Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lenton in for Purcell is only change for today's game. Seems a massive show of faith in players that Mcstay admitted were beaten all over the pitch last weekend.

That team wont start .Expect 4 changes before throw in and a few positional moves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

yabadabado wrote: »
    That team wont start .Expect 4 changes before throw in and a few positional moves.

Yeah heard Devaney Kilbride and fintan Cregg ain't starting

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Really hoping Diarmuid Murtagh is brought in. Disappointed not to have seen him feature so far this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Donal shine,Harney, kilroy and enda smith are all starting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

blazermel wrote: »
    Really hoping Diarmuid Murtagh is brought in. Disappointed not to have seen him feature so far this year.

Started v Leitrim. Surely has to feature today ya would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

If Pearse Stadium was hit by a tornado I don't think anyone would shed a tear.

Started v Leitrim. Surely has to feature today ya would think.

Apologies - that game feels so long ago now my memory must be waning. Hope they get the team selection and positions right today, the team has a point to prove after the decimation last Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

Syferus wrote: »
    If Pearse Stadium was hit by a tornado I don't think anyone would shed a tear.

Wasn't it hit by one two weeks ago... and pretty much every match I've seen played there come to think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 mean mr mustard

Kilroy, Smith, Harney and Shine starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Abysmal

• Advertisement

Absolutely clueless stuff. Dreadful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Whoever is manning roscommon's Twitter a/c gave up after the 1at half!

Congrats to Clare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Shocking performance - very very disappointing....:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

hard luck today lads , the so called second chance was anything but for ye today , in my opinion it must have been impossible for roscommon to motivate themselves after last week , and the prize for wining today was'nt the most enticing either against kerry .... beat them face dublin it was in the players heads no doubt over the week that had they won connacht they would have had a real chance of making a semi final place at worst

i had money on ye after the league campaign to win connacht , but it did seem that too much was put in at the start of the year and in the last few weeks roscommon looked a very tired team , still a very young and talented team the world wont end after days like today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

hard luck today lads , the so called second chance was anything but for ye today , in my opinion it must have been impossible for roscommon to motivate themselves after last week , and the prize for wining today was'nt the most enticing either against kerry .... beat them face dublin it was in the players heads no doubt over the week that had they won connacht they would have had a real chance of making a semi final place at worst

i had money on ye after the league campaign to win connacht , but it did seem that too much was put in at the start of the year and in the last few weeks roscommon looked a very tired team , still a very young and talented team the world wont end after days like today

I'm confused - why would it not be enticing for an inter county player to play Kerry at Croke Park? Surely, that is something that many footballers aspire to :confused:

I'm confused - why would it not be enticing for an inter county player to play Kerry at Croke Park? Surely, that is something that many footballers aspire to :confused:

the route to the final is the problem rather then the opposition surly galway are much happier being on the opposite side of the draw to the big two with a more realistic path to the all ireland final , the rosies would not fear any of kerry or dublin ,but there confidence was low all week had they beat clare today it would have still looked like a step too far the next day out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

the route to the final is the problem rather then the opposition surly galway are much happier being on the opposite side of the draw to the big two with a more realistic path to the all ireland final , the rosies would not fear any of kerry or dublin ,but there confidence was low all week had they beat clare today it would have still looked like a step too far the next day out

Their confidence was low all week, because they just got mugged by Div 2 Galway presumably.....but they wouldn't fear facing the last two All Ireland champions? That doesn't make any sense. If a bad loss to Galway, rocked their confidence that badly, what on earth would the prospect of playing Kerry in Croke Park do their confidence, if it is that shaky?

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Their confidence was low all week, because they just got mugged by Div 2 Galway presumably.....but they wouldn't fear facing the last two All Ireland champions? That doesn't make any sense. If a bad loss to Galway, rocked their confidence that badly, what on earth would the prospect of playing Kerry in Croke Park do their confidence, if it is that shaky?

just trying to cover all the angle's , i said in the first post that they would not have fancied playing kerry next week had they won today (they wouldn't have feared them but would not have fancied it all the same) , basically i was saying it would have been hard to forgive a roscommon player for thinking the season was almost done after the replay given the side of the draw they were facing

they have had a great year maybe next year if they concentrate on squad rotation for the league and go all out for the championship they would have a real chance of rattling a competitive connacht championship ,still a very young too so plenty of time to make an impact

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Well maybe the phrase "Team X wouldn't fear Team Y" is just a bit of a cliche. It doesn't really mean anything, unless it's put into action. Given what we've seen of them in the Champo so far, I think they'd $hit their knickers at the prospect of a big day out in Croker, against Kerry of all teams. Kerry would eat them for breakfast. The fear and tentativeness on display against Galway (didn't see todays game) was light years away from the gung-ho, swashbuckling displays that got everyones attention back in the Spring. Pity !

