Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Think we are practically safe as it is. Monaghan would need to beat Mayo in Castlebar and us lose and a big swing in the scoring difference in both games.

I wonder do we need to look at our warm ups in terms of these slow starts? Frustrating first half, lots of men back but very little physical contact, even for their goal we pretty much had everyone inside our 45 and still got picked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,357 ✭✭✭megadodge

That point about the warmup was exactly what I was thinking. Is it too hard, where the players are overexerted, or is it too casual and light? Either way, it needs fixing.

Also, once Roscommon started pushing up on the kickouts late in the game, they won almost every one of them. This should be a tactic adopted throughout, similar to Kerry and Mayo, both of whom make short kickouts very difficult. Once Doyle is playing we compete well on the long kickouts. Speaking of which, I wonder why Doyle wasn't started. He was brought on quite quickly, but at that stage Roscommon had lost every kickout and were 6 points down. While he isn't having the spectacular year he had last year when coming on as a sub, once he's on the field the opposition tend not to win too many of the long kickouts consistently. Doyle's ability to compete in the air is vital to Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,079 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

it made a huge diffrence even mark mchugh said it at halftime , i taught that was a very good second half performance by roscommon especially how slow they started in the first 25 minutes

cox had a big game for a change was good on the frees , ben o'carroll is a really intelligent footballer taught he made some great runs in the attack when he came on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• Registered Users Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I'd have come across and faced Aisling and her sister over the years. Super players, who never stood back from anything as far as I can see, they seem to hold great attitudes alright. We were often on the receiving end of their footballing talent. A credit to their family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

Great win at the weekend. Relegation put to bed in style and even did enough to reach league final if other results went our way. 7 competitive games under our belt. A very good league.

Yeah, a very good league campaign overall.

Even with the slow starts, Roscommon were very competitive in ALL matches. And that's at the top level.

Hopefully, Galway and Mayo take lumps out of each other so Mayo are softened up for the following week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Paddico

So based on yesterdays performance, whats the thoughts on Mayo for Sunday.

Mayo certainly weren't impressive yesterday. A number of very soft frees kept them in it in the second half when Galway were well on top. They didn't look threatening at all for most of that second half.

However, the confidence gained from beating Galway, who they usually don't beat at all, will work in their favour.

I honestly think Roscommon have a good chance - if they perform to the level they are capable of.... for the full 70 minutes. The slow start issue cannot raise it's ugly head again or Mayo will be simply too far ahead to catch. If it's anyways close, I think this Mayo team are quite jittery. It really depends on whether Roscommon go and play with belief, something so many Roscommon teams have not done when playing in Castlebar.

Here's hoping.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Mayo don't usually beat Galway at all?! Results would suggest otherwise.

In the last 7 competitive games it's 5 wins, 1 draw and 1 defeat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

David Brady seems to have completely forgotten that Mayo had to play Roscommon. He's already planned out a Galway Mayo match in Salthill in 3 weeks time according to his interview on off the ball earlier. Nice confident attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I wouldn’t be paying any heed to that Fella and few people in Mayo would either. He has a habit of shooting his mouth off and coming out with awful shite.

If I could thank that post a thousand times, I would.

In their last 7 championship games, Galway have won 4.

As both teams appeared to show on Sunday, the league doesn't come close to championship in importance.

What I should have said is that Mayo tend to struggle with Galway at the best of times. It's very rare they have a comfortable day with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Just been looking at the format for the last 16 seeding. Am I right in thinking that only one of Roscommon, Mayo and Galway can be a first or second seed? That the two of them that don't make it to the provincial final will both be 3rd seeds? And that whoever makes the final from the other side of the draw will be a 1st or 2nd seed regardless of being in div 3/4?

U20s lost tonight to Sligo and it was kind of frustrating watching it.

They seemed afflicted with the slow starting that the seniors have been guilty of and went 10-1 down towards the end of the first half. Sligo were by far the better side and well worth their lead, but Roscommon really seemed devoid of ideas.

