Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

That was meant for the Mayo thread ^^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Pitch is a disgrace but it suits the big, galloping, apemen of Mayo rather than the silky skilled, Cruyffian Rossies.

The thuggish Rossies beaten in their own patch by a far superior Mayo team:D.

GREAT WIN, MAYO

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Rossies forgot to put the clocks forward.....
    Time to shut the Hyde. No pitch and no facilities. And no team either now it seems 😆😆😆

Only a league game but still nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

GREAT WIN, MAYO
    The Ros B team, augmented by some U21 and squad players, having secured a semi-final spot, still put it up to a Mayo squad scratching and scrapping for their Division 1 future. I don't think anyone in Roscommon thought Mayo would take this nothing game as seriously as they did. Mayo won their All-Ireland today, Roscommon have bigger things to look forward to.

A good training session for Roscommon all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

GREAT WIN, MAYO

What sort of **** talk is this?

Thuggish me arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What sort of **** talk is this?

Thuggish me arse

Post reported:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

What were the yellow pages at half time about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭patmac

McStay's plan to dampen down Roscommon's All-Ireland expectations worked a treat today, 20 minutes into both halves without a score didn't help on a disgrace of a pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

That back six won't beat leitrim in the championship. McManus and Purcell are not county standard and mcdermott's legs are gone as we saw in Sligo game

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have 5'6 kilroy as lone full forward most of the game needs to talking to

On a positive note diarmuid murtagh was class when he came on..need him fully fit along with donie shine, harney, Niall Daly, senan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

rossie1977 wrote: »
    That back six won't beat leitrim in the championship. McManus and Purcell are not county standard and mcdermott's legs are gone as we saw in Sligo game

Whoever thought it was a good idea to have 5'6 kilroy as lone full forward most of the game needs to talking to

On a positive note diarmuid murtagh was class when he came on..need him fully fit along with donie shine, harney, Niall Daly, senan

Are you still beating that ridiculous drum????

You stated quite a number of years ago on this board how you thought Seanie Mc Dermott was "a liability". Meanwhile he has been Roscommon's outstanding player for 5-6 years. Just stop.

• Advertisement

Ah give over, you should be grateful that the weather has stayed OK and that the game is still only a few hundred yards from home.

And your next post after this gem was how bad the pitch was?

You don't think there was a connection then between the huge deluge of rain that fell all last night and early today and the state of the pitch?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

The Ros B team, augmented by some U21 and squad players, having secured a semi-final spot, still put it up to a Mayo squad scratching and scrapping for their Division 1 future. I don't think anyone in Roscommon thought Mayo would take this nothing game as seriously as they did. Mayo won their All-Ireland today, Roscommon have bigger things to look forward to.

A good training session for Roscommon all the same.

Dude, lets us not get carried away and loose the run of ourselves. Roscommon, even during the days of Gay Sheerin and John Tobin were always a strong Division 1 League Team. We still have to get over the hump against the likes of Mayo and Galway in League and Championship.

Let us rejoice that we have Division 1 football next year without having to have relied on Mayo and Dublin games and move on. We saw how abject we were against Sligo (and what happened to them later) .

I hope we don't have the good folk of Mayo remembering your post come July

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Dude, lets us not get carried away and loose the run of ourselves. Roscommon, even during the days of Gay Sheerin and John Tobin were always a strong Division 1 League Team. We still have to get over the hump against the likes of Mayo and Galway in League and Championship.

Let us rejoice that we have Division 1 football next year without having to have relied on Mayo and Dublin games and move on. We saw how abject we were against Sligo (and what happened to them later) .

I hope we don't have the good folk of Mayo remembering your post come July
    It's obviously a piss take??? I caught a lot in the Mayo thread though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

megadodge wrote: »
    And your next post after this gem was how bad the pitch was?

You don't think there was a connection then between the huge deluge of rain that fell all last night and early today and the state of the pitch?

Well I am no where near Roscommon so o have no idea what the weather was like last night.

But there has been plenty of talk about the state of the Hyde pitch and only when I saw it on TV today did I realise how bad it was.

If the next week brings a lot of rain ye will not be playing Dublin there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

It's obviously a piss take??? I caught a lot in the Mayo thread though!

