Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭blowitupref

6 points in the last hour + played today!

There are some problems in defence, but this is pathetic. We had lots of ball, but did SFA with it, no creativity at all. Attacks kept breaking down, the sheer volumes of counter attacks we faced was more a problem than how we reacted to them.

The game plan is 5 years out of date, forwards have not improved and have no cohesion or team play when we have the ball, just hope Donie or Duirmuid or Ciaran or Enda conjure up a bit of magic.

Was too much probing by Roscommon with the ball in hand looking to create goal scoring chances. Armagh when they didn't have the ball had all 15 players fully focused on defending and tackled in pairs and attacked at pace the very opposite of Roscommon. I'm sure even Armagh were left surprised by how comfortable they won that match.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

Not a good day at the office at all.
    Will AC opt for major surgery for Galway game as he's nothing to lose while putting out the same forwards again would be unforgiveable.
    Up to this League the 2 Smiths, 2 Murtaghs and Cox were nearly shoo ins but not now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

A week away from the Connacht game, and I'm hearing a maximum 400 people being allowed to attend - fvckin ridiculous.

The Geals should open the bar and sell pints, then let whoever buys them 'wander' off to drink them outside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rn

I was at the junior a game on Friday, where only 200 were allowed. What I saw was people get it very hard to social distance, especially on way into and out of the ground. People just meet friends and want to chat.

Would be safer to have no crowd or only vaccinated people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A week away from the Connacht game, and I'm hearing a maximum 400 people being allowed to attend - fvckin ridiculous.

The Geals should open the bar and sell pints, then let whoever buys them 'wander' off to drink them outside!

It's a 1000 altogether so I suppose be about 900 supportors.

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    It's a 1000 altogether so I suppose be about 900 supportors.

That's what I'd originally heard, hope it's more accurate than the second figure I quoted earlier.

@rn what you're talking about is more a societal issue than a gaa or event specific one, walk down the street and you'll see people mixing as you describe. I've no intention of hijacking or sidetracking this thread into another covid related one, there are enough of them, and the pontificating around Covid is a big reason why I left another Rossie related forum a while ago, so apologies for getting sidetracked.

Any team/fitness news? Ronan Daly was the only doubt I've heard about o. The papers last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭degzs

Very low key buildup which may suit us and Galway are red hot favorites with the bookies

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rossvet

degzs wrote: »
    Very low key buildup which may suit us and Galway are red hot favorites with the bookies

Hopefully the Galway players think so too!
    We need to hit the ground running like Salthill 2017 and hopefully the lads will have regained their zest for the game.
    Otherwise the bookies will be more than vindicated 😥

Sad news in GAA circles today. Great clubman and known across the county. RIP Ray.
    https://clanngaa.ie/news/9-news/51-ray-fallon-rip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Roscommon starting team and subs for Sunday.

Colm Lavin - Eire Og
    David Murray - Padraig Pearses
    Brian Stack - St Brigids
    Conor Daly - Padraig Pearses
    Niall Daly - Padraig Pearses
    Conor Hussey - Mícheal Glaveys
    Sean Mullooly - Strokestown
    Enda Smith - Boyle
    Eddie Nolan - St Brigids
    Niall Kilroy - Fuerty
    Ciaran Murtagh - St Faithleachs
    Shane Killoran - Elphin
    Diarmuid Murtagh - St Faithleachs
    Donie Smith - Boyle
    Conor Cox - Eire Og

Subs : Patrick O Malley, David Neary, Fergal Lennon, Richard Hughes, Ronan Daly, Tadgh O Rourke, Cathal Cregg, Cian McKeon, Conor Devaney, Ciaran Lennon, Ultan Harney.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

How has Conor Cox not being taken off.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

How has Conor Cox not being taken off.....

Could count on one hand the amount of Roscommon players that played well. Poor game decided on poor defending by Roscommon on both goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Could count on one hand the amount of Roscommon players that played well. Poor game decided on poor defending by Roscommon on both goals.

Agree but Cox should have been whipped way earlier. Kilroy lasted the full game is a sackable offence he had a nightmare. .played dog****e but management have to go.

Congrats to the u20s on their provincial title!

Thought we looked in trouble in first 15 mins, couldn't get any possession but weathered the storm and ran out clear and deserved winners.

Beautiful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Still trying to get my head around this new format, but decided I had to try and get something in about the U17s win tonight.

It was awesome!!!

11 points down in the middle of the first half and getting wiped out on their own kickout, these young lads showed how sheer courage and will to win can rescue lost causes. Seniors take note!

Having been lucky enough to get a ticket for the excellent Mayo win and tonight as well, I have been seriously entertained by this group, it's just a pity I didn't get to go to the U20s brilliant win. But it's great to see Roscommon produce so many quality footballers with a winning attitude. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Two big games this weekend for football in the county

U17 Connacht final tonight v Sligo

U20 AI Semi tomorrow v Down

Well capable of winning both but I think the U20s are up against a formidable Down team

After the nature of the win over Galway I had a big fear about this game. Very fortunate to be just a point down at half time. Lads haven't settled into the game at all yet and showing a lack of composure.

Conditions are poor but some of the cheap turnovers we have given away so far.

