Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i doubt conor daly is anywhere near the senior panel because he is nowhere near fit. i really have to ask what has happened to donie smith though. he seems to have regressed so much and is now almost unrecognisable from the player that played so well in the minor championship 2011 and run to the under 21 final in 2012.

a defeat like yesterday can be devastating but its up to the lads to learn from that and come back stronger. in 1990 tyrone lost to kerry by 10 points in the all ireland 21 final... a year later they beat kerry in the final by 20 points so its possible to turn these things around. dublin will be the team to beat again next year and i don't see anyone laying a finger on them reaching another final in 2015.

8 of our starting 15 are under-age again next year and we have some gifted players like walsh, compton and mccann from last years minors who should slot in with ease

U21 level can greatly change year to year. Dublin won it in 2012 and went out in the first round 2013. Galway won it in 2011 and iirc went out early in 2012.

What makes you think teams won't be "laying a finger" on Dublin next year? It appears because of the result yesterday you are greatly over estimating them.

They beat both Cavan and Meath but both teams gave them a good game. Even on the Dublin thread posters reckon this team wasn't as good as the 2010 or 2012 teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

At this age level they have a few huge advantages

1 Players living at home. Most of the Dublin panel are in college in Dublin, so don't have far to travel to train and the squad can get together and have mini training camps at certain periods. Compare that to the distances players from the likes of Ros have to travel just to get home

2 Facilities. No comparison with most counties in terms of gyms, recovery options, training fields, sport science, indoor halls.

3 Playing numbers. Even if the Dubs lose a few players they have a huge pool of players to dip into to replace.

4 Finance. No problem to bring in a few extra coaches, pay for extra equipment/facilities etc

I'm not being bitter. Just it'd be nice if the playing field was a bit more level in terms of finance and facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Lemlin wrote: »

What makes you think teams won't be "laying a finger" on Dublin next year? It appears because of the result yesterday you are greatly over estimating them.

because next year is when the 2012 class of dublin minors fully mature. the same minors that breezed through leinster beating meath by 3-17 to 1-11. the likes of costello, mchugh, scully, walsh will all be under 21 again next year.
    They beat both Cavan and Meath but both teams gave them a good game. Even on the Dublin thread posters reckon this team wasn't as good as the 2010 or 2012 teams.

giving someone a good game is all well and good (sligo and antrim gave kerry good games in 2009 senior championship, in fact sligo should have beat them), didn't stop kerry hammering dublin by 17 points and then comfortably beating cork (who had beaten them earlier in the year) come all ireland final day when they moved up 5 gears...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

TBH, Dublin's 2011 minor team was better than their AI winners of 2012.

This year's Dublin U21s had more than the 2012 team and that with Kilkenny injured and Shane Carthy unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Syferus wrote: »
    TBH, Dublin's 2011 minor team was better than their AI winners of 2012.
    I'm not sure about that. In 2011 Dublin were lucky to get past Galway in the semi final and then beaten by Tipp in the final. The 2012 Dublin minor team strolled to All Ireland win.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    because next year is when the 2012 class of dublin minors fully mature. the same minors that breezed through leinster beating meath by 3-17 to 1-11. the likes of costello, mchugh, scully, walsh will all be under 21 again next year.

giving someone a good game is all well and good (sligo and antrim gave kerry good games in 2009 senior championship, in fact sligo should have beat them), didn't stop kerry hammering dublin by 17 points and then comfortably beating cork (who had beaten them earlier in the year) come all ireland final day when they moved up 5 gears...

You have to put games in context though. Sligo and Antrim were early qualifier games for Kerry in 2009. They wouldbt be near peakng. This was an All Iteland semi final and a Leinster final for Dublin U21s. This Dublin team was by no means unbeatable and Cavan showed that.

Their strength was their forwards and Cavan had a very strong back line which was able to nullify it. We were also unlucky in that we lost our captain and key playmaker early in the game. And I won't even start on the referee.

I think Roscommon, at both senior and U21, need to improve their strategy. This tactic of "we'll score more than you" won't work against teams like Dublin and Kerry with star forward lines.

