Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭franglan

vid36 wrote: »
    Will Conor Cox stay ?

Where would he be going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

vid36 wrote: »
    Will Conor Cox stay ?

He is working full time in Carrick on Shannon and looking to move to Éire Óg club so would say yes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

rossie1977 wrote: »
    He is working full time in Carrick on Shannon and looking to move to Éire Óg club so would say yes

is he teaching?

Blanco100 wrote: »
    is he teaching?

Project manager for a software company

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭vid36

If Kerry offer him a spot on the panel, he might be tempted and I don't think anyone could blame him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

vid36 wrote:
    If Kerry offer him a spot on the panel, he might be tempted and I don't think anyone could blame him.
    I'd say he's delighted with how things went this year, no interviews I read from him, or anything I read from Kerry people would make me think either side wants to change the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Intermediate club full backs will be delighted with that news!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Can somebody tell me: who refereed the All-Ireland Senior Football final 1980, Kerry v. Roscommon?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

feargale wrote: »
    Can somebody tell me: who refereed the All-Ireland Senior Football final 1980, Kerry v. Roscommon?
    Thanks.
    Séamus Murray Monaghan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

2 free tickets to club games this weekend up for grabs with Ros GAA on twitter.

https://twitter.com/RoscommonGAA

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rianmcn

How do we think the 2nd round of games will go this weekend?

Senior
    Group A:
    Brigids v Fuerty
    St Croans v Elphin

Group B:
    Faithleachs v Roscommon Gaels
    Glaveys v Strokestown

Group C:
    Clann v Boyle
    Western Gaels v Pearses

Intermediate
    Group A:
    Kilglass Gaels v Creggs
    Kilbride v Tulsk

Group B:
    Castlerea v Eire Og
    St Barrys v Shannon Gaels

Group C:
    Oran v St Dominics
    St Aidans v Kilmore

Junior
    Group A:
    Brigids B vs Pearses B
    Ros Gaels B vs Castlerea B

Group B:
    St Josephs vs St Faithleachs B
    Ballinameen vs St Domincs B

Group C:
    Clann B vs Western Gaels B
    St Michaels vs St Ronans

rianmcn wrote: »
    How do we think the 2nd round of games will go this weekend?

Senior
    Group A:
    Brigids v Fuerty
    St Croans v Elphin

Group B:
    Faithleachs v Roscommon Gaels
    Glaveys v Strokestown

Group C:
    Clann v Boyle
    Western Gaels v Pearses

Intermediate
    Group A:
    Kilglass Gaels v Creggs
    Kilbride v Tulsk

Group B:
    Castlerea v Eire Og
    St Barrys v Shannon Gaels

Group C:
    Oran v St Dominics
    St Aidans v Kilmore

Junior
    Group A:
    Brigids B vs Pearses B
    Ros Gaels B vs Castlerea B

Group B:
    St Josephs vs St Faithleachs B
    Ballinameen vs St Domincs B

Group C:
    Clann B vs Western Gaels B
    St Michaels vs St Ronans

It's probably the most open senior championship in a long time. Great chance for Pearses or Western Gaels to end their long wait for the title.

Some result for Fuerty last night - should have won it by all accounts! Brigids needing a win on their home turf too. I know Pearses have a tough group but they now have the likes of Carey and D'Arcy up front to get scores. Very few clubs in the country have defenders of the standard of the Daly's and Davy Murrary. On paper I'd say them as favourites.

Boyle beating county champions Clann na nGael by 21 points today

Clann have completely collapsed since winning championship last year it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rn

Boyle beating county champions Clann na nGael by 21 points today

Clann have completely collapsed since winning championship last year it seems.
    Ya the brigids result was the shock of the weekend last weekend. And nearly followed it up this week against fuerty, but clann came in to save their blushes. Clann first team in the relegation hat tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Roscommon Gaels best St Faithleachs this evening.

0-17 to 2-07.

Gaels were the much better team.

Ref gave a very dodgy penalty when to Faithleachs when he and the play were in midfield.

Gaels missed two goal chances, one off the post and hit two point attempts off the post.

Was only there for Gaels game

Couldn’t get over the score in the Boyle vs Clann game.
    2-26 to 1-9.

Roscommon Gaels best St Faithleachs this evening.

0-17 to 2-07.

Gaels were the much better team.

Ref gave a very dodgy penalty when to Faithleachs when he and the play were in midfield.

Gaels missed two goal chances, one off the post and hit two point attempts off the post.

Was only there for Gaels game

Couldn’t get over the score in the Boyle vs Clann game.
    2-26 to 1-9.

Donie Smith seemingly scored 1-15!!

I see our county board have made the Under 20 position available to the general public. Is that a first in gaelic football?

They couldn't get anyone to agree to manage one of the most talented squads of young players in the country (next year's u20s will comprise mostly of the players that reached the u17 all ireland final in August 2017).

