Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thatsabirdie

Syferus wrote: »
    Some of his tactics were way off with Brigids. They usually lost the middle in the serious games over the last two years by noticeable margins and let Senan Kilbride go anywhere but the full-forward line.

As we are discussing managers & their abilities, I have attended alot of the Brigids games in the last couple of years & I am interested what tactics were so "way off", also if I remember correctly Senan Kilbride started in the full-forward line in every game under O'Brien - so I don't agree with that one at all, however in my opinion O'Brien is not the right man.
    The Brigids success was down a lot to the selectors & the management team with Noel have a small enough part to play in it, I don't believe he would have the overall energy & organisational skills to undertake what the new Roscommon manager will be faced with.
    If I could pick, I would love if Fergal was to come back but I cannot see it happening - we can all dream though, here's to hoping they pick the right man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Senan has a bad habit (at senior this year it happened as well) of wandering out for balls and then being caught out of position and not being there as the target man for long passes.

The Corofin game last November was a gaudy explain of mis-use of Senan. I remember Frankie having at least four frees or passing opportunities where he clearly wanted to go deep but his main target was parallel to the ball. To extrapolate out, most of the Brigid's team fell far deep trying to defend a minuscule lead for the last 10-15 minutes of that game, to the point that when Brigid's got obsession Frankie literally had no one inside to pass the ball to, you could see the frustration in his face. It was Frankie and not O'Brien that forced more of the players forward that day. That tactic nearly cost Brigid's the Connacht title.

As long as we're trying to play the 'I've been to lots of matches so I know better!' game, I can assure you I've been plenty of club games and have seen Senan played incorrectly regularly.

Fergie did a great job at utilising Senan in last year's championship by giving him a huge box of space to operate on the side of his favoured foot. With him it's all about creating one-on-ones close to goal because with enough good supply he's close to unstoppable.

O'Brien has a good track record and deserves to be considered, but there are flaws in his tactics that need to be expressed and not ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,547 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

McHale is a selector with Brigid's under McStay. I'd question hiring him as the manager unless he just blows them away in interviews but he could be an option for a selector.
    Mcstay n mchale are brothers in law .

• Registered Users Posts: 4 thatsabirdie

Senan has a bad habit (at senior this year it happened as well) of wandering out for balls and then being caught out of position and not being there as the target man for long passes.

The Corofin game last November was a gaudy explain of mis-use of Senan. I remember Frankie having at least four frees or passing opportunities where he clearly wanted to go deep but his main target was parallel to the ball. To extrapolate out, most of the Brigid's team fell far deep trying to defend a minuscule lead for the last 10-15 minutes of that game, to the point that when Brigid's got obsession Frankie literally had no one inside to pass the ball to, you could see the frustration in his face. It was Frankie and not O'Brien that forced more of the players forward that day. That tactic nearly cost Brigid's the Connacht title.

I agree with most of what you are saying here however I firmly believe this is a fault of Senans rather than the tactics, I know that time and time again in different games he was told to stay in the full forward line where he is most dangerous & best utilised but sometimes he gets frustrated at a lack of ball & doesn't listen (was evident in a lot of county games this year also), listening & taking on board what management is trying to implement is one of the biggest problems in Brigids for a long time now & was one of Cunninghams biggest gripes with that bunch of players when he left
    As long as we're trying to play the 'I've been to lots of matches so I know better!' game, I can assure you I've been plenty of club games and have seen Senan played incorrectly regularly.

I wasn't playing a game, I was just stating a fact and asking for an opinion, thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

yabadabado wrote: »
    Mcstay n mchale are brothers in law .

That's true hes married to mcstays sister.. Nice looking one.. McHale is a fine looking fella himself. I think hed, be a decent pick, and has a few years experience. I I think he was involved with mayo when moran was the manager back in 06. I wonder would john o mahoney have any interest in the job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Fergie did a great job at utilising Senan in last year's championship by giving him a huge box of space to operate on the side of his favoured foot. With him it's all about creating one-on-ones close to goal because with enough good supply he's close to unstoppable.

O'Brien has a good track record and deserves to be considered, but there are flaws in his tactics that need to be expressed and not ignored.

You seem to have your say on all things Roscommon, its clear you go to alot of games and its clear you rate Senan Kilbride very highly I rate Senan alot higher than Donie Shine. However the bottom line is that the higher the quality of back, the less effective Senan becomes. He has fantastic talent, probably the most talented footballer in Roscommon in many a year. But the best in our own back garden may not come close to that in other counties. Senan has gone missing in alot of big games, but its his ability to score an eye catching point that gets folk talking.

