Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Its all about believing we can win it and I firmly think we can and we will. i don't mean we should start shouting and rparing for the sakes of it but to make rhe atmosphere very imitating for the nordies, getting everyone singing songs . I remember the hospotal end years ago went fellas had accordins up there anf the craic was savage. hope its going to a fine day on Saturday as it will suit us better,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

a big well done to ours minors today, first time ever to win back to back connacht titles at this level and beating mayo and galway on the way to both is something no rossie minor team has ever done, add in two connacht minor league titles last two years as well and the achievements of these young lads is all the more impressive, 16 matches, 15 wins 1 draw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Out-of-focus but what the hell:

rossieconnacht4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭razor425

Championship Quarter Final Draws:
    Senior:
    1) Roscommon Gaels v St. Faithleachs

2) Elphin v Clann na nGael

3) Castlerea St. Kevins v Padraig Pearses

4) St. Brigids v Western Gaels

Semi-Finals:
    2 v 4
    1 v 3

Intermediate:
    1) Tulsk/St Barrys v St. Aidans

2) Kilglass Gaels v St. Dominics

3) St. Michaels v Clann na nGael B

4) Éire Óg v Boyle

Semi-Finals:
    2 v 3
    1 v 4

Senior final will be between Brigids and Faithleachs I think. Have only seen Bridigs once this year but they should get over Western Gaels handy enough I think. Clann or Elphin could cause them some problems in the semi but I still see them pushing through. On the other side of the draw I think Faithleachs should easily dispose of Ros Gaels and Castlerea should have enough to get by Pearses. Tight semi between these two but I see Faithleachs scraping through.

With regard to the intermediate, Aidans will be in the final but who joins them from the other side is a bit of a lottery. Aidans should easily beat Tulsk/St.Barrys and then should have enough to dispose of Boyle who I believe will scrape past Eire Og. On the other side I'm not so sure. Great chance for Clann B, Michaels or Kilglass to get to the decider considering how poor Dominics have been this year. Maybe someone knows more about this than me?

Be interesting to hear the opinions of others.

Eire Og-Boyle has the potential to produce the intermediate champions, drew in the group stages and I'd have fancied both to have a serious stab at making the final if they'd been drawn on separate sides. The sheer stupidity of the open draw system doesn't reward performance at all and allows two teams from the same group meet in QFs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

As a neutral it is a pity Western Gaels and Brigids are meeting so early - but I suppose it gives the other teams a bit of a better chance.

I suppose bar the biggest upset - since all the Brigids defeats between 97 and 2005 :) - well bar that we are only looking for the runner up really.

Exciting to be at this stage of the Championship though, to see what teams up their game. Pity the Pearses game is clashing with the All Ireland Under 21 B final, but I suppose there is so much conjestion with fixtures at the moment.

Some questions if Cathal Cregg's 60 day exemption will have expired or not by the time the Brigid's game takes place. Would be a shame if perhaps the best player in the county has to sit and watch his club play the Roscommon and Connacht champions in knock-out football. Faithleach's and Clann look to be ahead of Western anyways and Castlerea are a sleeping giant, I wouldn't be placing Western as the clear #2 team at all.

Syferus wrote: »
    Eire Og-Boyle has the potential to produce the intermediate champions, drew in the group stages and I'd have fancied both to have a serious stab at making the final if they'd been drawn on separate sides. The sheer stupidity of the open draw system doesn't reward performance at all and allows two teams from the same group meet in QFs.

Not sure I agree with that, personally I think Aidans will win the championship easy enough. Boyle are probably their biggest challengers but after that I don't see much between any of the others. I saw Eire Og in their final group game against Barrys where both teams were very poor and can't see them stopping Boyle based on that performance. With regard the open draw the majority of teams agreed to that earlier in the year so no-one can have any complaints now. I agree that some teams got a bit of a raw deal but on the flip side it leaves the other side of the draw very open, with the distinct possibility of a new team in the final for a change.

