enough to compete at this level - for me that's where we have to concentrate on improving...

And i'm sure if the aim is to be consistently competitive against the best teams then defensive organization has to be a high priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Cells obviously has no idea of football. Complete tosser comment.

And i'm sure if the aim is to be consistently competitive against the best teams then defensive organization has to be a high priority

It was naive not to get someone in who could have helped shape a defensive strategy. It's not like this has just happened ,it's been an issue for a while.
    Collins and Mullooly not involved is also a massive loss when we are so light of numbers at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

yabadabado wrote: »
    It was naive not to get someone in who could have helped shape a defensive strategy. It's not like this has just happened ,it's been an issue for a while.
    Collins and Mullooly not involved is also a massive loss when we are so light of numbers at the back.
    I'm open to correction but i think about 4 or 5 new backs was brought into the panel this year and most of them weren't given much of run out, he took a big risk bringing Domican back after 6 years away and he found the pace of championship football too much. Conor Daly a starting defender on the DCU Sigerson cup winning team a few years ago dropped off the panel last weekend and his Brother Niall allowed to play for his club midweek while not used v Donegal what was going on there? Sean McDermott is done and along with Ian Kilbride you would have wonder why both didn't retire from county football last year?

McStay continues to try to make defenders out of non defenders O Rourke v Tyrone,Harney since last year,Fintan Cregg this summer,Conor Devaney since last year to name but a few its easy to know he was a forward himself and seems to have little idea to what is required defensively. If he gets someone in to help out on a defensive strategy will he listen to him? his fall out with O Donnell seemed to be on the argument of wanting to play a more offensive game ignoring the fact to be competitive against the best that you must first build your team on solid defensive structure.

Fall out with o'Donnell was because Fergal tried to take full control with the backing of the other two Boyle lads kevin had zero say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Many going to this? I'd say it could have been played in Kiltoom for the crowd they'll get. Thankfully I'll be at a wedding so I'll watch the game on RTÉ News Now, where we have a good record recently. Pity there's absolutely nothing to play for, the atmosphere will be sh!te.

Sadly, it's obviously about keeping the score respectable and coming out of this with some credit. Dublin are far too professional an outfit to take it easy on us so I think our lads will need to play to the level they hit against Armagh at the very least. I hope they do themselves justice, the bigger picture is that we need to develop a more defensive gameplan for the big teams, but the reality is that that ain't gonna happen by Sunday. Safe journey to any hardy souls heading to the game.

• Advertisement

Yeah think I'll go to see the year out!

I'm predicting a 10+ defeat

I'm predicting a 10+ defeat

I'd expect the same,anything under 10 is a bonus.

Will go up to support them,the season has ended poorly but overall I think we did well.Div 1 football and Super 8s was always the goal and we achieved both.
    Connacht final was there to be won,winning that could have seen us be at least somewhat competitive in the other group.

Looks like that was the last time we will see Seanie Mac in a Roscommon jersey. He was last player off the pitch after being hugged by a lot of his team mates.
    The quintessential fan's favourite, he always gave 100% effort and commitment to the cause for his entire county career and would have graced the team in any era.

Thanks for all the memories especially your inspiring solo runs out of defence Seanie. You will be missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Looks like that was the last time we will see Seanie Mac in a Roscommon jersey. He was last player off the pitch after being hugged by a lot of his team mates.
    The quintessential fan's favourite, he always gave 100% effort and commitment to the cause for his entire county career and would have graced the team in any era.

Thanks for all the memories especially your inspiring solo runs out of defence Seanie. You will be missed.

Lovely post.

I've known Seanie personally since he was a kid and he's as decent a person as you'll ever meet. Was a true stalwart for years even on some poor teams. I hope he enjoys his retirement.

I hope there's a serious review of the coaching and S&C set up in the senior squad.
    Also, we need to find some more physical defenders. Lads that will not be afraid to run into an opponent to slow him down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

I hope there's a serious review of the coaching and S&C set up in the senior squad.
    Also, we need to find some more physical defenders. Lads that will not be afraid to run into an opponent to slow him down

or even just "mark" them.
    Too many free men attacking.
    Is that not a simple principle.

I would note that the forwards must be some operators to score respectably, despite being on thin rations in the last three games.

or even just "mark" them.
    Too many free men attacking.
    Is that not a simple principle.

I would note that the forwards must be some operators to score respectably, despite being on thin rations in the last three games.
    Forwards losing the ball easily and shooting terrible wides is one of the main reasons we lost by so much to Tyrone. We could have had the 6 best backs in Ireland that day and we still would have been trashed with volume of ball we needlessly turned over. They are not free of blame either

One of the lads at work was saying that Conor Devanney has retired from the inter county scene. Anyone hear similar?
    Would be really disappointing news if true. Still has lots to offer. Very cool in possession and great man to deliver a kick pass just the way the inside forwards want it. Always good for a score too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

One of the lads at work was saying that Conor Devanney has retired from the inter county scene. Anyone hear similar?
    Would be really disappointing news if true. Still has lots to offer. Very cool in possession and great man to deliver a kick pass just the way the inside forwards want it. Always good for a score too.

Class player. Probably my favourite Roscommon player. Always played well any time I have seen Roscommon live.

Advertisement