Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭razor425

a half fit carty is better than a fully fit collins at fullback

I'm not so sure, certainly a fully fit Carty is better, but I think Collins would probably be a better choice for the Galway game.
    Have you seen him this year? I was convinced he had no place on the team the last two years but the man has been reborn under Newton, he's as tenacious a defender as we have, has removed the fouling from his game and makes plenty of driving runs up the wing. He's been a leader on the team this year, and don't give me the line about 'the league not mattering', Dineen was never playing at this high a level before.

Unfortunately I have only seen him in action once this year, admittedly he was quite good on the day. Having said that he is still behind Daly imo. Daly is consisently good almost every game, I see no reason to play Dineen ahead of him. Yes he might be playing the best fotball of his career but that still puts him behind Daly in my view. Also his tenacity can be his downfall often times as in the Connacht final last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

razor425 wrote: »
    I'm not so sure, certainly a fully fit Carty is better, but I think Collins would probably be a better choice for the Galway game.

Unfortunately I have only seen him in action once this year, admittedly he was quite good on the day. Having said that he is still behind Daly imo. Daly is consisently good almost every game, I see no reason to play Dineen ahead of him. Yes he might be playing the best fotball of his career but that still puts him behind Daly in my view. Also his tenacity can be his downfall often times as in the Connacht final last year.

Again, Domican was picked over Daly, not Dineen, whose position was solidified - rightly - weeks ago. Daly's played alot of football this year with UCC (who were also involved in the club championship until late November), the seniors and the u21s, Newton is taking the right approach in not asking him to start his first championship game two weeks after losing an All-Ireland final. He'll be be on the field when he's needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

two great wins for Roscommon over the weekend

first the minors beat Galway in extra time

then from nowhere the seniors beat Armagh

One of the sweetest weekends for the county in a long time! Now let's repeat the trick in two weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Still cannot for the life of me get over that Armagh result, unbelievable... just our luck we get Tyrone in the Hyde in two weeks, im not sure i like the whole seeding craic in the qualifiers...unseeded draws could produce quality matchups as early as round two but the GAA doesnt want to lose a big team this early in the year if they can help it..

Not a fear of winning that match tbh but id be happy with a good showing. At least we're constantly ending our season against a high level of sides, the more we play the likes of tyrone and cork the better it is for a young team. Keep banging on the door and it'll open sooner or later

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    Still cannot for the life of me get over that Armagh result, unbelievable... just our luck we get Tyrone in the Hyde in two weeks, im not sure i like the whole seeding craic in the qualifiers...unseeded draws could produce quality matchups as early as round two but the GAA doesnt want to lose a big team this early in the year if they can help it..

Not a fear of winning that match tbh but id be happy with a good showing. At least we're constantly ending our season against a high level of sides, the more we play the likes of tyrone and cork the better it is for a young team. Keep banging on the door and it'll open sooner or later

We can win this one. Sean Kavanagh was the entirety of the difference between the teams last year and he's gone, as is Brian Dooher and some of the old guard that came on and steadied Tyrone's ship in the second half of that game. Couple that with comprehensively outplaying Armagh (if we had even a decent conversion rate we would have registered north of 20 points) and we've got a team with plenty of belief and absolutely nothing to lose. Why wait for the future?

It'll be another fantastic battle and the start of one of the biggest weekends in the county town's history.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Syferus wrote: »
    We can win this one. Sean Kavanagh was the entirety of the difference between the teams last year and he's gone, as is Brian Dooher and some of the old guard that came on and steadied Tyrone's ship in the second half in that game. Couple that with comprehensively outplaying Armagh (if we had even a decent conversion rate we would have registered north of 20 points) and we've got a team with plenty of belief and absolutely nothing to lose. Why wait for the future?

It'll be another fantastic battle and the start of one of the biggest weekends in the county town's history.

Fair point, and i'd be a lot more confident playing them at home than in Croker where we tend to fold late on... Still find it hard to bet against them mind, team in decline as they are i'd still go with Harte and the experienced heads like Gormley, McMenamin, Mulligan and Penrose... that and Roscommon very rarely beat big sides at senior level, Armagh being probably the biggest upset since Cork a decade ago - Tyrone are another step entirely. i'd be delighted to keep it close

Roscommon need to return to old fashioned football

hit them hard and nail them out the field and keep the score down.
    when we matched Armagh yesterday in the physical stakes they didn't know what to do
    We don't have 15 players of top inter county quality to beat teams playing open football

we have 9-10 very good players.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Roscommon need to return to old fashioned football

hit them hard and nail them out the field and keep the score down.
    when we matched Armagh yesterday in the physical stakes they didn't know what to do
    We don't have 15 players of top inter county quality to beat teams playing open football

we have 9-10 very good players.