Yeah , I know bud. But those Mayo lads are not too polite when they see a good portion of Rossies leave Castlebar 5-10 minutes to go in Championship matches (nor are we,but we have to leave it in the dying minutes ala 2001)

megadodge wrote: »
    Are you still beating that ridiculous drum????

You stated quite a number of years ago on this board how you thought Seanie Mc Dermott was "a liability". Meanwhile he has been Roscommon's outstanding player for 5-6 years. Just stop.

Well its not weird you remember what what I said about an individual player years ago..are you his wife or something :)

I don't rate McDermott as much as you and some of the fans do and now he is in his 30s its certainly time to be looking at new faces. He was schooled today by Regan..a guy alot of mayo fans didn't rate before today. Kelly did the same to him in Sligo last year and kellys best days are behind him.

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Yeah , I know bud. But those Mayo lads are not too polite when they see a good portion of Rossies leave Castlebar 5-10 minutes to go in Championship matches (nor are we,but we have to leave it in the dying minutes ala 2001)
    Gotta catch them all!

Well I am no where near Roscommon so o have no idea what the weather was like last night.

So why did you feel the need to ridicule my worry about the brutal rain that was pouring down just over an hour before throwin? My concerns were proven to be correct.

You're one of the more reasonable Mayo posters on here, so I'd have thought you'd think before you type.

With regard to the Dublin game, it's a case of fingers crossed for good weather during the week. The Hyde actually wasn't too bad during this week, it's just that an awful lot of rain fell here in the 36 hours before the match and left a lot of surface water in all those horrible little dips and hollows I was always giving out about when I played and trained there over 20 years ago.

I honestly think that the Dublin game will go ahead in the Hyde purely because of the financial implications, but the U21 and Minor league games scheduled for Saturday will probably be switched to Kiltoom.

Well its not weird you remember what what I said about an individual player years ago..are you his wife or something :)

I don't rate McDermott as much as you and some of the fans do and now he is in his 30s its certainly time to be looking at new faces. He was schooled today by Regan..a guy alot of mayo fans didn't rate before today. Kelly did the same to him in Sligo last year and kellys best days are behind him.

Unlike most internet posters, I have a good memory. And it's not hard to remember one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever read relating to a players ability.

How anybody could regard Seanie as a "liability" is just beyond me. He has been such a consistently good player for years, but because he was one of numerous players who didn't have a good game in Sligo last year you feel that one game justifies that ludicrous comment.

Did he ride your wife or something?

Anyway, on the topic of the game today, I'm not as bothered by the result as I thought I would be and that's mainly because we really had a massively weakened team out there.

The entire middle of the pitch was utterly dominated by the far more physical Mayo players. We had literally nobody to even compete, not to mind win the ball, until Cathal Compton came on. He immediately made a difference, despite giving away a lot in weight, but his bite and hunger really stood out. When you consider all the big units we're missing in that sector - Cathal Shine, Donie Shine, Kevin Higgins, Tom Corcoran, Niall Daly it's pretty obvious that with those guys (or even some) on board, the complete whitewash we were getting for most of the first half wouldn't happen. I mean I saw a few kickouts where Davy Murray was marking Aidan O'Shea!!!

Cathal Cregg was the only player who seemed to be strong enough to take on his opposite number in the first half. Now I know Mayo are a very developed team physically, probably as good as any, but we need to get our bigger men back soon!

It was good to see the difference the young lads made when they came on. Diarmuid really is a class act and hopefully he'll stay injury-free. He's vital to us.

I really rate Mullooly, but that's as a full-back. I know he has played further out the field in club games and I think he could be tried out at centre-back. Of course there aren't too many games to try that now, but it's definitely something that could be considered.