Roscommon were shown that yesterday. Cavan, on the other hand, need to work on our attacking side.

If you could take out backs and your forwards we'd have an All Ireland at both levels!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Lemlin wrote: »
    You have to put games in context though. Sligo and Antrim were early qualifier games for Kerry in 2009. They wouldbt be near peakng. This was an All Iteland semi final and a Leinster final for Dublin U21s. This Dublin team was by no means unbeatable and Cavan showed that.

Their strength was their forwards and Cavan had a very strong back line which was able to nullify it. We were also unlucky in that we lost our captain and key playmaker early in the game. And I won't even start on the referee.

I think Roscommon, at both senior and U21, need to improve their strategy. This tactic of "we'll score more than you" won't work against teams like Dublin and Kerry with star forward lines.

Roscommon were shown that yesterday. Cavan, on the other hand, need to work on our attacking side.

If you could take out backs and your forwards we'd have an All Ireland at both levels!

Cavan defended in numbers were disciplined (apart from Dillon) and didn't give Dublin the room to play the rossies did the opposite yesterday and paid the price. Even if Cavan had better forwards they would still be expected defend like the current forwards do.

Cavan defended in numbers were disciplined (apart from Dillon) and didn't give Dublin the room to play the rossies did the opposite yesterday and paid the price. Even if Cavan had better forwards they would still be expected defend like the current forwards do.

Indeed they would but we need a few forwards with a better cutting edge. We kicked a good few wides in that game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Connorzee wrote: »
    Unfortunately Roscommon didnt have that 16th man they had in the semi versus Cork.
    Connorzee wrote: »
    Yeah he was yer best player.... Anthony Nolan right? Why was he wearing a black jersey that day? Did he have the roscommon one on underneath? :P;)

bitter ****

It's just a pity we were so far behind.

I've neglected to watch the first half highlights.

• Advertisement

Roscommon team for first round of connacht championship against leitrim on sunday. just one change to the team that started against cavan. ciaran murtagh can count himself extremely lucky to be getting another chance given his younger brothers form right now and his own below par performance in croke park last time out.

1. Darren O'Malley
    2. Seanie McDermott
    3. Niall Carty
    4. Neil Collins
    5. David Keenan
    6. Niall Daly
    7. Ciaran Cafferkey
    8. Cathal Shine
    9. Kevin Higgins;
    10. David O'Gara
    11. Donie Shine
    12. Ronan Stack
    13. Senan Kilbride
    14. Cathal Cregg
    15. Ciaran Murtagh.

Leitrim (SFC v Roscommon) - Cathal McCrann; Barry Prior, Donal Wrynn, Paddy Maguire; Wayne McKeon, Gary Reynolds, Paul Brennan; Darren Sweeney, Damian Moran; Kevin Conlon, Robert Lowe, Barry McWeeney; Emlyn Mulligan, James Glancy, Sean McWeeney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Very quiet around here.
    I hope complacency hasn't crept in.

Leitrim will park the bus and hope to feed their isolated forwards.

Hit them early and force them to open up a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

No parking space left for the Leitrim bus!

photo-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

I think this game to be tight and tense in the 1st half Leitrim will play with numbers back and try to frustrate Roscommon, Leitrim might sneak a goal on the break and i would expect no more than score or two between the sides at the break. Roscommon will have to go with plan B which would possibly include the introduction of Diarmuid Murtagh,the Smith's and Finneran. Leitrim will become tired their fitness levels is unlikely to keep a high energy game going for 70 mins and they won't have the bench to match their opponents. A Roscommon goal midway through the 2nd half will end the contest and the Rossies should run out comfortable winners.

Roscommon 1-16 Leitrim 1-9.

That's a very high score for championship. I'd be happy with 0-13 or 0-14.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

That's a very high score for championship. I'd be happy with 0-13 or 0-14.

That might be fine in the first round but really no point thinking of Croke Park unless your forwards can put up at least 1-15 on a regular outing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Not on tv is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Ormus wrote: »
    Not on tv is it?

Think it's just a match from the Ulster championship.

Very quiet around here.
    I hope complacency hasn't crept in.

