Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

As I said. Good performance but all with the asterisk that it's Leitrim.

Now for the real stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

Hard to say anything after that.

Last year I said it was the worst Leitrim team I had seen, well, I'm sorry to say it but this year's team is worse.

I suppose Roscommon did what they had to do, but virtually nothing new will have been learned by today.

On a more definite note, the pitch looked fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Leitrim were beyond poor .They have regressed from a very low level last year.
    We did enough but still think we are weak in a few key areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭pjmn

Agree Leitrim were beyond poor, looked like a poor minor team against seniors. Not sure what we'll have learned from today, and undoubtedly we wont get the same amount of space against Galway. Having said that looked far more of a team than some of the league performances.

Pitch looked fantastic today.

yabadabado wrote: »
    The training centre they have planned is also not that assesssible .Should have taken AIT up on their offer.

Purely from a practical point of view that would be a poor choice for at least half the county. Some players could be spending up to 1.5 hours each way travelling and straight away that's a huge disincentive.

• Advertisement

megadodge wrote: »
    Purely from a practical point of view that would be a poor choice for at least half the county. Some players could be spending up to 1.5 hours each way travelling and straight away that's a huge disincentive.

How many are actually living in Roscommon? Without knowing exact numbers I'd safely say more live in Dublin than Roscommon, with others in Galway or the like. Given most of the panel are still of college age a training location centralised in Roscommon is no advantage to them and only increases their travel time.

The Oran site was stupidly expensive but will be useful for underage teams at club and county level, a training site off the M6 in Athlone is still likely needed in the future for the senior team.

Syferus wrote: »
    How many are actually living in Roscommon? Without knowing exact numbers I'd safely say more live in Dublin than Roscommon, with others in Galway or the like. Given most of the panel are still of college age a training location centralised in Roscommon is no advantage to them and only increases their travel time.

The Oran site was stupidly expensive but will be useful for underage teams at club and county level, a training site off the M6 in Athlone is still likely needed in the future for the senior team.

The vast majority are living in Roscommon!

ALL players in Roscommon, not just the senior panel, will be using the facilities. Underage teams, development panels and clubs vastly outnumber the senior players.

Everybody agrees about the corrupt price paid for the Oran site, but I don't see how adding more costs to an already cash-strapped County board is going to help things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

50K a year to AIT?

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    50K a year to AIT?

A lot less .
    Afaik nearly 1 million spent before any sod is turned in runabraken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

A lot less .
    Afaik nearly 1 million spent before any sod is turned in runabraken.

Do you have any facts to back this up??
    Corruption....1 million spent.... Ye'll want more than gossip and hearsay for this type of claims I'd say.

• Advertisement

Do you have any facts to back this up??
    Corruption....1 million spent.... Ye'll want more than gossip and hearsay for this type of claims I'd say.

Who mentioned corruption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Everybody agrees about the corrupt price paid for the Oran site, .

Corruption mentioned here....

Why did you quote my post ?

And I stand by that!

I see the Hyde has been short-listed for the GAA pitch of the year.

http://www.gaa.ie/news/gaa-announces-shortlist-stadia-for-the-2017-gaa-pitch-award/

What a difference a year makes!

Good to see .Hopefully at some stage there is money available to upgrade terraces and spectator facilities.

Good to see .Hopefully at some stage there is money available to upgrade terraces and spectator facilities.

The terraces don't need upgrading. They're fine.

It's the stand side. Ideally, the stand (or replacement) should extend the full length with covering all the way down to the sideline. Underneath the stand would also need to be developed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

It's the stand side. Ideally, the stand (or replacement) should extend the full length with covering all the way down to the sideline. Underneath the stand would also need to be developed.

extending the roof on the terrace would make a huge difference
    ideally they would just level the new stand and concrete seating and build a new stand like in Portlaoise or Tullamore. That won't happen though

what will be done is take out the concrete seating and replace with bucket seating on a concrete steps bed

Ideally if the money was available then the whole stand ,dressing rooms and concrete seats would be ripped up and replaced by something like Tullamore..Terraces could do with better cover from the element's .New walk ways and tiolets etc.
    All those jobs are a pipe dream imo afaik very minimal wirk is planned .

Nice guy beat me to it.

• Advertisement

What stadium in Ireland provides covering for terraces that size? It was regarded as an added bonus when it was built. It's an unnecessary luxury in my eyes. Fine if the money was there, but seriously?

What's wrong with the walkways?

The rest I already mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Was in the Hyde for a League game this year. Fine ground.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Was in the Hyde for a League game this year. Fine ground.

Thank you.

It's become a kind of national pastime to belittle the Hyde. You'd swear you were taking your life in your hands attending a match there listening to some comments over the years.

Thank you.

It's become a kind of national pastime to belittle the Hyde. You'd swear you were taking your life in your hands attending a match there listening to some comments over the years.

Best pitch in the country. Bottom five in facilities. Lots of work needs to be done to bring it to even a decent standard.

We're like a child in class getting a gold star for colouring inside the lines celebrating laying a pitch successfully.

What stadium in Ireland provides covering for terraces that size? It was regarded as an added bonus when it was built. It's an unnecessary luxury in my eyes. Fine if the money was there, but seriously?

What's wrong with the walkways?

The rest I already mentioned.
    Walkways and toilets should be done asap.Not a huge cost .

Its not a huge job to put down concrete/paving/tarmacadm .Is there any need to be walking thorough gutter going to a game ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

megadodge wrote:

Only a certain faction as far as I have seen...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Since they relayed it the pitch in the Hyde is very good.

The rest of the ground is not as bad as places like Ennis but not great either.

The problem is if you do major development, new stand, covered terrace etc, you are spending millions on another underutilized ground, just like you have in Castlebar and Salthill.

Back in the early 90s there was this talk of a single ground for Connacht finals, and Hyde Park was very much in the conversation, pity it was never followed up though.

The Hyde was picked as the provincial ground back in the 90s .Voted on at CC but it didnt suit a few .
    We are playing in Salthill this year again because a certain man wanted Castlebar to get the reply last summer when we were happy for Salthill to the reply.

The Hyde was picked as the provincial ground back in the 90s .Voted on at CC but it didnt suit a few .
    We are playing in Salthill this year again because a certain man wanted Castlebar to get the reply last summer when we were happy for Salthill to the reply.

By certain man you mean a management team more than half made up of Roscommon men.

Not a single Roscommon man or woman I knew would have looked forward to returning to the Wind Tunnel the next weekend given how poor a venue it is for sport, both in terms of the conditions and the wall-to-wall traffic. McHale was the brave, positive choice for a team whose goal was to win and not line John Prenty's pockets. That the team didn't deliver on the day is completely matterless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's actually gotten colder, wetter & winder since last year too.

Advertisement