Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Horribly low home turnout. The passion in Leitrim is being strangled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Job done with the minimum of fuss but hard to get an accurate assessment of where we are at given the quality of the opposition yesterday.

Played in fits and starts all game. Some very good movement up front at times and took some very good scores, at other times we over did the hand passing through midfield and the half forward line when a good kick pass had the potential to release the inside line.
    Worked the ball out of defence really well but it would be very surprising if Sligo afforded us the luxury of uncontested kick outs.
    Without seeing stats we did seem to win the majority of breaking ball with Davy Murray being particularly impressive in this regard. Still think we need Keenan to be starting somewhere in the half back line although that's not a slight on any of the lads performance yesterday just a note on the lack of quality we faced yesterday and what is bound to be a much tougher assignment in 3 weeks time.

The quality of our free taking was very poor though and hopefully it's a case of bad day at the office in that regard because I reckon we left 4 very handy points go with another couple of missed that ya would normally expect one of the 3 free takers to get.

What's the latest on the injury front lads? Particularly Enda Smith, his pace and ball carrying ability would be a massive plus.

On a totally different note but how flat was the atmosphere yesterday? I know the game was really over as a contest with Conor's goal but even before that there was no real buzz in the ground.

Good account of the performance.

There was absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever. Easily the worst I've experienced at a Leitrim game. But it has to be said this was probably the worst Leitrim team I've seen also. Was speaking to a Leitrim man I know well before the game and he said it was just about keeping the scoreline down. I thought he was just being overly cautious, but Leitrim were very poor. I'd worry for them at this rate, because Roscommon were just solid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

Are the rumours true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

naughto wrote: »
    Are the rumours true?

If it is true then it reveals a huge problem in the structure of the Roscommon senior setup.

How can a team that is tipped to do well, and who have done well so far this year, lose quality players to the US ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

If it is true then it reveals a huge problem in the structure of the Roscommon senior setup.

How can a team that is tipped to do well, and who have done well so far this year, lose quality players to the US ?
    A couple of students going on a J1 = Ros in meltdown

dime-bar.jpg

• Advertisement

Cake off to Laois to coach their keepers on Anthony Cunningham's recommendation. Looked like he was coaching the Armagh keeper today too.

I'd love if we could get Anthony involved with our footballers in the future. Got a raw deal from the neighbours but he has brought success to almost every team he's managed and everyone in Brigids (he lives in Kiltoom) have nothing but good things to say about his time in charge, he oversaw their growth from Roscommon title contenders to AI contenders. Must have been some experience for him to watch St. Thomas and Brigids to climb the mountain the same day in 2013.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Syferus wrote: »
    Cake off to Laois to coach their keepers on Anthony Cunningham's recommendation. Looked like he was coaching the Armagh keeper today too.

I'd love if we could get Anthony involved with our footballers in the future. Got a raw deal from the neighbours but he has brought success to almost every team he's managed and everyone in Brigids (he lives in Kiltoom) have nothing but good things to say about his time in charge, he oversaw their growth from Roscommon title contenders to AI contenders. Must have been some experience for him to watch St. Thomas and Brigids to climb the mountain the same day in 2013.

always the bridesmaid, Anthony

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    always the bridesmaid, Anthony

We're not even invited to the wedding most years, though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Ya.... sure that happens in no other county where young lads decide to go on a j1... obviously signals the demise of Roscommon football.

blazermel wrote: »
    Ya.... sure that happens in no other county where young lads decide to go on a j1... obviously signals the demise of Roscommon football.

Not if they no that they will be playing football in September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Not if they no that they will be playing football in September

So realistically that's all of about 4 counties this year.

Where did anyone claim Roscommon would be in this years All Ireland final?

Well of depends on who they are.
    The rumours, as posted on the Mayo thread said the Daly brothers and Murtagh.

Are they guys that you would expect to be regular starters or guys that would have a big influence off the bench, or are they guys on the periphery of the panel ?

If it's the latter then its no big deal, happens all the time as you rightly suggest.

But if its the former then there must be something wrong if important players are giving up on what McStay and co are selling this early on.