As for O'Brien, I think folk are being harsh on his contribution. Its all well and good to claim Anthony Cunningham was the man to replace Fergie, but hindsight is 20/20. He was not even mentioned at this time.

If anything, O'Brien has done a better job with Brigids. They are a notoriously tough club to manage, so many voices pulling a manager in different directions. Big personalities both in the playing squad and "committee". He along with his selectors did a mighty fine job in uniting a talented but very hard to handle group of players and had them in the top 2-3 clubs in the country for the last 2-3 years. That in itself is a fantastic achievement.

On the face of it he took a Roscommon club side to the brink of winning an all ireland title, and almost took them to a second final in 2 years. Thats serious achievement, with a club with few inter county players might I add.
    Domnican, The Kilbrides, Karol Mannion, thats it.

Brigids have had alot of success at underage level, not so much minor, more so under 21s. Its a fair jump between "winning alot of roscommon under 21 titles" and making a club competitive on a national level. Thats pretty much what happened.

O'Brien deserves huge credit, instilled a hunger in the likes of the Dolans and the clubs most talented youngsters and gave them a chance, its noteable around the time he came in you saw a cull of alot of the more popular players in the dressing room who were not as effective on the field. The talented younger lads were given more responsibility and they flourished in a far stricter environment focused on football.

Once again, I cannot stress how hard it is to manage a club like Brigids where you have so many "experts" in your ear, yet he managed to remain his own man.

I think he is a definate contender in fairness, its a decent CV. Throw in a county title in Longford aswell and it shows he can do it elsewhere too.

Brigid's have no shortage of talent outside the senior county players, indeed I think Brigid's extended runs for the last two years has prevented other Brigid's players from really breaking into the senior county team - at best they're coming in mid-league and there's little chance of them being thrown into the championship raw.

Frankie remains one of the finest play-makers at any level of the game, the younger Dolans are former underage county players, as are the McHughs. Ronan Stack and Shane Mannion featured heavily this year for the minors and u21's. Even Cake is playing more for them this year, which is a very good sign given how goal-keeping has been perhaps the team's weakest link. They have a club laden with talent, their B team made the intermediate county final two years ago and that tells its own story.

It really can't be characterised as success against the odds when Brigid's have owned underage football in the county for large parts of the last decade and what that does mean is that even at underage the club has developed a culture of winning and just like our county team underage success, that provides a far better spring-board for players than having them used to losing big games and then be expected to magically turn it around at senior level. It's no guarantee but it shows that players are being taught and trained well from a young age.

It's more a story of a club that built strong foundations in the shadow of a far more illustrious neighbour - Clann - and eventually saw that work blossom to the point they are now probably a more formidable outfit than Clann ever were and have developed one of the finest club grounds and complexes in the country. The sorts of structures that will ensure Brigid's will remain there or thereabouts long after most of today's stars hang up their boots.

I certainly believe there's plenty for the county set-up to learn from Brigid's, but almost all of it was well established before O'Brien took over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Brigid's have no shortage of talent outside the senior county players, indeed I think Brigid's extended runs for the last two years has prevented other Brigid's players from really breaking into the senior county team - at best they're coming in mid-league and there's little chance of them being thrown into the championship raw.

Frankie remains one of the finest play-makers at any level of the game, the younger Dolans are former underage county players, as are the McHughs. Ronan Stack and Shane Mannion featured heavily this year for the minors and u21's. Even Cake is playing more for them this year, which is a very good sign given how goal-keeping has been perhaps the team's weakest link. They have a club laden with talent, their B team made the intermediate county final two years ago and that tells its own story.

It really can't be characterised as success against the odds when Brigid's have owned underage football in the county for large parts of the last decade. It's more a story of a club that built strong foundations in the shadow of a far more illustrious neighbour - Clann - and eventually saw that work blossom to the point they are now probably a more formidable outfit than Clann ever were and have developed one of the finest club grounds and complexes in the country. The sorts of structures that will ensure Brigid's will remain there or thereabouts long after most of today's stars hang up their boots.

I certainly believe there's plenty for the county set-up to learn from Brigid's, but almost all of it was well established before O'Brien took over.

Again i'll point out the fact that winning County under 21 titles does not automatically translate into being top dogs in the province. Nobody is claiming Noel O'Brien built the club FFS.

