Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Well done to the Rossies. Would have been harsh had Cork brought the game to et, as I feel they may have had the legs to kick on. Roscommon by far the better team, and congratulations. Enjoyed the game immensely. Best of luck in the Final

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭therambler

Great to see such a massive turnout from Ros.. Have to say, we have some of the best supporters in the country! Did anyone else think that management were too slow to bring on subs in the last few mins? Some of the lads were out on their feet and it nearly cost us the game :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

therambler wrote: »
    Great to see such a massive turnout from Ros.. Have to say, we have some of the best supporters in the country! Did anyone else think that management were too slow to bring on subs in the last few mins? Some of the lads were out on their feet and it nearly cost us the game :/

Yeah, I wish we'd got some fresh lads on earlier. Jack Earley would have been an ideal man to sit between the two back lines in the last 10-15 minutes, he has pace to burn and could have disrupted the Cork forwards when they were breaking forward.

We'll need to use the bench effectively in the final, we were the better team two years ago against Dublin for 52 minutes until our midfield tired and we had no answer to the stream of Dublin subs. I'd hope we look back and have those lessons well drilled this year. Adrian Gleeson is also a player who can drop back and offer something going forward in the second half of games, I would like to see him feature in the final.

Hopefully Conor is fit to start for the final, it would mean we'd have another quality back on the bench to bring on. Fintan Sweeney may make it, don't know about Fintan Kelly, who is a super lad in his own right. When you look at it, Ronan Daly is our fifth choice HB, Niall McInerney (a starter for Brigids) is sixth choice - we have an embarrassment of riches at the position this year.

Hopefully we can find a role for someone so that the FB line has a little more cover, we get that and I think we'll beat Dublin.

The same corner of O'Moore Park that Frankie conjured his magic back in 2003.

The more I see of Murtagh the more I see a young Frankie, and I mean that in a very good way. Murt is on a far more even keel than the most fearsome postman in Ireland but his nerves, his accuracy from play and from frees, his knack of stepping up when a game is on the line remind me of only one Roscommon player. Like Frankie he can play-make as well, he set up our game winning goal against Sligo in Connacht this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

What were Ros management at by not bring on any sub until the 60th minute at least two defenders should have been taken off. Well deserved win in a game that was almost foolishly brought to extra time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

That was mighty, very nervous in the last few minutes but fair play to us we held on, murtagh is some fella, a cork man near me compared him to a young gouch. Thats some few weeks we have to look forward to with the Cavan game and then the dirty jacks, things are looking good,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Congrats to Roscommon. Great supporters yesterday and there'll be good banter next week.

Best of luck in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

That was mighty, very nervous in the last few minutes but fair play to us we held on, murtagh is some fella, a cork man near me compared him to a young gouch. Thats some few weeks we have to look forward to with the Cavan game and then the dirty jacks, things are looking good,

For a county with so few national titles - this would be a huge one to win. However, Roscommon will be aware that they almost let slip a game that was firmly in their control. Cork did not perform in the 1st half and Roscommon played sublime football but the 2nd half was a complete reversal.

The ref played a pivotal role - he awared some of the softest frees I've ever seen and it's not just my opinion - anyone that cares to look at the game again will hear McGearailt (A Kerryman) comment that at least 6 fo the frees were soft. Even that was an understatement - there were not frees.

Without that huge assistence from the Ref - there is every chance that Ros would have most the game - they cannot afford to produce a 2nd half performance like yesterday in the final.

Lemlin wrote: »
    Congrats to Roscommon. Great supporters yesterday and there'll be good banter next week.

Best of luck in the final.

Thanks and the hard luck to you fellas, as usual the ref making sure the jacks win, though you were very hard done by

For a county with so few national titles - this would be a huge one to win. However, Roscommon will be aware that they almost let slip a game that was firmly in their control. Cork did not perform in the 1st half and Roscommon played sublime football but the 2nd half was a complete reversal.

The ref played a pivotal role - he awared some of the softest frees I've ever seen and it's not just my opinion - anyone that cares to look at the game again will hear McGearailt (A Kerryman) comment that at least 6 fo the frees were soft. Even that was an understatement - there were not frees.

