Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Countdown to LC Results 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭gruffler91

xaoifsx wrote: »
    ya i knew there was something missing.. well i can get them from the school no prob.. just wondering for a few of my friends who won't be in the country for the 17th!

i say u can just ring the school up any day now and they will give it to you?

Ya you can do that & there shouldn't be any problem. Unsure of the situation in other schools but mine has been closed for the last 2 weeks so maybe yours could be closed as well but I would definitely try ringing anyway to see if you get a response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

does anyone know if you get the results online, will the results statement be sent to the house by the school or sec?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Miss Brightside

I'm starting to get soo nervous whenever I even think about the results! I actually even had a dream about it a few nights ago, I dreamt I got the results but I was too scared to open them and so left them lying on the windowsill for a few days.. when I finally opened them I didn't get the points I wanted :( Really hope that dream wasn't foreshadowing! :/

My school gave us the pins but I lost mine! Will the school have another copy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

I'm starting to get soo nervous whenever I even think about the results! I actually even had a dream about it a few nights ago, I dreamt I got the results but I was too scared to open them and so left them lying on the windowsill for a few days.. when I finally opened them I didn't get the points I wanted :( Really hope that dream wasn't foreshadowing! :/

they will, just have to wait until they are there, i thought my dreams were crazy :L

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

i had a dream that i got okayish in everything except biology (i don't know what the okayish mark was but i wasn't upset over them!!) and in biology i got a d or something. and i cried and i went on a trantrum and i attacked everyone... it was quite weird.. its safe to say i won't be reacting like that

but ill be very upset about my biology mark if it isn't a good one!! :'(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Capricorn93

The results are up a bit earlier than the SEC say. Last year my sis logged in to get her results at around 10 o clock and they were there.
    Twas funny, she wasn't expecting anything to come up (thought they wouldn't be up untill 12) and she just threw the laptop at me ran and around the house yelling.:D
    My turn this year! We'll be on hols so it won't be too pressurising as I'll be opening them on my own.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

I have been reading a few peoples replies and a few of ye are mentioning stories of Principles knowing the results when handing out the envelope. I was told that this wasn't the case and that they don't know what the results are.

In terms of opening mine I'm pretty sure I'll either do it on my own or with my best friends. No matter what I get I'll definitely tell people if they ask. I would be a little offended if people wouldn't tell me in return though. I don't really like peoples secrecy about results unless they did terribly bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭ChloeElla

BazDel wrote: »
    I have been reading a few peoples replies and a few of ye are mentioning stories of Principles knowing the results when handing out the envelope. I was told that this wasn't the case and that they don't know what the results are.

My friend told me last year that the principal told a girl she hadn't got her points, though my friend's girlfriend was talking about it last night & said when she got her results a few years ago, the principal wanted people to open their results in front of him. This is the same principal, so I really don't know!

I would be a little offended if people wouldn't tell me in return though. I don't really like peoples secrecy about results unless they did terribly bad.

Some people don't like telling others though because there's always those smug gits that'll say something like "Oh you only got a B2? I got an A1, I so wasn't expecting it, blah blah blaaaah" and even if you were happy with your results, they'll make you feel like crap. Plus, if I say to someone "Yeah I'm happy with them", it'd irritate me if they said "Yeah but what did you get?" It's my business!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

It happened to my cousin last year. He told her before she even opened the envelope that she hadn't gotten her first choice.
    In terms of opening mine I'm pretty sure I'll either do it on my own or with my best friends. No matter what I get I'll definitely tell people if they ask. I would be a little offended if people wouldn't tell me in return though. I don't really like peoples secrecy about results unless they did terribly bad.

As ChloeElla said, your results are your own business. I'm not telling anybody, just a select few who I completely trust. It's the only way to avoid cocky idiots comparing, and avoid them leaving you feel like sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭BazDel

Okay I accept what ye are saying but ye didn't read my post properly. I said If people ask me and I told them it wouldn't be fair for them not to tell me in return.

I'm really only taking about my close friends here. The LC has been the main focus of our lives for the last year and for someone who you talked about everything to not to say how it went is a bit of a letdown.

