Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I was told that was very much a box ticking exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Would be a good appointment if say, if it is properly resourced with a good backroom team.

Can't see it happening, it's either Rochford hoping to hurry up the Mayo gang, someone in Roscommon flying a kite and providing a distraction, or the least likely of all in this case the journalist just making up something to make a headline (not normally this guys form).

Smells like BS, but let's see, I'll be happy if I'm wrong.

Noises being dropped about Pat Flanagan over the weekend.

Don't want to judge without seeing what backroom team is proposed, but would seem an underwhelming, unambitious appointment on the face of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

His club CV speaks for itself but has struggled in county management and would be a downgrade on Anthony Cunningham.

• Advertisement

Division 3 level coach at best, really underwhelming to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Surely one of the 3 defeated Mayo tickets should be looked at? All will obviously be eager to show the Mayo county board what they were missing out on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

Shocking event in ballyforan.

Lengthy ban coming for the team mentor.

You're right. On the face of it, it looks clearcut and a long ban could be the least of that guys worries, but best not to comment too much on it until the authorities see their processes out.

Referees going on strike I hear this weekend.

• Advertisement

Actually not confirmed yet, as in the fixtures for this evening are still 'on' and haven't been cancelled.

Whatever about the action of the referees, there are a lot of young lads a little over 8 hours away from a championship game that don't know whether it's on or off - either cancel it or don't, but make the call.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Green Peter

It's time referees made a stand, I think all refs nationally should withdraw from matches this weekend. Hard to believe the mentality of a supporter or team mentor who thinks it's acceptable to do what he did. Something is seriously wrong.

And still we wait......

Over 3 full months since we were dumped out of the championship, we're still waiting on the appointment of a new management team for our footballers.

We're a fvckin laughing stock -leaks of club level managers dropping twice weekly but still not any closer to an appointment.

Kieran Donaghy apparently.

That rumour was knocking about over the weekend, but don't think it's true.

Gealic Life say he's staying at Armagh, and he's denied it himself.

https://gaeliclife.com/counties/armagh/armagh-county-football/donaghy-set-to-remain-with-armagh/

Ah never mind so.

Just shows, nature abhors a vacuum, and in the absence of any movement or appointment by the board after 3 months +, rumours are bound to start.

In other news, Noel Dunning confirmed as U20 boss, with Frankie and Donal Neary (Strokestown) as selectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Is the new Roscommon manager a current club manager and the county board are waiting for his club season to finish before appointing him? Donegal seem to be doing that Rory Kavanagh. Donegal and Roscommon the last teams to appoint managers and both in Div 1 next year.

Magnificent and unlikely raid by the northern clubs today to setup a novel county senior final. Could both intermediate and senior go north this year?

In other news, our rumoured next manager pushed out further as his club side continues to win on that respective club championship

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

You don't mean O'Hara?

I hope not.

Great wins for Strokesown and Boyle.

As a Gaels man myself, I believe we threw it away. Both goals were terrible goals to give away from a defensive point of view and gave Strokestown the belief that didn't seem to be there beforehand. Fair play to them, they made the most of it and showed tremendous determination to take it over the line.

Was very impressed with Boyle. The 'great attack, no defense' issue seems to have been cleared up. There are no longer any passengers on that team and I personally fancy them strongly to win the final. Not that it will be easy, but I think they have too much class and certainly don't seem to be lacking in the determination department either.

Either way, the pairing is good for football in the county.

O'Hara, FFS no! I don't have any insight to be honest, but more likely to be a certain ex-clubmate of your own than the model Eamonn.

Couldn't have been a more difficult Connacht championship draw for Roscommon, Mayo in the quarter final in MacHale park had to be with McStay in charge. The winner will face defending Connacht champions and All Ireland runners up Galway and the loser of the quarter final tie will be a 3rd seed in the group stage of the All Ireland championship and over a month before they play their next game.

No don't mean o hara.

Ya tough draw. Still you just have to put in two monumental performances and should be guaranteed connacht.

And the manager already has significant rebuilding work.

No doubt a few players will consider their 2023 plans also and opt out. I guess it creates opportunities for the great u20 team from 2021.

Heard a rumour that mc stay very impressed with mayo Co development panels. He's been looking at club games and those on development panels standing out significantly over the normal club player.

There is a lot of talent coming through at Mayo, the likes of McStay and Rochford wouldn't be tripping over other to get involved otherwise.

Anyway, we have enough to worry about within our own county, what a fvckin mess we're in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Which one of rumoured names will be the best fit for Roscommon seniors in 2023?

Tom Cribbin, Davy Burke, Bernard Flynn, Pat Flanagan or Brendan Hackett.

I expect it will be F O'D .

Whoever takes over is on a hiding to nothing next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Don't believe O'Donnell was interviewed.

Talk now that Bernard Flynn has opted out. Was to have Stephen O'Neill on board as a forwards coach.

If and probably a big if that Roscommon can get a new manager in with a decent defensive coach the year may not be a write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

It's not attacking forward play that Roscommon need coaching in, it's coaching the forwards how to defend.

If that can be done, there's loads of football in that team and they can do damage.

I can't stand this defeatist attitude so many Roscommon people have. It's that pervasive kind of thinking that invariably infiltrates a team and ends up being a self-fulfilling prophecy. Self-belief is the most important quality of all. If we could get a manager who infuses that belief into the team I really believe Roscommon have enough quality footballers to go a long way.

But that's a big 'if'.

• Advertisement

The identity of the new Roscommon senior football manager will be known next week. Special county board meeting on Wednesday next where it is expected that a name will be brought forward for ratification. Pat Flanagan current Padraig Pearses still in the running and if rumours are to believed current Ballymun manager Brendan Hackett and Davy Burke who led Kildare U20s to the 2018 All Ireland title are the other candidates. 

Advertisement