Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I see the win a home fundraiser website has gone live now.
    Hopefully it is a massive success ,money will go a long way to implementing the improvements that the CB agreed to with Connacht Council for the Hyde.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

FFS - it doesn't look good for the county if they can't sell tickets to win a house in Roscommon!
    That's embarrassing.
    The website doesn't appear to be live yet.
    https://m.facebook.com/winahouseindublin

Addle wrote: »
    FFS - it doesn't look good for the county if they can't sell tickets to win a house in Roscommon!
    That's embarrassing.
    The website doesn't appear to be live yet.
    https://m.facebook.com/winahouseindublin

Whats embarrassing about it ?

If you knew the circumstances surrounding having that house you would know why it's in Dublin.
    They will sell several thousand more tickets for a house in Dublin than they could ever hope for in Roscommon.

The website is live

https://winahouseindublin.com/

Just that it adds credence to the belief of some that there's no value to living in Roscommon. Property value anyways I guess.
    It's obvious who the house is sponsored by-fair play-very generous.
    Only 15k tickets for sale.
    I've bought one already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I have never seen Dublin having to raffle off a house for funds, cause they have a huge revenue stream from sponsors

Best of luck to the sellers

• Advertisement

Its simple economics, they will sell thousands more tickets for a home in Dublin therefore make a lot more money.

I see nothing wrong with it tbh

15k is probably about right, have to cap it otherwise the it's not as attractive to entrants. I doubt They will sell the full 15k but over 10k is a great boost to the coffers.

its the same as a couple of months lotto entry and with the amount of people desperate for their own house in Dublin, I can't see them having any trouble selling all the tickets.

better chance of winning the house than any lotto ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Odds of winning a 4 + Bonus number in the Irish Lotto is 14,700/1, so the same odds give or take.

That gets you €100-150 most days. For €2 a line.

Or €425,000 for €100 a line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

KevRossi wrote:
    Or €425,000 for €100 a line.

That's not how probabilities work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

How did they acquire the house?

A generous benefactor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

One of the county's 2 main backers is in the building game and it's his development.

I like the idea, it's about the only one I can think of where you're likely to sell more tickets to people outside of the county than within.

One of the county's 2 main backers is in the building game and it's his development.

I like the idea, it's about the only one I can think of where you're likely to sell more tickets to people outside of the county than within.

The majority will be sold outside the county, I'd expect less than a third from Roscommon county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Hearing rumours that Mick Bohan is the person the county board have earmarked for the senior job. Bohan is current manager of Dublin ladies team, was coach of Clare senior footballers and coach during Dublin under 21 side that won the 2010 and 12 All Ireland's.

Seeing as most of the Roscommon squad are based in Dublin it would make financial sense at least to have them train in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

PISS OFF ROSCOMMON. YOU CAN'T HAVE HIM ! :mad: :mad: :mad:

(No offence.)

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Hearing rumours that Mick Bohan is the person the county board have earmarked for the senior job. Bohan is current manager of Dublin ladies team, was coach of Clare senior footballers and coach during Dublin under 21 side that won the 2010 and 12 All Ireland's.

Seeing as most of the Roscommon squad are based in Dublin it would make financial sense at least to have them train in Dublin.

Roscommon will be training in Kiltoom no matter who the manager is .There is a 3 year agreement in place, this upcoming season is the 2nd year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

yabadabado wrote: »
    Roscommon will be training in Kiltoom no matter who the manager is .There is a 3 year agreement in place, this upcoming season is the 2nd year.

The builder might pay them off!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

That agreement probably carry's as much weight as McStay staying on until 2020 had.

That agreement probably carry's as much weight as McStay staying on until 2020 had.

Maybe so but it makes sense to keep it on instead of constantly looking for places to train.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Maybe so but it makes sense to keep it on instead of constantly looking for places to train.

It was said recently every time Roscommon brought players down from Dublin for a training session it cost €1,000 for taxis alone. It would make more sense to hold a few sessions in Dublin and save money.

It was said recently every time Roscommon brought players down from Dublin for a training session it cost €1,000 for taxis alone. It would make more sense to hold a few sessions in Dublin and save money.

They do hold some sessions up there for Dublin based lads.

What money would they save?
    Still going to rent a place to train and players/staff who arent Dublin based will have to be transported up and back.

I can't see much if any savings .

Kiltoom is the best option imo and if Runabracken is built all teams will use that as a base.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Kiltoom is the best option imo and if Rathbrennan is built all teams will use that as a base.

Where is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

cuculainn wrote: »
    Where is this?

A few miles outside Roscommon on the Oran side.

cuculainn wrote: »
    Where is this?

It's Runabracken, don't know why I had Rathbrennan in my head.

Its about 10 miles outside Roscommon Town ,on a side road off the N60.

Mess of a project so far but hopefully it gets done to a good level.It was a fairly ambitious plan to start with.

There are only a handful of players currently based in Roscommon so bringing them to Dublin instead of transporting the majority of players down to Roscommon couple of times a week would likely save money.

The fact that at least one high profile name has questioned his future at intercounty level to concentrate on his work and club career in Dublin probably played alot into deciding to go for a Dublin based manager.

It's Runabracken, don't know why I had Rathbrennan in my head.

Its about 10 miles outside Roscommon Town ,on a side road off the N60.

Mess of a project so far but hopefully it gets done to a good level.It was a fairly ambitious plan to start with.
    They should sell it and look for land out in knockcroghery/lecarrow lecarrowor Roscommon town area.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    They should sell it and look for land out in knockcroghery/lecarrow lecarrowor Roscommon town area.

Too much money sent on it now.Between the initial cost and legal action ,can't see anyway they can sell it without making a massive loss.

Be very difficult to find/buy the land needed in the areas you mentioned and They would also cost a fortune.
    Runabracken is about 45 acres ,guessing here but would there be any change out of 400k for that size ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rn

Dream county final in Roscommon. The up and coming clann team v the dominant St. Brigids team of the last 20 years.

• Advertisement

Donie Shine was star man yesterday. New manager would have to be looking at bringing him back into county fold one would think, still only 29 too.

Advertisement