They got a late point and goal to leave it a manageable 5 points at half-time.

Roscommon were much improved in the second half and though Sligo hung on to win by four points, you just got the feeling that Roscommon really were capable of more. Mind you I thought Sligo looked a decent side, but from Roscommon's point of view I'd say there will be regrets.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I think you're right. Provincial finalists will be seeded 1 and 2 depending on whether they win it or not. Stupid really when the draw in Connacht could not be more lopsided than this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Tucker.Tim

Sorry for cross posting but I’ve two spare OAP/Student tickets for the match Sunday. Will sell both for 30 Euro. I can send the PDFs of the tickets digitally if it suits better.

They’re general admission so you can sit anywhere but the allocated seating in the stand. Never had any issues using the student ticket the times I’ve been stuck and I look like a grizzled veteran.. anyways, give me a bell if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭hayrabit

FJB !

HONN ROSS !!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭paulbok

Well, that was just delightful.

Massive effort and performance from the team.

• Advertisement

was great tbs ! 😊

great defensive performance - letting the forward/opposing players try and get some slippy possession, and end up fumbling the ball or running into a defender was a great strategy 🙂🙂

think Mayo could've been awarded a few more frees than what they got, meself.. will take it tho 😁

Really, excellent disciplined performance.

Hoge credit die to all, been good and competitive in all games so far and had to told on at times, but hold on they did and called Mayo's bluff in a lot of ways - we didn't do what Galway did last week in that we asked Mayo to score themselves rather than from soft frees, and they couldn't do it.

I'd fully expect the referee will get it in the neck from McStay, and the bevvie of pro-mayo pundits like Brady et Al during the week, but we fully deserved that win.

Galway are beatable. We need to be brave and run at them,they can't tackle and will give away frees all day.

But that's for another day, enjoy the celebrations.

PS Enda Smith was magnificent today. Lasted th e entire 70 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

I think it's fair to say that midfield, winning dirty ball and lack of defensive structure have been a concern for Roscommon teams for s long long time but but they all came up thrumps today.

Game kind of reminded me of the Armagh and Tyrone league games where we survived very presentable early goal chances and grew into the game thereafter.

I've been critical of Enda in the past of being a moments type player who can go out of a game for long periods in between searing runs but he was magnificent today from start to finish and worked himself into the ground.

Galway will present a different challenge but onwards and upwards!

WWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Having missed 2019, this is the very first time I've gone to Castlebar for a senior game and watched Roscommon beat Mayo (was there in 2010 v Sligo and the draw in 1991). So, forgive me if I'm ecstatic. Even in 1986 I was at Connacht athletics championships in Manorhamilton sitting around the long jump pit with a group of Clann na Gael lads listening to the match on a boom box.

Over the years quite a lot of those losses were hammerings, where I'd be saying to myself coming out "Never again", but inevitably I'd be back next time, wondering why I didn't keep my promise.

As I said in my earlier post, belief was the key. And with belief comes discipline. And Roscommon's discipline was outstanding. No panicky 'tackling' when the pressure is on, just disciplined defending and ball retention. And again Mayo looked very ordinary in possession and the longer the match went the more jittery they were.

Roscommon have a lot of very good footballers and really should fear nobody. They have already proven in the league that even with the bad starts they are competitive with EVERY team out there. But they need to knuckle down and realise that every match has to be like today. Maintain discipline and concentration for the full 70 minutes and the sky is the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,540 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Great win.

Plenty of improvement needed in moving ball out of defence and shot selection

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Why the dig at McStay? You obviously didn't see his interview.

No, to be fair to him I didn't. He seemed to be getting agitated with a few decisions along the line in the second half, he had obviously composed himself before facing the cameras.

I've seen plenty of online commentary from Mayo heads already blaming everything from referees to weather to Roscommon cheating, but nothing from Kevin himself. It only adds to the pleasure really, seeing their bitterness.

• Advertisement

😀💪

Advertisement