Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Syferus wrote: »
    By certain man you mean a management team more than half made up of Roscommon men.

Not a single Roscommon man or woman I knew would have looked forward to returning to the Wind Tunnel the next weekend given how poor a venue it is for sport, both in terms of the conditions and the wall-to-wall traffic. McHale was the brave, positive choice for a team whose goal was to win and not line John Prenty's pockets. That the team didn't deliver on the day is completely matterless.
    No Ros management wanted to go back to Salthill but werent granted that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

megadodge wrote: »
    What stadium in Ireland provides covering for terraces that size?

Ennis
    Parnell Park
    Longford
    Nowlan Park

maybe more fans would turn up to games if they knew they weren't going to get drenched?
    you only need to cover the back half of the terrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Ennis
    Parnell Park
    Longford
    Nowlan Park

maybe more fans would turn up to games if they knew they weren't going to get drenched?
    you only need to cover the back half of the terrace.

None of the first three have terracing the size of the Hyde. Not even close.

I can't speak for Nowlan Park.

It's no small job to cover terracing that size and as we all agree the money would be better spent on the other side. If that was looked after then you could start looking at the less important things.

yabadabado wrote: »
    Walkways and toilets should be done asap.Not a huge cost .

Its not a huge job to put down concrete/paving/tarmacadm .Is there any need to be walking thorough gutter going to a game ?

When you said "walkways" I thought you meant the walkways within the terracing itself. Misunderstood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

The terracing is fine IMO. The terrace doesn't need covering really, that'd be a luxury we don't require nor can we afford. As has been said already, leveling that half-baked stand and the concrete seating below it (jesus I hate that concrete seating!) and putting in one big proper stand like Tullamore would be ideal.

It'll never happen though, not unless Roscommon get into the big time and we start getting crowds of 15,000+ at our home matches regularly.

• Advertisement

The terracing is fine IMO. The terrace doesn't need covering really, that'd be a luxury we don't require nor can we afford. As has been said already, leveling that half-baked stand and the concrete seating below it (jesus I hate that concrete seating!) and putting in one big proper stand like Tullamore would be ideal.

It'll never happen though, not unless Roscommon get into the big time and we start getting crowds of 15,000+ at our home matches regularly.

If we are depending on crowds then it will never happen .Offaly CB had a plan in place and got the job done(not with out problems) our board should be capable of doing similar .
    Ideal world level all stand and surrounding crap and start again but that is never gonna happen imo.More realistic is rip out the concrete seating and upgrade that along with new toilet facilities and a general cleaning up of entrances etc if about as much as will happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Great fundraising event in Boyle on Friday night.
    Tickets only €10.
    https://www.joe.ie/sport/roscommon-gaa-593043

A really good cause but imagine paying to listen to Carney and Prenty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Amazing the only Roscommon man on show is Cake. I'd be more interested to hear what Sean Purcell or FOD had to say about this year, but I'd say they couldn't afford their travel expenses..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

yabadabado wrote: »
    A really good cause but imagine paying to listen to Carney and Prenty.
    I would have to be paid to listen to the Joe Brolly gibberish.

• Advertisement

I would have to be paid to listen to the Joe Brolly gibberish.

He is annoying but the other two are a few levels worse and I find it astonishing any club in Roscommon would have Prenty involved with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

For the prospective 'debate' surely?

Addle wrote: »
    For the prospective 'debate' surely?

That man doesn't know the meaning of the word.He has never been a friend of Ros football.

How serious is Mullooley's toe injury? Word has it it's broken... but which toe? The small one could be manageable, but that's about it.

Another heavy hit for the team if he can't play.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=272283

The injury concerns just keep mounting up. Who have we got to replace Mullooly and McDermott if they're definitely out??

We are light enough on numbers as it is without this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

blazermel wrote: »
    http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=272283

The injury concerns just keep mounting up. Who have we got to replace Mullooly and McDermott if they're definitely out??

We are light enough on numbers as it is without this.

Liam McHale even voiced his concerns recently.

“We haven’t got that strength in depth on the bench so the lads we have might be good but we’re missing a lot of seasoned campaigners.”

Its rather odd that a senior championship panel has been left so light on numbers and experience.

Been a huge turnover of players in the last 2 years for various reasons.Squad is very light now but hopefully what we have will be good enough to win Connacht.

Minors were beaten by Galway in Salthill last night by 1-13 to 1-6. It was tit for tat all the way through the match, the Rossies seemed to run out of gas in the last 10 minutes and Galway got a goal and pulled clear late on. Roscommon also missed a penalty at the death. Galway deserved the win but it was a bit closer than the scoreline suggests.

