Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

yabadabado wrote: »
    Beat Oran after extra time and back on the pitch within 24 hours .Their club president died The same weekend and Connacht Council refused to postpone the game.

On both issues CC should be ashamed of themselves.

Can only agree on the club president but was Martin Breheny right in saying that it's 13 weeks since Rossies were out of the Championship. It's pure codology by the county board not to have that county championship over weeks and weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Can only agree on the club president but was Martin Breheny right in saying that it's 13 weeks since Rossies were out of the Championship. It's pure codology by the county board not to have that county championship over weeks and weeks ago.

If Martin Breheny had put a ounce of research into his work over the years he might have become a decent journalist.

The provincial championships don't commence until late October at the earliest and county winners aren't going to wait weeks and weeks to play a provincial game.

Connacht provincial games aren't set in stone either as the Sligo v Mayo senior quarter final was pushed back a week and with a bit of sense from the Connacht council they should have played that Kilmore intermediate quarter this weekend instead of last Sunday.

Pitch fully laid in the Hyde now.Fine looking job,it good to have that fiasco sorted at last.
    They now need to get the other jobs done to get connacht finals back.

What do you mean get Connacht finals back?

Only last year the Mayo v Sligo Connacht final was played in Hyde park. This year's Connacht final replay would have been played in Hyde park if it wasnt closed in June to relay the pitch.

If Leitrim or Sligo reach the Connacht final next year the final will be in Hyde park. Roscommons next games v Galway,Mayo are both away as that choice of MacHale for this years replay was deemed a home game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What do you mean get Connacht finals back?

Only last year the Mayo v Sligo Connacht final was played in Hyde park. This year's Connacht final replay would have been played in Hyde park if it wasnt closed in June to relay the pitch.

If Leitrim or Sligo reach the Connacht final next year the final will be in Hyde park. Roscommons next games v Galway,Mayo are both away as that choice of MacHale for this years replay was deemed a home game.
    The Hyde isn't up to standard and only got those finals because it suited the Connacht Council .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

county winners aren't going to wait weeks and weeks to play a provincial game.

No, they'd prefer to wait 24 hours only it seems.
    So because Roscommon county board were happy to make everyone else in the province wait on them, while they wasted all summer and had club players running drills, the rest of the provincial Championships should be played into late December?

• Advertisement

The Hyde isn't up to standard and only got those finals because it suited the Connacht Council .
    If the Connacht council especially one certain secretary got their way all Connacht finals would be held in MacHale park.

The Hyde may be a little weary nowadays due to ongoing ownership that was only recently settled yet it still more than held the expected crowds for the recent Connacht finals there.

No, they'd prefer to wait 24 hours only it seems.
    So because Roscommon county board were happy to make everyone else in the province wait on them, while they wasted all summer and had club players running drills, the rest of the provincial Championships should be played into late December?

Less than 24 hours Kilmore were forced to play that Connacht quarter final and forced as they would have received a heavy fine if they didn't play that game. Oran the losers are a dual club where they also drew the hurling final and that's what held up the Roscommon championship.

The simple point is the Connacht council just needed to use their common sense on their schedule fixtures. It makes no sense they rearrange the senior quarter final and not do the same with the intermediate quarter final.

If the Connacht council especially one certain secretary got their way all Connacht finals would be held in MacHale park.

The Hyde may be a little weary nowadays due to ongoing ownership that was only recently settled yet it still more than held the expected crowds for the recent Connacht finals there.

I agree it did the job but it still ends the work done so that **** has no reason to prevent the Hyde holding games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Martin Brehony forgets counties also have club hurling games
    And league games

You cannot just play 4 championship games in 5/6 weeks.

Then the builders holidays are a no go due to lads away, then All Ireland Sunday is out

• Registered Users Posts: 42 jesuisros

Beat Oran after extra time and back on the pitch within 24 hours .Their club president died The same weekend and Connacht Council refused to postpone the game.

I see Connacht are now denying that they were asked to postpone the game at all http://roscommondaily.com/2016/10/connacht-gaa-react-kilmore-postponement/
    Why did it take them nearly 5 days to release a response?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Funny how they failed to mention that they moved the Connacht Senior game so as Mayo could get there championship run in time to play in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

It's pure codology by the county board

Apart from anything else, there's a word that brings me back.
    Codology.
    A criminally underused word imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Pitch fully laid in the Hyde now.Fine looking job,it good to have that fiasco sorted at last.
    They now need to get the other jobs done to get connacht finals back.

The stand and terracing is a disgrace for a County ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

What exactly is wrong with the terracing?

The stand is a disgrace but nothing wrong with the terrace.
    Whatever genius gave the go ahead for the new stand back 15 years ago should be be ****ing ashamed of themselves .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Whatever genius gave the go ahead for the new stand back 15 years ago should be be ****ing ashamed of themselves .
    Stand too far back from the action? At least that stand was improvement on the old small stand that was just there to shelter and had no seats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,222 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Maybe I'm unfairly criticising the terracing,but the Stand is awful,it needs to be demolished and a new one the full length of the pitch built similar to Pearse Stadium in Galway,McHale Park Castlebar,O'Connor Park Tullamore etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Will the stand be replaced or extended?

The terracing is fine. Not sure what more you could want in terracing really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

megadodge wrote: »
    Will the stand be replaced or extended?

The terracing is fine. Not sure what more you could want in terracing really?