I think going forward we certainly have the players capable of going toe-to-toe with the top counties, last year's Tyrone match being a gaudy example of that.

We just need to combine yesterday's all-action defensive display with the scoring ability we showed last year and we'll be a very tough team to deal with.

Add in the raft of under-age talent coming through and we've got plenty of reasons to believe Armagh won't be the only big scalp we'll take in the years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

Fair play to Ros. Everyone (including me) had written ye off. After yesterday I was kinda hoping that Galway wouldn't get drawn against ye :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

I think going forward we certainly have the players capable of going toe-to-toe with the top counties, last year's Tyrone match being a gaudy example of that.

Sorry now but if thats really the case then why say this?
    Couple that with comprehensively outplaying Armagh (if we had even a decent conversion rate we would have registered north of 20 points)

I've seen ye play against Galway and most of ye're forwards had a bad day, Cathal Cregg excepted. If you struggled somewhat to put up scores against Galway and Armagh, how in heck can you keep it up against Dublin, Cork and even Tyrone? No offence meant by this but your forwards aren't that good, yet at least. Despite this ye have bucket loads of potential and I suspect that 2/3 years down the line ye will be winning Connachts and making Quarter Finals with relative ease.
    We just need to combine yesterday's all-action defensive display with the scoring ability we showed last year and we'll be a very tough team to deal with.

Again ye struggled to get scores against Mayo in the Connacht final before giving a good account of yourselves against Tyrone.
    Add in the raft of under-age talent coming through and we've got plenty of reasons to believe Armagh won't be the only big scalp we'll take in the years to come.

Your dead right about that!

I wouldn't rule out a shock with Roscommon playing at home, but I think Tyrone will be a step up from Armagh. I reckon there'll be only 3 points in it.

Well it's about having seen yesterday's game and last year's Tyrone game, something only people at the grounds would have seen thanks to RTE's kamikaze highlights packages.

It was poor shooting that stopped us from completely dominating Armagh, not Armagh themselves. We broke their lines dozens of times in the first and second half, the difference in the first being we were allowing Armagh too much time to find Jamie Clarke. The Tyrone match last year is one of the best examples of how crisp our attacking play can be - we scored 17 points against one the top five counties in the country, a score that'd have won you most matches, but loose defending cost us. Armagh were, to be honest, handled rather easily in the second half.

It was a good result but people outside the county are probably hyping up beating Armagh too much - it was a lop-sided performance in some ways and the sort you'd be looking to improve upon the next day, we certainly didn't play to our full potential yesterday. We know we can compete with Tyrone; combining yesterday's defensive play and last year's attacking play would net a victory.

Well it's about having seen yesterday's game and last year's Tyrone game, something only people at the grounds would have seen thanks to RTE's kamikaze highlights packages.

It was poor shooting that stopped us from completely dominating Armagh, not Armagh themselves. We broke their lines dozens of times in the first and second half, the difference in the first being we were allowing Armagh too much time to find Jamie Clarke. The Tyrone match last year is one of the best examples of how crisp our attacking play can be - we scored 17 points against one the top five counties in the country, a score that'd have won you most matches, but loose defending cost us. Armagh were, to be honest, handled rather easily in the second half.

It was a good result but people outside the county are probably hyping up beating Armagh too much - it was a lop-sided performance in some ways and the sort you'd be looking to improve upon the next day, we certainly didn't play to our full potential yesterday. We know we can compete with Tyrone; combining yesterday's defensive play and last year's attacking play would net a victory.

Its certainly good to see that Roscommon learned something from their very poor first day out. I'd echo that Roscommon fans would want to keep their feet on the ground. All you can ask for is improvement and your fans certainly got that, hopefully ye can get some more. Whether it'll be enough to topple Tyrone remains to be seen but I suspect its too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Great confidence-boosting win to knock out Armagh, but bear in mind this is not a good armagh team. That said, Tyrone are a team in decline too and are very beatable, especially as ye have them in the Hyde again. Don't read too much into the Armagh game, they're not the force they were a few years ago. But fair play to the Ros lads for bouncing back from a very bad day at the office against Galway, they deserve credit for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 frojay

Have to laugh at this 'Tyrone are in decline' crap. We've half a team out injured and we'll still mop the floor with ye. I'm already looking ahead to the next round.

frojay wrote: »
    Have to laugh at this 'Tyrone are in decline' crap. We've half a team out injured and we'll still mop the floor with ye. I'm already looking ahead to the next round.