• Advertisement

Okay I accept what ye are saying but ye didn't read my post properly. I said If people ask me and I told them it wouldn't be fair for them not to tell me in return.

I'm really only taking about my close friends here. The LC has been the main focus of our lives for the last year and for someone who you talked about everything to not to say how it went is a bit of a letdown.

Sorry!:o

I'm not telling my close friends. Nothing personal, but I'm not telling anyone who did the LC this year. But I'd be the same as you; if I did divulge my results to someone else, it'd really bother me if they didn't do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Sorry!:o

I'm not telling my close friends. Nothing personal, but I'm not telling anyone who did the LC this year. But I'd be the same as you; if I did divulge my results to someone else, it'd really bother me if they didn't do the same.

This is how I feel too. And since I'm aiming for and need 500+, chances are I'll have better results then most, hopefully, so I won't ask a soul bar those I know who are as good, if not better then me. But obviously not the medicines either! It's really complicated, nothing worse then insulting someone or making them feel bad just for being curious!

Sorry, I misread a bit too! :P I'd be mad at people not telling me if I told them, but I have two friends whom I know will be genuinely happy/ upset about my results depending on my reaction, so I'll tell them. But at the same time, obviously I'm better at some subjects than them, and they're better than me at others, so it's a little bit awkward if you're lamenting getting a B1 in Biology, while they were really happy with their C3 in it or something. Other than the two of them, I'm pretty sure I'll just say that I'm happy with I got / was a little disappointed, without going into details. Then again, I could get overcome with emotion on the day (hopefully positively) & tell the cats in the street! :D

brian93 wrote: »
    This is how I feel too. And since I'm aiming for and need 500+, chances are I'll have better results then most, hopefully, so I won't ask a soul bar those I know who are as good, if not better then me. But obviously not the medicines either! It's really complicated, nothing worse then insulting someone or making them feel bad just for being curious!

It all depends! I'm aiming for and need 500+ as well, but had a bit of a nervous breakdown during the exams. I'll actually be embarrassed if I don't get what everyone expects, so it's easier not to tell. And a little less upsetting:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 448 ✭✭Bbbbolger

I'll tell my friends and after that, anyone who asks. If they ask they want to know so I wont feel embarassed if I did better than them. I wont act smug or anything. If I get a good result it'll be nice telling people about it. If I do worse than those who asks I wont mind as long as they're not too smug about their own results. But I have a fair idea of the few who would be like that so I'll try avoid them. If people start asking about individual subjects I probably wont tell them each result. I dont want to compare subjects and individual grades. At the end of the day I dont care if someone beat me in a few subjects. They can beat me in all of them as long as I get my no.1 choice! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21 itssnowing18

In our school our principal and all the teachers know our results before we collect them... thats the way its always been but they don't pass any remarks unless the student did really well... like last year the principal only told the students that got 600 points what they got before opening the envelope...

Bbbbolger wrote: »
    They can beat me in all of them as long as I get my no.1 choice! :P

So true!

In a years time nobody will ask what you got in your leaving cert, instead they'll ask you what course you are doing. So if you manage to barely scrape your course, or manage to get 100 points over it, it will probably never matter to anyone*

*Bar some employers maybe, but that's not to be worried about for another while! :pac:

In our school our principal and all the teachers know our results before we collect them... thats the way its always been but they don't pass any remarks unless the student did really well... like last year the principal only told the students that got 600 points what they got before opening the envelope...

That'd still irritate me! Maybe I'm a spoilt brat, but they're MY results, I want to see them first! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I think our teachers note our results too to keep records, I'm not sure if that's general policy, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't.

Not too bothered if they know it - as long as they're not sighing at me or anything while I'm opening them. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21 itssnowing18

jumpguy wrote: »
    Not too bothered if they know it - as long as they're not sighing at me or anything while I'm opening them. :P

I'm not to bothered bou mine knowin either as long as they keep dissapointed reactions to themselves :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 461 ✭✭carefulnow100

Best a luck to everyone btw, I hated the nights beofre my results came ou! no sleep at all!:eek:

my friend last year got someone elses results in the envelope. the principal and the dept. principal panicked because they dont know how they ended up with that problem..since they were the ones packing the envelopes.. and while one was looking for my friends results the other told her what she got.. and all the results of everyone were written down on a sheet.

i was told they did that for the junior cert..write all the results down b4 handing them out.. so thats what they prob gonna do with the LC results..

