Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

with the under 21 squad being as thread-bare as it is atm i really think the likes of ronan daly and diarmuid murtagh should be at least on the bench for these games, both were deemed good enough and old enough to play senior club football last year for two clubs that had fine campaigns, the under 21 championship should be of much higher priority than the connacht minor league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What a sickner of a result,should have been out of sight when they were a man down but kicking 7 wides in a row is suicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

yabadabado wrote: »
    What a sickner of a result,should have been out of sight when they were a man down but kicking 7 wides in a row is suicide.

Was all those wides kicked after Donie Smith was sent off? Galway seem to be riding their luck Mayo also kicked a number of wides against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Strange weekend. Seniors clicking, U21s threw away a Connacht title, minors lost narrowly in a match most likely to be a Connacht final preview. Things are heading in the right direction on pretty much every front, though.

Plenty of U21s will get a chance to right some wrongs next season, Donie, Conor Daly and David Murray are still going to be U21 next season and they have huge experience in the bank now. Something like nine of yesterday's starters are back next year. Duirmuid Murtagh, Ronan Daly, Ultan Harney and a whole host of minors from last year means we'll have good squad to work with next year.

Hopefully Nigel, David Casey and Eddie Lohan give it another year because they've got the lads playing well in the main and disrupting that right now doesn't seem like it benefits anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Very, very strong rumour going round about a number of withdrawls/droppings from the panel, including Senan Kilbride, Peter Domnican, Geoffrey Claffey, Mark Miley, Fintan Cregg and James McKeague.

I haven't 100% proof (yet), but it sounds bad.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    Very, very strong rumour going round about a number of withdrawls/droppings from the panel, including Senan Kilbride, Peter Domnican, Geoffrey Claffey, Mark Miley, Fintan Cregg and James McKeague.

Yeah, they are all gone from what I heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

megadodge wrote: »

Losing Senan Kilbride,Peter Domican two certain championship starters will be a biggest loss for Roscommon. These guys probably need a rest after long club season however Roscomon don't have championship game until the middle of June.

Losing Senan Kilbride,Peter Domican two certain championship starters will be a biggest loss for Roscommon. These guys probably need a rest after long club season however Roscomon don't have championship game until the middle of June.

Kilbride is going to America AFAIK .

Kilbride is going to America AFAIK .

Who's going to replace him, U-21s with little senior championship experience or Donal Shine who's unable to get fit this year?

Not tinged with a little contempt, eh? Claffey and Miley seem to have lost the goalkeeping battle to Darren O'Malley so it's probably likely at least one or both will take the opportunity to take a break from county and Senan has an achilles injury anyways but beyond that all this is idle speculation right now. It is the time of the year managers trim the panel and some of the league lads drop out. Chill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Irish94

Syferus wrote: »
    Not tinged with a little contempt, eh? Claffey and Miley seem to have lost the goalkeeping battle to Darren O'Malley so it's probably likely at least one or both will take the opportunity to take a break from county and Senan has an achilles injury anyways but beyond that all this is idle speculation right now. Chill.

Senan and Peter are definitely not playing for the county this year.

EDIT: Unless we make into August.

Kilbride has an injury and wanted to go travelling anyway so has decided not to join the panel.I cant blame him really it must be 3 years since he has had a proper break with his commitment to club/county.The players who have been mentioned I think Kilbride was the only one who would have started in the championship.I would expect to see a few lads dropping off the panel anyway after the league ,part of the process of building a squad.

I do want to see the two Donies (Shine and Smith) form a forward line with Senan K, there's a lot of potential for that combination to do serious damage on the scoreboard. The Brigids lads have been going almost non-stop for three years and two and a half months at this stage so it's not surprising that some are taking a break. I think Compton is in line for a championship start anyways but if Senan isn't there Evans may be tempted to play him at 14.

As long as Wardie's hamstring injury recovers - which it really should given the time he's had and will have until June 16th - he will be able to provide more strength our options at the back. We're not shorn at all for options there so even though Domo is a serious player I wouldn't be too worried about his absence costing us.

Kilbride has an injury and wanted to go travelling anyway so has decided not to join the panel.I cant blame him really it must be 3 years since he has had a proper break with his commitment to club/county.The players who have been mentioned I think Kilbride was the only one who would have started in the championship.I would expect to see a few lads dropping off the panel anyway after the league ,part of the process of building a squad.

