Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC speed very slow

• 31-07-2011 8:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

On 25mb UPC broadband in swords north Dublin. Since the downtime yesterday the best speed I've had is .4 mb download, and .1 upload. I've re-booted the modem, no change.

Presume this is result of the downtime yesterday, and UPC will address when everyone back in work on Tuesday.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

In applewood on 25mb package experienced the outage yesterday but all back to normal (sic). Currently getting 13.5 wirelessly and just shy of 20 via ps3.

Check with an ethernet cable to get a true reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 MauriceRKK

In swords, same problem although I can't connect to internet at all. Tethering on my phone at the minute and pulling 2mbps. Seem to be having this problem around noon each day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hate to state the obvious, but did anyone actually contact UPC about their problems yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭disco girl

Swords here too. I was on to them earlier, my modem just keeps re-setting itself and my phone is so noisy, he was able to see that it was re-setting but said there wasn't any fault on the line or in the area.

But he did say that since Saturday he has noticed a lot of people ringing in and there seems to be a lot of dropped "dhcp" connections.......

Thankfully moving up to 50mb tomorrow so will finally be rid of this horrible cisco modem!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mavvvy

Slow here in templeogue also have a ping of 90ms to a server in the UK. Variable packetloss also. On the 50mb service

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Really crawling here too after supposed speed increase. Could my old WRT54GS just not be up to it? It's only 25Meg I think though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

Yep, the internet keeps cutting out constantly.
    It's so annoying. And it's definitely losing speed when it does work. We have the 30meg package and it should not be as slow as it is.

Not bothering to ring UPC and I can't see them doing anything anyway.

Wish I could get rid of the Cisco modem, it works a lot better when we plug the Ethernet cable in. Wifi is a constant nightmare :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Really crawling here too after supposed speed increase. Could my old WRT54GS just not be up to it? It's only 25Meg I think though.

G router. I had one myself but it doesnt hold a candle to the Thomsonthat UPC supplies when it comes to speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    i had a WRT54GS on the 30mbps before i upgraded to the 100mbps and it used to handle the speed fine. i only upgraded it (to a linksys e3000) because i knew it wouldn't be able to make the most of the extra speed.
    Saaron wrote: »
    Not bothering to ring UPC and I can't see them doing anything anyway.

Wish I could get rid of the Cisco modem, it works a lot better when we plug the Ethernet cable in. Wifi is a constant nightmare :mad:
    no offence (and i hate to sound like someone's mother :o), but that isn't going to get anything fixed is it?

i assume you've done a wireless survey using inSSIDer and confirmed it's not just interference from neighbours wifi (and tried different wireless channels)?

if so, then what have you got to lose by calling UPC and complaining and seeing what they'll do. if you keep complaining it will get fixed one way or another. i know someone who got 10mbps installed earlier in the year and they hadn't any cisco routers so they gave him a thompson one instead.

it's very much going to be the luck of the draw, but if the cisco isn't actually (technically) broken, but it's causing you a lot of issues then them replacing it with another cisco one isn't likely to fix the problem, but if you keep at them, the next time time after that if you still have issues you might get lucky and get a thompson one instead which will open up the world of 5Ghz interference free wifi to you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Acting up in Cork as well, slower than normal but main problem is inability to complete downloads so can't buffer video and can't do a speed test because the test download stops after a while.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

What's really confusing me is how my £90 Android tablet is loading pages (full ones) kind of OK and hitting maybe 50kb/s with download but my Dell 2.0Ghz laptop may as well be offline!
    Is it all down to the "upgrade"?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Mavvvy

Hi everyone,

See my post in this thread,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056355866

I've done a good bit of testing, and if you run some tracert's I would not be surpised if that dbln-t2core-a-ae-0-0.aorta.net [213.46.165.2] is slowing you down as well. It gets even more nutty if you have someone try to run a tracert on you from a different network.

I've logged a call with Upc on this.... but well we will see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Is anybody else experiencing slow speeds with UPC last night and now.. just getting 1 2 3 mb down and upload speed seems ok ??

Advertisement