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Well maybe the phrase "Team X wouldn't fear Team Y" is just a bit of a cliche. It doesn't really mean anything, unless it's put into action. Given what we've seen of them in the Champo so far, I think they'd $hit their knickers at the prospect of a big day out in Croker, against Kerry of all teams. Kerry would eat them for breakfast. The fear and tentativeness on display against Galway (didn't see todays game) was light years away from the gung-ho, swashbuckling displays that got everyones attention back in the Spring. Pity !

yeah i was hoping they would build on that success in the spring , they put up some high scores against some really descent teams , but you really need to kick on again come championship they will learn from it though no doubt , as i said above there shouldnt be pressure put on them with such a young age profile in the team

you said you didnt dee today's game ....maybe better if you wait for the highlights tomorrow night , it was not a good game especially the second half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Colash

Would be nice to see the older style ros football coming back . Like the days when francie grehan at 6 would run the length of the field like a bulldozer or seamie o Neil would dominate midfield with catches . Roscommon showed today that they are a team that is very unsure of them selves, an it's a pity as this team is full of talent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,261 ✭✭✭threeball

Colash wrote: »
    Would be nice to see the older style ros football coming back . Like the days when francie grehan at 6 would run the length of the field like a bulldozer or seamie o Neil would dominate midfield with catches . Roscommon showed today that they are a team that is very unsure of them selves, an it's a pity as this team is full of talent

Those days are gone for every team. The best teams in the country can't do that now. Roscommon never found their weaknesses early in the year and got found out in championship. If management and players learn they can adapt and look forward to next year with some optimism. If not it'll be deja vu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭galwaylad14

Before I start, obviously no intercounty manager gets paid but if I was a Rossie then the following random words (and I stress that they're complete random) would annoy me

Kevin, 60k, McStay, +expenses, championship, Sligo, Leitrim, New York

Anyway leaving aside those random words, the man should be ran out of Roscommon. Horrific is a very generous description of their performances over the last 2 weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Manager always cops the flak but i'd have harsher words for the players tbh.

You have to make it happen for yourself first and foremost. Too many of them showed no conviction in their play when it mattered. A pass, a run, a tackle, a shot etc. It was pervasive. They simply rolled over when the going got tough. Thats unpalatable and perhaps a little blunt but its the truth.

I'm sure McStay has done a load of work in training but if the players can't back it up with a strong mentality you're going nowhere. Too fragile imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

corny wrote: »
    Manager always cops the flak but i'd have harsher words for the players tbh.

You have to make it happen for yourself first and foremost. Too many of them showed no conviction in their play when it mattered. A pass, a run, a tackle, a shot etc. It was pervasive. They simply rolled over when the going got tough. Thats unpalatable and perhaps a little blunt but its the truth.

I'm sure McStay has done a load of work in training but if the players can't back it up with a strong mentality you're going nowhere. Too fragile imo.

I posted on here during the league that there seemed to be a lot of changing the team and that it couldn't be good for a team in roscommons position. I was shot down pretty quickly by other posters. But I still think it's a valid point. People were constantly saying 'we will have X back for the championship' to improve the team etc. but they were overlooking how these players were missing a league, akin to a pre-season. That's ok for a seasoned player like Sean cavanagh or diarmuid Connolly or cook cooper. But it's huge for young players. I'm almost certain that it's a big factor in galways run this year - there are some very limited footballers in galways defence but their team has been so settled since the fbd that they've learnt to play together as a unit. Roscommon though seem to have constantly tinkered with their team since the start of the year. So for me, management has to take responsibility for not managing to establish something of a settled team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I posted on here during the league that there seemed to be a lot of changing the team and that it couldn't be good for a team in roscommons position. I was shot down pretty quickly by other posters. But I still think it's a valid point. People were constantly saying 'we will have X back for the championship' to improve the team etc. but they were overlooking how these players were missing a league, akin to a pre-season. That's ok for a seasoned player like Sean cavanagh or diarmuid Connolly or cook cooper. But it's huge for young players. I'm almost certain that it's a big factor in galways run this year - there are some very limited footballers in galways defence but their team has been so settled since the fbd that they've learnt to play together as a unit. Roscommon though seem to have constantly tinkered with their team since the start of the year. So for me, management has to take responsibility for not managing to establish something of a settled team.

