Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Off The Ball posed the question earlier. Is it the County Board or a financial backer that was making the comments that caused FOD to stand down? Or who do ye think?

It beggars belief that once again (after a great league but admittedly underwhelming championship) we have imploded due to internal unrest/politics.

It makes it even tougher when you see Tipp and to a lesser extent Clare do so well. Hurling is their game yet they played out of their skin and achieved.

I'm pissed off. Connacht was do-able. first year of a three year plan and it's in jeopardy already. I hope McStay sticks around though, we need some sort of continuity.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

Nigel Dineen putting his name in the hat!!
    Makes for an interesting few weeks ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

The coaching and management structures in the county haven't really brought through any decent coaches or capable managers

It's a big area of deficiency in the county from U16 level up to adult

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭rosknight

That's a bit harsh OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rosknight wrote: »
    Nigel Dineen putting his name in the hat!!
    Makes for an interesting few weeks ahead.

Honestly I would give the job to Dineen. All the players aside from 3-4 worked under him at under 21 level and at least he would embrace the attacking ambitions of the players and we wouldn't have to witness the mind numbing tactics we saw in the two Galway games, Clare and first half against Sligo

Of course defensively we would most likely be worse under Dineen but lets be honest attempting to successfully get this current batch of Roscommon players to defend as a unit is probably not happening at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

God himself couldn't do that Job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I think Kevin McStay lost a lot of credibility during this years Championship.I just wonder how as a winning All Ireland club Manager and high profile straight talking Sunday Game analyst,could he jointly manage a team to such inept negative "puke" football that Roscommon played?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

.....could he jointly manage a team to such inept negative "puke" football that Roscommon played?

Monday morning quarterback.

A bigger mystery is how certain high profile individuals in Roscommon think Liam McHale has more to offer that Fergal O' Donnell.
    I suppose it pays to marry well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Monday morning quarterback.

A bigger mystery is how certain high profile individuals in Roscommon think Liam McHale has more to offer that Fergal O' Donnell.
    I suppose it pays to marry well.

Why does there appear to be a black card on McHale? Mayo did not want him involved in the set up either. Though he said a few things about the team in the media, all fair of course. I liked McHale as a footballer. He talks a good game on the radio, I am sure he is someone worth listening to and good on the fitness side, but he has not done much as a coach or manager on his own. Clare - sure Maughen won them a Munster in the 1990's

Funny, this day ten years ago Fergal was getting ready for the All Ireland Minor Final in Croke Park , 6 years ago he landed Roscommon a Connacht Senior title , the first since he captained the team to success in 2001. How times change and wait for no man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Why does there appear to be a black card on McHale? Mayo did not want him involved in the set up either. Though he said a few things about the team in the media, all fair of course. I liked McHale as a footballer. He talks a good game on the radio, I am sure he is someone worth listening to and good on the fitness side, but he has not done much as a coach or manager on his own. Clare - sure Maughen won them a Munster in the 1990's

Funny, this day ten years ago Fergal was getting ready for the All Ireland Minor Final in Croke Park , 6 years ago he landed Roscommon a Connacht Senior title , the first since he captained the team to success in 2001. How times change and wait for no man

This is just my opinion based on what I have seen and heard about McHale over the years.

I get the impression that he is a man who's ideas on training and preparation would be better suited to 1996 than 2016.

I don't think he is as clued into the modern aspects of the more professional game that exists today, not the way other back rooms are.

I may be wrong but that's the impression that I get.
    I think the Mayo players rejecting him tells a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

So is Dineen applying to be McStays co-manager or manager in his own right? how does FOD's resignation affect the overall agreement McStay had with co board? :confused:

Mangers and coaches cannot have media gigs nowadays

Too much conflict of interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Mangers and coaches cannot have media gigs nowadays

Too much conflict of interest

Not necessarily true. Inter county managers often pop up on the Sunday Game sofa, after their county has been knocked out of the championship. Derek McGrath was doing the AI hurling final preview show on RTE, just a couple of weeks after Waterford were knocked out in the semi finals. I do agree that its not workable over the course of the summer, while their county is still involved.

Does McHale have any formal training in sports science/coaching/strength & conditioning etc etc? Isn't he a journalist by profession?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I don't believe Liam McHale is a journalist by profession... Unaware of what occupation he holds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Sorry. Was getting my Liams mixed up. Was thinking of Liam Hayes, who wrote the Kevin Heffernan book. The nerves have me brain frazzled. :o

I think Kevin McStay lost a lot of credibility during this years Championship.I just wonder how as a winning All Ireland club Manager and high profile straight talking Sunday Game analyst,could he jointly manage a team to such inept negative "puke" football that Roscommon played?

