Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

kilbride is starting and smith got the boot, omalley in goals again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I doubt the team will line up as named.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,513 ✭✭✭seanhynes

Why wasn't the replay considered for Hyde Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

seanhynes wrote: »
    Why wasn't the replay considered for Hyde Park

Cos the GAA President attacked it with a shovel the other week

http://roscommondaily.com/2016/07/ceremony-hyde-park-pitch/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

There's no defending that performance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

It was absolute dog****e.

I expected the backs to be found out but I thought the forwards would be able to tag on a nice few scores and get a couple of goals.

The only player who can hold his head high is C Murtagh.

The rest didn't want to know.
    There was no desire in the tackle.
    No man stood up and said I want this 50-50 ball more than a Galway man.

For the third year in a row, we see a Roscommon team peaking In terms of fitness and preparedness in late February - mid March with no plan on how to peak again for championship football.

It's on evenings like this I wish the back door didn't exist. Last thing we need now is another game next Sat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Management need a complete rethink about the players starting and whatever 'system' they want. I didn't see any

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

I hate to be critical, but that was just pathetic.

I'm not going to harp on about what went wrong, cos I really don't know where to start, but I will bring up that old chestnut AGAIN - breaking ball!!!

Besides the big number of breaks not won at midfield from kickouts, the downright unbelievable naivety for the first goal can never be allowed happen again. A big hoof into the sky, two men underneath it. OBVIOUSLY it's going to be broken!!! Firstly you position yourself where there is a strong likelihood of the ball landing or secondly at the very worst you position yourself goalside, so if the opposition gather the break, you are between them and the goal. Neither happened today. Goal!!!! Then the ease with which Fintan Cregg let Sice back onto his left foot (having originally kept him on his right) and worse let him waltz past him was just awful. Those goals killed the game.

The lack of support play once again when we hit the 45m line was disappointing.

Ciaran Murtagh in the first half and to a lesser extent Cathal Compton can at least say they did ok, but most of the rest need to take a long hard look at themselves and their fundamentals.

And to make it worse, on what was originally a lovely day, it started lashing with about 10 minutes to go just to cap off the misery.

Anyway, well done to Galway, they exploited everything they could today and unlike some, their supporters never rubbed it in, they just cheered on their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Compton was ****e to be fair, he kept jumping with 1 hand trying to break kickouts, when we didnt have support men anywhere near him. I thought donie smith had a decent start when he came on, at least looked like he wanted the ball. Kilbride looked out of it today, he obviously wasn't fit.or up.for the game at all. Purcell was useless, shouldn't have been on the pitch.

Not to many good points for the rossies, hopefully a better performance next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

The flying start to the league hasn't done roscommon any favours and papered over a lot of cracks. Instead of finding out deficiencies early you've ending up only discovering the issues once the other teams are up to full fitness and the intensity in the tackle has rachetted up a couple of notches.
    In fairness I think only 3 teams would have lived with Galway today and your next opponents are no world beaters. The team can either roll over or put today to the back of their mind and push on to the quarters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Massively disappointing day.

Kevin Mc spoke about the number of mistakes made by both the players and the management team in the drawn game and how there would be a massive improvement in the replay. Well it looks like it's a case of talk is cheap...

What was actually learned from the replay? Same ponderous build up play out of defence that is so slow and laborious does it even constitute a running game. No variation in our play and the system seems to be so ingrained in the players that they don't seem to have the initiative to try something different when the opportunity arises eg. On at least 3 occasions we were hand passing laterally at midfield when Murtagh and Kilbride were all by themselves with their markers and no sweeper in front of them, one good kick pass and we had 8 Galway men taken out of the game.
    As was said previously the naivety of the 3 goals conceded was mind boggling, really basic mistakes for each of them but they were finished extremely well.

Not 1 substitution or positional switch in the first half with the game speeding away from us. What were management thinking Fintan Cregg was going to do in the 4 mins of second half they gave him before calling him ashore?

Done right the running game is a great tactic but not the way we do it. Utterly predictable what we were doing and once Galway did the obvious thing and pushed up on our kick outs we were bunched. Massive task to recover for next weekend now...

Ps. Well done Galway, deserving champions really kicked on from last weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Management need a complete rethink about the players starting and whatever 'system' they want. I didn't see any

As a Galway man first thing I'd say is commiserations to the Rossies, I've no doubt ye can play better than that.

As for the management, you'd have to question what they're doing with this team. Last Sunday and again today there seemed to be no structure, no gameplan, players unsure of what they were supposed to be doing, it was like watching an orchestra of good musicians being lead by a drunk conductor waving his hands around at random.

And no offence meant to Fergal O'Donnell and Kevin McStay who were both excellent players but I can't fathom what exactly they're trying to do with this Roscommon team.