In fairness if Roscommon had six better defenders than Peter Domican they wouldn't be playing division three football.

In fairness if Roscommon had six better defenders than Peter Domican they wouldn't be playing division three football.

I rate Domican and he has plenty of ability but other players have played well and Domican hasnt got a chance to show what he can do due to his club commitments.A few lads would have played themselves into positions during the league whereas Domican hasn't played at all,hard for a manager to drop a lad who has performed well for him.Just a feeling I had that he mightn't have started the championship.Would still want him on the panel and there is a good chance he would have played himself into contention in the coming weeks.
    Where would ye lads start him if he was available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Playing well in div 3 really has to be brought into question the best two Monaghan,Meath will hardly make it to bank holiday weekend and
    Roscommon conceded 8-61 in the league that's big amount for that level.

Players walked during the championship last summer and now if rumours are true players have walked away before a ball has been kicked. All not well with the Roscommon senior set up?

Playing well in div 3 really has to be brought into question the best two Monaghan,Meath will hardly make it to bank holiday weekend and
    Roscommon conceded 8-61 in the league that's big amount for that level.

Players walked during the championship last summer and now if rumours are true players have walked away before a ball has been kicked. All not well with the Roscommon senior set up?

Let's assume all the rumours are true.

Claffey and Miley were both dropped in favour of O'Malley in goal; you were likely to see someone fall away there no matter what because being the back-up keeper is one of the roughest roads to walk in the sport and after starting and then losing your position you're always going to feel like your chances of getting your spot back are limited. There may be ill-feeling there but it's hard to look at how O'Malley's performed and say it was the wrong call. If both left it'd certainly not be ideal but neither was going to start come June.

McKeague barely played in the league while Fintan Cregg wasn't going to be in contention for a championship start because the lad honestly under-performed in the league. Fintan's been in and out of the panel for years so I highly doubt he's had a big bust-up with Evans and I wouldn't be surprised if he featured in next year's league.

Domican took a break last year after Brigids championship ended too while Senan K is likely to have been offered a sweet deal to spend the summer in America. Senan was vocal about liking what Evans was doing earlier in the year so I think we can safely assume his decision has little to do with the set-up and everything to do with playing top-level football non-stop for over three years. Both are blows but few are going to be angry with them for taking a break after all the work they've put in and I'm sure Evans will welcome them back when the time comes.

Last year there was all sorts of ructions coming out of the camp in the league, even in full view of supporters, while this year most everything has been positive. Players - who were starters - left after the Galway game last year, mid-championship, which sent out a very different message to this.

Senan is the big loss given he is our best forward but we have enough going for us not lose heart before a ball is even kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gunneros

Domican is more than likely going to travel for a full year. Ritchie Blaine, the 2 mchughs and senan were supposed to go to America for the summer but the latest from the brigids camp is that senan might be persuaded to stay.

Gunneros wrote: »
    Domican is more than likely going to travel for a full year. Ritchie Blaine, the 2 mchughs and senan were supposed to go to America for the summer but the latest from the brigids camp is that senan might be persuaded to stay.

Would be huge if we had Senan obviously, I'd really like to see Cathal McHugh get a run in the senior team again but that mightn't happen until he's available for the league because managers will probably want to bed him back in in the league and not throw him in at the deep end in championship football. McHugh, even half-fit, is a serious player.

Do you know anything about the other Brigids players who were on the panel, the co-captains and I think a couple others? Nine was the number bandied about before. I don't think Darren Dolan was supposed to be in that group but he would be a big boost to the panel if we could get him involved.

Would be huge if we had Senan obviously, I'd really like to see Cathal McHugh get a run in the senior team again but that mightn't happen until he's available for the league because managers will probably want to bed him back in in the league and not throw him in at the deep end in championship football. McHugh, even half-fit, is a serious player.

Do you know anything about the other Brigids players who were on the panel, the co-captains and I think a couple others? Nine was the number bandied about before. I don't think Darren Dolan was supposed to be in that group but he would be a big boost to the panel if we could get him involved.

As far as I know there are no other brigids players going into the panel. I think most brigids people expected Ronan stack to get a call but nothing has happened yet I think.