Hit them early and force them to open up a bit.

i have seen neutrals on here predict roscommon winning by as much as 12-14 points and i simply can't see that happening. leitrim and roscommon especially in the hyde is always tight and leitrim (both the fans and players) always treat roscommon as a team they can not only beat but expect to beat.

leitrim will try to crowd out shine and kilbride like they have in the past and they themselves have a few decent forwards that can score as evidenced by this

Ormus wrote: »
    Not on tv is it?

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

so then....we won?
    any one who was at the match feel like enlightening us as to how our championship preparation is shaping up.?

• Advertisement

We've the forwards to beat most teams, as long as the ball is delivered accurately and early to them.

The defence is a bit loose and they need to tighten up on their marking of each man. Leitrim didn't really run at us yesterday at pace, which Mayo will try to do which is our achilles heel.

very good in the first half both going forward and defending. all of leitrims first half scores came from frees. however as soon as cathal shine went off injured we lost the battle around the middle and leitrim were much the better side in the second half with mulligan in particular causing us alot of problems.

if we play like we played in the second half against mayo its not going to be pretty viewing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

I agree with nice guy, we certainly have scoring forwards and in the first half we were able to find them very quickly with early ball. In the second half Leitrim's full back line tightened up considerably plus the ball wasn't going in quite as quickly.

Our full back line are still our best line. Very solid.

I'm quite worried about our half-back line. Firstly they're too loose and secondly they're quite vulnerable when opponent's run at them. Need to improve plus have someone covering them.

Midfield is quite good. The breaking ball is improving all the time, but it was Leitrim, in fairness, Mayo will be much sharper there. I think Cathal Shine was just ok yesterday, but as mentioned once he went off Ros weren't winning as much ball there. I still believe he's the right man to neutralise Aidan O'Shea, as he's done it before and that's an important part in stopping Mayo.

It was a mixed performance, but that's understandable as when you're up by 10 points at half-time you know the game is over, no matter what's said in the dressing-room.

I don't think we'll beat Mayo but I certainly expect a good performance with Mayo maybe winning by 4-5 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71 ✭✭lancerwall

was it just me or was the referee yesterday very poor thought he got alot of decision's wrong. Ros were average over all, hopefully now they can make a game of it against mayo as there is a bit of confidence in the team after a good league and a good first half yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

lancerwall wrote: »
    was it just me or was the referee yesterday very poor thought he got alot of decision's wrong. Ros were average over all, hopefully now they can make a game of it against mayo as there is a bit of confidence in the team after a good league and a good first half yesterday

I seldom ever comment on a ref, but I agree that yesterday he was not good for Roscommon. Some ridiculously soft frees in Leitrim's favour and obvious ones not given to Roscommon.

With injuries mounting up I doubt we have much of a chance vs the Mayo machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

With injuries mounting up I doubt we have much of a chance vs the Mayo machine.

whose on the treatment table/definately ruled out?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

whose on the treatment table/definately ruled out?

Looking like David Keenan will be out following hamstring injury picked up in a club game with st Barry's at the weekend..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rmcn

With the Roscommon Championship only 2 weeks away, who do we think will win it? Brigids to retain again or is it someone else's time?

Group A
    Clann na nGael
    Castlerea
    Roscommon Gaels
    Kilmore

Group B
    Brigids
    Pearses
    Boyle
    Elphin

Group C
    Western Gaels
    Strokestown
    St. Faithleachs
    St. Aidans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Gunneros

rmcn wrote: »
    With the Roscommon Championship only 2 weeks away, who do we think will win it? Brigids to retain again or is it someone else's time?

Group A
    Clann na nGael
    Castlerea
    Roscommon Gaels
    Kilmore

Group B
    Brigids
    Pearses
    Boyle
    Elphin

Group C
    Western Gaels
    Strokestown
    St. Faithleachs
    St. Aidans

Brigids seem to be going pretty well but still some uncertainty over availability of a few players supposedly travelling for summer. Clann are beginning to look very strong and will fancy their chances this year. Honestly can't see any other team realistically challenging.

Advertisement