Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    what games were you watching?
    the defence has disimproved alarmingly since the first few rounds of the league
    we've no midfield, O'Malley has better kickouts but has no presence in the goals under a high ball so Lavin with his garryowen kickouts is being used.
    our backs cannot actually mark 1 v 1 without fouling. our indiscipline has let us down all through the league with frees being moved forward and of course the Tyrone incident.
    when we do win the ball back, we've nobody up the field to kick pass the ball to, and we don't have enough players with an engine to get up from defence for 45+ minutes.
    our attack created so many goal chances in the first few games and were unable to take them which seems to be the reoccuring theme of this panel

watched the games against , mayo dublin and tyrone , to be fair ye were very competitive in all 3, very close to winning 2 of them , didnt see the likes of the galway or cavan games though both should be seen as winnable games ,conceding 4-29 in them 2 games is probably unforgivable alright

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

I think some fellas in here are on drugs if they think that was a good league, we got worse as the games went by and too many fella trying to be the hard men getting stupid black cards,

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭flandabieduzie

Absolutely underwhelmed with the new management. If McStay had been at the helm of this league he would have been ran like a dog.... It amazes me the narrative the media can create and how it becomes the consensus thereafter. I suppose we were lucky that anybody actually wanted to fulfill the role in the first place.
    I don't know what the solution is but to be unable to motivate players for the "winnable / target games" of this campaign is worrying.
    Perhaps hydings in Croke Park have left bigger scars that may not be as easily healed as a change in management personnel.
    It seems like a plaster covering a bigger issue which is probably the gulf in the class at the top of the game and how far we are in reality from it.

Highlight of the weekends game was Conor Devannys player profile in the programme.

Sorry for being so cynical on a Tuesday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Absolutely underwhelmed with the new management. If McStay had been at the helm of this league he would have been ran like a dog.... It amazes me the narrative the media can create and how it becomes the consensus thereafter. I suppose we were lucky that anybody actually wanted to fulfill the role in the first place.
    I don't know what the solution is but to be unable to motivate players for the "winnable / target games" of this campaign is worrying.
    Perhaps hydings in Croke Park have left bigger scars that may not be as easily healed as a change in management personnel.
    It seems like a plaster covering a bigger issue which is probably the gulf in the class at the top of the game and how far we are in reality from it.

Highlight of the weekends game was Conor Devannys player profile in the programme.

Sorry for being so cynical on a Tuesday night.

McStay in 2017 as outright manager had Roscommon relegated from Div 1 with one game to spare and wasn't ran for it. He left his role earlier than expected when he knew a number of last years championship team wouldn't be around this year and were odds on for relegation this spring for a reason.

I would say the highlight of the week for Roscommon would be getting Diarmuid Murtagh back in action after a serious eye injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

here's a few players who Roscommon didn't have in this league

Ciaran Murtagh,Brian Stack,Padraig Kelly,Finbar Cregg, John McManus, Niall McInerney; ,Peter Domican,Sean McDermott,Ross Timothy,Ronan Stack,Cathal Compton, Fintan Cregg;Fergal Lennon,Ian Kilbride, Dara Pettit, Diarmuid Murtagh (until final game), Mullooly for first few games

What county could lose that many players and be competitive?
    firstly the captain and freetaker from the last year and the biggest scoring threat
    our best midfielder in Compton and our best back in McInerney

if you took Rock, Flynn and Cooper off the Dublin team would they be competitive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

McStay wouldnt have been ran after that league. Frankly if you expected us to stay up before the league started and are that upset over going down with Losing 60% per cent of last years panel, A late management appointment and the hammerings we took last July your a Fooking Ejit who hasnt a clue. Anyone with half a brain was realistic and realised we faced a mighty challenge to stay up factoring in all of the above. We faded badly towards end of league which is disappointing. Picked up more points than i expected. A work in progress hopefully

McStay wouldnt have been ran after that league. Frankly if you expected us to stay up before the league started and are that upset over going down with Losing 60% per cent of last years panel, A late management appointment and the hammerings we took last July your a Fooking Ejit who hasnt a clue. Anyone with half a brain was realistic and realised we faced a mighty challenge to stay up factoring in all of the above. We faded badly towards end of league which is disappointing. Picked up more points than i expected. A work in progress hopefully

True
    But I thought we had the hard work done in getting three points and we'd get another win v Galway or Cavan

True
    But I thought we had the hard work done in getting three points and we'd get another win v Galway or Cavan

how did you think we would beat the galways, do you watch any football at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Tom with his usual nonsense posts.

Never has anything to back up his posts I've found. Why wouldn't we beat Galway or Cavan? Both should have been wins but the team just fell to pieces at the end of the games.

We were unlucky not to stay up, but staying up never looked likely given all the absentees.

how did you think we would beat the galways, do you watch any football at all

based on our first three games, I would have thought we'd be in with a great chance. especially given our recent record v Cavan.
    our levels of performance fell away alarmingly

• Advertisement

RossieMan wrote: »
    Tom with his usual nonsense posts.

