Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lithium Ion Battery charger

Options
  • 31-07-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a device to charge this battery :
    DSCN2058.jpg

You can see where the three connectors are above .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Instead of posting a (poor) photo of the (upside down) battery, why don't you say what device the battery is intended for?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Its belonging to a Chinese phone - this one :
    chinavasion-CVSCY-9400-SILVER-osiris-1.jpg

The problem is that the input socket is broken , and we have no way of charging the battery .

I understand, can't help I'm afraid. I see that the terminals are in the centre which is bad news, most Nokias that I'm familiar with have off centre terminals so it's unlikely that the battery will fit into a regular mobile phone.

It used to be possible to buy desktop chargers for mobile phone batteries but that's a long time ago, nowadays the only way to charge a battery is when it's in the phone.

I think you've just learned why people don't buy non-standard brands, they're a false economy because you can't get anyone to repair them and you can't buy replacement batteries. Stick with Nokia/HTC/Sony/Samsung/Apple and you can't go wrong.

Thanks for the advice ,

As you can see, what we are trying to do on this thread , is charge a lithium-ion-battery , when the battery is outside the mobile phone .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

I'm not advocating this, but you could modify the charger to connect directly to the battery terminals and clamp them on. It would probably work, for the short term anyway.

Major problem with this is the fact that current will not stop flowing through the battery when it's full, and it could explode, and is a significant fire hazard at the very least.

Actually yeah, you may as well just buy a new phone.

I'm not advocating this, but you could modify the charger to connect directly to the battery terminals and clamp them on. It would probably work, for the short term anyway.

Thanks - its worth a try ..........I must admit that it is an unusual battery .

but even so , why is it not possible to charge mobile phone batteries outside of the mobile phone , the same as it is with digital camera batteries . ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

but even so , why is it not possible to charge mobile phone batteries outside of the mobile phone , the same as it is with digital camera batteries . ?

Because a lot of people use spare batteries with digital cameras so having a battery charging cradle allows you to use the camera while charging the second battery. Very few people keep spare batteries for their mobile phones so the practical way to charge it is to plug the charger straight into the phone, using a cradle would leave you high and dry if you lost it or left it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭rayh

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a device to charge this battery :
    DSCN2058.jpg

You can see where the three connectors are above .

I have an old unit as per attached. Battery sizes are 55 x 43.5 x 5.5.
    If this is of any use PM me.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the support Ray , but unfortunately it is the input socket on the phone that is damaged , so a charger is no use .

But that is the charger all right .

Spacedog wrote: »

Thanks for the link there spacedog

If that device will charge a single battery on its own , then it is what i am looking for .

Its out of stock at the moment , but expeceted in again soon .

I wonder is tehre a device like it on eBay ?

Thanks for the support Ray , but unfortunately it is the input socket on the phone that is damaged , so a charger is no use .

But that is the charger all right .

Am I missing something here? The input socket in the phone is broken and obviously you can't get it fixed because it's a Chinese model. So in your original post you asked... Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a device to charge this battery :

Rayh posts a link to a picture of an old charger that he is offering to give you and your reply is that that charger is the one you need but you don't want it because 'a charger is no use'.

In case you didn't notice, what he is offering is an external charger which takes the battery when it's taken out of the phone which is exactly what you need, did you look at the photo of the charger he posted a link to?

Thanks coylemj - I was missing something all right

That is a charging unit - should do the trick -

pm been sent to rayh

Advertisement