Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valuation of Vinyl's?

Options
  • 31-07-2011 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I've recently been tasked with selling my dads unwanted records...But neither of us know how much they are worth.

So i am here to ask if anyone knows were i could go(preferably online) to try and get an idea of how much they are worth before selling them on...don't want to sell them and find out in three weeks one of the records was worth a whole lot more

Cheers
    busyliving

P.S I have already posted this in Collectables & Antiques, but just thought I'd probably get an answer from the people in the the music section...To the mods sorry for creating another thread:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Choochtown

e bay might be useful. Search for a particular album and see what it's owner is asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

It depends what kind of stuff is in the collection, to be honest. Unfortunately, the vast majority of LPs aren't worth a great deal of money, even in mint condition. I say this as someone who has always bought vinyl where possible, and has no intention of changing. Original (or, for artists of a certain vintage, mono) pressings of albums by major acts, e.g. The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Queen, etc., can be collectable, as well as certain elusive titles, e.g., specific picture discs or 7" singles (with picture sleeves), but otherwise, they're not going to be worth a great deal.

Having said that, it would be worth doing some investigation. A cursory look on eBay (do an advanced search, with "completed listings" selected) will indicate how much people have been willing to pay for certain albums in the past. Reputable collectors' sites such as eil.com will give you an idea of how much certain records are worth, but you'd need to make sure that their pressing is the same as yours. No sense getting excited because they have a mono Sgt. Pepper from 1967 that's worth a decent amount if yours is a stereo pressing from the 1980s.

Ironically, second hand record stores are more interested in LPs now than CDs, and you will get more for vinyl than CD, but it depends very much on the condition and what the items are. Record stores will grab certain things if they know there's a market for them, but they wouldn't be interested in anything that they know they'll be stuck with.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Take a look at www.cdandlp.com for a better view of the market than ebay; it's a market for independent sellers who price their wares based on quality, age, release etc. Ignore prices from some of the chancers on that site such as rock house.

Like anything the value of a record is what someone is prepared to pay for it. If someone wants the record bad enough they will pay a lot for it - I've paid over 100 euro for a record in good condition.

Would it be possible to pm a list of what you're selling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

Take a look at www.cdandlp.com for a better view of the market than ebay; it's a market for independent sellers who price their wares based on quality, age, release etc. Ignore prices from some of the chancers on that site such as rock house.

Like anything the value of a record is what someone is prepared to pay for it. If someone wants the record bad enough they will pay a lot for it - I've paid over 100 euro for a record in good condition.

Would it be possible to pm a list of what you're selling?

PM sent mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

have a look at

http://www.discogs.com/

its a complete database and marketplace for Vinyl records, best on the net for Vinyl nerds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I sold part of my collection recently to a record shop in Dublin.

Got roughly 4 euros an lp and sold them as a job lot as I didnt want to have to deal with someone cherrypicking the best, so they took the good with the bad or unwanted.

Was very happy to with price I got.

The collection was from late 70's to early 90s and covered mostly rock but with some soul, jazz, blues, classical etc.

busyliving wrote: »
    Hey all,

I've recently been tasked with selling my dads unwanted records...But neither of us know how much they are worth.

So i am here to ask if anyone knows were i could go(preferably online) to try and get an idea of how much they are worth before selling them on...don't want to sell them and find out in three weeks one of the records was worth a whole lot more

Cheers
    busyliving

P.S I have already posted this in Collectables & Antiques, but just thought I'd probably get an answer from the people in the the music section...To the mods sorry for creating another thread:)

bullpost wrote: »
    I sold part of my collection recently to a record shop in Dublin.

Got roughly 4 euros an lp and sold them as a job lot as I didnt want to have to deal with someone cherrypicking the best, so they took the good with the bad or unwanted.

Was very happy to with price I got.

The collection was from late 70's to early 90s and covered mostly rock but with some soul, jazz, blues, classical etc.

What was the condition of the lp's in general(from sleeves & records)...Also can you remember the name of the record store?

PM sent.
    busyliving wrote: »
    What was the condition of the lp's in general(from sleeves & records)...Also can you remember the name of the record store?

PM sent.

Cheers Mate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Drop me a list by PM too please

The Record Collector Rare Records Guide might be of interest to you. I have the 2004 copy on my bookshelf, as I have a few rare LPs in the collection.

• Advertisement

christeb wrote: »
    Drop me a list by PM too please

The Record Collector Rare Records Guide might be of interest to you. I have the 2004 copy on my bookshelf, as I have a few rare LPs in the collection.

PM sent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

Can someone recommend a record shop to buy vinyl please ?

http://www.recordjunkie.com/stores/view/592
    Can someone recommend a record shop to buy vinyl please ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

any chance of a pm as I buy quite a lot of vinyl?

Thank you this looks great.

ledgebag1 Pm sent I have a good few more to log down in coming days.
    Bullpost thanks for the info very appreciated.

Advertisement