Suggestions that a few injuries are starting to mount have to make you wonder why management let the panel become as depleted as it has. I'm worried about the Connacht final, we have the forwards to match anyone, but defence and midfield could really struggle against that Galway front 8, particularly if we're down another 2 starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Roscommon were winning that game last night with 10 minutes to go and end up losing by 7 points. This sort of thing happens alot in recent years at underage level last couple of years re all under 21 final in 2012, Connacht minor final in 2014. Not sure if the teams are set up to play for 50 minutes or if its a mental issue

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Roscommon were winning that game last night with 10 minutes to go and end up losing by 7 points. This sort of thing happens alot in recent years at underage level last couple of years re all under 21 final in 2012, Connacht minor final in 2014. Not sure if the teams are set up to play for 50 minutes or if its a mental issue

In the case of 2014 and this year the other team were simply better. Dublin on the other hand had too much on the bench, our first 15 were probably better than theirs that day.

We did very well to be in the position we were in. Unexpectedly good performance. The U17s are much closer to Galway on paper than the minors were so hopefully there will be revenge in the Connacht final in Bekan on the 8th.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

rossie1977 wrote: »

Yes a bit of a bizarre game last night, it was Galway 0-8 Roscommon 1-6 after 50 mins then the final ten mins Galway 1-5 Roscommon 0-0.

Galway minors had Mayo beaten by half time in the quarter final 9 points ahead if i recall right.

hopefully there will be revenge in the Connacht final in Bekan on the 8th.

On that note, am I missing something, or did Tuam float away and land on the moon? 2 games that should honestly be played there being the minor game last night and that upcoming U17 game. Bekan of course is a neutral venue, but a bit out of the way for a lot of people in both counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

On that note, am I missing something, or did Tuam float away and land on the moon? 2 games that should honestly be played there being the minor game last night and that upcoming U17 game. Bekan of course is a neutral venue, but a bit out of the way for a lot of people in both counties.
    U-17 replaces Minor so by right Roscommon should have home advantage for that Connacht U17 final. Pure Prenty to play that final in his Connacht GAA centre in Bekan

Yes a bit of a bizarre game last night, it was Galway 0-8 Roscommon 1-6 after 50 mins then the final ten mins Galway 1-5 Roscommon 0-0.

Galway minors had Mayo beaten by half time in the quarter final 9 points ahead if i recall right.

Actually Galway failed to score for nearly 20mins with a gale against Mayo in the quarter final.

Think at HT we lead by 1, but then scored a big score in the second half while Mayo scored less with the wind.

It wasn't much different to last night, Galway dominating the ball in the middle third but the opposition being more economical and not utilising the conditions in the first half but winning the second half against the wind regardless.

U-17 replaces Minor so by right Roscommon should have home advantage for that Connacht U17 final. Pure Prenty to play that final in his Connacht GAA centre in Bekan

The competitions are being played in parallel so I don't know where you're getting those rights from.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Actually Galway failed to score for nearly 20mins with a gale against Mayo in the quarter final.

Think at HT we lead by 1, but then scored a big score in the second half while Mayo scored less with the wind.

It wasn't much different to last night, Galway dominating the ball in the middle third but the opposition being more economical and not utilising the conditions in the first half but winning the second half against the wind regardless.

You are mixing up U17 with minor games there gilberto. Galway minors lead Mayo by 9 points at half time that game was played in April in Castlebar.

The wind wasn't all that strong in Salthill last night and the Roscommon midfield pairing more than held their own against Galway in the 1st half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

The competitions are being played in parallel so I don't know where you're getting those rights from.
    Only running the two competitions parallel this year so certain aged players don't miss out and the U17 final venue was changed from its original plan

Untitled.png

Only running the two competitions parallel this year so certain aged players don't miss out and the U17 final venue was changed from its original plan

Untitled.png

I already know. It doesn't we mean we had a claim to the match because of what happened at minor. Bekan is where all the same players contested the Ted Webb last summer so it's not much of an advantage to either side.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

http://www.gaaroscommon.ie/news-detail/10025844/

Roscommon team v Galway is named. Up on the website, no subs bench listed just first 15.

• Advertisement

Interestingly, no Donie Smith.

In spite of the black card, I think his form this year has been very good and I think he should be starting.

Good to see Cathal Compton back, but will his body hold up?

Advertisement