Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

He didn't have any management experience before taking the Roscommon senior job.

are you sure? I thought he was incharge of the ros under 21's or minors??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

theres plenty of lads up to managing ros in roscommon and local lads would be my choice as the guys from outside the county only take the job for the $ and they dont have good knowledge of all the players in the county, the manager should be at as m,any games he can before selecting his squad be it junior B,junior A, intermediate or senior games.

Who do you think would be ready for it or who would you like top see get it?
    why whats so bad about des newton?
    He seemed to be totally clueless and we went backwards last this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Job appears to be Nigel Dineen's if he wants it.

are you sure? I thought he was incharge of the ros under 21's or minors??
    Never remember him managing any other Ros teams .he managed Kilmacud at a stage and some underage teams .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Paul Earley?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

There's no fella local whats worth a dam, jack o Connor or john o mahoney

There's no fella local whats worth a dam, jack o Connor or john o mahoney

"There's no fella local whats worth a dam"

how do you know if you dont give them a chance?

yabadabado wrote: »
    Never remember him managing any other Ros teams .he managed Kilmacud at a stage and some underage teams .

I could be wrong but im pretty sure he was incharge of the under 21s last year or the year before

Who do you think would be ready for it or who would you like top see get it?

im not going to throw any names around but theres one guy who i played under and who was a selector for ros minors last year and other underage ros teams, excellent manager and would do a great job in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

Noel O Brien would be good.

• Advertisement

"There's no fella local whats worth a dam"

how do you know if you dont give them a chance?

We can't be taking a punt t on another no hopper like Newton, and would be a few more wasted years in the wilderness Better to get a tried and trusted fella in

We can't be taking a punt t on another no hopper like Newton, and would be a few more wasted years in the wilderness Better to get a tried and trusted fella in

You could get Jack O Connor, John O Mahoney and Pat Gilroy if you like. Yes we need a higher class manager but they are not going to perform miracles either. We still need to be realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Good ridance to Newton, and time for the country board to get their act together and show some ambitions.. What about jack o Connor, and he is available now.. I don't think their is any fella hood enough within the County what's good enough being honest.. Up the rosies

Was Newton really the problem? From speaking to a former Roscommon player earlier in the summer he wished he could wind the clock back to the not 2 distant past. He felt quite a few lads didnt really give it 100% all the time which is what is required, and he included himself in that. You get away with this against some teams in League but when Championship comes about you get found out. Its that extra 10% that makes the difference.
    theres plenty of lads up to managing ros in roscommon and local lads would be my choice as the guys from outside the county only take the job for the $ and they dont have good knowledge of all the players in the county, the manager should be at as m,any games he can before selecting his squad be it junior B,junior A, intermediate or senior games.

There are plenty of lads in Roscommon up to the job. Most will boil down to what players are prepared to put in no matter who is the manager. If they dont give 110% it wont work. It will also take a term of 4 or 5 years to really see the talent there is coming through so whoever gets the job will need time. There is no point in appointing someone and then when a few games are lost people start calling for him to be sacked.

Club politics have also to be left aside as this is often the cause of managers not getting to go their term. When a big name is dropped for breaking a curfew the manager needs to have support from everyone around the squad and from county board. This sends out a huge message to anyone who has aspirations of wearing the county jersey there is no room for anyone not going to devote everything to the panel. This has been a problem in many counties where clubs start asking questions to stir up people and the feeling just spreads. Its nearly impossible to control.

There is no doubt there is huge talent and now a bit of patience and planning is required for Roscommon to challenge for top honours.

LeoB wrote: »

There is no doubt there is huge talent and now a bit of patience and planning is required for Roscommon to challenge for top honours.

I wish I had your optimism! The standard of club football this year isn't hectic.

[QUOTE=LeoB;80740874
    There is no doubt there is huge talent and now a bit of patience and planning is required for Roscommon to challenge for top honours.[/QUOTE]

Your dead right, and just need to get the right fella in to get the best out of them. If the donegals can be in the running for sams so should we

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

A local with knowledge of the club scene. Not necessarily an ex-player either, for a start too many of them have poor knowledge of the modern regimes which were making Roscommon more competitive under O'Donnell.
    Someone with longer term ambitions such as bringing through the correct talent from the u21's e.g. backs of 6 foot or more. Roscommon have been killed with a lack of height in the full backline the last ten years.
    Maybe one of O'Donnells selectors or backroom.
    As I see it ex-players often get the easy route into these positions with no relevant management experience or knowledge of how to get teams ready.
    Finally someone with realistic long term targets such as getting up to and staying in Division 2 whithin 4 years. Roscommon need to put a major focus on league football for longer term gains in consistency.

