Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Doniekp

rn wrote: »
    Dream county final in Roscommon. The up and coming clann team v the dominant St. Brigids team of the last 20 years.

There will be no love lost between the two teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

rn wrote: »
    Dream county final in Roscommon. The up and coming clann team v the dominant St. Brigids team of the last 20 years.
    I doubt north Roscommon would ever dream about that final.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

I doubt north Roscommon would ever dream about that final.

Probably not. But until a team from North Roscommon get to a final its a good as its going to get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

It's the clash of The Big Two as far as Roscommon club football goes right now. Probably won't stir up much excitement in the north of the county, but it's a pretty novel pairing insofar as they haven't contested a final since 1997.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It's the clash of The Big Two as far as Roscommon club football goes right now. Probably won't stir up much excitement in the north of the county, but it's a pretty novel pairing insofar as they haven't contested a final since 1997.

ushered in the decline of Clann and the ascendancy of Brigids

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    ushered in the decline of Clann and the ascendancy of Brigids

Yeah, it was like a watershed moment, that day.

I wonder is there is any hope of this being shown on TG4. Can't see it happening, with the Cork hurling final being on the same day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Yeah, it was like a watershed moment, that day.

I wonder is there is any hope of this being shown on TG4. Can't see it happening, with the Cork hurling final being on the same day.
    Why not? As attractive a tie as will be on that day. Its only a matter of different starting times or at worse delayed transmission

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Anyone know how ticket sales for the house are going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Addle wrote: »
    Anyone know how ticket sales for the house are going?

over 3000 sold .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Any word of a new manager yet?.. it's all so quiet on that front. Nominations closed awhile ago now and still no word.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

blazermel wrote: »
    Any word of a new manager yet?.. it's all so quiet on that front. Nominations closed awhile ago now and still no word.

Looks like it's going to be Nigel Dineen.

Shane Curran pulled out last week and Mick Bohan looks to be staying in his current position.

Yeah looking like Dineen with Casey as assistant.

if anyone was at the club games the last few weeks, nearly every team had a better defensive structure and organisation than our county team had.
    most games were low scoring and tight games, the sort of games we could only dream of at county level

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

if anyone was at the club games the last few weeks, nearly every team had a better defensive structure and organisation than our county team had.
    most games were low scoring and tight games, the sort of games we could only dream of at county level

McStay recent comments on defensive football.
    the prospect of adopting a more defensive style in a bid to stay with the elite counties was an anathema to the outgoing manager.

“There will be a defensive coach [in Roscommon], I’ve no doubt that will happen but that means you’re coaching that guy three nights a week for the next two or three years to get it well bedded in and, personally, it just wouldn’t be my philosophy.

“My generation and fellas older than me – 55 to 65 – guys who have followed the game or played the game are finding it increasingly hard to go and watch the game. That’s just the way it is. I’m contracted to go and watch it, for TV or newspapers; of course, I go and watch it, but I often wondered: ‘Would I go to watch it if I wasn’t working?’”

All the top teams have good defensive structure and organisation it was McStays biggest downfall with Roscommon that he didn't and he seems to be a fella that was stuck in a generation of trying to get by with a poor defence but I can't ever recall any team becoming an established top 6 without having a good defence.

It's not even about being a defensive team but having proper defensive plans and structures in place.
    McStay apparently was against this even though players wanted it and had iscussed with the management team .

yabadabado wrote: »
    It's not even about being a defensive team but having proper defensive plans and structures in place.
    McStay apparently was against this even though players wanted it and had iscussed with the management team .

even the most attacking team in soccer or rugby are still reliant on being miserly in defence

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Looks like it's going to be Nigel Dineen.

Shane Curran pulled out last week and Mick Bohan looks to be staying in his current position.

Have to say there's nothing about that potential appointment that excites me!

Have to say there's nothing about that potential appointment that excites me!

I think he deserves a chance to see what he can do at senior level. He knows the players having been manager of the under 21s between 2012-14. He got Roscommon to two under 21 finals during that period playing an attacking brand of football. They were only beaten by Dublin in those two finals...Dublin sides containing 6 of the starters in this year's All-Ireland final vs Tyrone and another 2 who came on as sub during that match.