O'Brien got it right in the one place thats most important, and that was on the field. He weeded out the dead wood that got their game by association. The best players played, and this does not happen in most gaa clubs.

You seem to think that having the best players in roscommon translates into provincial titles and all ireland honours, this is your naiveity Syferus. It always is with your posts. You are an "expert" on things inside your own county. Claiming Senan Kilbride is one of the best forwards in the country is an example of this. Best forward in Roscommon yes, but not even top 20 in the country.

Getting St Brigids to the all ireland final was an amazing achievement, many other manager (with the same infrastructure and facilities, some with even better backing might I add) tried and failed to get the best out of this group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

roscommon wrote: »
    standard of referees in roscommon poor having been at most senior championship matches over last 30 years thuggery abounds un censored last years senior champ final this years league final to name last two major matches .Other successful counties have stamped out this affliction

right so what your saying is if roscommon had better referees they would be doing a lot better in the championship??:P what about the umpiers? lol :pac:

Again i'll point out the fact that winning County under 21 titles does not automatically translate into being top dogs in the province. Nobody is claiming Noel O'Brien built the club FFS.

O'Brien got it right in the one place thats most important, and that was on the field. He weeded out the dead wood that got their game by association. The best players played, and this does not happen in most gaa clubs.

You seem to think that having the best players in roscommon translates into provincial titles and all ireland honours, this is your naiveity Syferus. It always is with your posts. You are an "expert" on things inside your own county. Claiming Senan Kilbride is one of the best forwards in the country is an example of this. Best forward in Roscommon yes, but not even top 20 in the country.

Getting St Brigids to the all ireland final was an amazing achievement, many other manager (with the same infrastructure and facilities, some with even better backing might I add) tried and failed to get the best out of this group.

I don't think you've even read what I've said properly if you'd say any of that. The quotation stuff is pretty offensive in its implications, honestly.

I never once said or even implied "having the best players in roscommon translates into provincial titles and all ireland honours" or that "Senan Kilbride is one of the best forwards in the country". On a completely different forum I said I believe Kilbride to be among the top six scoring forwards in Connacht, something I fully stand behind - Connacht is hardly awash with scoring forwards.

If you read that into what I've said I'm sorry to tell you you're seeing things that aren't there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Great B Under 21 Final today. Great win for Roscommon 3.17 to 3.16.

Some great scores from play, well taken goals. Obviously players got a bit more time on the ball than they would have at a higher level but good to watch. Some great skill on show. Well done.

Man of March Niall Kilroy also on Under 21 All Ireland Football runners up as was Naos Connaughton who got last goal.

Naos was the starting keeper for the footballers and was injured in the run up to the u21 football Connacht final this year. It was great to see him have a staring role for the hurlers.

Can't remember ever being as excited by a hurling game - such is the life of pernially detachment in the Liam McCarthy Cup - and it was fantastic stuff to watch the county wrap up a very impressive year at underage (Connacht minor league title, Hastings shield, Ted Webb shield, Connacht minor and u21 titles in football and hurling, u21 football and minor B AI finalists) with an All-Ireland title.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

Good win for your Under 21s tonight some good players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 186 ✭✭999/112

Congrats to the team and the management.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Ya i seen the game..fair play to yeah.great win..kildare were hot favourites but ross won.hope mayo upset the odds next week

Up the rosies, only heard about the results now.. Sounds like some game.. Any title is welcome, but fair play to all concerned, mighty one and all...
    Isnt it great to see.

Does any fella know if theres, highlights anywhere of the internet that I can watch the under 21z on? Up the rosies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭deisedude

Does any fella know if theres, highlights anywhere of the internet that I can watch the under 21z on? Up the rosies

Full game here

There will probably highlights on GAA 2012 on TG4 Monday night too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

why whats so bad about des newton?

he never managed a team in his life, he was selector for crokes when he got the job, it was the equivalent of giving steve staunton the irish job back in the day, his tactics were terrible, his interviews were baffling (just listen to the one after the tyrone game) and number of our best players didnt want to play for him and left the panel with roscommon still in the championship

as someone said the next appointment is crucial, roscommon should have some excellent players coming through from minor and under 21 over the next 5 years, the next manager has to be able to integrate them properly, newton by starting kilroy twice and giving donie smith (a much much better footballer) 2 minutes showed clearly he didn't have that ability

personally my pick would be Denis Kearney, he managed an extremely limited castlerea team to two county titles and made them one of the top teams in connacht, kearney was in the running for the mayo job last time out before horan eventually got it

• Registered Users Posts: 6 roscommon

rossie 77 good post when i get my chance to feature on county team i can say kilroy was here maybe new manager will have a daughter one way to get on team.dont know what kearney is like.parochialism or parentism should not be a factor in picking new manager as it has been in the past.maybe donie senior can take on the role he appears to be the expert on managers and referees.

