Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

sting60 wrote: »
    His movement of the bench is poor and All counties were happy when asked about the fixture.Clare people outnumbered Roscommon in every pup from what im told and the figures from Croke Park Hotel back that up as more drink was sold for first game than second.Dublin will play four half forwards that is for sure how will he cope.

I'd imagine more drink was sold for the first game because Cavan/Roscommon people were having their fill before watching their counties.

The support from Tipperary/Clare was very poor. The stand only 'filled' for the second match.

That said, I thought Cavan people far outnumbered the Rossies but we haven't as far to travel and no U21 final this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

@sting60 if Roscommon U-21s had a terrible manager they wouldn't have reached two All Ireland finals in three years. You are the same poster that was absurdly critical of Fergal O'Donnell last summer with the Roscommon minors. I suppose its the way you roll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

His movement of the bench is poor and All counties were happy when asked about the fixture.Clare people outnumbered Roscommon in every pup from what im told and the figures from Croke Park Hotel back that up as more drink was sold for first game than second.Dublin will play four half forwards that is for sure how will he cope.

Eh? We're happy to play at Croke Park but 7pm on a Saturday evening is never going to be a big draw for a county in Connacht and one in Ulster, great supporters or shíte supporters.

Clare people did not out-number Roscommon supporters. There was barely a thousand supporters shared between Tipp and Clare. I really should have took pictures of the premium bar for you before each two games because what you just said was so absolutely ridiculous I can't even believe you trotted it out. there were no lines before the Clare-Tipp game but the line was out to the stand door before the second game. If we're basing this on the empirical measurement that is drink sold I think what happens inside the effing stadium is more indicative than a bar across the road from the match. We hardly did much worse than Cavan and they had no 'excuse' about minding the petrol for tomorrow.

Nigel should have cleared the bench earlier but most of his impact players on the bench were either injured or starting - Fintan Sweeney, Kevin Finn, Cathal Compton, Ronan Daly and Niall McInerney started. All five have (or in Comp's case, would have) started championship games this year and none were on the bench against Cork.

Nigel knows better than you or I ever will that we need the bench to beat Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

@sting60 if Roscommon U-21s had a terrible manager they wouldn't have reached two All Ireland finals in three years. You are the same poster that was absurdly critical of Fergal O'Donnell last summer with the Roscommon minors. I suppose its the way you roll.
    Please explane you comments re finals,im totally lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Please explane you comments re finals,im totally lost.
    Explain?

You will be lost forever if you can't see the achievement of this Roscommon manager guiding his county to their second U-21 All Ireland final in three years. Something (open to correction) that no Roscommon underage manager has done before.

• Advertisement

Explain?

You will be lost forever if you can't see the achievement of this Roscommon manager guiding his county to their second U-21 All Ireland final in three years. Something (open to correction) that no Roscommon underage manager has done before.
    Explain, your previous comment I will be there shouting my county on but im not sure of the value of the nuance of the our manager,hope im wrong big time.

Explain?

We made finals in 66 and 69 and 78 and 82. Can't recall if the manager was the same in either case.

Have no doubt, Nigel has had as good a bunch of players we've ever produced to work with but his success has been in training them to a level of fluidity I've rarely seen. Hopefully it continues for another game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Best of luck today. After watching both teams, ye are the better side so hope ye push on and win it.

Half backs murdered Dublin playing a sweeper Dineen scratching his head,wow o wow dessie Farrell in a different planet to our sideline.Takes off a corner back when 12/1 down when the problem is out the field,my god what a manager.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

Yer not able for the Dubs here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I don't know what's going on here, I thought you were a much better team than you're showing today.

None of year backs is able to handle Mannion or McHugh

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I don't know what's going on here, I thought you were a much better team than you're showing today.

Thought Roscommon were a good side too. But they have been absolutely dominated in this game so far

1 point in the first half. disgraceful. Not going to win any game of football playing like that

Dineen is obviously saying Dublin are not playing fair they are running with the extra man from half back[I will take off a full back].But the great manager he is will try and keep the score down and play 17 players in the second half.Imagine Dessie Dolan with Ros and Dineen with Dublin.