Without that huge assistence from the Ref - there is every chance that Ros would have most the game - they cannot afford to produce a 2nd half performance like yesterday in the final.

Will you go away with your rubbish talk , take the beating when you get it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

As a neutral I think Roscommon got one or 2 calls in their favour that were debateable, but that had absolutely nothing to do with why they won. They were immense and should have won by a lot more. The full forward line was sensational, and for me the Cork goals papered over how poor they were.

Is it possible that Cork didnt play well because Roscommon didnt let them play well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I said before the match it could be decided by the individual brilliance of Diarmuid Murtagh and how did he deliver. Well done Roscommon played best football throughout out led for most of it a fully deserved win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Great performance from young Murtagh yesterday.Hopefully he can shine at senior level later in year.Has Donie Smith been injured? Was a top player against Dublin in u21 final 2 years ago.Was quiet enough and hasn't played much for Roscommon senior lately.Potentially another top notch forward

Will you go away with your rubbish talk , take the beating when you get it,

I don't see what you find wrong with my post, Tom.

I'm sure that my county has got the benefit of bad decisions/soft frees in the past and I've seen nothing wrong with the ref in such circumstances. I said to some people before the game that a draw was a good bet - this is a very tough U21 c/ship with 4 quality sides in the semis.

I wasn't surprised by Roscommon's ability - should have beaten Galway last year and won the Hastings - they were even better than I expected - Corcoran and Murtagh are as good as I've seen at this level - it's hard to think how good Murtagh can get - Roscommon will build a very good senior side in the near future and a long awaited AI isn't far away IMO.

I will be supporting Ros in the final but the Ros management is top class obviously and I have no doubt will be sitting down with the panel this week and will be saying pretty much what I said in my post.

Congrats on a great performance and good luck in the final - 31 counties will be rooting for ye.

Gael85 wrote: »
    Great performance from young Murtagh yesterday.Hopefully he can shine at senior level later in year.Has Donie Smith been injured? Was a top player against Dublin in u21 final 2 years ago.Was quiet enough and hasn't played much for Roscommon senior lately.Potentially another top notch forward

Was injured in Boyle's run to the Connacht IFC final last November. First start of the year was in the Mayo-Ros U21 match. Started for the seniors against Sligo in our last league game. Only getting back to his best now. He only got a point yesterday but he tormented his man, won a lot of the frees others converted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Gael85

Syferus wrote: »
    Was injured in Boyle's run to the Connacht IFC final last November. First start of the year was in the Mayo-Ros U21 match. Started for the seniors against Sligo in our last league game. Only getting back to his best now. He only got a point yesterday but he tormented his man, won a lot of the frees others converted.

he a quality player as is his brother Enda.The future is bright for Roscommon. Will the 21 players play in league final against Cavan next weekend? Jim Gavin will probably rest Dublin 21 lads for league final against Derry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 346 ✭✭Francescoli

The ref gave a few soft frees but there wasn't 6 clear cut soft free's awarded to Ros and people complaining about the winning free don't know the rules of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

A complete reversal? it was 11-5 at half time really should have been around 1-13 to 0-5. In the 2nd half the scoring was with the game entering injury time 2-7 (13) to 1-7 (10) to Cork and you must remember Corks first goal came against the run of play.

In regards to the ref some bad calls yes and Cork got a few also. You only seen what you wanted to see. I would suggest to get some neutral to watch the game back for you i'm sure they will agree the best side won.

A complete reversal? it was 11-5 at half time really should have been around 1-13 to 0-5. In the 2nd half the scoring was with the game entering injury time 2-7 (13) to 1-7 (10) to Cork and you must remember Corks first goal came against the run of play.

In regards to the ref some bad calls yes and Cork got a few also. You only seen what you wanted to see. I would suggest to get some neutral to watch the game back for you i'm sure they will agree the best side won.

You are correct - It wasn't a complete reversal - and Ros should have been 8 pts ahead at HT.