It will be tough to pick it up now for a qualifier next weekend but I'm convinced there's more in this Roscommon team than we've seen the last 2 Sundays. Unfortunately a 6 day turnaround doesn't give the management much time to work with, and that's assuming they even have a plan to begin with. They definitely need to tear up the script from the last 2 Sundays and write another one pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

As a follower of a team who are close to my heart for family reasons and now living abroad, I have only seen a couple of Roscommon games on the TV and can only judge on that but on each occassion they have looked like a talented group, who are weak defensively but each game they played it seemed that they had no clear idea of what they were supposed to be doing. This is not inter county standard. I also see guys like Donie Shine play against Sligo and it seems he is there for reputation as his fitness and movement looked very poor, at club level he would be told to get fitter.

They have a talented bunch of players who could certainly break into the Top 4, not sure if they will reach the levels of Dublin, as they are so far ahead of the others. But if you look at Tyrone, Mayo or Donegal they are nothing special but they are well organised teams who each know their roles. Roscommon need someone at the helm who will bring them to that level or else this generation of players will be lost and will be a case of what ifs

Because of their group of players too, they could attract the very best coaches too. They could tempt McGuinness back into management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

kilns wrote: »
    Because of their group of players too, they could attract the very best coaches too. They could tempt McGuinness back into management

:p

At least you gave me a laugh this morning after a pretty bad day at the office yesterday, and last week.

There are at least 3 players getting their places on reputation/name alone.

Simple solution is to play players in their natural positions - eg Daly to CHB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭mjp

Clarke next Saturday in neutral venue. Thinking could possibly be back to pearse stadium as there isn't many other standout options suitable for both sides. Be hard pick up players for this battle against clare side who have their tails up after some good wins over last few weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

As a follower of a team who are close to my heart for family reasons and now living abroad, I have only seen a couple of Roscommon games on the TV and can only judge on that but on each occassion they have looked like a talented group, who are weak defensively but each game they played it seemed that they had no clear idea of what they were supposed to be doing. This is not inter county standard. I also see guys like Donie Shine play against Sligo and it seems he is there for reputation as his fitness and movement looked very poor, at club level he would be told to get fitter.

They have a talented bunch of players who could certainly break into the Top 4, not sure if they will reach the levels of Dublin, as they are so far ahead of the others. But if you look at Tyrone, Mayo or Donegal they are nothing special but they are well organised teams who each know their roles. Roscommon need someone at the helm who will bring them to that level or else this generation of players will be lost and will be a case of what ifs

yeah hes going to leave a well paid job at a big football club to manage Roscommon :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Roscommon are rubbish at the back. Completely rubbish. Made Galway look like 1998 Galway yesterday. The forwards are decent. But no more than that. Ciaran Murtagh is a very good player but the rest? Decent, no more no less.

You think McGuinness would jeopardise his guru status taking over the Rossies? Happy to take a bet on that with anyone. Zero chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭paulbok

Clare game in Salthill? FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

paulbok wrote: »
    Clare game in Salthill? FFS

Wonder will Roscommon bring many fans. Roscommon usually bring a lot of supporters but after yesterday's poor performance and it being in salthill, I can see a few not having the appetite to go it and watching on TV instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Wonder will Roscommon bring many fans. Roscommon usually bring a lot of supporters but after yesterday's poor performance and it being in salthill, I can see a few not having the appetite to go it and watching on TV instead.

Hard to see many making the trip now that it's in Salthill and on TV but I'll make the journey as long as it's not pissing rain. Don't fancy getting drowned on again after the last two Sundays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

pure useless they should be ashamed of themself's, it looked like they didnt give a **** and the managers looked like lost fellas on the side scratching there heads, afraid of their life's, fair play to Galway they deserved the win on both days

I shall assess the weather before heading to salthill. Might stay over Saturday night.
    The arts festival is in full swing, so traffic will be heavy.
    Clare are a solid outfit, nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I shall assess the weather before heading to salthill. Might stay over Saturday night.
    The arts festival is in full swing, so traffic will be heavy.
    Clare are a solid outfit, nothing more.

Good weather, Arts festival verging into Race week. Be a great atmosphere around town. Stay over and go on the piss!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lets all just take a minute and re-read the bit in bold again.

Lets revisit this post sometime in the summer, because it's in summer that counties get jealous of where other senior teams are going, not in March.

I know I should not quote myself but let's re-read.

Yawn!!

Quoting yourself in the first person.
    Get a life

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Quoting yourself in the first person.
    Get a life

He's a big man that lad. Scrolling back through posts from March to re-quote himself..... enough said!!

On a different note... any ideas on which team will change strip for Saturday?

blazermel wrote: »
    He's a big man that lad. Scrolling back through posts from March to re-quote himself..... enough said!!

On a different note... any ideas on which team will change strip for Saturday?

Hopefully the Rossies will have the changed strip and that it will be one of many changes to freshen things up on Saturday.

Any thoughts on selection I would go with
    O'Malley
    Seanie Carty McInerny
    Murray Daly Keenan
    Cregg
    C Shine Corcoran
    Harney C Murtagh E Smith
    D murtagh S Kilbride

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I doubt there will be that many changes but do expect a few.Shine and Murtagh weren't even on the bench for final so can't see either starting.

Advertisement