Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Wouldn't be looking at what was conceded more how many scoring chances were given away and the latter was alot yesterday where a better forward line than Mayo's would have made hay.

As i said before the game the defence lacks structure and no Connacht title will be returning to Roscommon anytime soon unless that problem area is sorted out.

The best defense in Ireland would give up a rake of scoring chances if they were under constant pressure play after play for 25 minutes straight. No defence can look good in that situation. We don't lack structure anymore. We lack personnel around the middle but hopefully over the next three months that will change.

And to address the above poster, I don't think anyone from Roscommon that had any sense was expecting good things with Cian, Senan and Niall out on top of all the other injuries and seeing the state of the pitch, if Mayo could play all their matches on a heavy energy sapping pitch they'd have won the AI by now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Syferus wrote: »
    The best defense in Ireland would give up a rake of scoring chances if they were under constant pressure play after play for 25 minutes straight. No defence can look good in that situation. We don't lack structure anymore. We lack personnel around the middle but hopefully over the next three months that will change.

And to address the above poster, I don't think anyone from Roscommon that had any sense was expecting good things with Cian, Senan and Niall out on top of all the other injuries and seeing the state of the pitch, if Mayo could play all their matches on a heavy energy sapping pitch they'd have won the AI by now.
    If Roscommon could play all their football in February when they're at their peak ye would be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Lads, the result was not that bad. With injuries etc and the pitch. Let is be thankful that we are in Division 1 next year. It would be no harm dampening down the hype that has gone on for a few weeks

Saying that, I concur with others, beating Mayo and Galway does matter. League and Championship. They never fear us, even Galway, who supposedly were gearing up for barren years - could have fooled me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

And to address the above poster, I don't thon anyone from Roscommon that had any sense was expecting good things with Cian, Senan and Niall out on top of all the other injuries and seeing the state of the pitch, if Mayo could play all their matches on a heavy energy sapping pitch they'd have won the AI by now.

The pitch was the same for both sets of players it's a disgrace and should not have being played.
    So you think if they played in a dry hard pitch the result would be different?
    Your midfield got wiped out 23 mins for the first score is not going to win ye ve much.
    Both teams have a lot of players missing so you can't keeping using that excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Rawhead wrote: »
    If Roscommon could play all their football in February when they're at their peak ye would be grand.

We've been doing that for 3/4 seasons now.
    That's why we're second in Division one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    We've been doing that for 3/4 seasons now.
    That's why we're second in Division one.

3 season ago Roscommon couldn't get out of division 3 and four seasons ago Roscommon were almost relegated back to Division 4. A far cry from now division one status secured with two games to spare.

3 season ago Roscommon couldn't get out of division 3 and four seasons ago Roscommon were almost relegated back to Division 4. A far cry from now division one status secured with two games to spare.

We've been playing our best football in February.

We've been muck in the championship

We've been playing our best football in February.

We've been muck in the championship

Yesterday's selection was a pretty clear indication the management are targeting June and July this year. Mayo started their star U21 starting while we left all ours on the bench. One of them was fit and able but left out of the 26 because he's just back from an injury too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yesterday's selection was a pretty clear indication the management are targeting June and July this year. Mayo started their star U21 starting while we left all ours on the bench. One of them was fit and able but left out of the 26 because he's just back from an injury too.

So Roscommon were playing an understrength team yesterday ?

If that is the case then the previous 5 games you played closer to your championship team.
    Not a good thing to get too excited then, Cork, Kerry and Donegal may not have been up to championship speed, while it seems Roscommon were.

Thomas O Se was very complementary to Mayo on TV last night, saying that this is the time to be putting out close to a championship team and playing with that level of intensity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eugene-mcgee-mayo-outmuscle-rossies-to-give-neighbours-a-reality-check-34576737.html
    Fairly damning from a man who's no fan of Mayo football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Loving the meltdown after losing to Mayo. Shows how far we've come.

If that is the case then the previous 5 games you played closer to your championship team.
    Not a good thing to get too excited then, Cork, Kerry and Donegal may not have been up to championship speed, while it seems Roscommon were.

Thomas O Se was very complementary to Mayo on TV last night, saying that this is the time to be putting out close to a championship team and playing with that level of intensity.

Over half our championship starting team has been injured the entire league campaign.

All but one of our subs brought on were U21s and that other lad made his first ever appearance for Roscommon yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Roscommon have been playing an understrength team all league! That's what's made the good run so surprising. But yesterday's team was even weaker again.

At the beginning of the year all of the following players would have been expecting to be starting come championship time, yet none of them played yesterday - Niall Carthy, Donal Ward, Ciaran Cafferky, Niall Daly, Cathal Shine, Donie Shine, Tom Corcoran, Kevin Higgins, Ultan Harney, Senan Kilbride, Cian Connolly. Plus Diarmuid Murtagh (the best forward we have) only came on in the second half - like Cillian for Mayo. Only two of those would not be regarded as big/strong men, which is why the physicality disparity was so enormous yesterday.