• Advertisement

As far as I know there are no other brigids players going into the panel. I think most brigids people expected Ronan stack to get a call but nothing has happened yet I think.

Wow, I thought Stack would be a no-brainer after that display in the AI final, MotM stuff. Hopefully he's added to the panel in the coming weeks because he's one for the future. I remember Des Newton added a few players post-league last year so maybe there's still scope for players like Stack and Darren to join the panel.

As far as I know Mango, Ian Kilbride, Darragh Donnelly and Darren Dolan are now training with the seniors. (Could be wrong about Darren but %70 sure he is)

Richie Blaine, Gearoid Cunniffe, Peter Domican, Cathal McHugh and Senan are going to America for the summer, along with last years goalie James Martin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Folks, attack the post not the poster, if you have a problem with a post, report it, if you have a problem with a poster, ignore them

So according to the Herald (and Evans) Miley and Claff have left the panel and Tagh Lowe, this year's U21 keeper, will back-up O'Malley. Best wishes to both, Miley has served dutifully as back-up keeper for a number of years and Claff owes us nothing after years of service. Both are young enough that we could well see them in county colours again.

The most interesting thing reported was that Evans isn't ruling out Dom or Senan for the Connacht semi, and that both will be available for Brigids' first two group games of the county championship in mid-May. I guess he's leaving the door open for thme to see how they feel after the break from football they'll have had for 4-6 weeks by mid-May.

Irish94 wrote: »
    As far as I know Mango, Ian Kilbride, Darragh Donnelly and Darren Dolan are now training with the seniors. (Could be wrong about Darren but %70 sure he is)

Richie Blaine, Gearoid Cunniffe, Peter Domican, Cathal McHugh and Senan are going to America for the summer, along with last years goalie James Martin.

Karol M, Ian K, Darren D, Darragh Donnelly and I heard stack has gone in training too.

Senan is not going to America anymore. He has not decided yet whether he is playing for the county or not.

Irish94 wrote: »
    Senan is not going to America anymore. He has not decided yet whether he is playing for the county or not.

Senan's confirmed he's returning to the panel, it's a massive boost for the panel and a great show of support by one of the best forwards we've produced in many years, no one was going to criticise him for resting for longer after three years of non-stop football.

Donie Shine's hamstring has flared up again but hopefully he'll recover in time for June 16th, if we can field Senan and the two Donies it will improve our chances no end.

Senan's confirmed he's returning to the panel, it's a massive boost for the panel and a great show of support by one of the best forwards we've produced in many years, no one was going to criticise him for resting for longer after three years of non-stop football.

Donie Shine's hamstring has flared up again but hopefully he'll recover in time for June 16th, if we can field Senan and the two Donies it will improve our chances no end.

Can anyone give me an update on how the rossies are shaping up at moment? Is Donie shine s hamstring knackered? How many goalies have we? I believe Seanan is well back in harness but no sign of domican. Darren Dolan trained for a while but has left to go to US.

Can anyone give me an update on how the rossies are shaping up at moment? Is Donie shine s hamstring knackered? How many goalies have we? I believe Seanan is well back in harness but no sign of domican. Darren Dolan trained for a while but has left to go to US.

Well Donie hasn't played in any challenges or training games since it gave way in the league match for Clann but at this stage Evans and Donie are so burnt with the hamstring injury that it's unlikely he'll see any game-time until a week or two before the Connacht semi. Barring a set-back we really won't know until closer to the game.

Mike Finneran picked up an injury and hasn't seen the field since the Cavan game but there really hasn't been any intimation that he won't be ready for June 16th.

As far as I know Darren O'Malley and Tadgh Lowe are the keepers on the panel now, with O'Malley the starter. Once O'Malley started the final two league games it was almost a done deal that he'd be the championship starter. Heard murmurs that Cake was helping out with coaching the keepers but who knows if there's any truth to that.

Senan's back in training by all accounts, yeah, and with Donie Shine so iffy he's more essential to our chances than ever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

I feel until the current crop of Roscommon players have some proper facilities for S&C and finance behind them then they will not be able to compete with the top teams.

Mayo got that area sorted under Horan and they've been in the top few teams since he came in.

Advertisement