Ye need to bring on some of the girls from ladies team. Get ye a few scores, better looking as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Ye need to bring on some of the girls from ladies team. Get ye a few scores, better looking as well :D

Jesus I'd love if we wiped the smugness of yer faces.

We just cant get the ball in to the full forward line at all. The dubs are playing very well in fairness though.

FT 24 - 15

Roscommon were no match for Dublin today. Dublin played well but Roscommon really let themselves down, particularly in the 1st half. I was expecting a tough contest considering how Roscommon played en route to the final, But they were noting to worry this Dublin team at the end of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Roscommon didn't turn up on the day.

Team seemed sluggish, no energy. Full back line played like 12 year olds.

Result will probably be used as a stick to beat both counties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

Unfortunately Roscommon didnt have that 16th man they had in the semi versus Cork.

Roscommon were totally out managed in the first half.We have a good side badly managed in a big way.

• Advertisement

The first half was one of the most heartbreaking halves of football I've ever witnessed. Totally cleaned out.

We showed signs of what we could do in the second half but it was all too late to mount a comeback.

Fantastic performance by Dublin, particularly the FF line whose accuracy was phenomenal. No excuses, well beat and deservedly so. Hard to explain how we could be so poor after playing so well all year. We had the experience and talent to be far better than that.

These lads have done us proud regardless of the result today. The mind can't switch to Leitrim fast enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Connorzee wrote: »
    Unfortunately Roscommon didnt have that 16th man they had in the semi versus Cork.

the sub they brought on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Terribly naive from Roscommon in the first half.It was obvious after about 5 minutes that the Dublins forwards had the beating of their markers and they were been given far too much space to play in.Surely Roscommon should have put a sweeper in front of the full back line to cut out some of the balls Dublin were sending in.

Roscommons warm up consisted almost entirely of short handpassing drills and stupidly they carried that into the match as their was too much handpassing from them when on a wet day in my opinion ball should be delivered into the forwards as quickly as possible, when they were more direct and ran hard at Dublin in the second half they looked like a good team but unfortunately it was too late for them.

Its a such a pity Roscommon couldn't have won considering the support they brought they outnumbered Dublin by about 10 to 1 and there didn't seem to be any Dublin fans in the stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    the sub they brought on?

Yeah he was yer best player.... Anthony Nolan right? Why was he wearing a black jersey that day? Did he have the roscommon one on underneath? :P;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

That was awful, we just **** in our pantses for the first half, dont know if it was the ocassion or the site of the dirty jacks but we couldnt make a simple pass, half of ros was there, the jacks seemed to lose interest in the second half otherwise theyd have trashed us all together

After 5 mins we needed a change at halfback and Dublin played a sweeper at Half back.We took off a full back when 12/1 down ???

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

sting60 and Syferus infracted for personal abuse, anything further will result in a severe ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

look, we got to the last two of a 31 team knockout competition.

So we didn't perform in the final. We were up against the most heavily resourced county in terms of finance, facilities and playing numbers

We'll take it on the chin and come back for more.

Leitrim is only two weeks away now. Conoreen clearly wasn't fully fit today. Hopefully he's ready for the Lovelies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i doubt conor daly is anywhere near the senior panel because he is nowhere near fit. i really have to ask what has happened to donie smith though. he seems to have regressed so much and is now almost unrecognisable from the player that played so well in the minor championship 2011 and run to the under 21 final in 2012.

a defeat like yesterday can be devastating but its up to the lads to learn from that and come back stronger. in 1990 tyrone lost to kerry by 10 points in the all ireland 21 final... a year later they beat kerry in the final by 20 points so its possible to turn these things around. dublin will be the team to beat again next year and i don't see anyone laying a finger on them reaching another final in 2015.

8 of our starting 15 are under-age again next year and we have some gifted players like walsh, compton and mccann from last years minors who should slot in with ease

Advertisement