Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

Conor Daky said to be training anyway.
    Glennon the only one definitely out I hear.
    50/50 game with all to play for.....if only we could be there.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Expectation and Roscommon never go hand in hand so here's hoping that changes today and they leave it all on the field.

I don't have the same feeling of dread looking at the Mayo midfield and half back line as I would have had in previous years and it's probably the most evenly match game between the 2 in a long number of years.

Best of luck lads!

Shannonside about seven seconds ahead. Can't listen to Willie so - spoiler :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

Shannonside about seven seconds ahead. Can't listen to Willie so - spoiler :pac:

The Shannonside coverage is brutal; Longford and Laois are centrestage?? WTF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

I thought these type almost beaten by half time performances were behind us. Very fortunate that Mayo haven't killed the game already and even at that it's hard to see any way back for us now.
    Difference between the teams summed up in the running game. Mayo half back flying flying at us and breaking the line while we are so utterly stagnant. Seem almost taken by surprise by the intensity Mayo have brought to the game.

Why aren't we putting Clarke under pressure on his kick outs?!

• Advertisement

And the wind lightening - not much help for second half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

That was seriously disappointing.

Roscommon were so slow, slow, slow. So ponderous in possession, lacking any urgency or intensity. The pace they played at simply was not good enough.

The inability of those in the middle third to stop Mayo's runners coming through the middle was truly awful. That has been a problem for a lot of years and hasn't been addressed against the better teams.

The worst thing is, I didn't really think Mayo were anything special, just good and solid. As Colm O'Rourke said, they coasted for most of the second half, knowing Roscommon weren't really threatening them.

Lots of other stuff, but just too pissed off to talk about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Rotten bad, they didnt put a glove on the mayo fellas, I think all the hype and all the fellas writing off mayo went to their heads, we always choke when we are the favourites

Awful awful non performance.
    I presume all the sideways backwards sh1te is on the instructions of management?
    And lads kicking balls backwards and us 6 or 8 points down....

But the lack of intensity at the sight of Mayo jerseys was inexcusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Rossvet wrote: »
    Awful awful non performance.
    I presume all the sideways backwards sh1te is on the instructions of management?
    And lads kicking balls backwards and us 6 or 8 points down....

But the lack of intensity at the sight of Mayo jerseys was inexcusable.
    So disappointing considering how Ros laid into them last year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Whatever about the lack of intensity, that's on the players imo.

The gameplan just smacked of pure naivety. The sorta stuff that we saw under McStay.

How do you decide on playing against the wind in the first half and then not setup defensively with the aim to keep things tight till the second half. It's mind boggling.

The only positive was the fullback line did alright considering they were bereft of any defensive support for the majority of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Suckler

How do you decide on playing against the wind in the first half and then not setup defensively with the aim to keep things tight till the second half. It's mind boggling.

Couldn't fathom that one myself, especially in a November championship. Had it been a dry May/June day you could have energy levels required to climb a mountain in a second half with a slight enough breeze. Giving yourself a challenge like that after a year of stop/start training and games was wrong in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Rotten bad, they didnt put a glove on the mayo fellas, I think all the hype and all the fellas writing off mayo went to their heads, we always choke when we are the favourites

Mayo were far from written off, they were hot favourites to win that game today and proved why they were. Roscommon never got out of Div 2 mode, playing in Div 1 next year should bring improvement.
    Suckler wrote: »
    Couldn't fathom that one myself, especially in a November championship. Had it been a dry May/June day you could have energy levels required to climb a mountain in a second half with a slight enough breeze. Giving yourself a challenge like that after a year of stop/start training and games was wrong in my opinion.
    How much of advantage was the wind really? I wouldn't pay much attention to Dessie Dolan.. Mayo scored more or less the same with or without the wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Mayo were far from written off, they were hot favourites to win that game today and proved why they were. Roscommon never got out of Div 2 mode, playing in Div 1 next year should bring improvement.

How much of advantage was the wind really? I wouldn't pay much attention to Dessie Dolan.. Mayo scored more or less the same with or without the wind.

There was feck all wind yesterday

Roscommon were not well drilled and mayo had their homework done on the Ros keeper.
    They also managed to slow down or disrupt every free or mark won by a Roscommon player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Annoying all right how there seemed a certain amount of naivety around the game plan and just the general lack of cuteness that the Mayo lads seemed to have. That Roscommon team on paper is well experienced and the majority of the panel as a whole has been playing senior county for a few years now, including Division 1 and Super 8 football. I can take losing the game, but to go out with barely a whimper was galling, especially against a team with a fair few fresh faces.