Yes and after playing completely different football in the league

It wasn't just the style of play either, some of the selections were baffling. In the connacht final U21 Cathal Compton started his first championship game at full forward on his own (despite the fact he played at midfield at under age). Would be equivalent of mayo starting Stephen Coen or Matthew Ruane at full forward on their own on Sunday.

For the guy who asked Nigel Dineen is going for job on his own. Its either him or McStay

seligehgit wrote: »
    I don't believe Liam McHale is a journalist by profession... Unaware of what occupation he holds?

Last I heard he was in Coca-Cola in Ballina, I'm not sure exactly what he did there though, possibly a lab technician of some description.

An old flame of mine went there to interview for a similar position and he was "floating around" as she was been given a tour of where she'd be working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

padd b1975 wrote:
    Last I heard he was in Coca-Cola in Ballina, I'm not sure exactly what he did there though, possibly a lab technician of some description.

Maybe he is chief bottler.

Jeju wrote: »
    Maybe he is chief bottler.

Well, he is from Mayo

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Well, he is from Mayo

Hope you enjoy the match tomorrow.
    May your HD be crystal clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Hope you enjoy the match tomorrow.
    May your HD be crystal clear.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Dineen pulls out of manager race
    I have strong reservations about the integrity of the selection and recruitment process and I have raised these concerns directly with the County Board who refused to address them.

Ouch!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Pique wrote: »

Who was on his management team.? Same lads from the Under 21 set up?

Shame. We can't be loosing lads of his standing over needless in fighting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

A fairly sour statement.He came into the race attacking McStay and left attacking the county board.This was a farce from day one McStay should have been just let do the job instead of opening it back up for selection he was given a 3 year deal last tear and he added FOD so don't see the need for it to go to vote again.
    Dineen seems to have had little or no support at any level including players.
    As for his management team I heard a few names mentioned but not fair to say here now when it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

We get the winners of Leitrim/London at home in the Connaght semi final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

on paper should make the connacht final - but you know us......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I'd be expecting us to be able to get past Leitrim or London, but even if we do, not great prep for a Connacht final against a battle hardened Galway or Mayo side. As Dessie Dolan said, the house needs to be in order or it'll be the same old story. We'll see where we are after the league!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

An actual gameplan would be give us a much better chance this year imo. Just my opinion though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

The mess that has not developed with Roscommon could easily have been avoided if more of effort was put in to keep O Donnell from jumping ship.

Some claim joint management doesn't work maybe so while others reckon Roscommon had a disastrous year and needed another change in management.

Is it fair to judge a management team on one year especially one that is managing a team in development mode? How bad was the year really?

Before this year Roscommon hadn't stayed up in division one since 2002. Hadn't reached a Connacht final for five years yes only beat Sligo,Leitrim,New York to reach it but only last year Roscommon lost to Sligo with a manager that was in his 3rd year.

The last two championship results and performances v Galway,Clare was terrible and big questions need to be asked why however the Salthill final was the first time Roscommon got a championship result v Galway since 2001. Small steps I know but it seems some expect giant leaps from Roscommon when they are clearly not ready to do so.

• Advertisement

Before this year Roscommon hadn't stayed up in division one since 2002. Hadn't reached a Connacht final for five years yes only beat Sligo,Leitrim,New York to reach it but only last year Roscommon lost to Sligo with a manager that was in his 3rd year.

For which he was fired.

Roscommon were 8 points down at home to Sligo at half time this year and strolling it. Sligos whole game plan was turned upside when marren (who almost single handedly beat us last year) was black carded and they never recovered

New York should have beaten Roscommon in the first game, another 2 minutes and they would have!
    he last two championship results and performances v Galway,Clare was terrible and big questions need to be asked why however the Salthill final was the first time Roscommon got a championship result v Galway since 2001. Small steps I know but it seems some expect giant leaps from Roscommon when they are clearly not ready to do so.

Giant leaps..nobody is expecting Roscommon to win or even get to an Ireland final but they should not be losing by 8 points at home to a division 3 side, 17 points down at one stage to Galway and get absolutely embarrassed by another division 3 side in Clare who should have won that match by 10+ points

The championship performances were simply not good enough this year regardless of the fact they stumbled into a Connacht final.

You can't just wait another 3-5 years either. Guys like cregg and kilbride are 29-30 now and they could end their careers with just one Connacht medal, even the 2006 minors are fast approaching 30.

The time for excuses are over and its time to show something at championship level, the money paid to mcstay and his team warrants far more than what was delivered in 2016

Advertisement