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

We need some kind of continuity between the U17, U20 and Senior.
    I'd suggest one of the Senior backroom be also part of the U20 backroom and likewise with another of the U20 part of U17.
    Ans our excellent 2019 S&C man be involved with the 2 ubdrrage squads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I see our county board have made the Under 20 position available to the general public. Is that a first in gaelic football?

They couldn't get anyone to agree to manage one of the most talented squads of young players in the country (next year's u20s will comprise mostly of the players that reached the u17 all ireland final in August 2017).

They are just looking for expressions of interest before narrowing it down to shortlist
    Interesting way to choose a manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

pure daft,

Ciarán Murtagh apparently badly injured upon his return to Gaelic football today in Faithleachs club game. Reading reports its knee injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

So the Big Two have been kept apart again - Roscommon and Galway. On their way to a fifth Connacht Final meeting in a row :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Well done to Pearses on ending the wait. I'd say they were beginning to think it would never happen.

In other news, and many of ye have probably already seen this, but I saw a provisional fixture list for the league;

Sunday, 26/1 Laois (H)
    Sunday, 2/2 Fermanagh (A)
    Sunday, 9/2 Clare (H)
    Sunday, 23/2 Kildare (A)
    Sunday, 1/3 Westmeath (H)
    Sunday, 15/3 Armagh (A)
    Sunday, 22/3 Cavan (A)

IF those are correct, it could hardly have worked out much tougher. Four away games to probably the strongest of our D2 opposition. We definitely need to be winning all of our home games for a start if we are to be in with a shout of promotion.

Confirmed fixtures and times;

Sunday, 26/1 Laois (H), 2pm
    Sunday, 2/2 Fermanagh (A), 2pm
    Sunday, 9/2 Clare (H), 2pm
    Sunday, 23/2 Kildare (A), 2:30pm
    Sunday, 1/3 Westmeath (H), 2pm
    Saturday, 14/3 Armagh (A), 6.30pm
    Sunday, 22/3 Cavan (A), 2pm

All home games are slated for the Hyde.

You werent wrong Dr. Ken! Anyone hear squad details so far?

We need strong tests in the league to prepare for the championship. 2 years ago the quality in division 2 was really poor and every team including Roscommon suffered in the championship because of it.

Personally looking forward to visiting certain towns I have never been before like Enniskillen, Armagh outside passing through decades ago.
    franglan wrote: »
    You werent wrong Dr. Ken! Anyone hear squad details so far?

Both Murtaghs won't be available next season which is big blow but we do have quite a few forwards to choose from.

Cian McKeon and Andrew Glennon both need to show what they can do at this level next year. Brian Derwin is another who has a chance to breakout at senior next year. I know Peter Gillooly has been training with senior panel but at 19 it's a bit too early for him and Paul Carey yet I feel although Carey has looked great in the Roscommon and Connacht championship these past few weeks. Gave Kieran Molloy all sorts of trouble when he ran at him Sunday.

Darren O Malley is working in Dubai next year and Lavin/Fetherstone have not made themselves available for selection so we will have brand new goalkeepers. Looks like Aaron Brady of Elphin will be first choice at least with maybe Ronan O Reilly ex Clann as backup.

Niall McInerney is back training and with Mullooly out with long term injury it comes at welcome time.

Fintan Cregg looks like he has called it a day at intercounty, Cathal Cregg sticking around for another year at least.

Cathal Compton is back training with panel, his brother Colin isn't.

Ronan Carolan, ex Mayo underage player and current Roscommon Gaels player has also been training with panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

We need strong tests in the league to prepare for the championship. 2 years ago the quality in division 2 was really poor and every team including Roscommon suffered in the championship because of it.

Personally looking forward to visiting certain towns I have never been before like Enniskillen, Armagh outside passing through decades ago.

Both Murtaghs won't be available next season which is big blow but we do have quite a few forwards to choose from.

Cian McKeon and Andrew Glennon both need to show what they can do at this level next year. Brian Derwin is another who has a chance to breakout at senior next year. I know Peter Gillooly has been training with senior panel but at 19 it's a bit too early for him and Paul Carey yet I feel although Carey has looked great in the Roscommon and Connacht championship these past few weeks. Gave Kieran Molloy all sorts of trouble when he ran at him Sunday.

Darren O Malley is working in Dubai next year and Lavin/Fetherstone have not made themselves available for selection so we will have brand new goalkeepers. Looks like Aaron Brady of Elphin will be first choice at least with maybe Ronan O Reilly ex Clann as backup.

Niall McInerney is back training and with Mullooly out with long term injury it comes at welcome time.

Fintan Cregg looks like he has called it a day at intercounty, Cathal Cregg sticking around for another year at least.

Cathal Compton is back training with panel, his brother Colin isn't.

Ronan Carolan, ex Mayo underage player and current Roscommon Gaels player has also been training with panel

Cathal Compton is not back yet but he is expected to be back in December.

Devanney, Harney, Mullooly and Heneghan all out with long term injuries.

Advertisement