Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Dd3aCcF.jpg

pitch looks great and will only improve over the coming weeks.

A pity the rest of the ground looks ****ed especially the stand,the picture really shows up how poorly designed it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

yabadabado wrote: »
    Dd3aCcF.jpg

pitch looks great and will only improve over the coming weeks.

A pity the rest of the ground looks ****ed especially the stand,the picture really shows up how poorly designed it was.

Why did they not at least go as far as the touchline. Pure joke, only in Roscommon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Why did they not at least go as far as the touchline. Pure joke, only in Roscommon

New path and fence going around the pitch.
    New access steps also installed as the new surface is 2/3 feet higher than old pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

was in the pitch in kiltoom for first time today. It's a nice club pitch but it's a shocking reflection on Roscommon that ye have had to play so many county matches there

was in the pitch in kiltoom for first time today. It's a nice club pitch but it's a shocking reflection on Roscommon that ye have had to play so many county matches there

That should be the last game played there for a very long time.Unfortunate we had to play a lot of games there but that should be a thing of the past now.

• Advertisement

That should be the last game played there for a very long time.Unfortunate we had to play a lot of games there but that should be a thing of the past now.

That's good to hear. I'd never been to Kiltoom before and I was genuinely shocked walking down to the pitch that this was where the Roscommon team have been playing their home matches.

I stopped in the shop to ask where the GAA pitch was and the shopkeeper told me she couldn't understand why the GAA hadn't put up a sign with all the people who call in asking her!

That's good to hear. I'd never been to Kiltoom before and I was genuinely shocked walking down to the pitch that this was where the Roscommon team have been playing their home matches.

I stopped in the shop to ask where the GAA pitch was and the shopkeeper told me she couldn't understand why the GAA hadn't put up a sign with all the people who call in asking her!

There are signs for Brigid's GAA club

What was so shocking about it ?
    Played one league game there last year .

What was so shocking about it ?
    Played one league game there last year .

Aah ok thought it was more. Just don't think it's a location where a county team should be playing big matches.

Aah ok thought it was more. Just don't think it's a location where a county team should be playing big matches.

They had to use it out of necessity but no really big games were played there.Only a few hundred there on Sunday and for Monaghan game about 4k and it held it comfortably.
    The club reckon it can hold 8k but the cops wouldn't allow that number there,traffic being the main problem. I have no problem with games being held there especially if only 2 or 3k will be attending.
    Either way its done with now,pitch in Hyde is laid and will be ready for first home league game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

They had to use it out of necessity but no really big games were played there.Only a few hundred there on Sunday and for Monaghan game about 4k and it held it comfortably.
    The club reckon it can hold 8k but the cops wouldn't allow that number there,traffic being the main problem. I have no problem with games being held there especially if only 2 or 3k will be attending.
    Either way its done with now,pitch in Hyde is laid and will be ready for first home league game.

8,000 at Kiltoom? Jaysus, St Brigid's are going a bit overboard there, that's like the one about the loaves and the fishes!

8,000 at Kiltoom? Jaysus, St Brigid's are going a bit overboard there, that's like the one about the loaves and the fishes!
    I thought so to, that figure seems wildly optimistic .Don't need to retest the idea now .

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Did that figure come from Donald trump's press secretary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Just back from Omagh and from a Roscommon perspective there are positives.

I suppose nobody expected a Roscommon win and the 6 point margin was a fair reflection as Tyrone looked strong and fit and as usual they take the league very seriously.

Despite the early goal Roscommon were well off the pace for a lot of the first half, especially in the middle third, letting Tyrone runners burst through the middle a lot easier than should be happening at this level. Having said that Roscommon had three good goal chances in the first half, all of which were blocked and if even one had been converted it would have made things interesting.

The longer the game went on though the less mistakes Roscommon made and the better they adapted. However, the old habit of not winning breaking ball around the middle was a problem right through and we always seemed to be under pressure on our own kickouts.

Roscommon insisted on skying high slow balls into Ultan Harney at full-forward when being marked by two men and also a goalie who didn't need encouragment to come off his line to help. It was a kind of panicky tactic I thought and when they played the ball in low early in the second half Harney won each ball.

Donie Smyth had a very good game and looked dangerous and hungry all through. He scored some fine points and I'm happy to say he might be turning the corner, as I had written him off a long time ago.

Seanie Mac did well at centre-forward. He consistently showed and won ball and moved it well.

Mulloolly did well at centre-back, although still is prone to the odd bit of stupidity. He just has to get this ill-discipline out of his system sooner rather than later. He has the makings of a very good player.

Fintan Cregg did well when he came on, despite one dumb decision to 'get involved' when Roscommon had just won a free.

Kevin Higgins was taken off early after dithering in possession a number of times. I think he's just not match sharp yet and will come good.

Finally, and I don't like to single him out, but Niall Kilroy just isn't good enough for inter-county football. This has been shown consistently and I really don't see the point in continuing with him - even as a sub.

Looking forward to seeing the new surface in the Hyde

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

I've been really looking forward to seeing it, but of course, Murphy's Law, I won't be able to make it on Sunday. Hopefully I can pop in on Saturday to have a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Very disappointing news that Niall Daly has opted to leave the panel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Very disappointing news that Niall Daly has opted to leave the panel.