Never has anything to back up his posts I've found. Why wouldn't we beat Galway or Cavan? Both should have been wins but the team just fell to pieces at the end of the games.

We were unlucky not to stay up, but staying up never looked likely given all the absentees.

I'll keep it easy for you, last year Galway won connacht, did well in the super 8s and got to the All Ireland semi. We bet 2 4th division teams and were the laughing stock of the country in the super 8s, and you still think we should be beating Galway even if we are missing 5 or 6 of last years panel and with an Injured diarmuid

based on our first three games, I would have thought we'd be in with a great chance. especially given our recent record v Cavan.
    our levels of performance fell away alarmingly

i agree with you that we looked solid in the first 3 games and then it all went a stray, id expect us to be beating cavan too

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

We're down now and the League is history.
    The Cavan game was an unmitigated disaster as we went from a hard working organised team to a lazy disorganised rabble in 2 weeks.
    Can management identify why and rectify before 12th May?

I'll keep it easy for you, last year Galway won connacht, did well in the super 8s and got to the All Ireland semi. We bet 2 4th division teams and were the laughing stock of the country in the super 8s, and you still think we should be beating Galway even if we are missing 5 or 6 of last years panel and with an Injured diarmuid

1 4th Div team. The other was Armagh who were promoted to Div 2 and managed to stay up there this year. Roscommon beat Monaghan in this league who finished ahead of Galway in their super 8 group which included a comfortable win in Salthill.

1 4th Div team. The other was Armagh who were promoted to Div 2 and managed to stay up there this year. Roscommon beat Monaghan in this league who finished ahead of Galway in their super 8 group which included a comfortable win in Salthill.

And we should have beaten all Ireland finalist Tyrone

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Was at the Clann v Glaveys game Sunday. Decent game of ball but Clann were fairly comfortable. Ultan Harney by far best player on show. Ciaran Lennon also was decent. Heneghan and Glennon were Glaveys best players in a day forwards came out on top. 1-19 to 3-9
    Glennon scored all three goals for Glavey last one deep into injury time.
    Clann v Brigids tomorrow night.

Anyone else attend any club games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Well done to Roscommon CBS winning schools final with last kick of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Fantastic victory.
    Delighted for them and all their successes this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Well done to Roscommon CBS winning schools final with last kick of the game.

Fantastic score to win it as well.

If Minor was still U18 a good number of that CBS team would be playing for Roscommon this summer but they can't now because they would be overage and probably deemed to young for U20. Was it wise to change minor to U17?

Anyway Congrats to CBS school on winning that All Ireland this afternoon.

• Advertisement

Well done to the cbs, great to have young fellas winning titles, why were they in the b competition

Well done to the cbs, great to have young fellas winning titles, why were they in the b competition

Because CBS Roscommon is a small school and would not have the pick of bigger schools in Connacht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Well that was a whole lot closer than it should have been.
    Absolutely delighted to see Roscommon players win on the big stage, but if they lost that they'd spend the rest of their lives regretting it.

The backs (especially full back line) were very good throughout - some excellent defending - but the forwards just couldn't hold onto the ball. Kept losing it really cheaply. The big occasion really seemed to get to them for most of the first half and the final 10-15 minutes. I suppose we forget they're only kids 16-18 years of age, so you can expect anything.

The kickouts were mopped up by the Kerry lads, until that excellent period after halftime, when CBS played like they can and went from 3 points down to 6 points up in what seemed like the blink of an eye. But they seemed to settle on defending the lead instead of adding to it and nearly paid the price.

Anyway, I shouldn't be nitpicking as it's great to see Roscommon people winning All-Irelands. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

Well done lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

I believe that this team would have gone very close to winning a Hogan Cup.

It appears from reading the local press that the team had a choice of A or B and choose B.

rosknight wrote: »
    I believe that this team would have gone very close to winning a Hogan Cup.

It appears from reading the local press that the team had a choice of A or B and choose B.

There are only 350 approx in the school
    Which is half the size of some schools in the A

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

I do believe it is a similar size school as the A Connacht Final winners so don't know why you arguing that point. Just googled them:

St Colman's College is an all-boys Catholic secondary school in Claremorris, County Mayo. Approximately 400 pupils attend.

Don't get me wrong, I am not belittling their win. I just believe that they could have gone a long way in A but the team themselves choose the B option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Worked out alright for them if you ask me.
    ðŸ˜

rosknight wrote: »
    I do believe it is a similar size school as the A Connacht Final winners so don't know why you arguing that point. Just googled them:

St Colman's College is an all-boys Catholic secondary school in Claremorris, County Mayo. Approximately 400 pupils attend.

Don't get me wrong, I am not belittling their win. I just believe that they could have gone a long way in A but the team themselves choose the B option.

strange that the cbs entered the b competition, was there any ros teams in the a

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

If CBS played in the A section I think a Connacht title at best would be won. I can imagine when the choice was made eyes was on All Ireland title and I think the right choice was made there.

Advertisement