Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst to first, zero to hero

Options
  • 31-07-2011 8:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

For 8 years in a row and 10 of the last 11, a team that finished last in their division the previous year has won it. So an incredibly high percentage, it's almost a given.

Below are the last place finishers from last season.

Who do you think has the best chance at winning their division and going zero to hero? :)

AFC East: Buffalo Bills (4-12)
    AFC North: Cincinnati Bengals (4-12)
    AFC South: Tennessee Titans (6-10)
    AFC West: Denver Broncos (4-12)
    NFC East: Washington Redskins (6-10)
    NFC North: Minnesota Vikings (6-10)
    NFC South: Carolina Panthers (2-14)
    NFC West: Arizona Cardinals (5-11)

I think the Cardinals are the obvious choice
    Maybe not the Bills :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Yeah, Cardinals would be my shout too.

Hopefully anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭stevemac

AFC East: Buffalo Bills (4-12) - no
    AFC North: Cincinnati Bengals (4-12) - no
    AFC South: Tennessee Titans (6-10) -no
    AFC West: Denver Broncos (4-12) - no, but possible
    NFC East: Washington Redskins (6-10) - nope
    NFC North: Minnesota Vikings (6-10) - maybe
    NFC South: Carolina Panthers (2-14) - not a hope
    NFC West: Arizona Cardinals (5-11) - defo a chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

mikemac wrote: »
    For 8 years in a row and 10 of the last 11, a team that finished last in their division the previous year has won it. So an incredibly high percentage, it's almost a given.

Who do you think has the best chance at winning their division and going zero to hero? :)

What's strange too is how 3 of those teams finished 1st the season before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Cardinals are certainly the best candidates to do so, but Tennessee could be quite dangerous, IF Hasselbeck can last a whole season.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

The Cards weren't that far away, and were winners previously.

Others like the Panthers (dreadful) and the Vikes (Division far too competitive) have little chance, though history shows that that's a dangerous thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

AFC East: Buffalo Bills (4-12) are you mad?
    AFC North: Cincinnati Bengals (4-12) no way
    AFC South: Tennessee Titans (6-10) nah
    AFC West: Denver Broncos (4-12) could, john fox took a 1-15 panthers team to 7-9 the following year and a narrow defeat in the superbowl the year after, he's got a track record of turnarounds. lot of potential in the team
    NFC East: Washington Redskins (6-10) could improve, not that much though
    NFC North: Minnesota Vikings (6-10) as above
    NFC South: Carolina Panthers (2-14) 8-8 ish
    NFC West: Arizona Cardinals (5-11) its between them and us to do it, whiz is a very good coach, there's still loads of talent on that team and the quarterback situation isnt absolute garbage this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Brennaldo II

Vikings or Cardinals I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

mikemac wrote: »

Make that 9 years in a row now!
    Well done to the Broncos. Quite a remarkable statisitic thats gone on for such a long time & always seems unlikely to continue before each NFL season begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

Lionbacker wrote: »
    Well done to the Broncos. Quite a remarkable statisitic thats gone on for such a long time & always seems unlikely to continue before each NFL season begins.

next season with peyton back the colts will give it a fair bash too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭vinny chase

Lionbacker wrote: »

For me, this statistic isn't actually a freak. It's a testament to how well the draft system and free agency works, in that teams rarely remain terrible for too long, like in a lot of other sports.

Obviously, the salary cap is crucial in this too.

Really hope the Buccs keep this trend going next season.

• Advertisement

spiralism wrote: »
    AFC East: Buffalo Bills (4-12) are you mad?
    AFC North: Cincinnati Bengals (4-12) no way
    AFC South: Tennessee Titans (6-10) nah
    AFC West: Denver Broncos (4-12) could, john fox took a 1-15 panthers team to 7-9 the following year and a narrow defeat in the superbowl the year after, he's got a track record of turnarounds. lot of potential in the team
    NFC East: Washington Redskins (6-10) could improve, not that much though
    NFC North: Minnesota Vikings (6-10) as above
    NFC South: Carolina Panthers (2-14) 8-8 ish
    NFC West: Arizona Cardinals (5-11) its between them and us to do it, whiz is a very good coach, there's still loads of talent on that team and the quarterback situation isnt absolute garbage this time.

I love being right, especially when it's my team.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

For me, this statistic isn't actually a freak. It's a testament to how well the draft system and free agency works, in that teams rarely remain terrible for too long, like in a lot of other sports.

Obviously, the salary cap is crucial in this too.