It's a tough job regardless who takes it. There are rumours that Ciaran Murtagh, Cathal Compton, Tadhg O Rourke, John Mc Manus and Fintan Cregg are leaving for work/travel reasons so won't be available in 2019. Talk that Domican, Cathal Cregg and Devaney will retire from intercounty and that Diarmuid Murtagh has been told he will need to take a full year off to recover from the eye injury he suffered in the super 8 match vs Dublin.

Next Roscommon manager is on a hiding to nothing. McStay knew that which is why he stepped down. Nobody in the country even the most hardened Roscommon fans expect them to stay in Division 1 and they are overdue Mayo/Galway in the early rounds of Connacht...both those will be away.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I think he deserves a chance to see what he can do at senior level. He knows the players having been manager of the under 21s between 2012-14. He got Roscommon to two under 21 finals during that period playing an attacking brand of football. They were only beaten by Dublin in those two finals...Dublin sides containing 6 of the starters in this year's All-Ireland final vs Tyrone and another 2 who came on as sub during that match.

It's a tough job regardless who takes it. There are rumours that Ciaran Murtagh, Cathal Compton, Tadhg O Rourke, John Mc Manus and Fintan Cregg are leaving for work/travel reasons so won't be available in 2019. Talk that Domican, Cathal Cregg and Devaney will retire from intercounty and that Diarmuid Murtagh has been told he will need to take a full year off to recover from the eye injury he suffered in the super 8 match vs Dublin.

Next Roscommon manager is on a hiding to nothing. McStay knew that which is why he stepped down. Nobody in the country even the most hardened Roscommon fans expect them to stay in Division 1 and they are overdue Mayo/Galway in the early rounds of Connacht...both those will be away.

We seem to be in a constant period of "rebuilding " . The number of players lost year on year isn't sustainable for a county of our size. The next few years could be tough.

We seem to be in a constant period of "rebuilding " . The number of players lost year on year isn't sustainable for a county of our size. The next few years could be tough.
    The only counties that aren't forever rebuilding is Tyrone,Kerry,Mayo,Monaghan,Galway,Dublin and is it any wonder they happen to be the top 6 teams. Monaghan especially is a example to Roscommon, they stick with their panel,structure and system of play make little changes to their starting teams and from that stability they have reaped the benefits.

• Advertisement

Doesn't help that 20+ players work or study in Dublin...
    We've no training centre
    No gym for S&C
    No money

Third world GAA problems

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

We've no training centre
    No gym for S&C
    No money

Third world GAA problems

A good number of the Mayo panel are in Dublin and have a coach in place to train their those Dublin based players, something Roscommon should copy with the next manager?

The have no training centre either (in the process of building one in Castlebar)

Money wise probably comes more from their donors behind the scenes than their county board. S&C wise Roscommon are miles off the top teams McStay remarked it's culture problem and will things change with the next manager as it seems the panel will be much changed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

We've no training centre
    No gym for S&C
    No money

Third world GAA problems

But we do have a BUS!

We've no training centre
    No gym for S&C
    No money

Third world GAA problems

Plenty of the panel did train in Dublin,similar to ther counties.Not sure how often/regualr this was.

Once a S&C plan is set in place,cant players use whatever gym is convienant for them ?Its not ideal but once lads are serious about I dont see an issue.

Kiltoom was the training centre last year and will continue to be if the new manager wants it.I dont see why they wouldnt.Its going to be a long time before the training centre is built,thats if it ever is to any close to the plans.

rosknight wrote: »
    But we do have a BUS!

Don't own the bus. Sponsors chip in for the lease of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Serious rumours doing the rounds about Eamon O'Hara. Anyone confirm anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Serious?! That would be hilarious.

According to the Irish examiner former Clann na nGael and Ballymun manager Paul Curran is mentioned as a possibility to replace McStay.

Whole thing is a complete mess at this stage. Apparently they wasted so much time chasing after Bohan that the other candidates threw in the towel and Bohan ended up rejecting the job anyway.

Roscommon county board as usual showing themselves to be completely incompetent.

• Advertisement

According to the Irish examiner former Clann na nGael and Ballymun manager Paul Curran is mentioned as a possibility to replace McStay.

Read that article.
    See no reason why Curran would get that job.He may have been manager when Clann won the county final but was lucky to win it.Plenty of things fell into place that year and most Clann fans would think similar.

Ros seem to be having a hard time of filling the position and looking likely it will be an outsider mercenary when a few local lads would be as capable.

Advertisement