Finally someone with realistic long term targets such as getting up to and staying in Division 2 whithin 4 years. Roscommon need to put a major focus on league football for longer term gains in consistency.
    This .We need to get into division 2,get a few years and try to make the breakthrough into D1.With the amount of young talent coming through we need to get into the top 2 divisions and be competitive in it .The gains from that alone would be huge.

We were very poor all year,the only game we looked ok was against Armagh and that was more down to them being brutal on the day.We didnt seem to have tactics/gameplan .We need a manager to come in and set down a 3 or 4 year plan and hopefully with full backing from clubs and county board we might achieve something.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 roscommon

standard of referees in roscommon poor having been at most senior championship matches over last 30 years thuggery abounds un censored last years senior champ final this years league final to name last two major matches .Other successful counties have stamped out this affliction

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Rasheed wrote: »
    Noel O Brien would be good.

Amazed he didn't get the job when Newton got it

Did excellent work with St Brigids, 2 connacht club titles, one all ireland final and one all ireland semi final.

I'd say he knows Roscommon football inside out aswell, where is he now?

roscommon wrote: »
    standard of referees in roscommon poor having been at most senior championship matches over last 30 years thuggery abounds un censored last years senior champ final this years league final to name last two major matches .Other successful counties have stamped out this affliction

and??whats your point? if you ask me roscommons biggest problem is that they are too nice, they can sometimes let a team (especially a bigger name team like say tyrone) walk the length of the pitch without getting a takle in.

• Advertisement

Liam McHale is supposed to be interested in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Small county like Roscommon I think an obsessive local who will travel all day Sunday looking at poor club matches just to spot one possible future sub-corner back who just needs to lose a stone and get fit is what is needed.
    You can't get that with an outsider. I know that O'Donnells Management team often looked a few times at lads who they then decided not even to go with. But they had given that player every chance by actually being at competitive club games to see their form and standard.
    Shine was collected and brought to a pitch for free taking practice separate to team training. Did that happen the last year? maybe it did, if it didn't maybe it's why his freetaking has faltered.
    There is no core of really top level players to just come in and stick in all of the central positions. This will take a lot of work and development. Plus ... get the focus off of championship. Get competitive in the league first, then the championship will take care of itself. Not the other way around.
    Sort out full back and centre forward and there would be an immediate improvement overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

The lads, and not just the 2006 minors, obviously loved Fergie. It's hard to over-state what a difference it was to have a manager there was no question the panel as a whole wanted to play under. You'd probably have to go back to John Tobin's first year to find a manager who had that.

He's the simplest and best option that ticks every single box but unless the Board can magically re-arrange his work life for him I don't see him returning at this juncture. In an ideal world you'd have Fergie hired as a coaching officer and kill two birds with one stone but life is never that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 roscommon

and??whats your point? if you ask me roscommons biggest problem is that they are too nice, they can sometimes let a team (especially a bigger name team like say tyrone) walk the length of the pitch without getting a takle in.
    learn to read student

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

roscommon wrote: »
    learn to read student

Be polite or dont post at all.

Mod warning.

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Amazed he didn't get the job when Newton got it

Did excellent work with St Brigids, 2 connacht club titles, one all ireland final and one all ireland semi final.

I'd say he knows Roscommon football inside out aswell, where is he now?

I don't know what he's up to! He has had the year off now, no doubt he was fed up of the level and intensity of training with Brigids. I think he'd be deadly. A serious reader of the game, mature and solid enough to rise over the bull **** and a genuine love of Roscommon football.

Some of his tactics were way off with Brigids. They usually lost the middle in the serious games over the last two years by noticeable margins and let Senan Kilbride go anywhere but the full-forward line.

He benefited greatly from being handed a club that had ran its affairs excellent (Brigids have pretty much owned the county u21 title for the last decade) and was already among the top ten or so in the country. It's not like O'Brien built them from the ground up, something the senior manager will have to do in alot of ways. Not totally opposed to him but I wouldn't say he should be a lock by any means.

If this was last year we should have moved heaven and earth to get another ex-Brigids manager, Anthony Cunningham. Sort of feels like we let a manager for life slip through our hands.

Liam McHale is supposed to be interested in the job.

Interesting, is he still involved with Clare?

Syferus wrote: »

If this was last year we should have moved heaven and earth to get another ex-Brigids manager, Anthony Cunningham. Sort of feels like we let a manager for life slip through our hands.
    Thought it at the time Fergie left he would have been ideal to take over but hurling would be his first love and Galway job is much bigger than Ros.
    Interesting, is he still involved with Clare?

Not sure if he's still involved but he is interested and has at least one supporter with the county board.

• Advertisement

McHale is a selector with Brigid's under McStay. I'd question hiring him as the manager unless he just blows them away in interviews but he could be an option for a selector.

Advertisement