Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

ProudDUB wrote: »
    We can't go by these forecasts for the whole island of Ireland. Wexford and Dublin are more likely to have decent weather, than anywhere west of the Shannon. That is just a fact of life. All the forecasts for Roscommon show rain every day this week, except for Thursday.

Meh, it's the fact it was constantly raining the Saturday that caused the problem. Showers aren't going to affect the pitch by themselves. It rained today but it's been mostly fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Yep, you were saying it was going to be "fine" every day last week too.....and the week before that.....and the week before that. I'm sensing a theme here...... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Its nearly always raining in Roscommon

I wouldn't worry about it

Yep, you were saying it was going to be "fine" every day last week too.....and the week before that.....and the week before that. I'm sensing a theme here...... :rolleyes:

Yeah, ok lad. It was pissing down for hours Sunday morning. If the game was played 24 hours earlier it's unlikely there would have been any problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

Thought this might interest ye here, Kevin McStay liking this article from RTE on how playing the match at Hyde Park backfired on Roscommon. He should be a little more careful on Twitter should he not?

• Advertisement

Thought this might interest ye here, Kevin McStay liking this article from RTE on how playing the match at Hyde Park backfired on Roscommon. He should be a little more careful on Twitter should he not?

Its a grand plan to dampen the hype

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I wouldn't see anything wrong with it.More the problems with the Hyde are highlighted the better .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Team announced for Sunday.

https://twitter.com/RoscommonGAA/status/715630278698512385

Great to see arguably our first choice midfield starting.

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Team announced for Sunday.

https://twitter.com/RoscommonGAA/status/715630278698512385

Great to see arguably our first choice midfield starting.

There's no arguable in it - Niall Daly isn't a midfielder nor will he start their in the championship if we don't have a lot of injuries. He's mobile but not big enough for ful-time duty in the middle. Compton and Corcoran are very mobile too and also are good fielders and breakers of the ball.

That said good to see both Shines and Corcoran in the 26, those three along with Compton will likely make up our first choice midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

Syferus wrote: »
    There's no arguable in it - Niall Daly isn't a midfielder nor will he start their in the championship if we don't have a lot of injuries. He's mobile but not big enough for ful-time duty in the middle. Compton and Corcoran are very mobile too and also are good fielders and breakers of the ball.

That said good to see both Shines and Corcoran in the 26, those three along with Compton will likely make up our first choice midfield.

I'd much rather see Daly at Midfield then Donie Shine to be honest. Not getting into the Shine argument again though. I would have liked to see C.Shine and Corcoran in the middle together in the league as I think that's a great pairing also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

theres nothing wrong with Daly, very strong team for the next day

Niall scored three points v Donegal and should have scored another or a goal

That is what modern midfield is all about - mobility, carrying the ball and offering a scoring threat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Any word on the state of the grass ?

Any word on the state of the grass ?

Who needs grass when we've got water?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

What is plan B if the Hyde is unplayable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Croker. :D

0002927a-642.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

tanko wrote: »

Tullamore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Croker. :D

0002927a-642.jpg
    That was quick :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Rumour going round that it's in Carrick on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

megadodge wrote: »

If it is moved I'd rather it was played in Croker. No harm getting a few games there and it would suit our style of play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

megadodge wrote: »

I think that that fact that this is a more or less meaningless game is taking some of the significance from the venue.

Am i correct that this game has no impact on who goes forward in the competition or who goes down to Div 2?

This could make a decision to move the game easier for the GAA.

TBH I didn't mind where this game was going to be played, I didn't think it was a danger to the layer until it was pointed out .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

tanko wrote: »

Carrick

Decision lunchtime Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

Moved to Croker. confirmed on Hogan stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

rosknight wrote: »
    Moved to Croker. confirmed on Hogan stand.

Is this an April 1s

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

Sunday's important NFL Division One clash featuring Roscommon and Dublin has been switched from Hyde Park to Croke Park.
    Roscommon county board officials and a representative from Croke Park met at Hyde Park this morning and decided that the pitch would be simply unplayable come Sunday afternoon.
    (C'mon people, you know the day that's in it. One of the smart ass's here had a little too much time on his hand. Did not realise that so many would take it seriously. Look at our last couple of words, latin experts are we, even in reverse. Apologies to those who had hotel and B&B bookings made. Roscommon PRO Hugh Lynn assures us that the game will go ahead. Here's to a good match!)
    Heavy overnight rain in Roscommon and with more rain forecast for the area hastened the decision. Earlier on in the week the Rossies had also conceded home advantage to Mayo for tomorrow's Connacht under 21 decider.
    Spokesman for Roscommon Town Traders, Mr Jim Harney says that business' in the town are devastated by the decision. ''This was our bumper weekend. Already the town has lost big games to Kiltoom and Longford. Every bed in a ten mile radius of the town is booked by travelling Dublin supporters." added Mr Harney. He finished by slamming the Roscommon county board and stated ''that it was about time they got their act together and properly drained the Hyde."
    Roscommon team management were not that disturbed by the late change and one mentor commented, "Yes it is not nice to concede home advantage but in reality we are looking forward to playing in Croke Park, it will be an experience and hopefully this will be a common occurrence in the summer ahead."
    Luckily enough Croke Park was idle on Sunday afternoon and with a crowd of 10,000 to 15,000 expected neighbouring venues would not have been able to accomodate the crowd.
    Disappointed Roscommon supporters who cannot travel to HQ can watch the game on TG4 later on Sunday evening, the second game of the day. Dublin county board could not be contacted on the matter but it is understood that the next time the counties are fixed for NFL duty the Dubs will travel to Roscommon town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

yabadabado wrote: »
    If it is moved I'd rather it was played in Croker. No harm getting a few games there and it would suit our style of play.

If the Roscommon county board had any brains they'd be out with watering cans making the Hyde even more unplayable that it currently is.

An extra home game next year and against the best team in the country is unlikely to fall under dead rubber status like this year's has.

padd b1975 wrote: »
    If the Roscommon county board had any brains they'd be out with watering cans making the Hyde even more unplayable that it currently is.

An extra home game next year and against the best team in the country is unlikely to fall under dead rubber status like this year's has.

You're not really getting how this works at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

You're not really getting how this works at all.

If Croke Park was offered as an alternative to an unplayable Hyde Park, Roscommon would be daft to turn it down as the match is of no importance.

Next year's meeting could very well be in a totally different context.

I would have thought most teams would want as many meaningful league games at home as possible.

They're both semi finalists, treat it as a challenge match...no point being hero's in April.

It's moot anyway as I don't think Croker was ever in the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

So how are you guys feeling about the under 21 final tomorrow?Whilst Roscommon seek a 3 in a row,it is 7 long years since we won a Connaught championship at this very important grade and we have'nt been going very well in the interim.We suffered a right drubbing at your hands in McHale Park a couple of years.

Much expected of this Mayo team,9 members of the successful 2013 minor team started against Leitrim.Liam Irwin in addition would have started if fit.They put up quite a big score but possibly need to tighten up defensively.Hopefully we'll have a great contest.

• Advertisement

padd b1975 wrote: »
    If Croke Park was offered as an alternative to an unplayable Hyde Park, Roscommon would be daft to turn it down as the match is of no importance.

Next year's meeting could very well be in a totally different context.

I would have thought most teams would want as many meaningful league games at home as possible.

They're both semi finalists, treat it as a challenge match...no point being hero's in April.

It's moot anyway as I don't think Croker was ever in the picture.

Surely you understand Dublin know exactly what you said too and would be equally daft to give up a home game next year for a meaningless one this year?

Advertisement