Great point and one of the main reasons I was attracted to the sport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Time for a huuuuuuuuuge bump :)

It's that time of year again

Well done to spiralism who correctly predicted the Broncos would go worst to first, zero to hero

For 9 years in a row and 11 of the last 12, a team that finished last in their division the previous year has won it. So an incredibly high percentage, it's almost a given.

I need your predictions!

AFC East: Buffalo Bills (6-10)
    AFC North: Cleveland Browns (4-12)
    AFC South: Indinapolis Colts (2-14)
    AFC West: Kansas City Chiefs (7-9)
    NFC East: Washington Redskins (5-11)
    NFC North: Minnesota Vikings (3-13)
    NFC South: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)
    NFC West: St Louis Rams (2-14)

My prediction is the Chiefs, I like their D and offense and special teams, some great players and a good coaching staff

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭BigBadRob83

Yeah would have to agree with you Mike, of that sorry lot would have to pick the Chiefs.
    Lot of injuries last year and still had shot of winning division.
    Can't see any of the others having a realistic chance

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

mikemac1 wrote: »
    AFC East: Buffalo Bills (6-10)
    AFC South: Indinapolis Colts (2-14)
    AFC West: Kansas City Chiefs (7-9)
    NFC East: Washington Redskins (5-11)
    NFC North: Minnesota Vikings (3-13)
    NFC South: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)
    NFC West: St Louis Rams (2-14)

I assume that meant to be the Browns.

Anyway my prediction is Chiefs. That divison is up for grabs with all teams having a good shot at topping it. If the Chiefs can avoid injuries to key players unlike what happened last season, they could do it.
    Can also see the Rams and Bills as been outside bets.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The Chiefs are the obvious pick, but they have no hope if Manning is Manning. The Redskins have a shot, they really do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

I'd say the Chiefs, Redskins and Bucs are your best shot. I would have said Bills too and i see them as nearest challengers to Pats but too much of a gap to bridge in one season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Chiefs

(even if I hope to F it does not happen)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

I'd be going with the Chiefs out of those followed by the Redskins and Bucs.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Chiefs or Redskins won it. If the NFC South regresses into mediocrity and Freeman still has it the Buccs could win it. If Bradford finally has a great season the Rams could win the NFC West. The Bills are probably the best of the last placed teams but I give them very little chance in the same division as the Patriots who have to be first or second favourite for the superbowl. The Vikings seem at least a year away. If the Texans D regresses, Chuck Pagano is as good defensively as he was in Baltimore and Luck has a rookie season for the ages, the Colts could do it. The only team I would completely rule out are the Browns, not because of anything in particular, but because they're the Browns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,483 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Personally I'd be favouring the Bucs over the Colts.

The reason I'll take the Bucs is two pronged. Firstly they have done a nice job putting a real good looking team together. Then you look at the division. I expect the Saints to have an awful year, they will be hearing it from the fans on their travels and with their head coach gone for the year I think things will nosedive for them even with Brees still there.
    The Panthers for me needed to strengthen more at WR and they didn't. The Falcons look a serious team and I'd fancy them to win the division but the Bucs could give them a real go for it imo.

Yeah the Colts have lost Manning and a couple of tight ends and receivers but they've put together a pretty decent looking offensive line in front of Luck. They've also picked up Avery and brought in Hilton, to add to Wayne and Collie.
    In the RB department they have added Ballard in the draft and brought in Mewelde Moore who I have always liked. Fleener looks like a clone of Dallas Clark almost. I really think it all rests for them on Luck being what we all expect him to be and then the receivers staying healthy.
    I really do think they can give it a serious shot. I do realise that they are in a rebuilding phase right now but I won't be surprised to see them have a winning season. For me Luck was always the guy who would have a seamless transition from College ball to NFL and I really do believe he is going to be a member of the elite at this level.

