Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roscommon GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Pique wrote: »
    Naked pool. (shudder)

We were a right laughing stock after that.
    that wasn't 2001.
    get your facts right.
    and most of the players named in that 'newspaper' later got substantial payouts for compensation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭patmac

Couple of things, fair play to the Roscommon team for stopping off at some of the clubs on the way home with the cup on Sunday evening, brilliant to see the kids getting their photos taken with their local heroes. Restores faith in the GAA.
    Also to the players who walked away, they don't seem to have been missed much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭Lt Dan

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    that wasn't 2001.
    get your facts right.
    and most of the players named in that 'newspaper' later got substantial payouts for compensation

THAT incident happened well within 1 year of winning the title. it is linked! They acted like it was an All Ireland (that 1998-2003 team was decent)

I wasn't referring to that incident myself,(which involved a very small minority,who publicly admitted guilt ) but, the indiscipline(drinking) started before that incident. Sure they were still parading the cup around schools around two weeks before the Galway game. Suppose when ya have not won a Connacht title in 10 years and were not really expected to do alot (despite promising years under Gay Sherrin) suppose they would let themselves go.

Tommy Carr then came in and sought to instill discipline

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Roscommon could be the surprise outfit of the championship. I think they are good enough to win their AI quarter final. After that it all depends who they might get in the semi if they make it that far.

One things for sure, McStay/McHale will have a plan for whichever team they face in the quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Slightly off topic but I wonder if anyone here could help me.

I am looking for a programme and a picture (ideally) of the Roscommon minor team from 1977 that lost the Connacht final to Mayo. Would any of you be able to point me in the direction of where I might be able to get my hands on this?

Thanks, and congrats on the win at the weekend from a bitter Galway-man!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Slightly off topic but I wonder if anyone here could help me.

I am looking for a programme and a picture (ideally) of the Roscommon minor team from 1977 that lost the Connacht final to Mayo. Would any of you be able to point me in the direction of where I might be able to get my hands on this?

Thanks, and congrats on the win at the weekend from a bitter Galway-man!

Could try the Connacht gaa centre outside ballyhaunis. They have lots of old match programs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I doubt you will get a programme as anyone who still has one isn't going to give it away.
    I reckon you probably will get a picture handy enough. The like of the Hatch or Murrays bar would be likely spots to have photo's .
    Maybe as on Roscommon GAA Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

yabadabado wrote: »
    I doubt you will get a programme as anyone who still has one isn't going to give it away.
    I reckon you probably will get a picture handy enough. The like of the Hatch or Murrays bar would be likely spots to have photo's .
    Maybe as on Roscommon GAA Twitter.

or try the Ros Legends account on twitter @RosLegends

They probably have all the archive material from those years. Unlikely to get a copy of the programme, but might get a scan of the pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

patmac wrote: »
    Couple of things, fair play to the Roscommon team for stopping off at some of the clubs on the way home with the cup on Sunday evening, brilliant to see the kids getting their photos taken with their local heroes. Restores faith in the GAA.
    Also to the players who walked away, they don't seem to have been missed much.

Shows how much talent is there that they weren't missed.
    Lt Dan wrote: »
    THAT incident happened well within 1 year of winning the title. it is linked! They acted like it was an All Ireland (that 1998-2003 team was decent)

I wasn't referring to that incident myself,(which involved a very small minority,who publicly admitted guilt ) but, the indiscipline(drinking) started before that incident. Sure they were still parading the cup around schools around two weeks before the Galway game. Suppose when ya have not won a Connacht title in 10 years and were not really expected to do alot (despite promising years under Gay Sherrin) suppose they would let themselves go.

Tommy Carr then came in and sought to instill discipline

If i recall right Tommy Carr took over established Div one Roscommon team and he left them in Div 3 then he got his brother in law to take over and the mediocrity continued. Its hugely important that Roscommon don't repeat history now with a panel full of potential, nothing worse than wasting talent and not getting the best out of them for a number of years, Laois a prime example of this.

I think it was said Roscommon had 11 of their starters 24 or under on Sunday and other top young players the likes of Cathal Compton,Ultan Harney,Tom Corcoran,Ciaran Cafferkey,Fergal Lennon were all out injured. Whatever the future holds for Keenan,Collins,Cathal Cregg,The Shines etc i think the three Dalys are far too talented to be ignored but will they be brought back in next year? i think two of them were asked back this summer but went to America instead.