Rumour has it he returned shortly after with his tail between his legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Rumour has it he returned shortly after with his tail between his legs.

Daly has left the panel.

Decent performance today and had more than enough chances to win. However we would likely struggle in division 2 with a squad as razor thin as we have now. Just 23 fit players on the panel today and 3 of those were under 21s just called in last night to fill up the bench

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

rossie1977 wrote:
    Daly has left the panel.

FWIW, your manager said on radio afterwards that he is still a part of the panel but has taken a few weeks out. This was on RTE after the game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Daly has left the panel.

Decent performance today and had more than enough chances to win. However we would likely struggle in division 2 with a squad as razor thin as we have now. Just 23 fit players on the panel today and 3 of those were under 21s just called in last night to fill up the bench
    Tough break today for you even so, Mayo, Dublin and Kerry still to play..... Probably need to win one of those and no slip ups against Monaghan or Cavan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    FWIW, your manager said on radio afterwards that he is still a part of the panel but has taken a few weeks out. This was on RTE after the game.

A guy who knows him says he has gone. I doubt we see any of the 3 Daly brothers playing for Roscommon again under mcstay.
    padd b1975 wrote: »
    Tough break today for you even so, Mayo, Dublin and Kerry still to play..... Probably need to win one of those and no slip ups against Monaghan or Cavan.

We will get relegated, I think alot of Roscommon fans leaving the Hyde today are already resigned to that fate. With a squad as small as ours we can't afford to lose players like Cathal Cregg, Niall Daly, Conor Daly (those 3 scored 1-6 between them up in Donegal 12 months ago), Donal Shine, Senan and Ian Kilbride from last year and expect to stay up without everything going our way. We already have numerous injuries to guys like David Murray, Ultan Harney, Diarmuid Murtagh which stretches the squad even thinner.

I just hope it doesn't totally implode like in 2008 where we threw in the towel and shipped a couple of 20+ point defeats

Redsoxfan wrote: »

I was listening to that interview and it didn't make much sense really. Surely a player is either part of the panel or not?! If he takes 'a few weeks out', then he's not part of the panel for those few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

I was listening to that interview and it didn't make much sense really. Surely a player is either part of the panel or not?! If he takes 'a few weeks out', then he's not part of the panel for those few weeks!

McStay knows the media inside and out and the answer he gave takes the heat off himself. It could become a very messy situation however if Niall Daly along with his brothers released a true statement on whats going on.

Roscommon are in a very bad place now with relegation near certain some of the their best players not on the panel a Injury list still high due to old school training under McHale and then are left with a few individual players ( I won't name them) that would struggle to make it onto decent club teams nevermind a county team in division one.

McStay knows the media inside and out and the answer he gave takes the heat off himself. It could become a very messy situation however if Niall Daly along with his brothers released a true statement on whats going on.

Roscommon are in a very bad place now with relegation near certain some of the their best players not on the panel a Injury list still high due to old school training under McHale and then are left with a few individual players ( I won't name them) that would struggle to make it onto decent club teams nevermind a county team in division one.

Yeah that's true. I can't remember which journalist was interviewing him but I wondered if he was friendly with mcstay. I thought the journalist could have pushed him on if more.

Doesn't sound good for Roscommon. From a Galway perspective, I absolutely love the years when Connacht have a strong Galway, strong Mayo and strong Roscommon. It looked like that might happen last year but not to be it seems.....

What's old school training? Practicing the skils of the game?
    McHale and McStay got St Brigid's to an All Ireland club title
    They must have an idea of what they are doing?

Roscommon have been doing modern training methods for a few years, hasn't produced too many big results

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    What's old school training? Practicing the skils of the game?
    McHale and McStay got St Brigid's to an All Ireland club title
    They must have an idea of what they are doing?

Roscommon have been doing modern training methods for a few years, hasn't produced too many big results

From what I'm told McHale would be very old school,running endless laps would be a regular occurrence.

No real comparison between the club and county set ups ,Brigids winning the AI was a huge achievement but they had a excellent team and great team spirit.

Yesterday was a bad result but we really should have won the game ,hopefully we can but in a few big performances and stay in Div 1.Alls not lost yet.

From what I'm told McHale would be very old school,running endless laps would be a regular occurrence.

No real comparison between the club and county set ups ,Brigids winning the AI was a huge achievement but they had a excellent team and great team spirit.

Yesterday was a bad result but we really should have won the game ,hopefully we can but in a few big performances and stay in Div 1.Alls not lost yet.

I very much doubt many county players are running laps
    McHale has a great background in basketball, I'm willing to give them the benefit of a year building a team and sorting out the spine of the team

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    I very much doubt many county players are running laps
    McHale has a great background in basketball, I'm willing to give them the benefit of a year building a team and sorting out the spine of the team

But shouldn't they have done that last year?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Surely they have a S & C coach in the setup to eradicate McHale's ideas of old school laps of the field? No S & C coach would allow that to happen under their watch.

Advertisement