Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Syferus wrote: »
    Three big matches on it in eight days. Put up or shut up time for the CB. Mayo and Dublin senior games won't be moved.

For me the U21 final is now the biggest game by far scheduled for the Hyde but it's also the one where I can see the Prenty Council pushing for a move (they have power on that one whereas the NFL is centrally organised meaning the host county is the one who gets to make the venue choice) if there was a question mark over the Hyde.
    Yup Mayo n Dubs games won't be moved CB couldn't afford that but U21 would be a worry.Hopefully the weather holds for the next 13 days and we get the 3 games outta the way.Be no problems after that and let the CB get the finger out and get a new surface laid in July be perfect in time for NFL 2017.
    Oh and the sooner that **** is outta the picture the better for Roscommon and Connacht football in general.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 60 ✭✭Mexcanelo

Its great to see Roscommon on this run of form. Hopefully they can keep it going into the games against Mayo and Dublin at home.

I think they could take the Connacht title this season, and if they can replicate their performances of the League into the Championship, Who knows what they can achieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

yabadabado wrote: »
    Yup Mayo n Dubs games won't be moved CB couldn't afford that but U21 would be a worry.Hopefully the weather holds for the next 13 days and we get the 3 games outta the way.Be no problems after that and let the CB get the finger out and get a new surface laid in July be perfect in time for NFL 2017.
    Oh and the sooner that **** is outta the picture the better for Roscommon and Connacht football in general.

Think there is a lot of rain promised from tonight right through the Easter weekend.
    Is the playing pitch being moved laterally a bit to bring it closer to the new stand, knocking some of the concrete seating at the front of it? Heard that at work the other day

I think a late pitch change is a strong possibility for both games. I believe alternative venues have already been arranged should the call be made. The games against Monaghan and Down were scheduled for The Hyde but were moved a few days before the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Mexcanelo wrote: »
    I think a late pitch change is a strong possibility for both games. I believe alternative venues have already been arranged should the call be made. The games against Monaghan and Down were scheduled for The Hyde but were moved a few days before the game.

Down match was playable but it was being saved for Mayo/Dublin. Both games will be going ahead, at this stage the Hyde is one of the most pristine pitches in the country with next to no match played on it since October.

• Advertisement

Down match was playable but it was being saved for Mayo/Dublin. Both games will be going ahead, at this stage the Hyde is one of the most pristine pitches in the country with next to no match played on it since October.

They will certainly be under pressure from their own fans and business in Roscommon town to hold the games there. It would be a huge lose to, pubs, shops, hotels, restaurants etc if they were moved again.

They will certainly be under pressure from their own fans and business in Roscommon town to hold the games there. It would be a huge lose to, pubs, shops, hotels, restaurants etc if they were moved again.

The gate for the 2 NFL games will be worth over 200K to the CB they can't afford to lose that and I'd say that cash is already earmarked.
    The Hyde should be fine and its in as good of condition or better than some that we have played on already.

This has got to be a huge lesson to the CB they can't afford to piss about over the next 6 months and not get a new surface relaid in time for 2017 NFL the **** this year has cost them badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Slogger24

Bar Mchale park.The Hyde is the worst County pitch ive ever seen /played on..Ive seen smoother Bogs!

Slogger24 wrote: »
    Bar Mchale park.The Hyde is the worst County pitch ive ever seen /played on..Ive seen smoother Bogs!

Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada is the alternative venue.

These 2 games will be in Roscommon. I'd have no doubt about it now.

• Advertisement

Páirc Seán Mac Diarmada is the alternative venue.

At least they have a smooth playing surface. With a bit more care it could be a really good pitch..An there facilities for players are very good..Unlike HYDE.Again possibly the worst in Ireland..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

At least they have a smooth playing surface. With a bit more care it could be a really good pitch..An there facilities for players are very good..Unlike HYDE.Again possibly the worst in Ireland..

Instead of building a fancy stadium like in Offaly we built a team instead!
    How many counties are now jealous of where our senior team is going?

Spending large amounts on a big county ground, in a small rural county like Roscommon, which won't play host to many neutral games doesn't make sense. The place needs to be downsized.
    Yes we need a decent pitch to play on.