It really all boils down to getting the best possible side out for championship and making sure lads who are 'half' injured are not forced into playing, like last year. I think we have a much better idea of what we need for championship after today.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Would have to agree that losing today to Mayo is not a big disaster by any means. Given the dreadful conditions and the fact that we were under strength, to lose by 4 points to Mayo in March - I'll take that, hopefully we'll meet them again later in the Championship. Midfield is a massive issue, we need leaders here - have to say I don't have a huge amount of confidence in Ian Kilbride, it was men against boys in the middle today. Geoffrey Claffey made some super saves throughout the game, excellent display. It's funny to see our neighbours on the other thread commenting on how "kind" the fixtures were that we had so far in the league? Oh yeah, I guess wins away to Kerry, Cork and Donegal are so very easy to come by.. ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

He was schooled on one play where Regan over carried twice. Besides that he was probably our best player on the day. Please refrain from targeting players after a single loss in a year where we've already made a lot of progress. The players deserve more than that.

Syferus wrote: »
    He was schooled on one play where Regan over carried twice. Besides that he was probably our best player on the day. Please refrain from targeting players after a single loss in a year where we've already made a lot of progress. The players deserve more than that.

It was more far more than once today and no he was not our best player. Claffey made 3-4 point blank saves and this was a mayo forward line containing half their under 21 side we destroyed 2 years ago as well as a guy playing his first game in 6 months.

Before the defeat today i said during the week our defense wasn't good enough and that shine, donie smith and diarmuid murtagh would have a field-day against our full back line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

blazermel wrote: »
    It's funny to see our neighbours on the other thread commenting on how "kind" the fixtures were that we had so far in the league? Oh yeah, I guess wins away to Kerry, Cork and Donegal are so very easy to come by.. ��
    Thats just Cosmo Kramer who has a long standing set against Roscommon and hell would likely freeze over before he gave any credit to the rossies.

Lookit Roscommon deserves get credit Div 4 just five years ago and now holding their own in div one, they are an example to other lower league teams as to what can been done with the right effort and strutures in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It was more far more than once today and no he was not our best player. Claffey made 3-4 point blank saves and this was a mayo forward line containing half their under 21 side we destroyed 2 years ago as well as a guy playing his first game in 6 months.

Before the defeat today i said during the week our defense wasn't good enough and that shine, donie smith and diarmuid murtagh would have a field-day against our full back line.

FB line is fine. We conceded 1-11, most of it frees. The middle was the problem. You've a set on a line that isn't the problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Syferus wrote: »
    FB line is fine. We conceded 1-11, most of it frees. The middle was the problem. You've a set on a line that isn't the problem at all.
    Wouldn't be looking at what was conceded more how many scoring chances were given away and the latter was alot yesterday where a better forward line than Mayo's would have made hay.

As i said before the game the defence lacks structure and no Connacht title will be returning to Roscommon anytime soon unless that problem area is sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Wouldn't be looking at what was conceded more how many scoring chances were given away and the latter was alot yesterday where a better forward line than Mayo's would have made hay.

As i said before the game the defence lacks structure and no Connacht title will be returning to Roscommon anytime soon unless that problem area is sorted out.

We conceded alot of scoring chances because we got absolutely cleaned at the middle of the park. Our defensive has not be helped that in every one of our league games we've been beaten at the middle of the park. Your calling this the worst defence in years, we were conceeding bigger scores in lower leagues a few years ago. When we are running up a score we neglect our defensive duties abit, but when we needed a gritty defensive performance against Down we got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

If you take the illegal goal out of it, 0-11 was a beatable target.
    One or two players foul too much - Conor Dev, Fintan Cregg

We just had no midfield.

In the previous games v Donegal and Down we looked solid enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

CAT PERFORMANCE, the mayos should of won it by about 15 points if they didnt kick so many wides, the midfield was useless and fellas like McDermott was half asleep, the jacks could give us a trashing if we play like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

Thats just Cosmo Kramer who has a long standing set against Roscommon and hell would likely freeze over before he gave any credit to the rossies.

Lookit Roscommon deserves get credit Div 4 just five years ago and now holding their own in div one, they are an example to other lower league teams as to what can been done with the right effort and strutures in place.

None of this calling out people from the mayo thread if you want to go down that route we will.
    You don't see us doing it to ye on or thread.
    I don't think any of ye where expecting that result it took ye 23 mins to score in the first half and the same in the second.
    The weather was cat the wind played a massive role but it was the same for both teams.

I don't like your chances against the dubs if ye play that badly again.
    And for the love of God will ye sort out that pitch before some one gets badly hurt

Advertisement