Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

its ridiculous, I heard in the mart in thursday that it would be in carrick, just keeping the publicans happy by not saying it till this morning, the county board is a joke,

Where u buying or selling going with a few this week myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Its not as if there was no games played there lately to give them an idea of the state of the place.

Its not as if we have hand more wet than dry weather in the last few weeks.

This is the unraveling of the "Roscommon Spring"
    Bad loss to Mayo, lost home field advantage for u 21 game then lost game from a position of strength.

Lost the ability to play AI champs at home. Will probably lose game to.
    And I'd expect Kerry to beat them next week in SF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Rawhead wrote: »
    Probably a kick for the ****ehole state of the Hyde. Your plans for world domination took a big setback this week. Can't see today being any better....

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Bus transfers in place, but still, ****ty planning

• Registered Users Posts: 43 leimmxvii

Any know how I could watch this game or listen to it online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

leimmxvii wrote: »
    Any know how I could watch this game or listen to it online?

Try Northern Sound radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

Try Northern Sound radio.

They're switching between the Cavan and Monaghan games, Shannonside should have the Roscommon game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Well, considering how terrible Ros were in the first half, the second half has left me feeling far more upbeat. I'm not particularly worried about the missed free for the draw, it was all about upping the performance - which was badly required.

The subs all made a difference. In particular Mullooly (probably intent on making up for his silliness last night) who showed he definitely has what it takes at this level. Donie started and did quite well at FF until he tired. Cathal Shine (who I'm a big fan of) was very poor. Totally out of it and should have been taken off earlier. McInerney is fast becoming one of Roscommon's most reliable players. Outstanding today. He's an old-fashioned sticky, strong, fast, horrible corner or full back. Nothing flashy, just negates his opponent efficiently and offloads the ball quickly.

Davy Murray has a heart the size of his body, but he needs to play with more composure. Both himself and Collins have a habit of diving in full length at the last moment when their direct opponent is gathering the ball, but quite often they either miss it, leaving themselves on the ground with their man gone inside them, or they foul (unintentional or not, their momentum is likely to cause it anyway). Just a small tweak that could make a big difference.

Fintan Cregg is very comfortable on the ball and good on the breaks at midfield. I'm definitely a fan, but the final piece of the jigsaw is tracking back. He just doesn't do it EVERY time. He has to learn that it's part and parcel of the game he's expected to play. A number of breaks came through the middle from where I thought he could have been covering (there were others also to be fair).

Anybody know why Seanie was black-carded? From where I was, it looked a perfect shoulder to shoulder. Even if it wasn't, there was no trip, dragdown or thirdman tackle. Was it for abuse, considering it didn't look a free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

megadodge wrote:
    Anybody know why Seanie was black-carded? From where I was, it looked a perfect shoulder to shoulder. Even if it wasn't, there was no trip, dragdown or thirdman tackle. Was it for abuse, considering it didn't look a free?

Just looked like a yellow card to me, we were close to it

Stoner wrote: »
    Just looked like a yellow card to me, we were close to it

Are you referring to Cathal Cregg's black card? I thought that was a free, but the ref then gave a black card and indicated it was for a trip. Without the benefit of a replay I'll have to take his word on it, but Seanie's one seems to be a bit of a mystery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

megadodge wrote:
    Are you referring to Cathal Cregg's black card? I thought that was a free, but the ref then gave a black card and indicated it was for a trip. Without the benefit of a replay I'll have to take his word on it, but Seanie's one seems to be a bit of a mystery.

To me the first one looked like a yellow, from where I was he did not connect with the shoulder, the player went down but was not dragged down so I couldn't see how it was a black card, for the Cregg one, it looked like he charged in on Mannion connected again not the shoulder,

I didn't see any trip in either on, but I'll have to check. Thought initially that they were two soft blacks, but if I see a trip on the replay it would obviously change things.

Just heard today that the Hyde is shut until next year's league.

Roscommon's home championship match against Sligo (assuming we beat New York and Leitrim) will not be played in the Hyde.

I'm assuming that's an indication that at long last the pitch is being done and they've decided to get a two month headstart. I'll believe it when I see it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

megadodge wrote: »
    Just heard today that the Hyde is shut until next year's league.

Roscommon's home championship match against Sligo (assuming we beat New York and Leitrim) will not be played in the Hyde.

I'm assuming that's an indication that at long last the pitch is being done and they've decided to get a two month headstart. I'll believe it when I see it though.

I was told by a reliable source they dont have the tender out yet for the pitch so not sure how true the above is.Maybe it wouldnt be a big thing to sort out quickly but if there was any plan to push ahead now surely they would have prep work done.
    I presume the CB will get Prunty's to do the pitch ?Any ideas how much it costs ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    I was told by a reliable source they dont have the tender out yet for the pitch so not sure how true the above is.Maybe it wouldnt be a big thing to sort out quickly but if there was any plan to push ahead now surely they would have prep work done.
    I presume the CB will get Prunty's to do the pitch ?Any ideas how much it costs ?

Looking forward to Sundays game on.a decent pitch. Will be a right test of the team's progress.

Then the panel will be cut for championship and there could be some big names ommitted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Looking forward to Sundays game on.a decent pitch. Will be a right test of the team's progress.

Then the panel will be cut for championship and there could be some big names ommitted.

Who we talking about?

Best of luck today to the lads
    Big crowd heading up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Walsh takes 7 steps before kicking for goal and goal given.

Seamo McD heard roaring at the umpires
    "Would ever wake up to **** lads"

Being out muscled by Kerry and have missed some easy frees and put a couple into keepers hands.