The trend in the 2nd half was distated by the ref. Cork started fast and reduced the gap to 0-2 very quickly but the soft frees (Cic Saor Bog as per McGearailt, Co Ciarrai) started and Cork's momentum was undermined repeatedly by Nolan.

Of course I saw it from a Cork point of view but McGearailt was neutral at the least and he was highly critical of a lot of frees awarde v Cork. Here's an example :-

Smith missed an affort but it was called back for a free - never a free.

Cork's 11 won a ball perfectly fairly in the rt corner and was penalised.

Cork's no 7 punched a ball and it was deemed a foul - don't knwo what for.

There was 3 incidents where a Cork player kicked the ball just before a Ros player picked it up - that's not a free here in Cork but maybe we have different rules to Wicklow.

Cadogan was pulled down by the shoulder and appealed for a free - nothing given.

2 blantant black cards in last 5 mins - Ros No 9 on Cork P and Ros 4 on Cadogan - these are not even debatable.

2 frees were taken in the wrong position and both scored - one moved from 48M to 44M and the last free, the angle was cut by 3M - these again are blatantly obvious in watching the replay.

The only soft free I rem to Cork was McEoin (15) seemed to play for a free and went down easily but it was debatable - I would be annoyed if I was a Rossie - maybe I missed a few.

I don't need a neutral to look at a recording - why don't you look at the 2nd half - you will easily identify the incidents and tell me if I'm wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The most blantant black card in the 2nd half was Brian O'Driscoll's foul on Ronan Daly. In the first half Jamie Davis can also count himself lucky to avoid a black card. Ref poor throughout unfortunately that is common place now. Two good sides playing free flowing football credit to both sides. The final score coming from the best player on show was a fitting finale.

• Advertisement

The most blantant black card in the 2nd half was Brian O'Driscoll's foul on Ronan Daly. In the first half Jamie Davis can also count himself lucky to avoid a black card. Ref poor throughout unfortunately that is common place now. Two good sides playing free flowing football credit to both sides. The final score coming from the best player on show was a fitting finale.

Yeah, I rem BOD's charge on Daly - I thought he would get a black and he could have no argument. He got yellow and could even have got red. I don't rem the Davis one but I'll take your word for it.

I'd agree with you that Murtagh was the best player on show and it was fitting that he should score the winning point. It was a credit to both sides and would have been a classic if we had a competent ref - let's hope many of these players cross swords in Senior, in the years ahead.

http://media.radiokerry.ie/upload/shannon/audio/Roscommon_Cork.mp3

The full match commentary. Poor Willie was about to keel over by the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

You are correct - It wasn't a complete reversal - and Ros should have been 8 pts ahead at HT.

The trend in the 2nd half was distated by the ref. Cork started fast and reduced the gap to 0-2 very quickly but the soft frees (Cic Saor Bog as per McGearailt, Co Ciarrai) started and Cork's momentum was undermined repeatedly by Nolan.

Of course I saw it from a Cork point of view but McGearailt was neutral at the least and he was highly critical of a lot of frees awarde v Cork. Here's an example :-

Smith missed an affort but it was called back for a free - never a free.

Cork's 11 won a ball perfectly fairly in the rt corner and was penalised.

Cork's no 7 punched a ball and it was deemed a foul - don't knwo what for.

There was 3 incidents where a Cork player kicked the ball just before a Ros player picked it up - that's not a free here in Cork but maybe we have different rules to Wicklow.

Cadogan was pulled down by the shoulder and appealed for a free - nothing given.

2 blantant black cards in last 5 mins - Ros No 9 on Cork P and Ros 4 on Cadogan - these are not even debatable.

2 frees were taken in the wrong position and both scored - one moved from 48M to 44M and the last free, the angle was cut by 3M - these again are blatantly obvious in watching the replay.

The only soft free I rem to Cork was McEoin (15) seemed to play for a free and went down easily but it was debatable - I would be annoyed if I was a Rossie - maybe I missed a few.

I don't need a neutral to look at a recording - why don't you look at the 2nd half - you will easily identify the incidents and tell me if I'm wrong ?

