Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

yabadabado wrote: »
    I doubt there will be that many changes but do expect a few.Shine and Murtagh weren't even on the bench for final so can't see either starting.

Will Kilbride start for Roscommon the next day? Thought he was poor the last day from the start

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Not sure if he will.He was poor yesterday but then nearly everyone was.I love to know what the story is with Murtagh I was told he was fit so very strange decision to not have him in the squad.
    We need to make changes at midfield and CHB we were destroyed there on Sunday and Clare's midfielders are a good duo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Not sure if he will.He was poor yesterday but then nearly everyone was.I love to know what the story is with Murtagh I was told he was fit so very strange decision to not have him in the squad.
    We need to make changes at midfield and CHB we were destroyed there on Sunday and Clare's midfielders are a good duo.

Daly needs to be put back to CHB and C Shine brought in to nullify Gary Brennan I really don't see any other option and it's now time management start changing things as it will freshen things up. I will be shocked but not surprised if we go with similar to last Sunday. How Shine and Murtagh are not in the 26 beggars belief.

Will Kilbride start for Roscommon the next day? Thought he was poor the last day from the start

He was poor but with quick ball in he will do damage.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Badly need to change things up especially around the middle. Hard to understand how other options haven't been explored since this has been a problem area for us all year. Would like to see Ultan and Tom Corcoran get a start at the weekend, any news on how far away Kevin Higgins is from making an appearance? I wouldn't like to see Senan in there again - his lack of pace was very much exposed the last day and on previous occasions. I feel the likes of the Smiths bring a bit more pace and imagination to the forward line - there needs to be tough calls made but whether the management have the courage to do so is another thing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭degzs

I doubt there will be that many changes but do expect a few.Shine and Murtagh weren't even on the bench for final so can't see either starting.

He looked well off the mark, slow to the ball maybe carrying an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

kilns wrote: »
    As a follower of a team who are close to my heart for family reasons and now living abroad, I have only seen a couple of Roscommon games on the TV and can only judge on that but on each occassion they have looked like a talented group, who are weak defensively but each game they played it seemed that they had no clear idea of what they were supposed to be doing. This is not inter county standard. I also see guys like Donie Shine play against Sligo and it seems he is there for reputation as his fitness and movement looked very poor, at club level he would be told to get fitter.

They have a talented bunch of players who could certainly break into the Top 4, not sure if they will reach the levels of Dublin, as they are so far ahead of the others. But if you look at Tyrone, Mayo or Donegal they are nothing special but they are well organised teams who each know their roles. Roscommon need someone at the helm who will bring them to that level or else this generation of players will be lost and will be a case of what ifs

Because of their group of players too, they could attract the very best coaches too. They could tempt McGuinness back into management

yeah hes going to leave a well paid job at a big football club to manage Roscommon :pac:

Argument could be made against the big football club part...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

kilns wrote: »
    Argument could be made against the big football club part...
    Go on then, make the argument, they are a huge club, stuck in a poor league granted and havent made much of an impression in Europe but their facillities and the support structures etc that McGuinness has to work with are right up there with the best. Pity the players arent :mad: I think he sees his medium term future in soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

does anyone know what wrong with diarmuid Murtagh, one fella told me he's injured and someone else said he got the boot from the panel

Haven't heard anything, if he is not in the 26 for Saturday something must be wrong. The lad can change a game on his own, he must be in the team if fully fit on Saturday. We shall see when the team is named on Thursday evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭patmac

Vital match against Clare for the Rossies, defeat would set ye back horrendously, victory and a good showing in the quarters could salvage the season.

D Murtagh is 100% fit.

patmac wrote: »
    Vital match against Clare for the Rossies, defeat would set ye back horrendously, victory and a good showing in the quarters could salvage the season.

If Clare do beat Roscommon, do ye think McStay and O'Donnell will be there next year?

If Clare do beat Roscommon, do ye think McStay and O'Donnell will be there next year?

Yes without a doubt.