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Spending large amounts on a big county ground, in a small rural county like Roscommon, which won't play host to many neutral games doesn't make sense. The place needs to be downsized.
    Or we could blow our load on a ****e ground that we can't afford and then look to HQ to bail us out.
    Sound familiar :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lets all just take a minute and re-read the bit in bold again.

Lets revisit this post sometime in the summer, because it's in summer that counties get jealous of where other senior teams are going, not in March.

Ill go back to my 1st comment , on the mere fact that yer pitch is a bog.. Most club grounds are better!! Doesnt take alot either to invest in some decent changing facilities. How much did it cost to put them seats in the Stand??

An dont judge yer team on Been Built yet, winning a couple of League games is a start.But the season is young.Judge when yer finished...

@yabadabado as much an all as i agree with u, it is still 1000 times better than hyde!

@yabadabado as much an all as i agree with u, it is still 1000 times better than hyde!

Of course it is and it would want to be but 19m was wasted all because a few people's egos had to be massaged.
    Mayo could have done a lovely job on that ground with the cash instead ye have a completely lopsided stadium,one huge stand that's too big and then crap concrete seating around the rest.
    The Hyde is a disgrace now but hopefully within 18months -2 years things will be much improved .I'd only love if Ros found 20m to upgrade but it's not gonna happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Ill go back to my 1st comment , on the mere fact that yer pitch is a bog.. Most club grounds are better!! Doesnt take alot either to invest in some decent changing facilities. How much did it cost to put them seats in the Stand??

An dont judge yer team on Been Built yet, winning a couple of League games is a start.But the season is young.Judge when yer finished...

These comments have been worth the three year wait.

Nothing gets the Rhubarb hordes roiled quite like a confident Roscommon team minding its own business.

18 million debt and the rest of Connacht paying for it

Go back to the Mayo forum

These comments have been worth the three year wait.

Nothing gets the Rhubarb hordes roiled quite like a confident Roscommon team minding its own business.

What exactly are ye confident of???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Lets revisit this post sometime in the summer, because it's in summer that counties get jealous of where other senior teams are going, not in March.
    March it is but i think its time to give credit where credit is due

As far as i know Roscommon border a lot of counties are neighbours to Galway,Sligo,Leitrim,Westmeath,Offaly,Longford now while i wouldn't use the word "Jealous" i do think those six counties would love to be in Roscommon's position at the moment e.g on the verge of Div 1 semi final and having beaten Kerry in Killarney,hammered Cork on their home patch and got impressive win up in Letterkenny.

What really needs to be revisited here is where Roscommon seniors have come from. Only five short years ago they were playing the likes Carlow,London and Kilkenny in Div 4 and only last summer they suffered two potentially damaging defeats that would have knocked another more fragile county flat on their feet.

This is Roscommon's first year in Div one for 13 years and they have taken the challenge of Div one football on with new management which Cork,Down and Mayo have found out this year is not easily done. What i find most remarkable about Roscommon's league campaign is they have gone about their business so well even though some key players David Keenan,Niall Carty,Diarmuid Murtagh,Donal Shine,Kevin Higgins etc haven't played single minute due to injury.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭JPF82

Just let the results on the pitch do the talking. Doing well, but we have won nothing yet so we shouldn't get too big for our boots. Let other counties insult and mock us, but let's not reduce ourselves to their level by throwing insults either.

I see a certain clown deleted his post:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

We had Pantibliss lined up to sing a song at half time and everything, but obviously Tom wouldn't be happy. Roscommon says NO indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

40b2366c-5b85-4f19-abfe-e92a7713061e.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Rawhead wrote: »
    We had Pantibliss lined up to sing a song at half time and everything, but obviously Tom wouldn't be happy. Roscommon says NO indeed.

You can't have Panti involved. That would be entirely inappropriate and would only antagonise the locals. He has committed the worst sin of all. He's from Mayo FFS !

My point was that everyone was tipping us to get relegated, but now that we're doing well most people I meet are delighted for Ros.
    Fellas involved with clubs and county squads in other counties are very envious of the production line of talent we appear to have from minor through U21 and are very complimentary to the hard work that goes on.