Could be real spanking here unless there's a second half come back
    Like last week

Take note Rossies.

Winning league games in Feb and March is all well and good but hammerings in Croke Park in April are not.

Ye have now lost 3 in a row, to the recognised top 3 teams in the country, that is not good form.

And no matter what people think about this stage of the league you don't want to be losing by double digits.

Look at Mayo 2010 or Cork 2014, both got hammerings at this stage of the league, and both results showed more about their true form than the games they won in February or March of those years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Now, now Mayo Nays. There'll be no gloating. At least the Rossies are here in Croke Park. They're not all at home, waiting for the Masters coverage to start. :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Now, now Mayo Nays. There'll be no gloating. At least the Rossies are here in Croke Park. They're not all at home, waiting for the Masters coverage to start. :p

You relax. The only important date to be in Croker is in August . We have a long way to go. Mayo or Galway are still not shivering in their boots over Roscommon , just yet

• Advertisement

From Division 3 final to to Division 1 semi in 3 years.
    Perspective

ProudDUB wrote: »

Gloating is the national pasttime in Mayo.

And whinging, of course!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

you would think with there shiny bus that they would turn up at least today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭PressRun

Ah, I don't think there's much point in gloating. I was hoping Roscommon would make a match of it, but they met a Kerry team on an upward trajectory who look like they have a point to prove this year. They seemed to get a wee bit of stage fright too - wouldn't be the first and won't be the last team to experience that in Croke Park.

Holy f*ck, I've seen it all now - Mayo people going on another county's thread to slag them about being hammered by Kerry in Croke Park!!

Grenades in glasshouses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

yop wrote: »
    Today showed us the real Rossies, not fit to handle a Kerry team who barely got out of 2nd gear. Didn't turn up against Mayo, Dublin or Kerry now, excuses of games not mattering, poor pitch, no big names etc etc out the gate at this stage.

From a team the country was taking note of (Rossie claim), to a pristine pitch at the Hyde, to a team who couldn't host another league match and blown away in Croke Park, normal service resumed.
    That ass that was interviewed on Sunday Game "Tar melting, ice cream melting", will be going back to the asylum again. :)

We will see ye again I am sure, but time to park the big yellow banana up for another while. :)

i wouldnt worry too much to be fair, two goals in the first half changed the game , david moran's should not have stood for steps , the second is one to work on for the championship , if galway or mayo lost by a simular margin ( which i am sure they have in the past ) no one would bat an eyelid , however management need to find a sutible possition for neil collins , descent footballer but what possition ., center back or even center forward ? not full back surely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

yop wrote: »
    Today showed us the real Rossies, not fit to handle a Kerry team who barely got out of 2nd gear. Didn't turn up against Mayo, Dublin or Kerry now, excuses of games not mattering, poor pitch, no big names etc etc out the gate at this stage.

From a team the country was taking note of (Rossie claim), to a pristine pitch at the Hyde, to a team who couldn't host another league match and blown away in Croke Park, normal service resumed.
    That ass that was interviewed on Sunday Game "Tar melting, ice cream melting", will be going back to the asylum again. :)

We will see ye again I am sure, but time to park the big yellow banana up for another while. :)

Why would you post this??

It's survival of the fittest at all times in the Gaa! Ross were that entity for the first part of the league. They went out hell for leather and survived in div 1 with room to spare! This **** about ' Oh, we'll see ye in August' and ' Ye got a lesson today'; who are we to throw stones??

When Connaught football is competitive, everyone benefits! Shortsightedness is a problem on all our behalf! When was the last time Ross or Galway won the All Ireland??? Does it actually make a difference? No, not really!

Kudos to Ross! You got there. Kerry were superior. Fair enough. Go back, adapt and overcome!

The Mayo boys gloating, grow up. And yop, you're a mod!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

The Mayo supporters coming into this forum gloating about Roscommon losing is really sad & pathetic, we're hardly falling overselves with All-Irelands. Also its a shame we don't see more supporters like Paddy Joe Burke.

I wouldn't have much love for Roscommon fans, mainly due to some quite frankly psychotic gloating at myself and other Mayo supporters at the 2001 Connaught Final - but after watching that video of him, I was really hoping for a Roscommon win today. Anyway still think you'll get another outing in Croke Park this year.

Barlett wrote: »
    The Mayo supporters coming into this forum gloating about Roscommon losing is really sad & pathetic, we're hardly falling overselves with All-Irelands. Also its a shame we don't see more supporters like Paddy Joe Burke.

I wouldn't have much love for Roscommon fans, mainly due to some quite frankly psychotic gloating at myself and other Mayo supporters at the 2001 Connaught Final - but after watching that video of him, I was really hoping for a Roscommon win today. Anyway still think you'll get another outing in Croke Park this year.

I think it will be a rematch of yesterday's game in a QF on August Bank holiday Sunday, at 2pm.

Kerry will win Munster.

Roscommon will lose the Connacht final, win the qualifier v a team from the weaker A side of the draw and then play Kerry in the QF.

It will be a valuable learning experience for Roscommon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I think it will be a rematch of yesterday's game in a QF on August Bank holiday Sunday, at 2pm.

Kerry will win Munster.

Roscommon will lose the Connacht final, win the qualifier v a team from the weaker A side of the draw and then play Kerry in the QF.

It will be a valuable learning experience for Roscommon.

The Dublin-Donegal match was a thrashing. There were only 4 scores separating Kerry and Roscommon. And one of those was the most blatant example of over-carrying I have seen.

Advertisement