So realistically that's all of about 4 counties this year.

Where did anyone claim Roscommon would be in this years All Ireland final?

I probably should have said that after the 10th July

I probably should have said that after the 10th July

why, are they going marching or something?

Ah the Connaught final is on the 10th July

Ah the Connaught final is on the 10th July

I don't know what this is but the Connacht final is on the same day.

Syferus wrote: »
    I don't know what this is but the Connacht final is on the same day.

This from a man that goes missing when he get beat good man syferus

This from a man that goes missing when he get beat good man syferus

You sound upset.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Well of depends on who they are.
    The rumours, as posted on the Mayo thread said the Daly brothers and Murtagh.

Are they guys that you would expect to be regular starters or guys that would have a big influence off the bench, or are they guys on the periphery of the panel ?

If it's the latter then its no big deal, happens all the time as you rightly suggest.

But if its the former then there must be something wrong if important players are giving up on what McStay and co are selling this early on.

Conor daly has already opted off the panel for America - the talk is that his brother Ronan is joining him. Apart from that the rest is still all speculation and tumour until anything is actually confirmed - so I'll keep my powder dry until there's definite confirmation. I wouldn't fall into the trap of thinking there's something wrong in the camp because a few lads want to go off to America for the summer. But its nice to see the concern from some Mayo people on it. Might be best to keep their eyes focused on Galway on June 18th instead of trying to stir the pot.

Conor daly has already opted off the panel for America - the talk is that his brother Ronan is joining him. Apart from that the rest is still all speculation and tumour until anything is actually confirmed - so I'll keep my powder dry until there's definite confirmation. I wouldn't fall into the trap of thinking there's something wrong in the camp because a few lads want to go off to America for the summer. But its nice to see the concern from some Mayo people on it. Might be best to keep their eyes focused on Galway on June 18th instead of trying to stir the pot.

Nothing I say here will influence Mayo or Galway on June 18th, so there is nothing for me to focus on with that regard.

Now are the two Daly's important to the Roscommon team or are they peripheral ?

• Advertisement

Nothing I say here will influence Mayo or Galway on June 18th, so there is nothing for me to focus on with that regard.

Now are the two Daly's important to the Roscommon team or are they peripheral ?
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG1y6RZd1mr7Xo_Wz5zyAqHYEaZUjM_bI-UgKFYfbau5gvTQi-

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTG1y6RZd1mr7Xo_Wz5zyAqHYEaZUjM_bI-UgKFYfbau5gvTQi-

What the heck are all you Rossies afraid of.
    Can you not hold a conversation about your team ?

I've asked a few times now about whether the players mentioned are important but all I've got is a picture of a duck and benn told to focus on Galway.

What the heck are all you Rossies afraid of.
    Can you not hold a conversation about your team ?

I've asked a few times now about whether the players mentioned are important but all I've got is a picture of a duck and benn told to focus on Galway.
    duprps.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭sting60

Roscommon are regarded as fodder for the real teams.

sting60 wrote: »
    Roscommon are regarded as fodder for the real teams.
    Newton_of_Cawdor_stack_of_bales_-_geograph.org.uk_-_545290.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I've no idea what they mean but the picture retorts are ****in funny.

corny wrote: »
    I've no idea what they mean but the picture retorts are ****in funny.

The one with the bales refers to "fodder" as per the quoted post.
    Obviously you would not get that one seeing as your a Dub :)

I have no idea about the duck.

The one with the bales refers to "fodder" as per the quoted post.
    Obviously you would not get that one seeing as your a Dub :)

I have no idea about the duck.

Ara here?
    Duckworth Luas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I like the Duck Fr Tod, it suits ;)

I see the Belgians have lost some players too, at this rate you'll be so concerned about other teams you won't get a wink of sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Ara here?
    Duckworth Luas?

Way-hay, so it's all about the Dubs running up cricket scores (geddit?) against everyone one?

Ok then, I'm down with that. So, how much are we gonna bate them Laois boyos by then, 10,15,20 plus pts?

Wait, sorry, this is the Rossie thread....my bad....exits stage left....

Advertisement