Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

megadodge wrote: »
    Interestingly, no Donie Smith.

In spite of the black card, I think his form this year has been very good and I think he should be starting.

Good to see Cathal Compton back, but will his body hold up?

Big surprise that Donie isn't there but have a feeling he will start somehow. Can't understand how Mullooly can be starting if the injury concern was true.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

blazermel wrote: »
    http://www.gaaroscommon.ie/news-detail/10025844/

Roscommon team v Galway is named. Up on the website, no subs bench listed just first 15.

Why so early?

Why so early?

No idea but it was similar for the Leitrim game. A week early seems a bit mad alright.

No idea but it was similar for the Leitrim game. A week early seems a bit mad alright.

Yeah I don't really see the benefit to it.

Were there changes to the team v Leitrim compared to the team that was listed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

stops any rumours this week
    gives local media something to write and talk about
    by the time the game comes around all the talk will be about Galway.

Galway for the double by the way!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Galway for the double by the way!!

That's the spirit!

Yeah I don't really see the benefit to it.

Were there changes to the team v Leitrim compared to the team that was listed?

Yeah Davy Murray ended up getting injured at training that week and was replaced by Gary Patterson. That's the one change I remember from it but there may have been another.

Yeah Davy Murray ended up getting injured at training that week and was replaced by Gary Patterson. That's the one change I remember from it but there may have been another.

Thats why I don't think it a great idea to name the team so early. You just run the risk of annoying a player that you are leaving out. He doesn't need to know he wouldn't have been picked if everybody was fit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I really hope we don't end up playing Compton up on his own again like last year's final.

Honestly strange selection. Compton's barely played all year and hasn't played any of the challenge matches even. I suspect they are worried about Galway's massive size advantage but still it's better have a fully match fit team than trying to match up size wise with your opponents.

Patterson unlucky to be dropped, he has played well every time I have seen him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I really hope we don't end up playing Compton up on his own again like last year's final.

Honestly strange selection. Compton's barely played all year and hasn't played any of the challenge matches even. I suspect they are worried about Galway's massive size advantage but still it's better have a fully match fit team than trying to match up size wise with your opponents.

Patterson unlucky to be dropped, he has played well every time I have seen him.

You hit the nail on the head there. It's all about trying to counter Galway's big men at midfield. Those three lads are big AND good footballers. Adding Compton and having Enda Smith out there may (that's MAY) counter their size and strength. Especially if Galway push up on Roscommon's kickouts, forcing Ros to kick long.

The problem is if Donie Smith doesn't start who is going to accompany Diarmuid in the two man FF line? You need two finishers in there. Stack (who I really rate, but may be a bit young yet) will surely be playing farther out the field. Kilroy will sweep. Ciaran will play CHF alongside Cregg. Which leaves the only obvious finisher - Enda Smith. Robbing Peter to pay Paul, as Enda's size is needed in the middle. Which leads me to suspect that Donie may actually start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Nothing strange about that team. Pretty much picked itself. Compton was near fit for Leitrim but was kept back just to be safe with an eye on this game.

Picking the team early is fantastic. We did the same before the Leitrim game. Everyone knows where they stand and what their job is. None of the BS other managements waste their brains on.

Weather is promised poor for sunday

Rumour that Compton is out of the game Sunday.

Roscommon won the inaugural Connacht under 17 championship defeating Galway on a scoreline of 2-8 to 1-8.

but but but that Galway team were unreal
    they beat the best mayo team ever...

great win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

Sorry, bit slow here, but, is the under 17s the new minor championship?

Lt Dan wrote: »
    Sorry, bit slow here, but, is the under 17s the new minor championship?

This is the final year of the minor (and the u-21). In 2018 it will be only the under 17 and under 20 championships

The last ever Connacht minor final will be played tomorrow before the senior final between Galway and sligo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

This is the final year of the minor (and the u-21). In 2018 it will be only the under 17 and under 20 championships

So this year there is/was an U-17, minor and U-21 championship? (like I said, slow)

Anyway, any day bating Galway and /or winning a Connacht is a great day

Yes there was under 17, minor and under 21 this year. They had to do that as a whole year of lads would have missed out on intercounty football at underage level as obviously the guys under 17 this year would be overage next

Rumour that Compton is out of the game Sunday.

Any truth to that one? It seems to be floating around a lot this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,361 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Roscommon won the inaugural Connacht under 17 championship defeating Galway on a scoreline of 2-8 to 1-8.

Galway missing a fair few players in fairness who are already on the minor panel for Sunday. Bit ridiculous having both games on the same weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Galway missing a fair few players in fairness who are already on the minor panel for Sunday. Bit ridiculous having both games on the same weekend.
    Were missing two starters (Glynn,S Fitzgerald) from 7 point semi final win against Mayo. By all accounts Roscommon were good value for that win yesterday.

a county the size of galway can easily field a separate U17 team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Compton out I hear, up the rosies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Heading out to Salthill right now. Looking forward to a great game. I'll go for a Galway win, but not by much, a couple of points. Allot of people what to write off Roscommon, but I think they will be ready to go to war.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is it the weather?
    Or has mcstay had a plan all along?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Well done Roscommon

Just nipping into the thread as a Mayo man to say well done you Rossies. Also congrats Kevin McStay. A Connacht title to add to the All Ireland club title won with St Brigids.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Fair play to ye.

Beat the the snot out of Galway today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,782 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Congratulations, I had a sneaky feeling you could nick it.
    Not by the margin and with the quality of score taking I've just seen though!

Advertisement