As an aside, when is the last time we won a big championship game in the Hyde? 2012 v Armagh is the last one I can think of, and that was a Round 1 qualifier iirc. We seem to do our best work away from home. We just haven't turned up in the last few home games against Mayo, Galway and Tyrone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭tanko

The standard of football in Division 2 this year was woeful. I know Roscommon could only beat what was in front of them but playing far better teams in the league stood to Mayo i think.

No coincidence that our last 2 Connacht wins followed being in Division 1 in the Spring (even though relegated)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Connacht Minor Champions!

Our 15th title and first since 2012.

An unusual, but welcome way to end the year. Insane conditions, but a wins a win. We were the better team, no question.

Today is also St. Coman's Day, so that's a nice way to tie things up.

EqLx7OwXMAIlEme?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Fantastic win, conditions were terrible but Roscommon played fantastically well against the wind in second half.

Where referees get all the injury time in GAA is beyond me. 8 minutes or the equivalent of 12 minutes added on in soccer despite no major stoppage of play.

One other thing to point out it's great pity Roscommon's Connacht title win at under 17 level in 2017 has been all but wiped from memory now it seems by the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

rossie1977 wrote: »
    One other thing to point out it's great pity Roscommon's Connacht title win at under 17 level in 2017 has been all but wiped from memory now it seems by the media.
    A bit odd when you consider minor is now U17. Roscommon didn't do themselves justice in the championship at U20, senior level this year at least the minors finished the year on a high for Roscommon this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Congrats to the winner of the apartment in London but what a balls to have to refund over a quarter of a million euro thanks to the ****ing gambling board in Britain!

Club Rossie lost out big time thanks to them!

Still made c€900k.
    Not a bad oul return.
    Now to spend it wisely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Still made c€900k.
    Not a bad oul return.
    Now to spend it wisely.

Serious fundraising effort in fairness. And they hit a few obstacles along the way with pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭cms88

I see Donie Shine has retired. While many might say he didn't becoome the player thought. He still won Connacht titles at every grade and a minor All-Ireland and that's a lot more than most. Should really have won an All-Star in 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

cms88 wrote: »
    I see Donie Shine has retired. While many might say he didn't becoome the player thought. He still won Connacht titles at every grade and a minor All-Ireland and that's a lot more than most. Should really have won an All-Star in 2010

True, pretty much dragged us over the line himself in 2010. He was blighted by injury in fairness, once he hit 24 or 25 anyway. Arguably Roscommon's best big game player of the last 30 or so years. Ice in the veins. It's unfortunate in a way that his highlights came so early in his career, but that's the way it fell. Comfortably would have remained one of the top players on the Roscommon club scene for another 5 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rn

I imagine clanns eventual crushing of brigids iron grip on roscommon SFC was a highlight of his career that came late on. He was instrumental to ending clanns drought.

If clann were competing for connacht club championships, that would be motivation to soldier on until nature says no more. But with a strong padraig Pearses, a probably stronger St brigids in 2021 and clann being so far off the pace in connacht, realistically he's won what he's going to win with his senior club titles (defeating Pearses and brigids in both).

More luck to him in his retirement. He's been a joy to watch in clann and roscommon colours for 15 years.

https://youtu.be/_lDQA4saWfU

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭cms88

True, pretty much dragged us over the line himself in 2010. He was blighted by injury in fairness, once he hit 24 or 25 anyway. Arguably Roscommon's best big game player of the last 30 or so years. Ice in the veins. It's unfortunate in a way that his highlights came so early in his career, but that's the way it fell. Comfortably would have remained one of the top players on the Roscommon club scene for another 5 years.

How many of that 06 minor team went on to play senior? As in had played for a few years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

cms88 wrote: »
    How many of that 06 minor team went on to play senior? As in had played for a few years

About 8 of them had proper senior careers.

13 or 14 played Senior at some stage with Carty, Devaney, Donie, Higgins, Fintan, O'Gara having good innings.
    Ormsby and Domican cut short their careers by going abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

13 or 14 played Senior at some stage with Carty, Devaney, Donie, Higgins, Fintan, O'Gara having good innings.
    Ormsby and Domican cut short their careers by going abroad.

David Keenan says hello!

Advertisement