Syferus wrote: »
    Some questions if Cathal Cregg's 60 day exemption will have expired or not by the time the Brigid's game takes place. Would be a shame if perhaps the best player in the county has to sit and watch his club play the Roscommon and Connacht champions in knock-out football. Faithleach's and Clann look to be ahead of Western anyways and Castlerea are a sleeping giant, I wouldn't be placing Western as the clear #2 team at all.

I would agree with this, Faithleachs are certainly ahead of Western from what I have seen and Clann are probably also ahead of them. The sleeping giant term could also be applied to Elphin and I feel they will have a good go at Clann.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭rn

I think Pearses could upset the neturals (and Castlerea) in that game - Castlerea were extremely poor in Johnstown a couple of weeks ago - even after they got a savage start to the game. Faithleachs are likely to come out of that group, but its not as straightforward as the other side. Brigids for the other final spot ( fingers crossed for Clann though!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭gaelic cowboy

Any word on the fate of Des Newton is he going to step down or be forced??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

What kind of team do ye have with the minor hurlers this year? Normally strong at this level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

not bad.

7 of last year's team that lost to Meath in the final.

Ros are doing very well to compete with Kerry, Meath, Kildare, Armagh considering there are only 7 underage clubs in the county

• Registered Users Posts: 16,536 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Any word on the fate of Des Newton is he going to step down or be forced??

Hopefully he steps down, wouldn't like to see him forced out but I don't think he is the man for the job .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Roscommon are always strong at this level at minor and Under 21 its strange though they dont have more success at seinor level

Only a few clubs play hurling. It'd need to be a Offally stars-align moment for us to be even entertain thoughts of reaching the Liam McCarthy Cup. Some of our best players, like Niall Kilroy, also play football and if there's opportunities available in both the player is almost always going to chose the #1 sport.

Newton has stepped down as manager.county board better get this next appointment right.

Very important decision regarding new manager. Need someone with intercounty experience in my opinion, preferably with some experience of bringing through some younger, inexperienced players.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,769 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The job would probably suit someone like Luke Dempsey.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Good ridance to Newton, and time for the country board to get their act together and show some ambitions.. What about jack o Connor, and he is available now.. I don't think their is any fella hood enough within the County what's good enough being honest.. Up the rosies

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »

Hope they would set their sights higher than this.

Has there been anyone linked to the job yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

padd b1975 wrote: »

:eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Luke Dempsey has been very good with Carlow in the last number of years IMO.

Standard Roscommon fan syndrome to see the derision aimed at that suggestion rather than the lolworthy one that Jack O'Connor might take it on obv.

keane2097 wrote: »

Standard Roscommon fan syndrome to see the derision aimed at that suggestion rather than the lolworthy one that Jack O'Connor might take it on obv.
    good lad.One poster mentioned Jack O'Connor which imo is a pipe dream.Luke Dempsey has done nothing to suggest he would improve Roscommon and after going with Newton last year, which was a complete failure I would hope the county board would set the bar higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

keane2097 wrote: »

Two high profile managers in John Maughan,Tommy Carr took the Roscommon job and Páidí Ó Sé took over Westmeath. Two get a high profile outside manager you need plenty of cash something Roscommon don't have they will probably go local anyways.

Two high profile managers in John Maughan,Tommy Carr took the Roscommon job and Páidí Ó Sé took over Westmeath. Two get a high profile outside manager you need plenty of cash something Roscommon don't have they will probably go local anyways.
    I cant think of anyone within the county at the moment who seems up to it.Who would you have in mind?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

yabadabado wrote: »
    I cant think of anyone within the county at the moment who seems up to it.Who would you have in mind?

theres plenty of lads up to managing ros in roscommon and local lads would be my choice as the guys from outside the county only take the job for the $ and they dont have good knowledge of all the players in the county, the manager should be at as m,any games he can before selecting his squad be it junior B,junior A, intermediate or senior games.

yabadabado wrote: »

Have no idea who in the running however anyone with management experience at club or inter county level would seem more up to it than Des Newton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

Have no idea who in the running however anyone with management experience at club or inter county level would seem more up to it than Des Newton.

why whats so bad about des newton?

• Advertisement

why whats so bad about des newton?
    He didn't have any management experience before taking the Roscommon senior job.

Advertisement