I think its crap that they do that. i wouldnt want the school to know what i got..esp if i did bad!! they only do it for record purposes... but they should be more confidental about it..

or in my friends case dont read out her results to her from another sheet!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭aoife_bennett

gruffler91 wrote: »
    So doomsday is drawing ever closer.....am I the only one who cannot stop thinking about the results??
    Christ on a bike no, you're really not. . . The sleepless nights have already begun like!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭LittleMissLost

I don't know what it's like in your schools but the majority of girls in my school are SO bitchy when it comes to results. I know from JC,mocks etc that if you do better than someone they will give you such horrible vibes/looks/comments and bitch behind your back and make excuses as to why you did good "oh she got grinds in EVERY subject (I got no grinds at all) and she cheated"

That's why I'm in two minds about sharing my results. It's the same with my family. My cousin did the LC this year too and I know (from JC) that if she gets less than me her mother will be making up excuses for her until the cows come home.

I wish they knew that I really didn't care and that I'm happy for anyone who gets what they want! Even some of my "friends" would say well done then bitch behind my back.

Eugh why can't I be a boy :pac:

I'm really nervous. Like most people, I haven't a clue how I've done. My guessing range for points has 150 between the lowest and highest.

SO NERVOUS
    That makes two of us. . . Last night I tried guessing my English grade, based on how I think I answered each individual question. That only got me even more worried. . . I HATE ALL THIS WAITING!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭bren2001

xaoifsx wrote: »
    my friend last year got someone elses results in the envelope. the principal and the dept. principal panicked because they dont know how they ended up with that problem..since they were the ones packing the envelopes.. and while one was looking for my friends results the other told her what she got.. and all the results of everyone were written down on a sheet.

i was told they did that for the junior cert..write all the results down b4 handing them out.. so thats what they prob gonna do with the LC results..

I think its crap that they do that. i wouldnt want the school to know what i got..esp if i did bad!! they only do it for record purposes... but they should be more confidental about it..

or in my friends case dont read out her results to her from another sheet!!

Its general practice for the school to open your results and note them. Sure you dont even get the official piece of paper from the Dept. its a photocopy, the school holds onto the official one for you. You can request it if you want but if you lose it I don't know what you would do.

ChloeElla wrote: »
    I know one girl though who got told by her principal that she hadn't got the points she needed as he handed over the envelope... They really shouldn't do that!
    Christ now that's just harsh. . .

bren2001 wrote: »
    Its general practice for the school to open your results and note them. Sure you dont even get the official piece of paper from the Dept. its a photocopy, the school holds onto the official one for you. You can request it if you want but if you lose it I don't know what you would do.

its a photocopy!!! really??

well if they are meant to do that they shouldnt let on that they do it.. some people take their results very personally and i would be angry if the school told me my results..with them knowing what you got b4 u.. i know they do anyway.. but they shouldnt tell the students!!

I think my school gives out the original copy, it depends on the school really. I'm pretty sure that the principal/vice-principal know your results. Hopefully they won't count up the points though, that would annoy me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭bren2001

brian93 wrote: »
    I think my school gives out the original copy, it depends on the school really. I'm pretty sure that the principal/vice-principal know your results. Hopefully they won't count up the points though, that would annoy me!

The original copies have colour on them and are not just grey. Any students grades Ive seen (I'm a grinds teacher so have seen quite a few) are not the original. As far as I am aware they are required to keep your results for a period of 6 years (old teacher told me) and then are not legally obligied.

Under the Data Protection Act you can request a copy, but I dont think the grades are technically for you but for the school as opposed to the CAO offers which have nothing to do with the school, thats just my reasoning/guessing.

Advertisement