Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst to first, zero to hero

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

matthew8 wrote: »
    Chuck Pagano is in my opinion an excellent defensive coach.

He certainly is

Colts were very wise to snap him up and give him a contract.

He'll achieve good things in Indy in time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

The thing with Ravens defensive coordinators is they tend to make awful offensive head coaches. Luckily for Pagano, he may have drafted a guy who will take a lot of the weight off his shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

matthew8 wrote: »
    I think the Colts certainly have a good LB corps, and Chuck Pagano is in my opinion an excellent defensive coach. Expect loads of sacks at the very least.

Too many gaps though. Hopefully you're right. If so I'll expect 8-8. But, the defense is sparse. Zero depth and the DB's would be second or third stringers on some teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

CoachTO wrote: »
    Rams season hangs on whether or not their Oline is up to the task of protecting their QB.

Guys staying healthy for them will be huge. Jackson, Smith, Bradford, Amendola, Saffold and J. Smith are all coming off injuries or have missed substantial time through injury in the past couple years.

I like the way their defensive is shaping up. Some nice FA additions aswell as good draft picks in Brockers and Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

AFC East: Buffalo Bills (6-10)
    AFC North: Cleveland Browns (4-12)
    AFC South: Indianapolis Colts (2-14)
    AFC West: Kansas City Chiefs (7-9)
    NFC East: Washington Redskins (5-11)
    NFC North: Minnesota Vikings (3-13)
    NFC South: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12)
    NFC West: St Louis Rams (2-14)

I think the most likely of that bunch to win their division are the Kansas City Chiefs or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. They are both in tight divisions. I would expect the Rams, Vikings, Redskins and Colts to improve this year. I think the Bills and Browns will come last again in their respective divisions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭JaMarcus Hustle

FishHook wrote: »
    I think the Bills and Browns will come last again in their respective divisions.

You think Miami will finish ahead of the Bills?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭FishHook

You think Miami will finish ahead of the Bills?

Yeah, but it will be close. Patriots to win the division again :mad:...I'm a Jets fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Bills are such a ludicrous pick imo. Pats are looking at at least 12-4 and the division title, so people expecting the famously unlucky/inept bills to make a wildcard are looking at them battling for a wildcard place with one of Cincinnati, Chargers, Kansas and the Broncos at least and ousting all of them. And that's just the safe picks, who knows, Titans and Jets could be in that mix too. Naturally, Baltimore/Pitt will take the other WC spot.

Buffalo will get off the AFC East floor, with Miami replacing them but thats about as far as i expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

spiralism wrote: »
    Buffalo will get off the AFC East floor, with Miami replacing them but thats about as far as i expect.

The AFC East face the AFC South and NFC West. The Patriots, Bill's , Jets could all make the play off's

Which team can go from zero to hero ? Tampa Bay Buccaneers or Kansas City Chiefs that could make the biggest leap forward.

Tampa bay (4-12) because no one knows how the Saints will play this season, Do the Falcons improve ? What do Carolina do ? Its an interesting one. I suspect Newton to have a sophomore slump. Not sure about Falcons new offense coordinator could be a good thing who knows. While Tampa Bay have a new head coach, new work ethic and a young talented team .

Kansas City (7-9) Cassel will be fit, Jamal Charles will be fit , Eric Berry will be fit. I think the AFC West will be a very difficult division. The Raiders have Carlson Palmer who will learn the play book with talented receivers and if Mcfadden can stay fit there going to win enough games to keep them in the mix till near the end of the season. The Bronco's have Manning (If he stays fit) Chargers (They still have Norv Turner.... not a good thing)

My reasoning is both divisions will be very competitive. 10 wins in my opinion will be the max needed to win the each division.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Redskins keep the streak alive, thanks mainly to RG3 & Morris:)
    Quite a few people here tipped them too.

• Advertisement

Ah my thread
    Well the streak is still alive so it'll be bumped again next August :)

Popular pick KC Chiefs bombed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

None this year imho

• Registered Users Posts: 36,312 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

kennyb3 wrote: »
    None this year imho

Meh, Detroit / Cleveland / Tampa all have potential for a big turnaround imo.

The trend isn't some statistical oddity - it is a product of the very way in which the NFL works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

Worth pointing out that 3 of the teams in the NFC south finished 7-9 and level on quite a few tiebreakers. Any one of those 3 could easily rise to the top. Buffalo could with a good coaching change, Detroit could if they got their **** together, Philly with a good coach could turn around fast, there is still a lot of talent on that team... All good teams with minor or coaching flaws. Not counting KC in here, they have a big hole at QB with a weak draft and FA class, as well as front office turmoil.

Way too early to say yet though, good bit left in this season sure!

Huzzah, it's time for yet another bump for year three :)

Denver did it two years ago and last year it was Washington. Some boardsies tipped these teams so well done. Can you do it again for 2013?

For 10 years in a row and 12 out of the last 13 a team that finished last in their division the previous year has won it. So an incredibly high percentage, it's almost a given.

Below are the last place finishers from last season.

Who do you think has the best chance at winning their division and going zero to hero?