Hopefully we can reset now for second half and improve our decision making. Really need to keep a tighter reign on the 2 Sligo wing backs going forward in second half.

Minors were beaten by the better team.

As mentioned above, Roscommon were lucky to only be 1 point down at half-time, but Sligo just kept popping over the points. In fact their finishing was superb. They had very few wides and their corner forward Luke Marron deserves special mention; superb finisher with both feet.

It was disappointing especially after the superb comeback last week, but I certainly don't begrudge Sligo.

Ah yeah there's absolutely no arguing that by far the better side won.

Just so disappointing that our lads never settled into the game and did themselves justice. I doubt they ever produced so many cheap turnovers and basic errors in any training session.

Costly lesson learned for them but that's sport. Onwards and upwards to tomorrow evening!

What a display after the water break by the u20s. Similar to last night early on with some very costly turnovers and handling errors but the team spirit, fight and never say die attitude by the lads was something else.

Can't argue with Cregg getting man of match but I thought Colin Walsh was a pure warrior tonight. That turnover he won in middle of the field that he had no right to that set up the equaliser was inspirational and we were never going to lose the game after it.

A performance to fill every Rossie with pride.

• Advertisement

A win is a win is a win, but God there were times in that game I was thinking, if Roscommon lose this they will never get over it.

Unlike the minor match, I thought Roscommon were a much better team, far better defensively and looked much more dangerous in attack, but they tended to give the ball away far too easily. I know the conditions played into that somewhat, but there was some panicky decision-making, especially at the end when leading and a man up.

It was only when I got home and looked at it on Player that I realised Cregg had scored so much, but I still thought Colin Walsh put in one of the greatest full-back displays I've ever seen from a Roscommon player. He was a true leader from start to finish.

The final will certainly be one the neutral will enjoy, but obviously I want Roscommon to win. Enough moral victories and brave defeats. They are certainly good enough, so go and win it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

We left that one behind us. Some poor shot selection and bad wides cost us badly. Definitely a game where we produced more than enough chances to win, disappointing today but overall they’ve done brilliantly this year and there’s a few players on that team who look like future senior footballers already

Excellent summary.

Won't name names, but a few lads what have played well all year were well off the pace today, that's the way it goes sometimes, and if there was one critisism it would probably be that we were a bit slow to react on the sideline and to make changes. However, I'm being harsh, overall a good season at U20 and hopefully a number of those lads will thrive at senior in the coming years.

Congrats to Offaly, closed off the centre well with the dropping of the #11 into the back line and in the end were deserving if narrow winners.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 SYMETAL

Watching the match today, I felt it was very much there for the taking for Roscommon. I lost count of how many turnovers they had and how many wasted scoring opportunities the had, with wides and short balls.

I think they will probably feel like they left it behind them today.

With that being said, Well done to Offaly for holding onto position better, and converting more of their chances.

Overall I feel the best team won on the day.

God knows I don't begrudge Offaly, but I'm absolutely gutted at that loss.

The previous post said it all for me: Giving the ball away!!!

I txt my buddy at half-time and said if we stop giving the ball away we'll win. And it really was that simple! Unfortunately, the generosity got even worse in the third quarter. From 0-7 to 0-8 to 0-7 to 0-13, where all five Offaly points came from where Roscommon actually had the ball but gave it away through bad concentration or poor decision-making. And that's where the game was lost. It was so frustrating to watch!

The good thing is that they played to the bitter, bitter end. That's vital. But they should never have been in that position.

I'm just so disappointed that such a good team left a very winable All-Ireland behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Anyone care to share taughts on club champ to date

The best team in the SFC got over the line. The same in the intermediate. So both of those have a right good chance of a connacht club title.

We've a nominated representative in the junior club championships after St. Josephs were highest progressing junior club, the other 3 teams in the semi final were second teams off bigger clubs.

After corofin gone connacht senior club championship is wide open,. Winter football should suit Pearses big mobile players, while making it harder for clubs with better forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MacDanger

How do the Rossies fancy Pearses on Sunday? I see Boyles have Knockmore @ evens and Pearses @11/10

Pearses are excellent. They are very good defensively. Excellent in half back line and midfield. Well managed and experienced in tough, slog fest battle football. They don't panic. Their weakness is their forwards, but in slow heavy pitches this time of year they've a great chance. They also lack depth in the squad... Again not a huge deal at club level.

• Advertisement

Well done Pearses. Great win for them.

Only just saw the above post now and was very surprised to see that Pearses were 11/10. I know it's aftertiming, but I fancied Pearses to win Connacht once Corofin were out and especially once they got over Moylough/Mountbellew.

They were by far the better team today. Very composed (with one exception) on the ball and far more disciplined than previous years. Actually that new-found discpiline has been the makings of them. No more hanging on for dear life at the finish after getting multiple cards. Now they're pushing on and adding to their leads.

Paul Carey deserves special mention. I always assumed he'd be straight into the county senior setup after his displays underage, and I believe he has been asked but refused. I am not 100% certain on that last point but it makes sense. Whenever I watch him play, his quality shines out a mile. He is as good an inside forward as there is in the county and I hope he will be encouraged to join the big boys soon.

Advertisement