As for catching teams at the right time, that's lazy analysis - real lazy!
    A quick look at other results would show why.
    Monaghan went flat out to take Roscommon and were handed their victory at the death. The way they celebrated after showed it meant a lot to them as undoutedly it was a game they had targeted for a win.
    Cork hammered Mayo in their first game. Mayo were definitely not up to speed, but Cork obviously were in good nick. They play Roscommon a month later, when they are hardly going to be in worse shape but because Roscommon hammer then suddenly Cork 'have no work done'.
    Donegal had won their first three games on the trot and it was noted widely in the media how they were taking the league seriously, but when Roscommon beat them only two weeks ago the revisionists come out with their bullsh*t theories on how Donegal were way behind Roscommon in their preparation.

As I said, in this league Roscommon haven't fielded a team anywhere near what their championship side (hopefully) will be, so to read a whole lot into yesterday's game would be foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

megadodge wrote: »

As I said, in this league Roscommon haven't fielded a team anywhere near what their championship side (hopefully) will be, so to read a whole lot into yesterday's game would be foolish.

This really has to be a worry for Roscommon. Almost at the end of the league and they haven't been as to field anything near their championship team, makes you wonder if their 'championship side' will have anywhere near the necessary preparation done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

megadodge wrote: »
    Roscommon have been playing an understrength team all league! That's what's made the good run so surprising. But yesterday's team was even weaker again.

At the beginning of the year all of the following players would have been expecting to be starting come championship time, yet none of them played yesterday - Niall Carthy, Donal Ward, Ciaran Cafferky, Niall Daly, Cathal Shine, Donie Shine, Tom Corcoran, Kevin Higgins, Ultan Harney, Senan Kilbride, Cian Connolly. Plus Diarmuid Murtagh (the best forward we have) only came on in the second half - like Cillian for Mayo. Only two of those would not be regarded as big/strong men, which is why the physicality disparity was so enormous yesterday.

As for catching teams at the right time, that's lazy analysis - real lazy!
    A quick look at other results would show why.
    Monaghan went flat out to take Roscommon and were handed their victory at the death. The way they celebrated after showed it meant a lot to them as undoutedly it was a game they had targeted for a win.
    Cork hammered Mayo in their first game. Mayo were definitely not up to speed, but Cork obviously were in good nick. They play Roscommon a month later, when they are hardly going to be in worse shape but because Roscommon hammer then suddenly Cork 'have no work done'.
    Donegal had won their first three games on the trot and it was noted widely in the media how they were taking the league seriously, but when Roscommon beat them only two weeks ago the revisionists come out with their bullsh*t theories on how Donegal were way behind Roscommon in their preparation.

Good post lad! The names you listed above just show the depth the panel now has and how these are genuinely exciting times to be a Rossie.

I think one of our biggest strengths right now is our management team. Potential has been the buzzword for a decade now but i believe the lads in charge now can finally exploit this potential. While the short term gains have been evidently impressive they also appear to have an eye on the long game from what McStay said about the deficiency in strength and conditioning when he initially met the panel and how some were having to be persuaded about the long term benefits and buying into the idea. I have no doubts that we can be confirmed as and consolidated as a top 8 championship team during this management teams term

While Sunday was disappointing it must be recognised that Mayo are a top 2-3 team for 5 years now and ya can't buy that kind of know how and experience. While we were deservedly beaten on the day I thought a number of our lads looked leggy and lacking in a bit of pace presumably from a few heavy sessions during the week.

This really has to be a worry for Roscommon. Almost at the end of the league and they haven't been as to field anything near their championship team, makes you wonder if their 'championship side' will have anywhere near the necessary preparation done

It's no worry at all. We usually get the injuries now and not having them starting to clear with a good three months before the business starts. Lads like the Shines, Donie Smith, Keenan, Corcoran, Harney are not actually injured now - all have played for club or U21 recently - but but they're just not ready for IC action. I'd go as far as to say most of them are fitter than Cillian O'Connor is and he came on for Mayo yesterday.

Management have done an absolutely stellar job not throwing lads in at the deep end for short term benefit this year. With all the injuries we have to still have the sense to plan for the long term takes some doing. Last year it was the championship where we were wrecked by injuries.

It's no worry at all. We usually get the injuries now and not having them starting to clear with a good three months before the business starts. Lads like the Shines, Donie Smith, Keenan, Corcoran, Harney are not actually injured now - all have played for club or U21 recently - but but they're just not ready for IC action. I'd go as far as to say most of them are fitter than Cillian O'Connor is and he came on for Mayo yesterday.

Management have done an absolutely stellar job not throwing lads in at the deep end for short term benefit this year. With all the injuries we have to still have the sense to plan for the long term takes some doing. Last year it was the championship where we were wrecked by injuries.