Tyrone are at the very least in transition and injuries certainly are taking their toll. How many players are missing at the moment? I can think of the obvious ones like Sean Cavanagh and Kyle Coney.

Tyrone are more vulnerable than you think. Talk down Roscommon all you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

frojay wrote: »

Years ago Tyrone were one of the All Ireland contenders they had a team that even Kerry feared however this Tyrone side will be lucky to reach or get past the quarter finals & that fear factor is long since gone.

As for Roscommon they deserve great credit for wining against the odds last Sunday but to pull off another shock is a rare sight for underdogs.

I'm sticking my troll alert hat on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 ireland01

So, it was a great result even if the game was riddled with mistakes for large parts but a few days have past and i was wondering what changes would ye make for the tyrone game?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The idea that Tyrone are a step up from Armagh is incorrect. The best Tyrone team that Roscommon will have to face (i.e. one that will be missing Cavanagh, Coney and O'Neill) is a touch better than a full strength Armagh team, which admittedly Roscommon didn't face either.

Basically, a performance to the top end of Roscommon's range will have them well within reach of Tyrone assuming they don't ship soft goals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

keane2097 wrote: »
    The idea that Tyrone are a step up from Armagh is incorrect. The best Tyrone team that Roscommon will have to face (i.e. one that will be missing Cavanagh, Coney and O'Neill) is a touch better than a full strength Armagh team, which admittedly Roscommon didn't face either.

Basically, a performance to the top end of Roscommon's range will have them well within reach of Tyrone assuming they don't ship soft goals.

Would a fit Coney even start with Mulligan,S O’Neill,McGuigan now back? admittedly very few sides are at full strength take Roscommon for example a number of their players left the panel after the Galway defeat & after been out injured two of their best players only came on as subs v Armagh.

Over the last 2-3 years the only team's that has beaten Tyrone in the championship has been Donegal,Dublin while Armagh's record since their 2008 Ulster title has been pretty average to say the least.

Tyrone are step up they have better forwards,defenders,midfield & most importantly have one of the best managers around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Last year it was the bonestorming runs of Cavanagh that outdone Roscommon. They still would have lost but would have been more respectable. Roscommon are better than they were last year, Tyrone are not as good as they were last year. If the lads are up for it like last year or like against Armagh, they will win or run them very very close

Last year it was the bonestorming runs of Cavanagh that outdone Roscommon. They still would have lost but would have been more respectable. Roscommon are better than they were last year, Tyrone are not as good as they were last year. If the lads are up for it like last year or like against Armagh, they will win or run them very very close
    what are smoking?
    Roscommon were a far better team last year all through the league and the championships games

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    what are smoking?
    Roscommon were a far better team last year all through the league and the championships games

better players, and i think the mood would be better after defeating Armagh as opposed to losing to Mayo. as for the league, division 4 last year as opposed to to fighting for promotion in division 3

Even with a few players on holidays we've a better panel of players - indeed the one of the two key players that left on a J1 was actually injured until the Tyrone game last year - with some excellent u21s from this year and last being bedded in and we played D4 football last season, where we never really had to dig deep apart from a cracker in Aughrim. The Armagh victory is ten times more significant a result than anything we did last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Would a fit Coney even start with Mulligan,S O’Neill,McGuigan now back?

Zero doubt about it, Ronan O'Neill would start as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Stating to have a good feeling about this game. Nobody will give us a chance and we can sneak under the radar. Need a MASSIVE crowd in the Hyde, show those nordies no respect and intiminidate them with the roaring and shouting. We should be afriad of noone anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Stating to have a good feeling about this game. Nobody will give us a chance and we can sneak under the radar. Need a MASSIVE crowd in the Hyde, show those nordies no respect and intiminidate them with the roaring and shouting. We should be afriad of noone anymore
    Roaring and shouting.:D

Bet the Kerry fellas wish they thought of that.:rolleyes:

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Roaring and shouting.:D

Bet the Kerry fellas wish they thought of that.:rolleyes:

The only bad thing about when we win will be that everyone will pull the same charade as with Armagh; "sure aren't Tyrone old and washed up? Totally over-rated!".

Can't get no respect. Maybe you'll fight our corner with us.

• Advertisement

Roscommon could learn a thing or two from the Galway Hurlers yesterday.

If the Roscommon team go out with intensity, self belief and a game plan they can topple Tyrone. Plenty of the younger players should hold no fear of any county as many of them have played at the higher echelons of football at under age. Tyrone should hold no fear.
    A lot may also depend on what Tyrone team turns up. If the team that played Donegal and Armagh turns up they'll be in trouble. On the other hand if the Tyrone team that steam rolled Division 2 turns up Roscommon will have their work cut out.

Advertisement