It's a bit flat behind the goals.

Not a lot of room behind both goals to do much work on that terracing but that isn't a huge issue especially if the stand side was completely revamped.btw I don't think there will be anything major done with the stand.

Plans for the Hyde are supposed to be with some architect firm for over a year.I was told most of the work would be minor changes ,no way will we be seeing a new stand.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Maybe I'm unfairly criticising the terracing,but the Stand is awful,it needs to be demolished and a new one the full length of the pitch built similar to Pearse Stadium in Galway,McHale Park Castlebar,O'Connor Park Tullamore etc.

Yep, only thing about about the Terrace is you are screwed when it pours down ala that "monsun" during the Connacht Final in 2011. Alas, it is open so , what does one expect?. Beats my memory of standing in pools of rain in Tuam at the back of the goals (the one where McNamara pulled off a save from Tommy Grehan , that maybe should have been stuck over the bar) during the Connacht Final of 1998

15 years ago, wow. Time flies. Yep, it was a joke, half done with the stone benches still there. It does need to be taken down again and down properly. Hell, O'Connor Park in Tullamore looks nicer and sure, when does their county play in it for Championship games , since most are in Croker

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Yep, only thing about about the Terrace is you are screwed when it pours down ala that "monsun" during the Connacht Final in 2011. Alas, it is open so , what does one expect?. Beats my memory of standing in pools of rain in Tuam at the back of the goals (the one where McNamara pulled off a save from Tommy Grehan , that maybe should have been stuck over the bar) during the Connacht Final of 1998

15 years ago, wow. Time flies. Yep, it was a joke, half done with the stone benches still there. It does need to be taken down again and down properly. Hell, O'Connor Park in Tullamore looks nicer and sure, when does their county play in it for Championship games , since most are in Croker
    Remember that game ,****ing torrential downpour. I think that was the game where we had a red card by a sub within seconds of him coming on?Neary?

Tullamore stand should be what we are aiming for but that's not gonna happen.It's a near perfect stand and be great if we had something like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Remember that game ,****ing torrential downpour. I think that was the game where we had a red card by a sub within seconds of him coming on?Neary?

Yeah Jason Neary from ballinameen.

What I remember most is Seamus Prior letting the most obvious pick up off the ground by Gary Fahey on the 21 in front of the goals go in the last minute at 11 pts to 10. They went down the field and Niall Finnegan nailed a long range free to level it up.

Obviously we weren't going to win the AI in Galway's place but just shows the small margins and bit of luck ya sometimes need to get over the line.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Tullamore tandem should be want we are aiming for but that's not gonna happen.It's a near perfect stand and be great if we had something like it.

Seamus De Paor of Leitrim was the ref to the two games against Sligo AND two games against Galway! Shocking referee . Jason Neary came on and shouldered someone , in front of the ref,Can't complain.

Sean O'Domhnail of Galway should have been sent off in the replay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Not a lot of room behind both goals to do much work on that terracing but that isn't a huge issue especially if the stand side was completely revamped.btw I don't think there will be anything major done with the stand.

Plans for the Hyde are supposed to be with some architect firm for over a year.I was told most of the work would be minor changes ,no way will we be seeing a new stand.

Don't know about the no way? As it seems they have plans in the pipeline.
    Roscommon GAA intend to redevelop Hyde Park. In this regard at our Co Management Meeting last night we agreed to recommend to the clubs that we install a new playing pitch at Dr Hyde Park. We will recommend closing Hyde Park in June and reopening the Hyde for the first round of the National League in 2017.

We also intend developing Hyde Park as per our development plan which will see a total reconstruction of the spectator areas and the addition of much required facilities for players, patrons and officials. We will not be able to start that work immediately as there are planning processes to be addressed. We are working very closely with Croke Park and Connacht Council to ensure that we are in a position to do the job as soon as possible.

Part one of that January county board statement is now done if part two is done then Roscommon will have a massive burden of debt to play off for many years to come similar to Mayo with MacHale park.

As I mentioned earlier I was told by a official that most of the work was improvements to structures already in place not major work.Toilets,improved cover on terracing,footpaths,catering etc .
    Nothing on the scale of McHale or O'Connor park unless that has changed .We definitely won't be spending up on 20million like Mayo which is a good thing imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

No thanks. We'd prefer to be halfways financially solvent, unlike Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

As I mentioned earlier I was told by a official that most of the work was improvements to structures already in place not major work.Toilets,improved cover on terracing,footpaths,catering etc .
    Nothing on the scale of McHale or O'Connor park unless that has changed .We definitely won't be spending up on 20million like Mayo which is a good thing imo

There is no money allocated for anything apart from the pitch. Only money is being spent inside the fence, and they even had to convince Croke Park to allow them to include that.

There is no money allocated for anything apart from the pitch. Only money is being spent inside the fence, and they even had to convince Croke Park to allow them to include that.

I thought it was out with architects and there was/would be money allocated once plans were finalised.
    That's what I was told about this time last year and presumed that was still the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

I thought it was out with architects and there was/would be money allocated once plans were finalised.
    That's what I was told about this time last year and presumed that was still the case.
    That was the situation when the work started (the pitch works) recently.... as of then there is/was no money put aside for anything else. Money was sought for extra works, but nothing doing as of a few months ago anyway. (info from an engineer involved in the project at the time)

Advertisement