Yes, there are a lot of people waiting to kick us if things go pear shaped (this is Roscommon, they usually do - see 2015), but most genuine GAA people are eager for progressive counties to do well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

My point was that everyone was tipping us to get relegated, but now that we're doing well most people I meet are delighted for Ros.
    Fellas involved with clubs and county squads in other counties are very envious of the production line of talent we appear to have from minor through U21 and are very complimentary to the hard work that goes on.

Yes, there are a lot of people waiting to kick us if things go pear shaped (this is Roscommon, they usually do - see 2015), but most genuine GAA people are eager for progressive counties to do well

Not everyone :)

From the National Football League 2016 Discussion
    I also think that Roscommon will surprise many and stay up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

seeing as tod posts here i will try to address this question
    How many of Roscommons starting 15 on Sunday are likely to be championship starters ?
    Remember the likes of Mayo, Kerry and Dublin have a lot of important guys still to come back.

nobody knows the answer to this in truth. if you take this match from 2 years ago http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2014/0608/622370-roscommon-mayo/

niall carty, ciaran cafferkey, kevin higgins, david o'gara and donal shine haven't played one second in the league. cathal shine has only seen 31 minutes of league action and diarmuid murtagh (imo best young player in the county) who came on and scored 3 points that day hasn't seen any league action so far either.

12 players (listed below) that started a championship game in 2015 played no part against donegal last time out (either starting or coming on as sub), so your guess is as good as mine who will line out come championship time

1.Darren O'Malley (gk)
    2.Niall Carty
    3.Donal Ward
    4.Ronan Daly
    5.David Keenan
    6.Ciaran Cafferky (likely won't play in 2016 championship due to injury)
    7.Cathal Shine
    8.Ian Kilbride
    9.Kevin Higgins
    10.Ultan Harney
    11.Donie Shine
    12.Diarmuid Murtagh

rossie1977 wrote: »
    seeing as tod posts here i will try to address this question

nobody knows the answer to this in truth. if you take this match from 2 years ago

niall carty, ciaran cafferkey, kevin higgins, david o'gara and donal shine haven't played one second in the league. cathal shine has only seen 31 minutes of league action and diarmuid murtagh (imo best young player in the county) who came on and scored 3 points that day hasn't seen any league action so far either.

12 players (listed below) that started a championship game in 2015 played no part against donegal last time out (either starting or coming on as sub), so your guess is as good as mine who will line out come championship time

1.Darren O'Malley (gk)
    2.Niall Carty
    3.Donal Ward
    4.Ronan Daly
    5.David Keenan
    6.Ciaran Cafferky (likely won't play in 2016 championship due to injury)
    7.Cathal Shine
    8.Ian Kilbride
    9.Kevin Higgins
    10.Ultan Harney
    11.Donie Shine
    12.Diarmuid Murtagh

I would completely disregard the 2015 championship team as any indication of Roscommon's team for Championship 2016. Its a new management team, a new system. 2015 is in the past. Roscommon are looking to the future.

I believe the vast majority of this league team will continue on into the championship.

You list is all wrong. Conor Daly played against Donegal, He scored 3 points, he was one of Roscommon's best players until he was wrongfully black carded and replaced by Niall Kilroy

Ian Kilbride has played in every other league game, and he has been brilliant in midfield. A minor injury kept him out of the Donegal game. He will be back for the Mayo game and beyond.

Cathal Shine and Harney are on the bench, Ready to come in when the call comes,

Everyone else on your list is either injured or simply don't make the cut.

For me Roscommon strongest starting 15 is.

1.G. Claffey

2. S.McDermott
    3. N.Collins
    4. N.McInerney

5. C.Daly
    6. D.Keenan
    7. D.Murray

8. E.Smith
    9. I.Kilbride

10. F.Gregg
    11. D.Murtagh
    12. C.Devaney

13. C.Connolly
    14. S.Kilbride
    15. C.Gregg

• Advertisement

Greggs?

anyway, you cannot drop Ciaran Murtagh. He's captain and has been very consistent.
    considering we beat Donegal the last day without an orthodox midfielder shows where the game is now going - mobility and scrapping for ball, less high fielding

Advertisement