Chiefs seem to be everyone's sleeper pick this year and that they'll upset the odds and win the afc west..Manning will have something to say about that if he's at full strength and training camp reports are ominous in that regard. Be warned...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

If Fisher can get the offense going, the Rams wil be dangerous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

AFC East: Buffalo Bills (6-10) I can see them improving, but not jumping over the Patriots. Will give Miami and the Jets a run for their money though.
    AFC North: Cleveland Browns (4-12) Bottom again for the Browns I feel.
    AFC South: Indinapolis Colts (2-14) I think the Colts are in for another long year - 4/5 wins.
    AFC West: Kansas City Chiefs (7-9) After finishing 1 game out of winning the division, the Chiefs are an easy pick to go from worst to first. I think the West will be as tight as last year, with all teams giving an improved showing. No 8-8 winner here next year.
    NFC East: Washington Redskins (5-11) Chiefs aside, the Redskins are my pick as likliest of the bunch to win their division. 9 wins won the division last year and I can see Washington achieve a 9/10 win season
    NFC North: Minnesota Vikings (3-13) No chance of a division win. A lot will depend on how/if AP's returns, With Detroit, Green Bay and Chicago in the same division I can only see bottom again for the Vikes.
    NFC South: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12) The Bucc shouldn't be as bad as last year, but I expect Carolina to be improved, while the Falsons and the Saints should remain solid - bottom again for Tampa with 6 wins.
    NFC West: St Louis Rams (2-14) I was surprised to see how bad the Rams were last season, even with Bradford out - No chance of a division win though this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

If the Bills were in any other division they would be my pick. Think they will make the playoffs but wont topple the Pats.

The Chiefs are obvious pick if Charles, Moeaki and Berry are all fully fit and they'll be my selection.

To those tipping the Redskins. Get a grip. If Griffin can get them back to the same mark 5-11 in his rookie season he will be doing well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

HigginsJ wrote: »
    To those tipping the Redskins. Get a grip. If Griffin can get them back to the same mark 5-11 in his rookie season he will be doing well.

.... a little strong! I agree, he will have to do/will have done very well, but it's achieveable and no huge leap of imagination required imo. RG3 should be an upgrade over Beck/Grossman, and they went 5-7 in the division last year. The defense needs to do better of course, but I actually feel the defense underachieved last year and should be better this season.

I doubt many are tipping the Redskins to win the division without the caveat that they have to pick from teams that finished last the previous year.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Yeah the Colts have lost Manning and a couple of tight ends and receivers but they've put together a pretty decent looking offensive line in front of Luck. They've also picked up Avery and brought in Hilton, to add to Wayne and Collie.
    In the RB department they have added Ballard in the draft and brought in Mewelde Moore who I have always liked. Fleener looks like a clone of Dallas Clark almost. I really think it all rests for them on Luck being what we all expect him to be and then the receivers staying healthy.
    I really do think they can give it a serious shot. I do realise that they are in a rebuilding phase right now but I won't be surprised to see them have a winning season. For me Luck was always the guy who would have a seamless transition from College ball to NFL and I really do believe he is going to be a member of the elite at this level.

Nice post Eagle. Problem is the D. It's barely passable as an NFL Defense IMO, and I can see them in the bottom three or four for points, passing yards, and rushing yards allowed.
    I do agree the Offense will surprise a lot of people but moving to a 3-4 we have no real playmakers on Defense right now, and we need a big draft next season. Either way it's a win-win, because we either get a high draft position, or a surprisingly competitive season.

I see the Bucs and Rams with the best chance of a last to first. Bucs are all around solid, in a division that has been dominated by a now depleted Saints (don't care what anyone says, they'll suffer from their punishments), and Falcons are, to me, a decent team but by no means unbeatable. Panthers, meh! Brees might drag the Saints into a 9/10 win season, but it's a "might". Otherwise, I'll have Tampa bay with, again, a 9/10 division win.

Rams are up against the mediocre seachickens (not a lot of love around here for Seattle teams), and the cardinal's that NEEDED Peyton to even compete, and without him, are not going to trouble anyone of any quality. As for SF, they flattered to deceive. They are not in a million years gonna repeat last years 13-3 season. I'll take anyone on that bet -- with odds. I do think they are better than the Rams, and are a decent team, and will probably take the division, but I'd still give the Rams a teeny, tiny chance (they have the best QB in the division, and I'm a QB man :pac:).

davyjose wrote: »
    Nice post Eagle. Problem is the D. It's barely passable as an NFL Defense IMO, and I can see them in the bottom three or four for points, passing yards, and rushing yards allowed.
    I do agree the Offense will surprise a lot of people but moving to a 3-4 we have no real playmakers on Defense right now, and we need a big draft next season. Either way it's a win-win, because we either get a high draft position, or a surprisingly competitive season.

I think the Colts certainly have a good LB corps, and Chuck Pagano is in my opinion an excellent defensive coach. Expect loads of sacks at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

TaosHum wrote: »
    If Fisher can get the offense going, the Rams wil be dangerous.

Rams season hangs on whether or not their Oline is up to the task of protecting their QB.

Advertisement