AFC North: Cleveland Browns (5-11)
    AFC South: Jacksonville Jaguars (2-14)
    AFC West: Kansas City Chiefs (2-14)
    NFC East: Philadelphia Eagles (4-12)
    NFC North: Detroit Lions (4-12)
    NFC South: Tampa Bay Buccaneers (7-9)
    NFC West: Arizona Cardinals (5-11)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I'll go for the Chiefs and the Bucs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Huzzah, it's time for yet another bump for year three :)

Denver did it two years ago and last year it was Washington. Some boardsies tipped these teams so well done. Can you do it again for 2013?

For 10 years in a row and 12 out of the last 13 a team that finished last in their division the previous year has won it. So an incredibly high percentage, it's almost a given.

Below are the last place finishers from last season.

Who do you think has the best chance at winning their division and going zero to hero?

There's a few there with a chance but I'd give the Eagles the best shot at taking their division.

The Buccs and Chiefs would have outside chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Chiefs & Eagles

Hard to see it even if you ignore the QB issue and others, simply being in NE's division makes it tough.
    Lots of people are optimistic about the Browns going forward, but I find it hard to see anything but another last place finish.
    Among the worst in the league. Everything has to go right just to get a winning record.
    Broncos look very good, but Alex Smith, good offensive line, decent receivers, Jamaal Charles, some quality defensive players, means they could be next in line if Broncos slip up.
    It's not too long ago they were division champs so there's definitely a chance.
    I quite like them, by far the best potential passing game of all the last placed teams, and if Bush can provide the running yardage and the D-line can live up to expectations they can be a serious team. Don't fancy the Vikings or Bears this year for the division, and who knows, the Packers might win a couple less than usual.
    Looking good, but Falcons are so consistently good they'll need to be brilliant.
    In the same division as 49ers and Seahawks. Too much of a gap.

I'm going to go for the Detroit Lions

Vikings and Bears don't impress me and Green Bay may be excellent but any team can have an off year. They've lost some veteran players

I want to pick the Chiefs with Jamaal Charles, the Oline and talented D with Eric Berry & Tamba Hali and others but they burned me last year. I'm still can't figure out how their record was so poor with such an excellent roster! I watched them run all over Baltimore last season and still manage to lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Lions I'd say!

Eagles might but that's as much about question marks over RG3 and the Cowboys not being very good, as it is about how good the Eagles could "potentially" be! Giants could put in one of their good years too!

Chiefs have a chance cuz there's only really Denver in their division!

The rest have no hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

None of the above will do it this year:eek:

You're saying a ten year streak will be broken? :eek:

Brave man!

The Bucs or Lions will do it. They're long shots though.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd go with the Eagles as having the best chance. The NFC East is such a close division with not much between the teams in terms of talent (bookies odds reflect this, with the Redskins favourites at 2/1, Cowboys 13/5, Redskins 11/4 and Eagles 4/1) and Chip Kelly's offense will have the element of surprise this year especially which could catch plenty of teams on the hop.

Next best for me would be the Chiefs. Top running game, a workable quarterback and a good D, but I do expect the Broncos to win the division.

The third best chance would be the Bucs. They will have a seriously improved defense this year, potentially one of the best in the league if everything goes right, but as Matthew has said being in Atlanta's division makes it tough.

A lot of people will fancy the Lions to do this, but I think their coaching (and discipline issues) stops them from being anywhere near as good as they could be and I don't think Green Bay will have the down year which would be required.

Jaguars, Browns, Bills and Cardinals have about as much chance as me waking up beside Mila Kunis tomorrow morning.

So, IMO:

1) Eagles
    2) Chiefs
    3) Bucs

4) Lions

5) Jaguars, Browns, Bills, Cardinals

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Skins and Cowboys will do worse this year IMO. We could do slightly worse but I don't think the Eagles are going to do that much better. I think they might struggle again this year. The Cowboys won't be as good and they could have major trouble on their DLine and RGIII won't take as many risks and the offence won't be as effective. We could struggle this year too especially if Eli has another average year. I still think we might win the division.

I think the Bucs have the best chance but I can't see any of those teams turning it around that much. Maybe the Cheifs can do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

Lions and Eagles is my guess.
    For the Lions all their new additions should give them a decent chance. Bush adds some much needed balance to their offence & the secondary is looking much improved along with a huge D-line (all starters are over 6 foot 5! Expect to see a few batted balls).

My other fancy is the Eagles purely on the basis that the division is very closely matched. I can't see RGIII replicating what he did last year. The Cowboys are very hit or miss & the Giants didn't seem to improve their defence all that much. The Eagles under Chip Kelly should be in with a good shout.

Outside bet would be the Browns:eek:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'd discount the Bucs straight away. Atlanta is one of the leagues best teams. Also as was pointed out, the three other teams all finished 7-9 last year, any of them could win it. The Eagles intrigue me and would be my pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I'm saying no one will this year either.

• Advertisement

Every year they say it can't be done and it happens. However, last year the run of 5 new playoff teams came to an end and only 4 new teams made it in.

Advertisement