I know things look bleak now but the year hasn't been a complete disaster either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I hope they do stick it out,ditto Liam McHale.All very decent football men.The year has been far from a disaster,you can build on your league division one status.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Great run in division 1, Connacht Final.taken on its own, that's good enough to stay.

Perhaps, considering the humiliation in Castlebar, it shouldn't be. But would we expect to beat Mayo had we met them instead?

I do think that these players are better than what we saw in the last 2 games. The Escape From NY should also not be ignored.

How we can comprehensively defeat Donegal in the league and then nearly succumb to NY baffles me. How we fought back in Salthill and were completely out fought, out played and out thought in the replay has me worried.

Consistency is vital in management but it would be remiss of the CB in allowing those factors to be ignored because we made the Connacht Final and got the qualifiers.

But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

John Evans was given 3 years and looked like he would get a 4th year until a last minute change even though he failed to bring Roscommon to a Connnacht in his term and in year 2 they were knocked out of the championship at home by Armagh who where relegated to Div 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

John Evans was given 3 years and looked like he would get a 4th year until a last minute change even though he failed to bring Roscommon to a Connnacht in his term and in year 2 they were knocked out of the championship at home by Armagh who where relegated to Div 3.

I think it was the defeat to Sligo that did most of the damage and losing to Fermanagh was the icing on the cake

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I think it was the defeat to Sligo that did most of the damage and losing to Fermanagh was the icing on the cake

A few sponsors had a big say in the change in management if rumours are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

does anyone know what wrong with diarmuid Murtagh, one fella told me he's injured and someone else said he got the boot from the panel

He took part in A vs B game the other night at training so I would like to think we will see him in action on Saturday.

• Advertisement

He took part in A vs B game the other night at training so I would like to think we will see him in action on Saturday.

He has been fit now for nearly 2 weeks .Its seems strange why he wasn't even on the bench Sunday.

He has been fit now for nearly 2 weeks .Its seems strange why he wasn't even on the bench Sunday.

What's story with Niall Carty? 1 of 2 defenders on the bench last weekend and still doesn't get a run even when our starting full back is black carded.

What's story with Niall Carty? 1 of 2 defenders on the bench last weekend and still doesn't get a run even when our starting full back is black carded.

No idea,he has been on the bench all championship so is fit.He was captain and FB last year and I thought he would be the replacement when Collins was out.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Team isn't be named until Saturday morning according to Roscommon GAA on Twitter/Facebook.. bit strange?

blazermel wrote: »
    Team isn't be named until Saturday morning according to Roscommon GAA on Twitter/Facebook.. bit strange?
    Yeah usually named by Thursday night.
    I'dI'd rather if the team didn't have to be named until say 2hrs before kickoff compared to the way it is now of completely different teams named and then starring match day.

Yeah usually named by Thursday night.
    I'dI'd rather if the team didn't have to be named until say 2hrs before kickoff compared to the way it is now of completely different teams named and then starring match day.

Often with 6 day turn around. Teams aren't named until the day due to niggles etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Renegade1

Very very poor display at the weekend first time I've ever left a Ross game early! What I couldn't understand was the complete lack of a plan once Galway pushed up on our kick outs it was amateur stuff! Can't understand why changes weren't made after 20 minutes and why I.Kilbride and D.Murtagh weren't involved! An awful lot of rumours of discontent in the camp and that 5 players have walked off the panel but hopefully it's all bull and we show up at the weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

yeah hes going to leave a well paid job at a big football club to manage Roscommon :pac:

Hes said the one team hed like to have a crack with is Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Renegade1 wrote: »
    Very very poor display at the weekend first time I've ever left a Ross game early! What I couldn't understand was the complete lack of a plan once Galway pushed up on our kick outs it was amateur stuff! Can't understand why changes weren't made after 20 minutes and why I.Kilbride and D.Murtagh weren't involved! An awful lot of rumours of discontent in the camp and that 5 players have walked off the panel but hopefully it's all bull and we show up at the weekend!

You'd better show up!

You're costing me points over on the pools competition.

• Advertisement

Lenton in for Purcell is only change for today's game. Seems a massive show of faith in players that Mcstay admitted were beaten all over the pitch last weekend.

Advertisement