I think thats overstated. Roscommon were no different to any other side in the league when it comes to giving players a chance. The bulk of that side yesterday were playing in the latter stages of the league and the early championship. Plenty of time to get things right. Also, I wouldn't accept the players are unsure from a tactical standpoint either.

As i said, i believe first and foremost players have to look at themselves and their own performance. Far too many of them just went missing and if thats not addressed (or glossed over in the chorus blaming the manager) Roscommon won't build on the promise they showed in the league this league.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Colash wrote: »

Sure, weren't they

A bit like the current team?

That team also excelled in the league and bar two games, threw up the white flag (before leaving the dressing room) when they played Mayo and Galway. Same team that got hockeyed in Castlebar in 1999 after their run in 1998 and decent league campaign, less said about 2000 and 2002

They also heavily relied on the Lohan brothers for free kicks (or Dolan's FK in 2003)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

I have to agree with 'corny' here. The players really have to look at themselves.

Almost all of them performed to a level far, far below what we know they're capable of in both the replay and yesterday. Some of the fundamentals were so bad that you must wonder about the mindset of the players.

Now, some might say that points to unrest in the camp, etc. but my way of thinking has always been, it doesn't matter if you like your manager or not, it doesn't matter if you like your teammates or not, you have been picked to represent your county and you go out and do your absolute best no matter what the background or circumstances are.

It might sound harsh, but I really didn't think that was the case in the first half yesterday. The ease with which Clare players ran past Roscommon players was just shocking. It was boys and men. It honestly looked like a lot of them just weren't tuned in or really pushing themselves. In fairness they upped it in the second half, but that was the way they should be in all matches, all the time. Your performance levels become a habit the more often you do them.

In relation to the league performances and teams picked, the reason people were so surprised by Roscommon was because there were so many injuries. In spite of that Roscommon won games they weren't expected to with teams you knew weren't full strength. And in truth we still don't have a full-strength outfit on the field, but that doesn't excuse the last few performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

megadodge wrote: »
    I have to agree with 'corny' here. The players really have to look at themselves.

Almost all of them performed to a level far, far below what we know they're capable of in both the replay and yesterday. Some of the fundamentals were so bad that you must wonder about the mindset of the players.

Now, some might say that points to unrest in the camp, etc. but my way of thinking has always been, it doesn't matter if you like your manager or not, it doesn't matter if you like your teammates or not, you have been picked to represent your county and you go out and do your absolute best no matter what the background or circumstances are.

It might sound harsh, but I really didn't think that was the case in the first half yesterday. The ease with which Clare players ran past Roscommon players was just shocking. It was boys and men. It honestly looked like a lot of them just weren't tuned in or really pushing themselves. In fairness they upped it in the second half, but that was the way they should be in all matches, all the time. Your performance levels become a habit the more often you do them.

In relation to the league performances and teams picked, the reason people were so surprised by Roscommon was because there were so many injuries. In spite of that Roscommon won games they weren't expected to with teams you knew weren't full strength. And in truth we still don't have a full-strength outfit on the field, but that doesn't excuse the last few performances.

I was amazed that Rosscommon didn't try to score when in possession inside the Galway 40 with 30 seconds of injury time remaining in the drawn match. It says a lot about their lack of leadership and direction. I think Ross have as many quality players as a any team outside the top 3 or 4 but they never seem to have a cohesive game plan or even a collective drive. They look half arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Before I start, obviously no intercounty manager gets paid but if I was a Rossie then the following random words (and I stress that they're complete random) would annoy me

Kevin, 60k, McStay, +expenses, championship, Sligo, Leitrim, New York

Anyway leaving aside those random words, the man should be ran out of Roscommon. Horrific is a very generous description of their performances over the last 2 weekends

It was his financial demands that killed any chance he had of getting the Mayo job. Dont know who's footing the bill in Roscommon though

Advertisement