Having been at the match and surrounded by approximately 15 very friendly Corkonians, a number of whom I was having ongoing comments with about the game, I can honestly say not even one of them complained at any stage during the match about the referee. Not even one!! And that includes three who were closely related (mother, aunt and uncle) to one of the Cork players.

At the game's conclusion the only negative comment made by any of them was Enda Smith's 'point' that was IMO (and all Rossies around me: we had a perfect view) definitely wide. There was only a point in it at the end, so if anything Cork people should be pissed at the umpire, as it would have been a draw otherwise.

Once home I watched the match on TG4 player and I have to say your comments, while not aggressive, are extremely biased. You have completely ignored similar 'offenses' that went Cork's way and try to create controversy where none actually exists.

If the ref was so anti-Cork, then why did he overrule his umpire in the first half when a Cork effort was signalled wide? He instructed the umpire to wave the white flag. Hardly the actions of a biased official?

Of the three so-called 'soft frees' there was only one I felt wasn't a free and that was where Donie Smith and Muragh collided going for the same ball, Smith got it, shot an missed and the ref called it back using the advantage rule (which is allowed). I couldn't see a foul there. The other two were totally legit IMO.

While going on about Aidan MacGearailt using the term 'cic saor bog' twice, you failed to mention his use of the term 'ag lorg an cic saor' when a Cork player (no. 11) obviously manufactured a free, but the 'biased' ref gave it Cork's way.

And on MacGearailt, even after it was pointed out to him in the aftermatch analysis that picking a ball up off the ground with your knees is a foul, he admitted that he didn't actually know this. And you're quoting this 'expert' to back your case!!

There was a phantom free kick given to a Cork player in the first half, where he immediately jumped up and kicked the ball straight at the Roscommon player, who would have needed the lightning reflexes of Usain Bolt to avoid it. It was a very obvious piece of gamesmanship. The 'biased' ref brought the ball from a probably unscorable position up to a very scorable position (Cork missed but that's not the point).

Worst of all is the petty little 'gaining a few yards' on free kicks. While two wrongs don't make a right, this is something that goes on in football matches up and down the country, week in, week out, but here's the crux - go and watch Cork's third goal. The one from the close range free kick. Answer a simple question for me. Was that kick taken from the position of the foul? Yes or no? Considering the result of that kick and the advantage gained in those particular close-range circumstances, I think you have some nerve complaining on that issue.

I appreciate you haven't been incendiary, but you really should take a few days break on this subject, then go back and look at it again and try to be objective, because right now your views on this match are hopelessly one-sided.

A few from yesterday:

13931849286_0817ffbaa4_o.jpg

13931664171_22d44e6a2e_o.jpg

13954775345_8044da5513_o.jpg

13931672031_ed14010942_o.jpg

13931679326_9634c0d632_o.jpg

13955083233_0be00e63e7_b.jpg

13955231464_70d7294661_o.jpg

Great photos as usual syfrus, number three and four are mighty all together ,

megadodge wrote: »
    Having been at the match and surrounded by approximately 15 very friendly Corkonians, a number of whom I was having ongoing comments with about the game, I can honestly say not even one of them complained at any stage during the match about the referee. Not even one!! And that includes three who were closely related (mother, aunt and uncle) to one of the Cork players.

At the game's conclusion the only negative comment made by any of them was Enda Smith's 'point' that was IMO (and all Rossies around me: we had a perfect view) definitely wide. There was only a point in it at the end, so if anything Cork people should be pissed at the umpire, as it would have been a draw otherwise.

Once home I watched the match on TG4 player and I have to say your comments, while not aggressive, are extremely biased. You have completely ignored similar 'offenses' that went Cork's way and try to create controversy where none actually exists.

If the ref was so anti-Cork, then why did he overrule his umpire in the first half when a Cork effort was signalled wide? He instructed the umpire to wave the white flag. Hardly the actions of a biased official?

Of the three so-called 'soft frees' there was only one I felt wasn't a free and that was where Donie Smith and Muragh collided going for the same ball, Smith got it, shot an missed and the ref called it back using the advantage rule (which is allowed). I couldn't see a foul there. The other two were totally legit IMO.