I doubt we will see the 2 Shines or Keenan again but would think we will see Collins and Cregg back.

No idea what will happen with the Daly bros.

At least winning a bit of silverware makes it worthwhile for the lads killing themselves and will always be a boost to a county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

yabadabado wrote: »
    I doubt we will see the 2 Shines or Keenan again but would think we will see Collins and Cregg back.

At least winning a bit of silverware makes it worthwhile for the lads killing themselves and will always be a boost to a county.

There's absolutely no personal issues with Cathal Shine. If he got himself fit over the winter he will most certainly be invited back. His talent has never been in doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Roscommon could be the surprise outfit of the championship. I think they are good enough to win their AI quarter final. After that it all depends who they might get in the semi if they make it that far.

One things for sure, McStay/McHale will have a plan for whichever team they face in the quarters.

I think Roscommon are very capable of winning their next game against Mayo, Cork or Donegal. But Kerry in a semi final, or Dublin in a final? It's a very different story. There is a gap in class between The top 2 and the rest.

yabadabado wrote:

yabadabado wrote:

Would anyone want them back? I wouldn't. You turn your back on your teammates, on your county? They better not come crawling back.

Yes, anyone with even a modicum of sense would like a few of them back. There were very different reasons why many of those players named aren't there this year and to try to make one tidy group of them is a fallacy.

Its hugely important that Roscommon don't repeat history now with a panel full of potential, nothing worse than wasting talent and not getting the best out of them for a number of years, Laois a prime example of this.

Roscommon reached 9 Connacht under 21 finals between 2007 and 2016 which shows you the amount of talent they were producing. During the same period Mayo reached four finals and Galway three. Even those finals Roscommon lost like in 2013 to Galway and last year to Mayo they played both off the field and both Galway and Mayo went on to win the all-ireland. In fact every year between 2010 and 2016 the team that beat Roscommon went onto win the all-ireland.

The gaa in their infinite wisdom decided to get rid of probably the most important grade in gaelic football. Of the starters on Sunday Galway had Silke, O’Curraoin, Flynn, Walsh, Comer, Kerin, Brannigan and Heaney who played in the Connacht under 21 finals of 2013 and 2015 against Roscommon. Roscommon had McInerney, Mulloly, O’Rourke, Diarmuid Murtagh, Enda Smith, Murray, McManus, Connolly and Ciaran Murtagh.

How vital the under 21 has been in producing players for the top teams can be summed up in the fact that Rory O'Carroll, Johnny Cooper, Dean Rock, Jack McCaffrey, Ciaran Reddin, Davey Byrne, Ciaran Kilkenny, Jon Small, Bryan Fenton, Eric Lowndes, Paul Mannion and Cormac Costello played in the games vs Roscommon in 2010, 12 and 2014

Shows how much talent is there that they weren't missed.

If i recall right Tommy Carr took over established Div one Roscommon team and he left them in Div 3 then he got his brother in law to take over and the mediocrity continued. Its hugely important that Roscommon don't repeat history now with a panel full of potential, nothing worse than wasting talent and not getting the best out of them for a number of years, Laois a prime example of this.

I think it was said Roscommon had 11 of their starters 24 or under on Sunday and other top young players the likes of Cathal Compton,Ultan Harney,Tom Corcoran,Ciaran Cafferkey,Fergal Lennon were all out injured. Whatever the future holds for Keenan,Collins,Cathal Cregg,The Shines etc i think the three Dalys are far too talented to be ignored but will they be brought back in next year? i think two of them were asked back this summer but went to America instead.

Carr was terrible bar one enjoyable summer in 2003ish (which involved an embarrassing draw to Leitrim and the annual hammering to Mayo, but surprising wins against Cork , Offally and Kildare and the spirited game against Kerry . Carr had no issue dropping players for the tiniest of offences.

You're linking correlation and causality there in too strong a way for me to stomach. U20/21 teams always contain a county's best players at that age - there will always be an overlap between them future senior teams.

I don't know many players at senior county level who haven't featured at underage for their county. It's important but let's not act as though it's even essential. Kerry have continually proved that the past two decades.

Syferus wrote: »
    You're linking correlation and causality there in too strong a way for me to stomach. U20/21 teams always contain a county's best players at that age - there will always be an overlap between them future senior teams.