• Advertisement

homeless go to some games watch officials then post

Be polite or dont post at all.

Mod warning.
    mod or hitler

rossie1977 wrote: »
    he never managed a team in his life, he was selector for crokes when he got the job, it was the equivalent of giving steve staunton the irish job back in the day, his tactics were terrible, his interviews were baffling (just listen to the one after the tyrone game) and number of our best players didnt want to play for him and left the panel with roscommon still in the championship

as someone said the next appointment is crucial, roscommon should have some excellent players coming through from minor and under 21 over the next 5 years, the next manager has to be able to integrate them properly, newton by starting kilroy twice and giving donie smith (a much much better footballer) 2 minutes showed clearly he didn't have that ability

personally my pick would be Denis Kearney, he managed an extremely limited castlerea team to two county titles and made them one of the top teams in connacht, kearney was in the running for the mayo job last time out before horan eventually got it

Pretty low to single out a young player like that.

Kilroy has proven in both football and hurling that's he's an exceptionally skilled player with the temperament for big occasions. I agree that I'd have liked to see more of Smith this year but Compton got the start over him, not Kilroy, and Compton showed plenty of promise. Smith has filled out plenty this year, like Enda he was quite slight coming out of minor and I feel that played a role in management not pressing him into much action this year. It's almost a lock that he'll get plenty of opportunity to show what he can do in next year's league.

And Castlerea were anything but 'extremely limited' in 2008-09, Kearney just unlocked the potential that remains in that club even now.

Pretty low to single out a young player like that.

Kilroy has proven in both football and hurling that's he's an exceptionally skilled player with the temperament for big occasions. I agree that I'd have liked to see more of Smith this year but Compton got the start over him, not Kilroy, and Compton showed plenty of promise. Smith has filled out plenty this year, like Enda he was quite slight coming out of minor and I feel that played a role in management not pressing him into much action this year. It's almost a lock that he'll get plenty of opportunity to show what he can do in next year's league.

And Castlerea were anything but 'extremely limited' in 2008-09, Kearney just unlocked the potential that remains in that club even now.

I doubt Kilroy would have got a game if he didn't have a connection to the manager.He isn't ready for the senior team yet .

yabadabado wrote: »
    I doubt Kilroy would have got a game if he didn't have a connection to the manager.He isn't ready for the senior team yet .

And again that's a pretty serious accusation you're levelling at the management and at Kilroy and one I've only heard for the first time here.

Kilroy started against Antrim, so it was very much in keeping with Newton's operandi to play him in the championship - Compton also got league experience, whereas Smith did not. The person who should feel argrived if any is Darren Mc, who is a naturally talented half-forward.

People love to read darkness into every corner.

And again that's a pretty serious accusation you're levelling at the management and at Kilroy and one I've only heard for the first time here.

Kilroy started against Antrim, so it was very much in keeping with Newton's operandi to play him in the championship - Compton also got league experience, whereas Smith did not. The person who should feel argrived if any is Darren Mc, who is a naturally talented half-forward.

People love to read darkness into every corner.

If he wasn't being given a run, fellas would be giving out as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Good little piece on Sunday Game last week about the actor Chris Dowd from Boyle. Never realised he played minor for Ross. His heroes are John Newton and the great Shane Curran.
    He says that while he thinks Curran is great he rather take advice from a drunken clown because Curran is such a character

Luca Brasi wrote: »
    Good little piece on Sunday Game last week about the actor Chris Dowd from Boyle. Never realised he played minor for Ross. His heroes are John Newton and the great Shane Curran.
    He says that while he thinks Curran is great he rather take advice from a drunken clown because Curran is such a character

He was a sub keeper around 98/99,a mate of mine played on the same panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I enjoyed it. Didn't realise he played to an inter county level. Some feckers are good at everything. Enjoyable interview. He called Cake well on his utter mentalness aswell.

• Advertisement

Shane still at it, he made one lovely ould tour of the Hyde against Western Gaels last week.

Advertisement