While going on about Aidan MacGearailt using the term 'cic saor bog' twice, you failed to mention his use of the term 'ag lorg an cic saor' when a Cork player (no. 11) obviously manufactured a free, but the 'biased' ref gave it Cork's way.

And on MacGearailt, even after it was pointed out to him in the aftermatch analysis that picking a ball up off the ground with your knees is a foul, he admitted that he didn't actually know this. And you're quoting this 'expert' to back your case!!

There was a phantom free kick given to a Cork player in the first half, where he immediately jumped up and kicked the ball straight at the Roscommon player, who would have needed the lightning reflexes of Usain Bolt to avoid it. It was a very obvious piece of gamesmanship. The 'biased' ref brought the ball from a probably unscorable position up to a very scorable position (Cork missed but that's not the point).

Worst of all is the petty little 'gaining a few yards' on free kicks. While two wrongs don't make a right, this is something that goes on in football matches up and down the country, week in, week out, but here's the crux - go and watch Cork's third goal. The one from the close range free kick. Answer a simple question for me. Was that kick taken from the position of the foul? Yes or no? Considering the result of that kick and the advantage gained in those particular close-range circumstances, I think you have some nerve complaining on that issue.

I appreciate you haven't been incendiary, but you really should take a few days break on this subject, then go back and look at it again and try to be objective, because right now your views on this match are hopelessly one-sided.

Thanks for the well articulated reply, Megadodge. It's nice to be able to discuss this matter in a non-combative manner. You make some valid points. We'll have to agree to disagree on this matter. It's time to move on and I think Roscommon have the quality to win and the lessons they learned wrt their defence will assist IMO.

I have a feeling that many of the lads that played on Saturday will meet again, hopefully in Jones Rd on the 3rd Sunday of Sept.

Sincere best wishes in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Great photos. Definitely some good conditioning work has gone in looking at build of players and I'd expect lot of these lads will be able to handle senior football.
    Murtagh is only 19!!!! Beating Dublin in the final would give everyone a boost.
    If Roscommon have a competitive u21 team next year then the step up to solid Division 2 team will surely have been made which will be great progress from Division 4 at one stage. Im a believer that u21 is more important than minor but you dont have to necessarily win titles but be competitive to produce 3/4 players a year who are senior level. Then every second year a diamond like Murtagh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Murtagh is a very special forward and roscommon probably won't produce one like him for a very long while again.

but this current crop (2011 minors onward) have alot of talent and its the best group of young players coming through all at once in my time watching roscommon; donie smith, enda smith, tom corcoran, ultan harney, murtagh, ronan and conor daly

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Murtagh is a very special forward and roscommon probably won't produce one like him for a very long while again.

but this current crop (2011 minors onward) have alot of talent and its the best group of young players coming through all at once in my time watching roscommon; donie smith, enda smith, tom corcoran, ultan harney, murtagh, ronan and conor daly

I think Murt is an exceptional player but let's not forget the lad across the wing from him - when fully fit Donie's been just as deadly as Murt and could easily do a 'Murt' for us in the AI final.

Next year lads like Charlton, Gunning will be getting their chances while Diarmuid McGann and Henry Walsh should be starting to feature too. We have a good pipeline going right now. Walsh in particular is an exceptional ball player who with some good conditioning work could be special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Syferus wrote: »
    I think Murt is an exceptional player but let's not forget the lad across the wing from him - when fully fit Donie's been just as deadly as Murt and could easily do a 'Murt' for us in the AI final.

i like smith but he doesn't have killer instinct for me that murtagh has. when murtagh gets the ball there is only thing in his mind and that is getting a score, even at minor level donie would run down blind alleys and i can guarantee had murtagh had that chance donie missed in last years connacht final he wouldn't have hit the post...

we had such a great group at minor level between 2011 and 2013 than only winning two connachts was a massive disappointment. we let ourselves down in croke park in 2011 and how we lost to kerry in 2012 i will never know.

Advertisement