I don't know many players at senior county level who haven't featured at underage for their county. It's important but let's not act as though it's even essential. Kerry have continually proved that the past two decades.

Look at the Under 21 Kerry team of 1999 that lost to Westmeath. Paul Galvin, he did alright :D

Syferus wrote: »

Success at under 21 level usually correlates with success at senior. Even Kerry the majority of their greatest ever period played in the under 21 finals of 73, 75, 76, 77. The Kerry under 21 teams of 1995-96 and 1998 formed the backbone of the senior winning teams in 97, 2000 and 2004.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

rossie1977 wrote:
    How vital the under 21 has been in producing players for the top teams can be summed up in the fact that Rory O'Carroll

Rory O'Carroll and James McCarthy won the under
    21 in 2010 and the next year were marking guys like Paul Galvin and Star

Most other lads took a few years to harden to it. That was a particularly unusual occurrence and they are particularly good players if they were both around now they'd both be the best player in their line on the county team. Largly speaking I think lads need to hit the 24 yoa mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

!
    Roscommon didn't make the Minor Final in 1977.

• Advertisement

Yeah seebee is right.They played Mayo in Minor final in 74 and 1980 if that is any use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

seabee wrote: »
    Roscommon didn't make the Minor Final in 1977.

Ah my mistake. Semi final is what I'm after it appears. I am going to contact what was suggested here and the GAA archives.

Many thanks for all you help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

A lot of plaudits has gone in the direction of Kevin McStay and his management team and rightly so as Roscommon were fit,determined,hungry and very focused on Sunday however it should be noted without all of their underage success i don't think that result/performance would have happened.

In 2010 Roscommon won their first Connacht U21 title since 1999. More U21 Connacht titles followed in 2012,2014,2015 and they should have won the 2013,2016 Connacht U21 finals against Galway,Mayo sides who would go on to win those All Irelands. That underage success is why Rocommon got promoted from div 4 to div 1 and why they are the current senior Connacht champions. The next objective for this Roscommon group of players is to win a championship game in Croke Park (should happen if they avoid Mayo) and gain promotion back to Div one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭megadodge

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Success at under 21 level usually correlates with success at senior. Even Kerry the majority of their greatest ever period played in the under 21 finals of 73, 75, 76, 77. The Kerry under 21 teams of 1995-96 and 1998 formed the backbone of the senior winning teams in 97, 2000 and 2004.

How could you possibly forget the final they lost in 1978?????;)

Full of stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

It seems that the entire Roscommon Senior football has gone on a 2 week holiday to Ibiza and are returning on the morning of the quarter final.

How else can one explain the total dissing of their Q/F chances on the Mayo, Donegal and All Ireland discussion treads.:rolleyes:

Oldira wrote: »
    It seems that the entire Roscommon Senior football has gone on a 2 week holiday to Ibiza and are returning on the morning of the quarter final.

How else can one explain the total dissing of their Q/F chances on the Mayo, Donegal and All Ireland discussion treads.:rolleyes:

warm weather training

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Eyes Down Field

Oldira wrote:

I don't like it. It's like they are celebrating now! As if Galway was their All Ireland final, as if the job is done.

They should have the mindset that they are not even half way there. 2 games down 3 games to go.

It doesn't bode well for the quarter final
    They could be thinking their race has run

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 144 ✭✭blazermel

Oldira wrote:

I don't like it. It's like they are celebrating now! As if Galway was their All Ireland final, as if the job is done.

They should have the mindset that they are not even half way there. 2 games down 3 games to go.

It doesn't bode well for the quarter final
    They could be thinking their race has run

In fairness I think the poster is referring to the talking down of any possibility of Roscommon going any further on the other threads on boards. Which is understandable given our poor championship record in recent years.

I would hope the lads are well focused for the next game and I've no doubt that Mc Stay will want to put together back to back consistent performances from this team.

don't want to be too positive as we've no chance the next day out...
    but, Murtagh and Compton have returned to training

• Advertisement

Compton will be a great option to have off the bench, he can play any position from 8-15, but like Enda his best position is probably on the wing.

To be frank, of the those really good underage sides, the best four players to my mind were Diarmuid, Enda, Ultan and Cathal Comp. Even more so than Harney we haven't got to see the best of Comp at senior yet and we may have to wait for 2018, but he has bags of potential if we manage his body carefully.

Advertisement