I'm really not criticising the management. Injuries happen and I am all for not rushing a player back from injury. However, personally if I was manager, I would be concerned that the league has gone by without being able to prepare with the side that is likely to start in the championship. Teams & players improve by playing matches. Some people like to dismiss the league but the league serves a purpose and really is invaluable when trying to mould a team together for the championship. It is far from ideal that certain key players are only returning at the end of the league.

I'm really not criticising the management. Injuries happen and I am all for not rushing a player back from injury. However, personally if I was manager, I would be concerned that the league has gone by without being able to prepare with the side that is likely to start in the championship. Teams & players improve by playing matches. Some people like to dismiss the league but the league serves a purpose and really is invaluable when trying to mould a team together for the championship. It is far from ideal that certain key players are only returning at the end of the league.

It's the most ideal situation we've had for years. Almost all those players have been involved and training when they could since November/December.

It's the most ideal situation we've had for years. Almost all those players have been involved and training when they could since November/December.

You think its better that players are injured and don't play during the league, rather than be fit and play during the league? We are gonna have to disagree on that one! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

THE under 21 moved to sligo, daft they didnt think of Kiltoom, the seniour will stay in the hyde, the jacks are scared of a bit of muck and have been giving out but the forecast is not bad so the hyde should be sound out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

THE under 21 moved to sligo, daft they didnt think of Kiltoom, the seniour will stay in the hyde, the jacks are scared of a bit of muck and have been giving out but the forecast is not bad so the hyde should be sound out

Don't know where you get your forecasts from, but there is no dry day between now and Sunday, with the prospect of Thursday being largely dry. However Friday is gonna be wet and windy and Saturday showery. That leaves damn-all time for pitches to dry out.

You think its better that players are injured and don't play during the league, rather than be fit and play during the league? We are gonna have to disagree on that one! :)

I don't think you're grasping what I'm saying. What we've had consistently the past three or four seasons was much worse with management re-injuring players.

I heard a lot of nonsense from the media about us burning out by peaking early but anyone that knows what the situation is can tell you we've been managing a lot of players with an eye to the summer.

I don't think you're grasping what I'm saying. What we've had consistently the past three or four seasons was much worse with management re-injuring players.

I heard a lot of nonsense from the media about us burning out by peaking early but anyone that knows what the situation is can tell you we've been managing a lot of players with an eye to the summer.

I understand what you're saying but I'd still be a little concerned that those players have missed a league campaign.

I understand what you're saying but I'd still be a little concerned that those players have missed a league campaign.

Two months until we play Leitrim, and if we win three months to Sligo. Some of those listed should feature in at least one of the next two weekends as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Don't know where you get your forecasts from, but there is no dry day between now and Sunday, with the prospect of Thursday being largely dry. However Friday is gonna be wet and windy and Saturday showery. That leaves damn-all time for pitches to dry out.

rain%20apr%201_zpsxwlluog0.jpg

mayo.mick wrote: »
    rain%20apr%201_zpsxwlluog0.jpg

Wednesday, 30 March, 2016

Forecasts for Ireland

TODAY ... Showers will advance once again from western counties this morning to provide hit or miss coverage of all regions later on, and one or two could once again produce hail or thunder. The westerly to northwesterly breezes today will be rather gentle, 30-50 km/hr at times but there will be intervals of slack winds, if these combine with any sunshine then it may feel warmer than the actual high temperature which will be 8 to 11 C.

TONIGHT ... Widespread clearing but still a few isolated showers persisting near west coast. Lows inland -3 to +2 C.

THURSDAY ... Morning sunshine, afternoon cloud increasing from west to east, and highs of 8 to 12 C. Winds rather light at first, then south to southwest increasing to 40-60 km/hr later.

FRIDAY ... Periods of rain from early morning in west, spreading to east by late morning or mid-day, but remaining heavier in western counties (15-25 mm potential there, 5-15 mm east). Moderate southerly winds 50-70 km/hr and highs 10-12 C.

SATURDAY ... Overcast, some fog or mist, light rain or drizzle redeveloping and becoming more of a heavy downpour by the overnight hours into Sunday morning. About 20-40 mm rain could fall in that time frame, with temperatures steady 9-12 C. Rain may be heaviest in western counties and there is some risk of flooding resuming.

SUNDAY ... Morning rain or showers slowly moving away to north with slight clearing by late in the day, lows near 7 C and highs near 13 C.

/

as long as there's no hail and thunder showers like last Saturday and sunday morning, the pitch should be playable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

as long as there's no hail and thunder showers like last Saturday and sunday morning, the pitch should be playable.
    Between 35 and 65 mm of rain forecast Friday & Saturday.... there is nothing but blind optimism to suggest Hyde Park will be anywhere near playable on Sunday.

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/715195751110807553

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

We can't go by these forecasts for the whole island of Ireland. Wexford and Dublin are more likely to have decent weather, than anywhere west of the Shannon. That is just a fact of life. All the forecasts for Roscommon show rain every day this week, except for Thursday.

Advertisement